Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/1/2010 8:26:21 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy my first AR, and after doing a lot of looking I think I've decided on a Spikes Tactical AR.  It looks to be a high quality AR with a very reasonable price.  

Here is the link to the M4 LE:  Spikes ST-M4 LE

Does anyone have any negative experiences with this AR, or are they good to go?
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 8:34:37 PM EDT
[#1]
That would honestly be the best choice for getting into the AR.

Get it!
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 8:48:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm looking to buy my first AR, and after doing a lot of looking I think I've decided on a Spikes Tactical AR.  It looks to be a high quality AR with a very reasonable price.  

You aren't the first person ;]

The ST M4LE is basically ARFCOM's go to budget gun right now.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 10:17:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I think there might be a discount code out there for that gun.  Might want to look around.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 11:56:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep you made the right choice. I just got my first AR and its a spike's. It is as nice as everyone says. It is a beautiful, accurate, and dependable rifle. I'm an accountant, and the way they keep their current low price point is beyond me. Get the SPIKE'S!!! You will be very happy.

P.S...When ordering the rifle, make sure to get the samson rear and the optional case as well. It is a fine case to have :)
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:11:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Good choice - my buddy got his recently and we took it to the range, his only peevee about it is that he had two failure to fully feed on his new rifle (out of the 4 mags we fired through it); told him that all he needed was to put 400 more rounds through it to fully break in the rifle and he would have no problems whatsoever. he was very pleased with the rifle after our range session and already planning to buy a mount for his Aimpoint and rails to configure his rifle exactly as he had it in Afghanistan.

Spike's an awesome guy, but that's something we all know by now. his customer service is by far, the best in the industry and he will stand by his products, no questions asked. If you are a local (Central FL area), just drop in and he will hook you up.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:28:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:34:03 AM EDT
[#7]
If I weren't M4 rich and cash poor right now I'd be on that like stink on a monkey.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:55:18 AM EDT
[#8]
They threw in some goodies with my order, too.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 1:56:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I think that if you let them know you are with arfcom they will give you a discount.  Call and ask em
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 4:22:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the replies, I will be ordering today!
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 4:35:18 AM EDT
[#11]
What is the difference between the M4 LE  M4 LE

and the

Mid-Length LE Carbine?? Mid-Length LE Carbine

Somebody please clear this up, the specs all look the same
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 4:50:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Outstanding choice, killer.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 5:00:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Get the Spikes.  You will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 5:27:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

and the

The gas system.  Midlength gas system vs. carbine length....consequently, the handguards and sight radius also.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 5:28:14 AM EDT
[#15]
The carbine is what our military uses.  Mid length is a newer set up.  It's the distance from the receiver to the gas port.

The carbine was designed for shorter barrels, like 11.5 and 14.5.  Most civilian carbines have to legally be 16" barrels unless extra taxes are paid and paperwork filled out.

The mid length was introduced to be a more ideal gas system for a 16" rifle.

The mid length should have slightly less recoil, and your bolt may not wear out as fast due to less force being applied by an over gassed carbine system.

I own a mid length.  Mine has a shaved gas port so a rail can fit over it, then a full front sight base added at rifle length to improve accuracy.  Barrel by ADCO.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

and the

The carbine uses a gas system that is 2 inches shorter than the midlength. The carbine gas system was intended for barrels 14.5 inches or less whereas the midlength was created for barrels between 16-18 inch barrels. My suggestion, and the general consensus, is to get the midlength if you are going with a 16in barrel. It will have a longer site radius, lighter recoil, and in theory be less harsh on the moving parts. Both are outstanding choices though and I have no doubt you'll love either since there is nothing wrong with a 16in carbine if that's what you prefer. For instance, a Colt 6920 is generally considered the gold standard of ARs and uses a carbine length gas system on a 16in barrel. Also, if you want some range reports and reviews on Spikes look at the link below. I honestly believe that they are the best bang for the buck out there and mine has fit in very nicely with my others high end ARs (BCM, Colt, Noveske, KAC).

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=486660
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 10:32:02 AM EDT
[#17]
So the length of the Mid-Length and the Carbine system are the same correct?  What would be the benefits of getting the Carbine system over the Mid-Length system?
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So the length of the Mid-Length and the Carbine system are the same correct?  What would be the benefits of getting the Carbine system over the Mid-Length system?

No. It's already been explained that the mid-length gas system is two inches longer than the carbine gas system.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No, the carbine system is 2 inches shorter than the midlength and there is no benefit other than if you prefer the looks. Here's a comparison below. Notice the difference between #9 (carbine) and #10 (midlength)

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#20]
What would be the benefit of getting the Carbine system over the mid-length if the mid-length provides greater durability?
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#21]
oh ok thanks for all the helps guys!
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Also consider BCM

Currently Spikes don't HPT thier BCGs, but BCM does.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:15:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Get the middy (it's only $10 more).
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top