Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/14/2009 5:53:54 PM EDT
Sharps Riffle Company Mil Spec Division, AR-15 lower receiver.

Anyone here know anything about these?
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#1]
New to me, never heard of them.  Did you find them on the internet?  Link?

At any rate, another lower on the market is a good thing.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Never heard of them before either. No web sight found on Google, only the Gunbroker links: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=146816828
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#3]
From looking at the auction, I would say that it just a standard forged lower that someone want $200 for.  No way
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#4]
This is what I dug up and posted in the deals thread:

nothing from someone not selling the lowers.

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

From looking at the auction, I would say that it just a standard forged lower that someone want $200 for. No way

Roger that! For another $30 I can get a complete lower with a stock.

Just curious about that name brand.

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#6]
In case you haven't seen the deals thread:

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#7]
High or low shelf?
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Where is this "deals" thread you speak of?
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where is this "deals" thread you speak of?

In the Team forum. You have to pony up for the membership.

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Wow.  I wish I knew something about these lowers.  I have 4 new upper that need something to sit on.  For $55 it seems worth shot, not sure though.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow.  I wish I knew something about these lowers.  I have 4 new upper that need something to sit on.  For $55 it seems worth shot, not sure though.

My thoughts exactly. I figure if I order 3, they'll turn out to be garbage, but if I don't, in about a week, we'll have 10 threads about how awesome they are, and they'll be out of stock.

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#12]
A bit misleading. Both Shiloh Sharps, and C. Sharps are located in Montana, not Missouri.

Neither of those two companies produces anything but fine reproductions of black powder cartridge rifles.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#13]
They ran an exploratory/inquisitive thread on lightfighter a few months back.  It's in the primary weapons forum there.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

A bit misleading. Both Shiloh Sharps, and C. Sharps are located in Montana, not Missouri.

Neither of those two companies produces anything but fine reproductions of black powder cartridge rifles.

Even curiouser, the lower says Sharps Mil Spec, Saint Louis, but the website says Billings Montana.

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

They ran an exploratory/inquisitive thread on lightfighter a few months back.  It's in the primary weapons forum there.

This thread?

There's also this one that's a bit more interesting.

Thanks for the heads-up, Google apparently doesn't do lightfighter.

ETA: Here's the highlights:

Hello fellas,

Its been a bit since I posted. I see our CMO was also working at answering some of your questions as well. Let me give a bit of a recap of where we've been, where we are, and where we are likely to go and then feel free to open up with questions and I'll do my best to field them.

Finally, after months of ATF hoop jumping, variance filling, etc we are now live. I pick up the first sample batch to go out to your sales teams at Jones & Company and Tim Bailey & Associates this week.

Model Name: ShARps-15

Calibers: 5.56mm-50

Finish: 100% Mil-A-spec

Mag well: Broached

Forgings: Anchor Harvey, Brass Aluminum Forge, plus some Cerro. All, 7075 T6 Aluminum

Comps so far show us coming in closer to specifications then Colt, DPMS, Les Baer, and a host of others.

Comp to Noveske: far cleaner mag well, but they edge us just a bit on the fit and finish, again just a bit. Not bad considering we are going to bang out 5-15,000/mo.

So in my mind we are where I wanted to be, neck and neck in fit, finish and quality with Noveske, LMT, and better than every mass produced receiver we've matched up against. Are we done testing, studying and improving? No, as long as the company remains open we are dedicated to continually working on all three of those.

Next steps are the upper and BCG. Upper is going to be to Spec. BCG we will offer spec or better in standard design. I just really hate 8620, so I'm probably going to improve there just because it machines like bubble gum.

I know Al, our CMO mentioned some of the bolt revisions and I know this drew some concern. I have some serious concerns with the K8 bolt from Oly, like some of the enhanced and improved bolts out there, and we made make and intermediate stop with a simple "improved", however this is one area of this rifle where I see a LOT of potential for improvement.

The standard AR bolt has angles that are virtually 90 degrees at the lugs and other areas, plus some other design features in it that are just completely aweful machining/engineering. Our focus on this is to take these issues out for our standard improved and then to rework it so that if you want something truly better you can replace your bolt head and barrel extension and you'll really improve the reliability and strength of the rifle.

Calibers: Yes, we are working on our own 50. Yes, we are taking this to the military via the NSAC/NSATC. Same for our 6.8spc fix and the 35 Cal that might be what they've been occassionally looking for over the last 20 years or so. So in answer to some early questions. While these aren't current spec. These like other items are being shown to and reviewed by the military. So we will put these under the classification of Mil Spec plus as they exceed current specifications. Same will go for some of the improved finishes and coatings we'll be offering going forward. So yes, we will build to the Nth degree of Spec in our product line, hence we are here, but we'll also look to push ahead and show some leadership as best we can so that you in the tactical community and private ownership will once again have access to what the military is being shown and thinking on, rather then waiting for top down trickle. We hope this will give us the communication and feedback from the community so that we'll only make whats truly of value and not just whats cheapest or most flashy.

Talk to you all soon,

Mike

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#16]
In their zeal of self promotion they managed to hose up BOTH sides of the receiver.  Nice job.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

In their zeal of self promotion they managed to hose up BOTH sides of the receiver.  Nice job.

I can't say I mind their logos. Doesn't seem worse than many of the others out there. The pictures leave a bit to be desired and make it look like the roll marks are poor quality. I suspect that's just the pictures, but who knows.

I PM'd the company guy on lightfighter about the lowers on Rguns. If he responds I'll pass it along.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

ShARps

I know. But in fairness, they did a poll.

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Hello,

Well, those aren't pre-production, but original production. I won't go too indepth to it as its the boring boardroom stuff that is the stuff of movies like office space, but I will say that those lower at fanastically well machined. We made some upgrades and adjustments to be even better, but they are certainly a cut above DPMS, Bushmaster, Essential or that group. Basically they were the last of the batch from a particular supplier. Those that have them have given us a good review, but we didn't want to be selling 2 different levels of the same basic lower, so now you've got a chance to grab them at a great price. Enjoy and let us know what you think.

Thanks

Mike

This is the reply I got from the Sharps guy on lightfighter. Looks like the ones they will be selling soon will be from a different supplier.

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#21]

And I should clarify, the upgrades are mostly in the cosmetic area, such as the forging seams are hand buffed like on a Noveske and changed the engraving style/method. We did some touch ups in the buttstock threads as well as a few other slight adjustments, but nothing shocking on the stuff that matters most. So refinements rather than significant changes. Again, for $55 bucks they are by far the best you'll find.

A little more from the Sharps guy.

Link Posted: 11/16/2009 6:39:45 AM EDT
[#22]
So does mil-spec = low shelf?
Link Posted: 11/16/2009 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Can anyone tell me is the Sharps-15 lower High or Low Shelf?
Link Posted: 11/17/2009 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I speak from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE/OPINION. THIS IS A FACTUAL REVIEW OF MY TRANSACTION.

RGUNS is the shadiest, worst customer service company I have ever delt with. In my OPINION they operate as close to a crooked business as it comes. I ordered .223 ammo from them last year, they delayed me 3 months until I cancled the credit card transaction, then to spite me they sent me a box of loose 9mm surplus crap and tried to use that as "proof" of shipment. And talking to them on the phone they will call you ever 4 letter word in the book, if they don't hang up on you first. That's the short version.

Seriously - my advice is to RUN away.
Link Posted: 11/17/2009 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I speak from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE/OPINION. THIS IS A FACTUAL REVIEW OF MY TRANSACTION.

RGUNS is the shadiest, worst customer service company I have ever delt with. In my OPINION they operate as close to a crooked business as it comes. I ordered .223 ammo from them last year, they delayed me 3 months until I cancled the credit card transaction, then to spite me they sent me a box of loose 9mm surplus crap and tried to use that as "proof" of shipment. And talking to them on the phone they will call you ever 4 letter word in the book, if they don't hang up on you first. That's the short version.

Seriously - my advice is to RUN away.

WOW, well thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 11/17/2009 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I was about to order four but this gave me pulse. Anyone else have experience with Rguns?
Link Posted: 11/17/2009 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#27]
My dealer ordered a complete DPMS lower (less stock) from them for me a few months back. Had it in a few days and the price was decent. I'd order (through him) from them again.
Link Posted: 11/18/2009 7:31:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Well i ordered 5 Sharps lowers yesterday, 3 for me and 2 for my friend.
Link Posted: 11/18/2009 8:25:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I was about to order four but this gave me pulse. Anyone else have experience with Rguns?

I have been using them for a few years and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 11/18/2009 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Be sure to take pictures when they arrive. For some reason every available picture is just a tad out of focus.

Link Posted: 11/18/2009 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#31]
$55 bucks for a lower?  wow... Did you ever think you would see that?
Link Posted: 11/18/2009 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Just picked 'em up; first impressions:
good, if not great deal
finish is 8/10 - lettering/roll marks are a little off, very few blems in the finish

We'll see how they go together and work.

Let me know if you want different pics:

Link Posted: 11/18/2009 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#33]

This is the same Mike from Sharps. Happy to hear it looks like you are getting a great deal on these.

Some basics in reply to a few threads, we are incorporated in Billings, MT, our Mil Spec HQ is in Saint Louis, MO.

These weren't rollmarked but cut, had a few issues with that as mentioned in my previous posts. Machining was top notch, just not where we wanted them to be cosmetically. As mentioned, the Gen II coming out will have hand polishing to smooth out all the forging seams and give us a more pleasing rounded area behind the grip. Doing some minor thread pitch adjustments as well, but thats about it.

Basically theses should be a great deal for anyone interested. Hopefully a nice intro to Sharps Mil Spec for everyone.

I'm not always around, so feel free to email me via the site if you have any questions. Other then that keep it going, we are enjoying the discussion.

Thanks

Mike
Link Posted: 11/18/2009 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Disappointing that they have not milled them out for a standard M16 lower.  Yeah, I get they are selling AR15s, but would be nice to know that this was an easy solution for a Class II.  Not to be, I guess.

I stopped by R Guns this evening on the way home from work and they had zero available for sale.  They are supposed to be getting more in the next ten days or so.  

No opinion one way or the other on the lower or R Guns, but at $55 a pop, I'll probably buy a few and experiment...

danbrew
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#35]
ok, this seems like a good deal, so i called them, and they have the most unhappy or mean people answering their phones. I called to see how many they had in stock, because i wanted to pick up a few, the man wasnt very helpfull, he said "well we have enough" then i asked if i could do my order through the phone, and he said "do it on the internet", then i said " umm ok" and he hung up. and i still had questions about other products. what the hell kind of customer service is that? yes this is a good deal, but ill save my $30 and give it to a better lower and better people, like Spikes.....
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#36]

for an *in spec* lower that's a great price........ but.......... the logo and the markings, seriously?!

you can claim to be better than LMT, Noveske, Bushmaster or who ever else you want but i'll never know. the logo and the markings are hideous. that's more than enough to turn me off. don't get me wrong i hate most of the roll marks that are on the market already. well, actually i only like 1 roll mark and i don't even own one of them. (Noveske)

i really think you guys missed the boat on this one. good luck and i hope you guys stick around a while. welcome to ARFCOM

Link Posted: 11/19/2009 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

good, if not great deal

finish is 8/10 - lettering/roll marks are a little off, very few blems in the finish

Is it my eye or just the picture? It appears that the Mag Release button hole appears to be cut crooked.

Link Posted: 11/19/2009 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
ok, this seems like a good deal, so i called them, and they have the most unhappy or mean people answering their phones. I called to see how many they had in stock, because i wanted to pick up a few, the man wasnt very helpfull, he said "well we have enough" then i asked if i could do my order through the phone, and he said "do it on the internet", then i said " umm ok" and he hung up. and i still had questions about other products. what the hell kind of customer service is that? yes this is a good deal, but ill save my $30 and give it to a better lower and better people, like Spikes.....

This is EXACTLY what I was talking about. People who order from Rguns are killing the GOOD retailers like Spike/Larue/Bravocompany...ETC! (well, not killing them..but you are wasting your money on BAD blood).

I wish people would just let these arseholes wither and die already - worst business i've ever dealt with.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
good, if not great deal

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/arayski/Sharps/Right.jpg

Is it my eye or just the picture? It appears that the Mag Release button hole appears to be cut crooked.  

I noticed that too, I saw the same crooked Mag release hole on this guys lower. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=469316
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Good thing. Seriously though, I have a new prescription with a new style lens. I was wondering if I was holding my head straight.

I don't mean to sideline this thread but the mag release hole is definitely more pronounced in this picture.

Quoted:

I received two of these today and they look very nice! Anyone built one
of these yet?? RGuns is selling these for $55 each right now!!

Even though shipping was $20 for the pair, it's still a great price.

Link Posted: 11/19/2009 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This is the same Mike from Sharps. Happy to hear it looks like you are getting a great deal on these.

Some basics in reply to a few threads, we are incorporated in Billings, MT, our Mil Spec HQ is in Saint Louis, MO.

These weren't rollmarked but cut, had a few issues with that as mentioned in my previous posts. Machining was top notch, just not where we wanted them to be cosmetically. As mentioned, the Gen II coming out will have hand polishing to smooth out all the forging seams and give us a more pleasing rounded area behind the grip. Doing some minor thread pitch adjustments as well, but thats about it.

Mike

Please elaborate on "Doing some minor thread pitch adjustments as well" Is there an issue trying to assemble?

Do all of them have crooked Mag Release Button "wells" ?

Link Posted: 11/19/2009 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Hmmmmm. Straw purchase?
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Not a straw purchase as long as the friend are the ones who transfer it from the dealer.  You could order 10 and have a bunch of friends go with you to the dealer and each pick up a couple.  What matters is who fills out the 4473 not who paid.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmmm. Straw purchase?

How do you know he is not an FFL?
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
good, if not great deal

I noticed that too, I saw the same crooked Mag release hole on this guys lower. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=469316

Here we go again, you are aware that the "it doesn't matter if it looks like shit Police" are going to call you out and tell you how it doesn't make a F@^K how it looks, just shoot the damn thing, blah, blah ,blah, etc., blah, lol, right? I think I can hear their blood boiling as I compose this reply. Seriously, I hate blems and cosmetic issues too. Was it designed to look like that? No? Well then it will not do, however, at this price though, what the hell, I could buy a few of these and build absolute beaters and not give a care what happens to them. I could just let everyone else shoot the snot out of whatever crappy upper I put on them and save the good toys for me. I would love to see what sick and demented abuse 87GN would put a $55 lower throughHe is The Breaker.... and he would probably find a way to break it I'll bet the next generation units cost more....

Link Posted: 11/19/2009 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
good, if not great deal

Here we go again, you are aware that the "it doesn't matter if it looks like shit Police" are going to call you out and tell you how it doesn't make a F@^K how it looks, just shoot the damn thing, blah, blah ,blah, etc., blah, lol, right? I think I can hear their blood boiling as I compose this reply. Seriously, I hate blems and cosmetic issues too. Was it designed to look like that? No? Well then it will not do, however, at this price though, what the hell, I could buy a few of these and build absolute beaters and not give a care what happens to them. I could just let everyone else shoot the snot out of whatever crappy upper I put on them and save the good toys for me. I would love to see what sick and demented abuse 87GN would put a $55 lower throughHe is The Breaker.... and he would probably find a way to break it I'll bet the next generation units cost more....

OK, finished building the lower - went together and functions fine.
However (y'all knew this was coming) - the trigger guard has some side to side slop, enough to tinkle (in this context means much less than a rattle) .
The lower was built from loose parts in my box, not an off-the-shelf kit; I couldn't begin to tell you whose guard it is...  My point is I dunno if it's the lower or the guards' fault.

Also, yes, now that you've pointed it out,  the mag button is off a couple degrees.
I still need to mount a buffer tube, but the threads look OK, so I foresee no problem there.

Cliffs' / my .02: More than good enough for a beater / range gun.

Hope to shoot it Sunday, range report to follow.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Basically theses should be a great deal for anyone interested. Hopefully a nice intro to Sharps Mil Spec for everyone.

I'm not always around, so feel free to email me via the site if you have any questions. Other then that keep it going, we are enjoying the discussion.

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

I've followed this thread, a couple others on this site, and the two threads on Lightfighter.  Both yourself and the other spokesman for your company have claimed several times that you are holding the machining tolerances closer than Colt and several other top tier manufacturers, basically stating that you are putting quality first, even on these low priced lowers that are only cosmetically flawed.  However, seeing the mag catch hole out of square doesn't follow what you have been claiming as to machining quality.  Is it possible that my calibrated eyeball caught a machining flaw that your millions of dollars worth of QC machines missed?

I bring this up not to be a complete ass, but because I am a bit dissapointed.  Following how you started down this road, seeking input from the AR community, stressing that you would be putting quality as your priority, and looking to the future to bring new things to the market intrigued me a bit.  Later learning that you were allowing items that did not meet your own satisfaction out the door was a bit of a suprise.

You are building your reputation at this point, and all the customers have to base their opinions on are what you first brought to market, admitadly flawed lowers.  I feel you may be digging yourself a hole that will be difficult to get out of and for the forseeable future being limited to being a lower class of rifle maker due to your initial offerings.

Link Posted: 11/19/2009 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Sounds like they are worth at least $55 + $10 shipping. Looks fine for the money. Just tell people it's a "custom tilt-cut" mag release hole

I can't believe I am about to post this, but here we go again....

Tactical Machining has came out with a "teardrop trigger guard" and the first generation was designed to fit TM lowers. From what I understand, the first generation model will not fit all lowers well without some modification, but will fit good on some non-TM lowers. Which ones? Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe they are a little wider? I haven't really gotten down to the specifics with TM as for why they don't fit all lowers well, but if they are wide it could be a cure for the loose trigger guard issue you are having. They drop lower than the Magpul and look nice. They are a little cheaper too. Just a thought if you really care about the loose TG issue.

OK. Here come the posts that imply how I work for TM because I live 2 hours away in the same state, this is an advertisement, TM is paying me, giving me free stuff, blah, blah, blah.... or whatever Gotta go to bed now, so I can get up at 3AM and start my journey to Deland so I can get to work on time

AI_R,
Serously, enjoy your lower and let us know if you uncover any other issues.

Link Posted: 11/19/2009 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Can anyone tell me is Sharps lower High or Low shelf?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top