Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2010 12:07:15 PM EDT
First off I would like to start this topic off by letting everyone know I am a newb to the AR world and appreciate all of your comments in advance.  My question is about checking headspace.  I just bought a Young Manufacturing National Match Bolt Assembly and I am currently looking into barrels.  I am thinking about a Sabre Defense, White Oak Arm., or Centurion Arms...maybe a Daniel Defense.  Anyway I would like to know if it is completely necessary to buy a Go and No Go Gauge to check the headspace between your bolt and barrel.  I hate to spend 40 to 50 bucks on two gauges I am only going to use once per build.  Please let me know if you checked the headspace on your builds(especially if you are using any of the gear I am).  Also I would like to know if anyone has experience with those barrels and how they feel about them.  THANKS A MILLION!
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#1]
All 4 are great barrels. If properly installed headspace shouldn't be a problem. Never has been with me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#2]
The only gage you really need is the FIELD. A used rifle can close on a NO-GO and be perfectly safe as long as it rejects the FIELD gage. I check my rifles yearly with a FIELD gage to make sure headspace hasn't gone out of spec. It's overkill, but I like being able to see and stuff.  

The TM says to check headspace after changing a barrel or bolt, not that most barrels and bolts are in spec so don't bother.

Make sure you use a gage that matches the chamber in your rifle. a gage for 5.56 can give false readings in a .223 Rem. chamber and vice versa.

Ask around in your hometown forum. I bet someone close to you has a FIELD gage you can use w/o having to buy it. BSW

Link Posted: 2/10/2010 1:28:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Make sure you use a gage that matches the chamber in your rifle. a gage for 5.56 can give false readings in a .223 Rem. chamber and vice versa.

I made this mistake. When looking for a Field headspace gage, I saw that many of the sites list their headspace gages as being 5.56/.223, or said 5.56 but showed a picture of a gage with .223 etched on it. So I incorrectly assumed they were compatible. However, I went directly to Forster's site because something told me I was mistaken. They specifically say the two are not compatible. They sell specific 5.56 NATO Headspace gages. I bought one of their maximum gages, which corresponds to the Field gage.

In case anyone is interested, here's the link:

Forster 5.56 NATO Headspace Gages
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 4:04:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Also, the USGI FIELD gage allows you to measure headspace without removing the extractor and ejector. Commercial gages may or may not have this feature. BSW
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 5:42:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Not to derail the topic, but can someone explain what headspace is and how it is checked.
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 5:53:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not to derail the topic, but can someone explain what headspace is and how it is checked.

Check out this sticky thread from the Build It Yourself forum: Headspace, Torque values, and Barrel Break-In
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 7:42:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Also, the USGI FIELD gage allows you to measure headspace without removing the extractor and ejector. Commercial gages may or may not have this feature. BSW

Where can someone buy a USGI Field Gauge?
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out this sticky thread from the Build It Yourself forum: Headspace, Torque values, and Barrel Break-In

Thank you, sir!
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I got mine from Bill: http://www.billricca.com/collectors_corner.htm

About a 1/3 of the way down the page, look for 'M16 Maximum Headspace Gage, Ordnance Part Number 7799734, NSN 4933-00-070-7814. Disassembly of bolt not needed, gage is cut for extractor and ejector clearance. Each gage is new, in US GI pack'

BSW
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 7:54:23 AM EDT
[#10]
If Bill Ricca is out of stock, here is the next best thing.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6646/Product/5_56mm___223__HEADSPACE_GAUGE

ALWAYS check headspace on a new build.
More than one barrel has left a manufacturer not fully chamber finished reamed.
Not checking and attempting to fire the rifle can lead to disaster.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have a Noveske recon and a young's NM.  I still would need to check it on a new build?  btw everyone thanks for the advice
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a Noveske recon and a young's NM.  I still would need to check it on a new build?  btw everyone thanks for the advice

They are your eyes. How much are they worth?

BSW
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Somewhere around 8 uppers built, didn't check headspace on them and they shot perfectly. 2 or 3 more were headspaced by a local 'smith who offered the service for free and they all headspaced fine. AR headspace is set at the factory. If you buy good quality,new parts you shouldn't have an issue.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#14]
F*ck it! the extra  20 bucks for the gauge isnt nothing to the rest of what I spent...I better check em.  Thanks guys
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:04:49 AM EDT
[#15]
hey go check the " build it yourself" part of this forum there is a sticky topic at the top about headspace with all the technical info..   I was an armorer in the USMC and if a bcg closes on a no go it is NO GO!
thats why they call it no go .
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I see a lot of people saying here headspace from the factory should be no problem. I don't want to be the guy to rain on some people's parade, but about 5% of the new uppers we get for work from bushmaster are no-go. Their response to "were these head-spaced?": "Well we test fire them, so there isn't an issue."

We just bought a dozen LMT uppers and one was a no-go on the headspace, even though it came with the tag saying it was checked at the factory. We haven't had time to call them up, so I don't know how they'll respond, but it can't be worse than Bushmaster's.

I'm never going to buy/build an AR without headspacing them before I shoot. I know they'll work fine on "field-guage" but a brand new rifle and bolt should be frigging 100% good to go. If they require the field gauge it should be because I shot them.

I'd get a set, it's cheap insurance for reliability and accuracy, especially if you're putting a good amount of cash into a high quality bbl.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#17]
It seems to me only three things can happen concerning headspace. One, the bolt won't close. In this case you know it's incorrect. Two, the bolt closes, but the chamber is too long. A quick look at the first fired case, and you see it's been fire formed. You now know the chamber is too long. Three,the chambers correct. I would be MUCH more concerned with the bore diameter of the barrel. If it's too small, you may blow the rifle up.

Noob
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#18]
TCBA_Joe - good info my man!!! thanks guys.  I diffenently will check this out see how I will have well over 2k in this after it is all said and done with.  However, I do think like you guys and it should be only an issue for guns that are shot..oh well better safe then sorry
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Buy your bolt and barrel from the same company
check head space. buy upper and lower from same company.
Old school build.                   ( any one not poast for a month and lose ther post count)
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I already bought my bolt and barrel from different manufacturers.  Young's NM BCG and a Noveske Recon.
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 4:06:25 AM EDT
[#21]
The field guage is cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 6:35:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I see a lot of people saying here headspace from the factory should be no problem. I don't want to be the guy to rain on some people's parade, but about 5% of the new uppers we get for work from bushmaster are no-go. Their response to "were these head-spaced?": "Well we test fire them, so there isn't an issue."

We just bought a dozen LMT uppers and one was a no-go on the headspace, even though it came with the tag saying it was checked at the factory. We haven't had time to call them up, so I don't know how they'll respond, but it can't be worse than Bushmaster's.

I'm never going to buy/build an AR without headspacing them before I shoot. I know they'll work fine on "field-guage" but a brand new rifle and bolt should be frigging 100% good to go. If they require the field gauge it should be because I shot them.

I'd get a set, it's cheap insurance for reliability and accuracy, especially if you're putting a good amount of cash into a high quality bbl.

Closing on a no-go gage doesnt mean a thing.  Get yourself a field gage and toss that no-go gage, it is causing you to worry about problems that you dont have.
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 7:09:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top