Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2010 1:57:33 AM EDT
how many styles and or sizes of forward takedown pins were used on the pre ban colt sporter target models???? serial# ST0038****
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:23:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Two (I think), the early large (.312) screw type and the later small (.250) M16 pushpin type. IIRC the change came about sometime in 1990.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:51:40 AM EDT
[#2]
i have a pin that resembles the lower pin in the pic only it as a screw on the end that holds it in the receiver, is it the same diameter?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:54:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree becuz now I have one of each!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:54:49 AM EDT
[#4]
and thank you for your help!  
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:58:49 AM EDT
[#5]
There are 3 types.

1. large screw together
2. small screw together
3. small pivot pin.

2 and 3 are the same diameter. You can mod #2 to be a number 3 by getting a pivot pin, drilling a hole in the lower ( some even have the hole drilled already ) and installing the pivot pin spring and small catch pin.

ETA: you mentioned in one of the other threads about the exact same thing that the M4 upper was machined to fit a large pin Colt. The small pin center and the large pin center are not in the same place. You just can't make the hole bigger.

I don't know what was done to the holes of you M4 upper;

However adapter pins are available so that you can put a mil spec small pin upper on a large pin Colt. it's called an offset pin ( because the hole centers are offset) and it screws together. Pins are also made to fit a colt large pin upper to a mil spec lower, I don't know what they are called.

The small pin colt lower with the screw will fit a mil spec small holed upper with the small screw pin that was made for the lower.

The third small pin colt is mil spec.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#6]
don't forget the original small pin with the ball at the end

towards the bottom of the page
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I hope the person at colt that decided to use all the non standard options died a horrible death.

What an A&&hole
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top