User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I personally would get a Spike's Tactical from AIM....

Their uppers are 479$ shipped right now and they come complete with BC, CH, and hand guards. They even include a heavy buffer...
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
It depends. Some of us like heavier barrels. There are real benefits to hbar profiles. And I don't think weight is that big of an issue on a carbine. If it was, then no one would mount so much crap on their M4's.

I hope you are not calling lights an aimpoints "crap".

And I added a crap sling too.

Link Posted: 7/26/2010 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#3]
My three BCM uppers have all been kick ass uppers.

11.5"
14.5" Middy
16" Middy.

Happier than a pig in slop with them.                                                
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#4]
When I finally decided to get a 16" Upper, I looked at several brands, including Spikes and RRA, before I decided on the BCM 16" Middy.  I just liked the extra quality controls that BCM puts their parts through.  Another thing that helped my decision was reading USMC03s review of the BCM Middy.  My rifle isn't an every day used item, but if I'm going to lay my money down, I want to know I used it the best I could.  It is currently attached to a CMT lower (which happens to have a Centurys Arms logo), but I am strongly considering placing an order for a BCM lower (I just hate the idea of having to move the stock and MIAD from one lower to another) so that I can reassemble my Century A2 rifle.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 11:04:19 PM EDT
[#5]
If I needed an off the shelf rifle for hunting I would not hesitate to buy a RRA rifle or some of the other commercial brands for that matter.  I'm more interested in military clones so its more likely I'll be buying a BCM upper before I buy anything significant from RRA.  People are digging themselves in a little too deep on this one.  Anyone who believes there is not room in the market place for both products needs to drink a beer or ten.
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 12:34:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

RRA IMO.

I strongly disagree with this statement.  I think it is RRA that is overpriced and if anything BCM is under priced.

There are legitimate reasons why BCM is highly recommended here and on other sights.  Just look at the specs and their track record.  I remember a post a while back where Pat Rogers had put some ungodly amount of rounds thru a BCM he uses for classes, something like 60,000+ rounds (this number may be off) without cleaning, just lube, and it hadn't malfunctioned. That guy sees more rounds downrange than just about anybody, and if he says BCM is GTG, I'll take his word for it.
Are you sure that's not 60k total rounds through three different bcm guns? I had heard about that, but maybe I missed something, I let my swat subscription lapse

You may be thinking of "Filthy 14", last I checked (a post on June 14th) the BCM has over 36, 000 rounds through it.

BCM all the way, first post!

Link Posted: 7/27/2010 3:26:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looking to buy a new AR-15 and was interested in RRA and BCM models.  I know BCM is mil-spec, 1-7 twist, and has good reviews was wondering if these options are better than the more commercial RRA parts, 1-9 twist, 2 stage trigger, and well known brand.  If anyone has experience with both these models on how they have functioned or value would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Good morning Iowa-JP, all.

Might want to go this route.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=504938
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 3:34:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 4:53:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Filthy 14 will be the subject of a SWAT article (October 2010). At the time that was submitted it had 31,000 and change downrange. It now has 36,000 rds through it.
The saga of filthy 14 has been documented on Lightfighter with USMC03's writing.

I have 13,000 rds downrange on #31- the EAG Carbine prototype http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16-A4-AR15-Bravo-Company-carbine-EAG-Pat-Rogers-s/151.htm

We have multiple Bravo Company guns in the armory, and have a lot of rounds downrangewith them, several of which have between 10,000- 20,000 rds.
I  have confidence in their guns (as i do other makers guns)
Bravo Company is among the list of guns that i recommend (among others).

The mission drives the gear train.

Determine what that mission is and than buy the best you can with available funds.
Then seek the best training available.
And when you are finished, train some more.

Link Posted: 7/27/2010 4:58:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 5:04:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Very nice.

Except I run my light on R side.
Cant get use to the left. But thats all me

btw is that 14.5

Link Posted: 7/27/2010 5:08:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Filthy 14 will be the subject of a SWAT article (October 2010). At the time that was submitted it had 31,000 and change downrange. It now has 36,000 rds through it.
The saga of filthy 14 has been documented on Lightfighter with USMC03's writing.

I have 13,000 rds downrange on #31- the EAG Carbine prototype http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16-A4-AR15-Bravo-Company-carbine-EAG-Pat-Rogers-s/151.htm

We have multiple Bravo Company guns in the armory, and have a lot of rounds downrangewith them, several of which have between 10,000- 20,000 rds.
I  have confidence in their guns (as i do other makers guns)
Bravo Company is among the list of guns that i recommend (among others).

The mission drives the gear train.

Determine what that mission is and than buy the best you can with available funds.
Then seek the best training available.
And when you are finished, train some more.

Cant wait to read all about it !
Thanks for posting here at AR15.com

Link Posted: 7/27/2010 5:09:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 6:00:10 AM EDT
[#14]

I was lucky enough to finger a couple of these last week. Very very nice set-up.

Link Posted: 7/27/2010 6:07:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

11.5"
14.5" Middy
16" Middy.

Speaking of pigs and slop. We drove an ATV across a previously clear, shallow waterhole in the trail that hogs had
widened and had turned into a red, septic, wallow. We didn't realize this until we started to cross and smelled it.
We also didn't know they deepened it and the ATV turned on it's side dumping everything including my RRA muzzle first into it and then the ATV rested on top where it stayed until we could hike back to a backhoe and pull it out.
We couldn't get a side pull to right it first because it was a narrow trail through cedars so we had to drag it straight back
on it's side and across my poor carbine. After we got it out I had to strip off and wade out in the putrid slop and feel for my gun with my toes which was imbedded in the bottom. I ended up having to take a bath in the nearby Pedernales River
and then breaking my AR into halves and dunking it too as we both stunk. I had to take a cleaning rod to poke the mud/hogshit paste out of the clogged bore and lay everything in some rapids to let the water run through it.
It was getting late and I was holding up the hog hunt so hit it with some CLP and put it back together and made a long headshot on a hog later that evening. A buddy that was using a scoped Colt said driving home he 'wouldn't mind having one (Rock River) as a beater/truck gun'.

Maybe I would bond better with my14.5  BCM if I got a BCM lower and used it's current RRA lower for another Rocky.
As Carl Mauldin told Steve McQueen in Nevada Smith, '...if there's one thing I can't stand it's a half breed."

Link Posted: 7/27/2010 6:42:22 AM EDT
[#16]
"Very nice.

btw is that 14.5 "
==================================================================================================================================================

You can place the light where ever you want to. We keep it there due to the way we run our guns and the integration of other mission essential equipment.
The full list of what comes with it- to include the $200 training credit- is on the link provided.
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 6:53:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
"Very nice.

btw is that 14.5 "
==================================================================================================================================================

You can place the light where ever you want to. We keep it there due to the way we run our guns and the integration of other mission essential equipment.
The full list of what comes with it- to include the $200 training credit- is on the link provided.

Yeah
I was aware I could place my light any place on a rail .Matter of fact Ive had it in a few diferent spots.
I`m also aware how you guys shoot. I read all your articles [:)

I wish my first carbine came with all that!
The 200 training credit IS ALSO GREAT!!!

Link Posted: 7/27/2010 6:58:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

11.5"
14.5" Middy
16" Middy.

Speaking of pigs and slop. We drove an ATV across a previously clear, shallow waterhole in the trail that hogs had
widened and had turned into a red, septic, wallow. We didn't realize this until we started to cross and smelled it.
We also didn't know they deepened it and the ATV turned on it's side dumping everything including my RRA muzzle first into it and then the ATV rested on top where it stayed until we could hike back to a backhoe and pull it out.
We couldn't get a side pull to right it first because it was a narrow trail through cedars so we had to drag it straight back
on it's side and across my poor carbine. After we got it out I had to strip off and wade out in the putrid slop and feel for my gun with my toes which was imbedded in the bottom. I ended up having to take a bath in the nearby Pedernales River
and then breaking my AR into halves and dunking it too as we both stunk. I had to take a cleaning rod to poke the mud/hogshit paste out of the clogged bore and lay everything in some rapids to let the water run through it.
It was getting late and I was holding up the hog hunt so hit it with some CLP and put it back together and made a long headshot on a hog later that evening. A buddy that was using a scoped Colt said driving home he 'wouldn't mind having one (Rock River) as a beater/truck gun'.
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo15/catman2_01/PedernalesHog1.jpg

Maybe I would bond better with my14.5  BCM if I got a BCM lower and used it's current RRA lower for another Rocky.
As Carl Mauldin told Steve McQueen in Nevada Smith, '...if there's one thing I can't stand it's a half breed."

II Do you eat wild boar?

Link Posted: 7/27/2010 7:03:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Roger. The gun is useless without training, and that $200 credit is 1/3 of a class. Not bad..
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 8:29:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

11.5"
14.5" Middy
16" Middy.

Dude, as it may be a cool story, that is extremely hard to read.
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

11.5"
14.5" Middy
16" Middy.

Dude, as it may be a cool story, that is extremely hard to read.

HEB has reading glasses for about twelve bucks.

Link Posted: 7/27/2010 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

11.5"
14.5" Middy
16" Middy.

II Do you eat wild boar?

Oh,yeah. Wild hog smoked link sausage is gourmet fare as well as bar b q thats slow smoked.

We're infested with hogs and a game warden on the neighboring ranch wages war on them with his AR. He said 'I don't care where I hit em', fuck'um.'
One crisp morning I was sitting in the deer blind and the usual shots from the surrounding hills were were broken up by wham, wham, wham, whop, whop, wham, wham. A pack of hogs must have stepped out and he had a belly full of them.

Link Posted: 7/27/2010 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#23]
BCM because of their BCG and 1-7" twist.  

The RRA SS 1-8" guns/barrels have interested me though, although I would probably buy just a upper and assemble a rifle myself.
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
BCM is the flavor of the month here on AR15.com so it is being compared to everything.

Huh. That would make it the longest month I've ever experienced.
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BCM is the flavor of the month here on AR15.com so it is being compared to everything.

Flavor of the month. Hmmm. Go find the BCM uppers thread here. I started it. If you look close that thread has been running almost two years now.

Long month is right.

I'm about as sick of hearing the term "flavor of the month" as I am of hearing "fit and finish."  It's just something people that have no clue say when they have nothing valuable to add to a discussion.
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flavor of the month. Hmmm. Go find the BCM uppers thread here. I started it. If you look close that thread has been running almost two years now.

Long month is right.

I'm about as sick of hearing the term "flavor of the month" as I am of hearing "fit and finish."  It's just something people that have no clue say when they have nothing valuable to add to a discussion.

+1.  I feel the same way about the term "koolaid".  

Link Posted: 7/27/2010 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top