Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/8/2010 9:24:50 AM EDT
Hey just had a guy come in to my work we always talk guns. Anyway he was telling me that he purchased Samson handguards. I have never heard of them he told me how expensive they are. Are they worth the money?
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#1]
IMO, no, they're not worth it.  If you're going to spend that much, get DD.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#2]
ETA: Oops double post
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting..... I can't decide the direction I want to go with my AR. Right now I have the Magpul handguards(came with the gun) and I'm trying to see whats going to be the best way to go. I want a lightweight accurate gun(target or hunt). Also I would like to point out on a limited budget not going to buy anything now just doing research.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a copy of a Troy TRX original to me, and for quite a bit more.

If you want handguards Daniel Defense, Knights Armament, LaRue, Troy, JP, and PRI will all do what you want them to, pick the style you want.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're looking for something cheaper, take a look at the YHM Diamond series.  They're still great rails and look pretty sweet too.  They're not as light as some of the others though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#7]
as some others have mentioned, they are basically identical to the Troy guards. They used to be priced the same as Troy, but Troy recently dropped their prices and now they Troy is substantially lower.  As with Troy, they are a high quality rail I m not entirely sure why, but they arent as popular with people as are DD, LaRue, or Troy. I have a Stag 2hT upper and they came standard on that model. It seems to me that the majority of people Ive met who had the Samson guards had them because they are on some Stag models. Aside from that you dont typically see a lot of people using them.

Basically I look at rails in four groups (tiers for the chart junkies).  

The first tier is the $250+ range (for carbine rails). This is DD, LaRue, Samson, KAC, ARMS. Out of those groups the DD and LaRue are about even. I think DD is more poular of the two. I dont think that the others are worth the price when compared to either DD or LaRue. They are all heavy compared to the DD. Most may match DD in price, but not quality.  

The second tier is basically 175-250 range. I think of Troy and Spikes in this group. This is truthfully the place the Samson should be. Since they are in the "top tier" however, they are overpriced.

The third tier is <125-175 range. I think of YHM and MI as being pretty equal.

The fourth tier is <100 and I think of UTG. I wouldnt purchase anything in this tier.

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ever since Samson stole Troy's designs and put their name on them, I'v avoided Samson products. They may be good, don't know, but what they did to Troy convinced me to spend my money elswhere.

And it looks like Troy has  returned the favor by copying Samson's drop in rails (Samson had those first) and now Magpul's BAD lever

ETA: I am a huge fan of the DD Omega, Omega X and their Lite series rails.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top