Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/29/2010 2:16:14 AM EDT
for a first rifle what would be the better buy,piece it together and build it yourself or buy a new rifle? Can a nice,quality AR be built for $700< ?
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 2:35:33 AM EDT
[#1]
A man should know how his rifle works.  I suggest buying a Del-Ton kit, (asembled upper, you put the lower together yourself) because you really don't need any tools that aren't in your house already. (except a DPMS multi-tool for the spanner on a collapsable stock, and you should own that one)  

Uppers take some jigs and a few more specialty tools.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 2:38:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A man should know how his rifle works.  I suggest buying a Del-Ton kit, (asembled upper, you put the lower together yourself) because you really don't need any tools that aren't in your house already. (except a DPMS multi-tool for the spanner on a collapsable stock, and you should own that one)  

Uppers take some jigs and a few more specialty tools.

Ive been reading nothing but good things about Del-Ton so far.I did get to handle a del-ton m4 this past week(didnt get to shoot because of the weather) and it seemed like a solid gun for what the guy spent on it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 3:18:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I think building them is fun. From time to time I build them for freinds or business associates. I've always been a "hands on" type person and ARs are very rewarding to me. The best thing about learning to build is that you can upgrade things later without waiting for a gunsmith to get to it or paying someone to do something that is pretty easy. I usually start my builds around a particular barrel I like, then gather the rest. Kits are a cost effective way to build a low cost rifle, but I tend to watch the EE for things I want and pounce on them when they arise for a good deal. Stay away from products that are famous for being out of poor quality, this can be very frustrating and take all of the fun out of your rifle.

At first, I built carry handle ARs, but I recommend starting with a flat top. YHM has some flip+up sights that are a great value and they are often found on the EE for good prices. The user "eguns" carries YHM at fair prices too. No I don't live near him, work for him, or have any vested interest in his company or YHM. See disclaimer in signature....

Tool investment is fairly minimal and you will have them to use later, so they keep paying for themselves and remain useful. You at least need and upper reciever action block, good vise, punches, rubber mallet, torque wrench, molt grease, and a good multi-tool. I have a DPMS, but it is terrible for tightening castle nuts. Maybe someone else will chime in about one that does that job better.

Just do it!

Show us your build when you get done
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 6:26:21 AM EDT
[#4]
When I first got into AR's, I really think building it yourself was the way to go but that was because back them, the selection\options offered was pretty weak by today's standards and I feel you could build a better quality rifle for less money then a lower quality off the shelf AR would cost. They was then, this is now.

Now that are a ton of great options out there and it's a year after the great Obama gun rush, I feel it's really a buyers market right now. I guess it still somewhat depends on what you are looking for and how much you like doing things yourself but from a pure financial POV, I think buying off the shelf (or better yet, off the EE) will get you your best deal.

If you do decide to build (and one very good reason for that is if money is tight, building allows you to collect parts slowly as you get the money) do not go with a "kit". There are exceptions to every rule but in general, most kits are shit and over priced at that. If you want to build, buy what ever lower you like and get a decent LPK from a reputable source. install what ever grip and stock you like on it then buy a quality complete upper for it
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Build all the way.

Plus I noticed you dont see any bad stories, when it comes to the rifles people build vs ones that some one bought on line..............if there is any issues, its usually one that some one bought sight unseen.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#6]
building might seem a little daunting, but it's a lot of fun and it's nice to know how everything works. i bought my first, and in retrospect wish that i would have built my first.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 7:34:04 AM EDT
[#7]
It depends on the purpose. For a fun and reliable range/hobby gun, I think $700 is doable, or you could get a doublestar. For a serious duty rifle, I'm not sure it can be built for under $700. With standard hardguards or magpul, I think $850 to $900 ish would be a good estimate:

Lower $90
LPK (STAG or DD) $65
Milspec stock assembly $85 - $125
BCM upper $425
BCG and CH $150
rear Buis or Carry handle $50

plus shipping and transfer costs.

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#8]
depends on what you want.  You can build one nearly complete for nearly the same price of a decent quality AR.  For example I went this route:

DSA Nitride Upper sans BCG and CH $275
Spike Tactical BCG and forged CH $160
DSA Complete lower $180
S&H and transfer add $40
$655

or

For example comple Double Star M4gery $659 delivered from Buds.

Both are decent quality usuable firearms.  The only reason I went with the build was that I could get a much better BCG for around the same total price.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#9]
what about this deal from Doublestar I found in a previous thread?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=411537957
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#10]
WARNING: Building AR type rifles can be habit forming.  enjoy
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#11]
This:

Quoted:
A man should know how his rifle works.

And this:

Quoted:
Build all the way.

I like building one from scratch almost as much as I like shooting.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I would buy your first AR complete and then build from # 2 on.  It is really handy to have a complete rifle to use as a reference when you do your first build.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Assemble it yourself! ("assemble" = use a complete upper vs. "build" = from scratch).  I'm on my 5th one.  Before I did my first I had zero experience assembling ARs and it took about 40 minutes carefully following the directions (from this site) to get the completed lower done.  I can now do it in 15 minute at a very leisurely pace.  It is "drunkenmonkeysimple"

All you need is a few punches, nylon hammer, castle nut wrench, some duct (or electrical) tape to protect the finish when pushing in roll pins, a 1/4 thick piece of wood to help put in the trigger guard (a #2 pencil will do in a pinch) and a long handled flat screwdriver. I also use a small vice grip and a set of bent needle nose pliers.  

Check out the Build it Yourself forum, it has all the information you will need, and then some!  If I can do it anyone can!

PS: none of the rifles I have assembled have had any issues whatsoever.  2 are mine, 2 belong to friends as does # 5 in progress.  Just use quality parts, a good upper and BCG (I use BCM for all upper parts and lower receiver extension) go by the numbers and you can't miss!
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

DSA Nitride Upper sans BCG and CH $275
Spike Tactical BCG and forged CH $160
DSA Complete lower $180
S&H and transfer add $40
$655

+1

I have absolutely no need for another AR but this is really enticing, $650 for a basic M4 is tough to beat! I'd go with a BCM BCG and already have an extra MBUS rear, but you could also find a new or like new Colt or similar carry handle on the EE for under $50.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Build

All the parts you want (Read: can afford) and none you don't
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Build!!

there are much better options available now as opposed to when I built my first AR 87-88?
I still enjoy building it the way I want with the parts I want and not having to sell off the crapola I dont want/need.
I think the best part way back then was building the upper,taking my time doing it right checking the headspace it was a great feeling of accomplishment and I knew my rifle inside and out..
Im a tinkerer and never happy with the generic options that are usually offered to the public cars/guns/computers pretty much anything, so building my own suits me
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Depends on what you want.

A standard M4 type with LMT/Colt quality parts costs as much to build as to buy whole.   I tried all kinds of build combo ideas, but for a basic rifle with top shelf stuff its easier to just buy a LMT/Colt.  

But I'm looking to build a 16" 6.8spc with a Bison Armory barrel and a lowprofile  gas block and a full length Larue or Daniel Defense rail.  In that case I'd rather build it myself than order a custom rifle.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Depends on what you want.

A standard M4 type with LMT/Colt quality parts costs as much to build as to buy whole.   I tried all kinds of build combo ideas, but for a basic rifle with top shelf stuff its easier to just buy a LMT/Colt.  

But I'm looking to build a 16" 6.8spc with a Bison Armory barrel and a lowprofile  gas block and a full length Larue or Daniel Defense rail.  In that case I'd rather build it myself than order a custom rifle.  

Or BCM
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#19]
+87 for build your own. You won't regret it . . . well, maybe after the fifth one you will
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#20]
You could build a nice rifle for under $700 at this point. That way you'd be sure it had everything you wanted the first time around. Then again, you could also buy a full rifle so you'd have it right away for under $700.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top