Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/18/2011 7:15:42 PM EDT
I should havemy first AR in hand in the next few days and I'm already giddy with excitement (yes, I said giddy) about the accessories I plan to buy.  I was wondering what everyone feels are the absolute MUST have items to put on or in the AR once one becomes an AR owner.  I know I want at least three more mags to start and I know I will be buying plenty of ammo.  So...with the "get ammo" thing out of the way, what else should I get???
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I should havemy first AR in hand in the next few days and I'm already giddy with excitement (yes, I said giddy) about the accessories I plan to buy.  I was wondering what everyone feels are the absolute MUST have items to put on or in the AR once one becomes an AR owner.  I know I want at least three more mags to start and I know I will be buying plenty of ammo.  So...with the "get ammo" thing out of the way, what else should I get???

Ammo.

You're first AR you'll no doubt want to weigh down with heavy chinese optics, flashlights and rails.  Eventually, you'll want to put the plastic handguard back on and learn to shoot effectively off Iron sights.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Spare parts kit, spare bolt.....and then more ar's.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]
A good, basic two point sling

A good cleaning kit
CLP
A nice supply of USGI mags
Ammo
A rifle case

Not much else you need
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Honestly, I don't want any fancy optics on my HD gun.  Knowing me, I will probably get a 22 cal AR for my kids to plink with and I would get an optic on that.  I plan on sticking with iron sights.  I do want a flashlight though.  Any suggestions for a newb?

I definitely want a good sling.  

Thanks for the opinions guys...keep 'um coming!!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#5]
sling.

then shoot the shit out of it just how it is.  

a few thousand rounds down the road youll know for yourself what you need to change/add better than we can tell you.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#6]
A good tactical case and cleaning kit should be on your list.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A good, basic two point sling
http://www.appleseedstore.flyingcart.com/images/sling.jpg

A good cleaning kit
CLP
A nice supply of USGI mags
Ammo
A rifle case

Not much else you need

Perfect.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Most of my rifles have an optic, sling, VFG, and flashlight. I tried a chinese laser, and quickly sold it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#9]
A light. They are nice but youll learn you can live without Magpul stuff.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Can be said any better than this.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#11]
A sling, a light, and ammo. Shoot the piss out of it. Get some professional training. Compete in 3 gun or action rifle matches.

DO NOT buy anything else until you've done all the above. Once you've got a lot of trigger time and training under your belt and are reasonably proficient with your rifle, then you'll know what you need and what you don't. Otherwise you'll spend a bunch of money on cheap ghetto grips and Chinese red dots and lasers. Your rifle will look like it fell through a CTD catalog, the shit will break, you'll discover most of it is useless and heavy anyway.....   If you must buy something, do lots of research, see if you can try it out on a friend's rifle or a blue gun at a local shop, and be sure to buy quality products.

Of course, you won't listen to any of that advice anyway, so go ahead and go full retard with TACTICAL FOUR RAILED LAZER 3 COLOR SNIPER RED DOT MULTI RETICLE SCOPE MASTER BLASTER.

ETA: I guess that was a bit rude. You're on the right track by asking what makes sense so maybe you won't waste a bunch of money on cheap shit. A .22lr conversion kit can get you a lot more trigger time and save a bunch of money. Surefire, Pentagon, and Elzetta all make really good lights. Best bang for the buck would probably be a G3 LED attached to this.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#12]
When I buy a new AR to add to my existing firearms I usually get at least four new Magpul PMAG 30rd (or USGI 30rd mags), then I get a sling and light for it, then I get another three to four mags.

Get a nice two point sling like a Vickers, Viking Tactics, or Gear Sector, etc, if you don't want to spend the money now just get a basic USGI nylon sling and upgrade it later on.

I would recommend a good quality reliable light like Surefire or equivalent brands.

If you have a carbine gas system, a must have is a BCM extractor upgrade kit, I have them on my three carbine gas AR.

I've been using SLiP 2000 EWL lube for several years now on all my semi auto carbines and rifles, try it you'll like it.

Lastly a cleaning kit and nylon soft gun case with good amount of foam padding, I prefer the rectangular shape ones because they don't tip when placed on the floor.

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know. I have reverted back to the basics and away from the tactical crap but I do like the MOE handguard and don't think I can live without the enhanced trigger guard.

But back on topic: A G.I. sling, boresnake and front sight tool. (In before the "you can use a bullet tip" milspec police chime in on this post)

ETA: either a G.I. cleaning kit or broken shell extractor. Stuck cases can be cleared with the cleaning rod and I have removed 2 broken cases with a chamber brush. I have BSE's but never used them.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#14]
30 more mags
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Yup, GI cleaning kit. Met a guy shooting today with a filthy chamber causing steel cases to hang up. Got to have a chamber brush to properly clean the chamber.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes ammo is a must
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#17]
All of the above, but I like a decent optic.  Of course, I do a lot of CQB training, and target acquisition with a parallax free, heads-up, both eyes open display is something I love.  No magnifiers and it has to be accurate and fast.  I am good w/ irons, but I am good and faster with my optic.  If you are going for something else, an optic may not be right for you though.

I will refrain from mentioning the optic that I prefer here.  The best advice is to try different ones (if you want an optic) and choose what works best for you.  Remember, if you go magnified, it makes for difficult target acquisition at close ranges.  Iron sights are better than a magnified optic for CQB.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#18]
A must have....

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#19]
ACOG
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 10:36:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Must haves?

-Sling

-Flashlight

-Vertical Foregrip

Those are three things every one of my rifles has. The sling for proper handling and "hands free" capability if necessary. The flashlight as all of my guns are rifles I would grab in an emergency and I refuse to own a gun for self-defense that doesn't have a light. The vertical grip is a purely preferential thing. I just love the way the rifle handles with a vertical grip. If you don't like vert grips, you can definitely skip it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Pick up a nice case ....and a reservation for a basic carbine course, if you have never taken one,,,,

(Two day basic carbine course I have helped teach)
Nomenclature
Disassembly / Assembly
Maintenance
Magazine selection
Sight types
Slings  
Ammunition

Practical application will include Weapons Safety; Sight Alignment / Sight Picture; Trigger Control; Loading / Unloading / Reloading; Position shooting – Prone Kneeling, Sitting

Bring:
A good attitude
Serviceable 5.56x45mm Carbine.
A serviceable sling. A tactical sling is best—but you must have a sling
Three serviceable magazines
The ability to carry two magazines on your body
Eyepro and Earpro
Baseball type hat
Clothing appropriate for the season
Kneepads and elbow pads are optional, but recommended
750 rounds  of serviceable Ball ammunition

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 12:35:32 AM EDT
[#22]
There is nothing you "must have". Most things put on ARs are a matter of want and not need.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 12:44:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Extra mags.

Streamlight TLR-1.  For HD, you'll want this.  Find a mount setup you like.  

Pistol Grip.  Can't stand the GI grip personally.  Magpul MOE/MIAD preferred but will settle for Ergo soft grip personally.

Try different slings.  3 point is probably most secure, comfortable.  1 point is more maneuverable and allows better R and L transitions.  The downside is that the gun flops around more when not being held.  That said I hardly use my sling.

Other than that, learn your irons well.  From 50yd to 200 if you can.  Then decide on optics.  Don't go cheap if you decide on optics.  You really can't beat the durability of Aimpoints and ACOGs.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 1:02:13 AM EDT
[#24]
mags, a sling, potentially a better grip and stock.  not necessary, but I don't like the a2 grip and even a simple after market stock like a Magpul MOE can be a big improvement.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 2:08:28 AM EDT
[#25]
1)  shoot your gun and become proficient with irons
2) determine your use for your gun.  duty, SD, long range plinker, etc
3) purchase stuff as required to fit the need

I set my M4 up to be a SHTF, internet bragging rifle.   I wanted it to be highly functional, as well as aesthetically pleasing.  As such, i put a lot of Magpul FDE furniture on it, as well as rail system, light and ACOG.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 2:45:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Honestly, I don't want any fancy optics on my HD gun.  Knowing me, I will probably get a 22 cal AR for my kids to plink with and I would get an optic on that.  I plan on sticking with iron sights.  I do want a flashlight though.  Any suggestions for a newb?

I definitely want a good sling.  

Thanks for the opinions guys...keep 'um coming!!!

Since you mentioned HD, I would highly recommend taking an introductory carbine training class.  You will learn far more about yourself, your rifle and your strengths/weaknesses in one day than any amount of time spent skimming through arfcom threads.  

To help set yourself up for success, I would suggest the following:

- Get a good sling
- Get a good weapon light (I use Surefires.  A G2 LED in a VTAC mount is an effective, low cost solution)
- Plenty of mags and ammo
- Lube your gun and it will run (I have had good results with SLIP 2000 EWL)

After a good one or two day course, you will know what works and what doesn't work for you.  Good luck.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 4:42:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A sling, a light, and ammo. Shoot the piss out of it. Get some professional training. Compete in 3 gun or action rifle matches.

DO NOT buy anything else until you've done all the above. Once you've got a lot of trigger time and training under your belt and are reasonably proficient with your rifle, then you'll know what you need and what you don't. Otherwise you'll spend a bunch of money on cheap ghetto grips and Chinese red dots and lasers. Your rifle will look like it fell through a CTD catalog, the shit will break, you'll discover most of it is useless and heavy anyway.....   If you must buy something, do lots of research, see if you can try it out on a friend's rifle or a blue gun at a local shop, and be sure to buy quality products.

Of course, you won't listen to any of that advice anyway, so go ahead and go full retard with TACTICAL FOUR RAILED LAZER 3 COLOR SNIPER RED DOT MULTI RETICLE SCOPE MASTER BLASTER.

ETA: I guess that was a bit rude. You're on the right track by asking what makes sense so maybe you won't waste a bunch of money on cheap shit. A .22lr conversion kit can get you a lot more trigger time and save a bunch of money. Surefire, Pentagon, and Elzetta all make really good lights. Best bang for the buck would probably be a G3 LED attached to this.

Do this     ––––––––––-    Do this––––––––-         Do this––––––––-         Do this––––––––-           Do this––––––––-          Do this  
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:19:17 AM EDT
[#28]
I've gone through several configs on my carbine I've had rails cheap lights lazers and optics. Now im at the point where I know what I like and need. My rifle now wears the fll moe line up just because magpul makes excellent products that are ergonomic light weight and cheap in price

Having a flash light is a must I use a surefire g2led in a iwc mount n slot mount

If you want a good optic get an eotech 512 they can be found for under 400 bucks and are combat tested like acogs and aimpoints

Might I ask what rifle you bought?
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 6:21:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 6:45:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Only thing I consider a must have is a sling.  If you intend on using it for home defense(which I don't recommend), get at least a white light, I would add a red dot.  A red dot is especially  useful if you can't shoot irons without both eyes open.  But become proficient with irons first, the optic will fail at the worst time.  Get ammo and if you can find one local, take at least an intro class.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 6:48:08 AM EDT
[#31]
definitely buy a case first, you dont want the neighbors to shit themselves every time you go to the range

look into 5.11 tactical
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:05:45 AM EDT
[#32]
First - Ammo, sling, lube

Next - Light

Finally - optic

This is my personal preference, and the route I went.   Get good with the irons before buying an optic.  Don't cheap out.  If you have to save up to buy somethinig of quality, do it.  Don't buy the cheap version, as this will always leave you wanting the good one.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:23:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Ammo, plenty of magazines...at least 20-30 (load at home, spend more time shooting at the range).  Shoot it as much as you can, you will find out what you need and don't.  Research everything before you buy any optics, lights, stocks, trigger groups etc......  Everything else that others have said basically.  Have fun and get to know your rifle.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Fellas, I've been reading the thread to catch up and classes is something I never thought about (or really knew about).  How can I find classes offered in the Atlanta area?  

I see the majority of you said a good cleaning kit, a good sling and a flashlight.  One person recommended NOT using the AR for home defense...why is that?  I also have two pistols and a Mossberg 12 guage so I have other options.  

Quoted:
I've gone through several configs on my carbine I've had rails cheap lights lazers and optics. Now im at the point where I know what I like and need. My rifle now wears the fll moe line up just because magpul makes excellent products that are ergonomic light weight and cheap in price

Having a flash light is a must I use a surefire g2led in a iwc mount n slot mount

If you want a good optic get an eotech 512 they can be found for under 400 bucks and are combat tested like acogs and aimpoints

Might I ask what rifle you bought?[/quote]

To answer your question, I got a DD M4.  

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#35]
After almost 20years of shooting ARs, there is only one thing I cannot deal with on a standard rifle. I have to eliminate the gap behind the trigger guard. Whether its with a gapper, Tango Down duckbill grip or a Magpul replacement, I gotta get rid of that cheese grater like knuckle buster.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#36]
DD M4 is a good quality gun you chose wisely. For hd check the ammo section and get some good hd ammo the 75gr otm tap is what I use. Training classes are good but they are damn expensive

As for a cleaning kit I use the otis kit for m4s works great and its compact

I don't know why not to use an ar for home defense that's what mine is for
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#37]
A good 2 point sling is a must have for any long gun, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Sling
Weapon Light
Good optic (kinda not needed right this fricking minute now like the first two, but makes your shooting much more successful, especially with something like an Aimpoint with illuminated reticle for low/no light shooting).
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#39]
ammo
mags
cleaning kit
sling
light
optics
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 1:26:23 PM EDT
[#40]
After mags, ammo, and cleaning kit.....for a range gun nothing.  For a work/HD/SHTF/duty gun...

1.  White light - You should never shoot at what you can't see and ID.  Period.  Go to the Lights & Laser forums for more info and ideas.

2.  Sling - A sling for a long gun is like a holster for a handgun.  The adjustable -2 points are popular for good reason.  The VTAC or Vickers are the best, but I used a 2-quart strap and 550 cord back in the '90s in the field and it worked.

3.  Training - Go to your Hometown Forum and ask around.  A good class will show you what works, how it works, and just as important, what doesn't work.  Don't waste money on gear until you go, and while there ask to try other peoples gear to figure out what works best for you.  This is much easier if you are told what you can/can' t have or are issued gear.

4.  Optics - I prefer to run an Aimpoint RDS if possible, but my work gun is currently limited to irons only by policy.  Learn to use the tools you have.  Iron sights work just fine at night when used properly with a white light and I find that I am more accurate/precise with them during the day (Movement/speed/mulitple threats are a another matter, I already stated that I prefer Aimpoints....).

Background:  I've been carrying/shooting/fighting with this platform professionally since 1992, currentlly a LE Firearms Instructor at a 500+ Agency in NC.  A lot has changed since OSUT.

Stay Safe,
Rob
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I would not consider an optic or a light "must haves". Especially not an optic.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Why?
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Those two would greatly depend on what the rifle would be being used for, as opposed to something like a cleaning kit or sling, which would be necessary in any situation. In most situations, irons would be more than sufficient, and even a light wouldn't necessarily be required at night, depending on how lit the environment is. Stop and think how people got by in past decades without lights and optics.

ETA: In summary, while those two would be nice to have, they aren't necessary.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#44]
I was using an M16 before we had lights.  I had some great NVGs to see the bad guy with, but had no way of using my iron sights to aim until our team leaders (1 out of 3 or 4 guys) got issued lasers around 94-95. That gear was cool, but still didn't work very well.  We relied on frag grenades, machine guns, and arty at night.  Night combat in past decades didn't work out so well without lights.  We shot a bunch of rounds without many hits.  Go to the range in the dark and try to hit a man size target at 50m using your muzzle flash to get a sight picture.

I will argue that for anything other than a range gun, a white light is the most important accessory on any firearm.  The OP mentioned using this weapon in a HD role, so he is legally and morally obligated to be able to identify his target and what's around it before shooting.  Even in the dark.

But don't take my word, ask the City of Raleigh, NC how many millions of dollars not equipping their police department shotguns with white lighs cost them a few years ago.

RDS are a force mulitplier, and I prefer them, but you can get by with irons, as I stated in my origianal post.

A white light on a weapon is a MUST.

Rob
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I was using an M16 before we had lights.  I had some great NVGs to see the bad guy with, but had no way of using my iron sights to aim until our team leaders (1 out of 3 or 4 guys) got issued lasers around 94-95. That gear was cool, but still didn't work very well.  We relied on frag grenades, machine guns, and arty at night.  Night combat in past decades didn't work out so well without lights.  We shot a bunch of rounds without many hits.  Go to the range in the dark and try to hit a man size target at 50m using your muzzle flash to get a sight picture.

I will argue that for anything other than a range gun, a white light is the most important accessory on any firearm.  The OP mentioned using this weapon in a HD role, so he is legally and morally obligated to be able to identify his target and what's around it before shooting.  Even in the dark.

But don't take my word, ask the City of Raleigh, NC how many millions of dollars not equipping their police department shotguns with white lighs cost them a few years ago.

RDS are a force mulitplier, and I prefer them, but you can get by with irons, as I stated in my origianal post.

A white light on a weapon is a MUST.

Rob

I disagree. Not a must, but a nice luxury. That being said, I have a light on my go-to rifle. Do I think it's a must? No. Do I think it's nice to have? Indeed I do.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ammo.

You're first AR you'll no doubt want to weighs down with heavy chinese optics, flashlights and rails.  Eventually, you'll want to put the plastic handguard back on and learn to shoot effectively off Iron sights.  

1st post nails it again.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Instead of 3 more mags, get ten for a killer price: http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MA-02DSGG10.aspx

A 2pt sling and a good light such as a Streamlight TLR-1 to mount at 12o'clock on your DDM4

Training and ammo

Optic (Aimpoint, Eotech or Trijicon) when you can afford it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Light, sling and a GUNFIGHTER charging handle.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top