Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2010 4:47:34 PM EDT
Anyone else who uses a MagPul BAD lever on their AR-15 experience an increase in the bolt not locking back on the last round? I have one that was originally on my carbine, and I had a LOT of issues with the bolt not locking back on an empty mag, with many mags (mostly Pmags, and Lancer L5s, but with a  couple of C-products USGI mags, and Bushmaster 10 rounders). It wasn't every time, but it was at least 1/3.  I then put the BAD lever on my M16A4 clone for an Appleseed (to try to make my transitions a little faster for the AQTs) and then the issue started up there.

The other thing that might be causing it is the shitty, underpowered ammo (Herter's 55gr. .223) that I have been using, which often short-strokes in my A4 clone. This will take a little experimenting with better ammo to figure out. I just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed a correlation with the BAD lever.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I never had a problem with mine and I shoot mostly wolf which is underpowered
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't the bolt catch button adjustable? Try a turn or too to make it stick out more.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#3]
process of elimination. You have too many variables. Switch ammo and test with the BAD lever installed. also test the ammo without the BAD lever.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I had that happen. My rifle is over-gassed and adding the BAD lever caused the catch to move too slowly. Changing to a heavier buffer slowed the action down so it locks back every time now.

Quoted:
Isn't the bolt catch button adjustable? Try a turn or too to make it stick out more.

What?...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I had that happen. My rifle is over-gassed and adding the BAD lever caused the catch to move too slowly. Changing to a heavier buffer slowed the action down so it locks back every time now.

Quoted:

What?...

I have an H2 in the carbine and a rifle buffer in the rifle. The ammo would constantly short stroke with an H3, so I switched. I am going back to m193 and m855 exclusively. The Herter's was used as an experiment as well, but I have been having little but issue with it all together. I'll use up what I have left, and then likely never use steel again.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Do you mean the mag release?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:18:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have no idea what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:39:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I have B.A.D.s on five rifles and all five function fine (20"-16"-14.5"-10.5"-7.5").
I use M193-M855-reloads
I have come across 3 mags that fail to lock back the bolt (with or without B.A.D. installed).
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:47:08 AM EDT
[#9]
My brand spanikin' newbuild is equipped with  B.A.D., and I have, in fact, experienced a failure to hold the bolt open after the last shot. BUT, the last shot BHO feature was narrowed down to only occurring with the 5 brand spankin' new 20-round PMAGs I purchased just for use with this build.  On it's maiden outing, I used the 5 new 20-rd PMAGs, two older 30-rd PMAG, 2 aluminum 20-rd curved magazines with enhanced followers, and 2 aluminum 30-rd magazines with enhanced followers.  All of the other magazines used held the bolt open after the last shot was fired.

But thanks for bringing this up, as I hadn't really thought the B.A.D. was a contributing factor.  I will throw that theory into the mix, as my investigation is on-going.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I had it happen. I had 3 of them installed.  The bad was not seated right on the bolt catch pad. Had to reposition it & it worked. The1 AR I still have it installed on sometimes doesn't lock back. It's totally random & can be anytime with any mag or ammo.
Honestly I don't like the thing & it's not necessary. There are other options out there to do the same thing. I feel the BAD is too flimsy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Seriously?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#12]
My BAD does it sometimes.  I have never traced it down.  I think i solved it and then it happens again.  I gave up.  I was told this was a flaw in the BAD, then I talked to several Phase 5 users who said the same thing.  They too had this same problem so its not a BAD issue.  I am sure if I gave a crap I would get the bolt to lock back 100% of the time.  As it stands it doesnt effect me. When the gun stops firing my reaction is to treat it as a malfunction anyway, so it doesnt slow me down  when no case is ejected on my clear, I lock the bolt back in the same step and drop the mag...blah blah blah...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I've run BAD levers for a total of about 6k rounds across two guns without any issues, but you're not the first to have this problem.  I can be an incredibly useful tool, so I would play around and try to isolate different variables before giving up on it.  Perhaps loading mags with 1 round at a time, using different mags, ammo, buffers, etc.  Hope you can get it running reliably.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#14]
i have had problems with mine too. sometimes it locks sometimes it doesnt. great piece of kit but i wish it would lock back everytime
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#15]
You are NOT alone, and this is well documented on this and other forums.  BAD levers just flat fuck don't work with certain rifles.  Case closed.

Mine caused a fail to lock back about 25% of the time.  It is not mag related as the same mag will work fine once, then fail to lock back the next time.  I've switched buffer weights, tried several different types of magazines with the same inconsistent results.  I realized I was spending a lot of time/money on trying to get a $30 add-on to work like it should.  I trashed it, and my carbine works perfectly again.  I WISH the BAD had worked, but I don't NEED it.

BTW, my rifle is a high quality build (LMT complete lower, BCM Middy upper with BCM BCG) so I'm having difficulty blaming the problem on my weapon that functioned correctly before adding the BAD.

That being said, I DO think the BAD is a sweet idea, but IMHO it's something one needs to experiment with before affixing it to a defensive firearm.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I had/have this problem. Prior to installation of the lever, my gun functioned perfectly with the last shot always locking back the bolt. Put it on there and it fails.

First thing I checked were my mags. Went to the range and loaded up all my mags and tested each one multiple times. All failed except my  one PMAG. I had a six of magpul followers and installed them in the magazines that failed. All the magazines with the new followers now work. I am using a standard buffer. I will try an H Buffer next if the problem continues on the magazines with the new followers. I have a new spring and detent for the bolt catch, but I don't want to change that out until I know that other options do not work.

The easiest thing you can do is to take the damn thing off. I think it's a great tool that adds to function significantly (as far as malfunction clearing) but if the lever is causing the malfunctions then take it off.

I like to tinker so I'm gonna make it work.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

I am not home so can not check, but I thought I remembered screwing in the bolt release when I built a lower.

I guess I am mistaken. Maybe I am remembering the mag release.

Sorry for the bad info.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#18]
No issues with mine.  All I shoot is steel cased.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#19]
None here.

The issue is some BADs rotate on the BHO.

In order to be installed properly and not bind with the receiver, they need to be installed as far counter clockwise as possible.  If you push forward on them during use, they will shift.

I permanently install mine with an epoxy type resin sandwiched in there to create a nice solid essentially once peice unit.  It cannot rotate on the bold hold open, and I have NEVER had a problem.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I have also heard of people having this problem.  In a year of use and probably 5-6k worth of rounds on my M4, I never had a problem that wasn't self induced with the BAD.  That was with M855.  On my personal rifles I have never had a problem, but I don't have near the round count on them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
None here.

In order to be installed properly and not bind with the receiver, they need to be installed as far counter clockwise as possible.  If you push forward on them during use, they will shift.

I permanently install mine with an epoxy type resin sandwiched in there to create a nice solid essentially once peice unit.  It cannot rotate on the bold hold open, and I have NEVER had a problem.

This is a very good idea.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
None here.

This is a very good idea.

I use a product called fast-steel.  Bought it at home depot.  Hard enough that you can tap it, and it doesn't shrink as it dries.  Fills the gaps nicely and makes for a rock solid setup.  Give it a shot!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top