Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2009 6:23:38 PM EDT
I have been looking around and have foudn Ion Bonded Bolt and Carrier groups and was was wondering if they are worth having as opposed to standard finish bolt/carriers?

I live in a place where we get a lot of rain and it is fairly damp year round.

Link Posted: 12/27/2009 6:39:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump for discussion...

As I understand it (to those who view my question) Ionbond is very popular with 1911s.

First I have heard of it on an AR15.
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 6:57:27 AM EDT
[#2]
it looks real good on paper––––––
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 7:06:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I just purchased a Bushmaster 16" with a Failzero bcg installed it has something called EXO technology. From what i have read it seems promising.time will tell.
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 8:19:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I purchased JP Enterprises ion bonded bolt carrier. It has the smoothest finish (machining) I have ever seen, the addition of the ion bond finish completes the product. I would rather have one of these than a chrome bolt carrier. No reflective properties and a finish that simply wipes completely clean. Very slick feeling and diamond hard. I am not independently wealthy, but would buy these for every rifle if I were.
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#5]
a link to a page at another forum where one of their some industry supporters of that forum are doing this on ARs and AKs.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=60660
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I just got my IONBond Bolt Carrier Group from BCM. The finish is very slick, 90 Rockwell hard, and carbon resistant. I know the finish, used to have a beautiful 1911 finished with IONBond. In my opinion, It's exactly the sort of thing that is worth spending extra $$ on for a serious working rifle. I see people who have hundred of dollars of extra bolt-ons on their AR15, but decry real advancements in finishes like IONBond or Melonite as wasted money. If the AR15 platform has a weakness, it's that enough carbon buildup can stop your rifle. The IONBond is a permanent metal finish, that's only a few microns thick, yet provides vastly improved surface hardness and lubricity. Run one side-by-side with a Parkerized BCG, and the IONBond one will run longer and better without cleaning, all else being equal. There's no downside. If $60 extra per rifle is too much to spend on one of the few big advancements available in critical component finishes, I'd almost say get an AK. The guys on M4C have some excellent info about how engineering in IONbond finishes on their parts, lets vehicle manufacturers eliminate parts from lifters, etc, because they can depend on the surface hardness and slickness: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=40692&page=2

Sorry, not a great picture, but the surface smoothness is evident in the picture.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top