Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 7:33:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Molon, why is the 1:7 the choice of all the "top tier" makers as well as the military, over the 1:9?

not Molon, but I believe it has to do with the length of the Tracer rounds.  From what I've read in ARFCOM when the twist rate question comes up, it seems that the 5.56 tracer rounds are longer than M855 or M193 and take a faster twist rate to stabilize.  

I assume the "top tier" manufacturers do so because a 1:7 twist is specified in the TDP supplied to Colt and FN by the US DOD.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 8:40:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Molon, why is the 1:7 the choice of all the "top tier" makers as well as the military, over the 1:9?

not Molon, but I believe it has to do with the length of the Tracer rounds.  From what I've read in ARFCOM when the twist rate question comes up, it seems that the 5.56 tracer rounds are longer than M855 or M193 and take a faster twist rate to stabilize.  

I assume the "top tier" manufacturers do so because a 1:7 twist is specified in the TDP supplied to Colt and FN by the US DOD.

So 1:9 will stabilize heavier rds such as 75 and 77 gr just as well? I've always thought that 1:9 would not. Another BS buster? There are no other benefits to 1:7?
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent thread as usual, Molon! Thank you for all your highly informative threads over the years.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#4]
There seems to be no set answer to that other than "try it with YOUR barrel."

Edited because Zhukov has posted better info than I could.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 1:32:19 PM EDT
[#6]
thank you for the correction Zhukov.  I missed the 77grain part entirely
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top