Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/18/2009 1:55:48 PM EDT
That's right. Taurus is in the game now.

BTW. The suppressor also acts as a brake. You can rotate it to perform either function.

ETA....Found out that the receivers are billet. VLTOR Mod stock, match grade stainless (blackened I assume) cut rifling barrels in 1:8.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#1]
And it'll be all proprietary parts right?  Even if it's not, no thanks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
And it'll be all proprietary parts right?  Even if it's not, no thanks.

Yea, I can't see me getting one either, yet. Time will tell though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#4]
No thanks. I bet it will be the ugliest AR ever made too. Like their 1911.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

No thanks. I bet it will be the ugliest AR ever made too. Like their 1911.

But they will probably have chrome and gold accents!

Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#6]
< ––––––

guarantee you'll hear about more broken ar's than ever if that happens

|

|

\/
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I KNOW it will be a POS, but I gotta admit, that upper and lower is pretty nice.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I do like the serrations....I've always had trouble racking the upper receiver on an AR .

Seriously, though, the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.  The industry is definitely taking the AR mainstream.  I'll hold my judgements until I can actually handle one.  Other than the serrations and the muzzle device, I like the looks pretty well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#10]
How can you judge something you never seen or touched? Looks like inflated egos to me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I KNOW it will be a POS, but I gotta admit, that upper and lower is pretty nice.

I was also surprised by how nice it looks. From what I have heard, they found an aerospace company to produce the parts.

The president of Taurus, Bob Morrison, came from Colt. I guess we will all have to wait for a range report........If anyone actually ever buys one.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#13]
If you are properly charging the rifle aren't the serrations on the upper receiver going to chew up your hands and gloves...

Not making judgments but that just seems silly...
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:27:44 PM EDT
[#14]
This is interesting. I would like to handle/fire one for myself. Nice to see a new competitor is the AR community.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:28:20 PM EDT
[#15]
bleh the pics weren't working when i first posted

Someone notify the guy that does the chart vulcan just moved up a notch.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I can't find it now (don't recall the title and the usual searches you would think of aren't pulling it up) but we recently had a thread about whether or not you would buy a Taurus AR if they made one...

I recall that thread and that's why I'm checking in here.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Hollywood will invest in them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Of course. Everybody seems to be jumping on the piston money train. These companies don't even need ot bad mouth the DI system nor do they need to list the advantages of the piston system, it is supposed to be "common knowledge". As much as I dislike the idea of a piston AR, they sure as hell sell themselves quite well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't find it now (don't recall the title and the usual searches you would think of aren't pulling it up) but we recently had a thread about whether or not you would buy a Taurus AR if they made one...

That thread was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread

Need to do some home work and see who is doing the MFG for them in the states

From what I heard, it is someone in the Aerospace industry, if that helps you.

Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Do not want.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#23]
That looks quite similar to the Black Rain lowers.  Also what's up with the pin in the back?  Sear block?  I thought those went out of style years ago?
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Hmmm, Blackthorne or Taurus?  Decisions Decisions.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Do not want.

Link Posted: 8/18/2009 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#26]
The upper receiver is really, really thick. The bolt catch has a relief cut...

Did I just compare Taurus to LaRue?
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#27]
When my Noveske, LaRue, S&W, Dreadnaught, RRA, and Colt products all quit being reliable and smooth operating, I will buy a piston AR. I have seen some cool ones, I just can't talk myself into buying the solution for a problem that I don't have. If I buy one, I can guarantee you that it won't be a Taurus. They may be the greatest AR in the free world, but I am not buying my weaponry from the most prolific knock-off company this side of China. I can't wait to see the commemorative chrome plated matching serial number look-a-likes of the S&W .38, Berretta 9mm, and the AR. SWEET!
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#28]
no thanks
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 4:06:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Interesting. To bad price is so high ($1500??) Taurus is known for low price at ho hum quality. Wonder if warranty is there typical life time deal?? Agree on the whole piston verse direct gas. When lubed and cleaned properly my colts and armalite run and run and run.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 4:08:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I do have to admit that I am intrigued by it. I will have to know what materials are used, the manufacturing process (billet, forged-machined)....etc.

If they could be had for $1000 +/-, I would think about a purchase after they had been out for a little while.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#32]
...and just in time Taurus jumps into the AR market to fill the empty shelves from panic buying...Oh wait.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#33]
LOL
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#34]

why in the hell can't i find that other Taurus thread?

long story short. HELL NO, Taurus can eat a ... ..... ..... ....

Link Posted: 8/18/2009 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#35]
ETA....Found out that the receivers are billet. VLTOR Mod stock, match grade stainless (blackened I assume) cut rifling barrels in 1:8.

Pre-Production anyway.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Pre-Production anyway.

While that is a great idea, there is no way that will find its way onto a production rifle.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#37]
It's even got racing stripes
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Well ... I kinda like it, just based on what I see. My Taurus guns have all worked very well, and they usually deliver that quality at affordable prices.

I DON'T like the brake, but that can be changed. How 'bout that cool integral trigger guard?

Give it a chance, guys! Any EBR is a good EBR (okay, except maybe Vulcan).

Link Posted: 8/18/2009 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I do like the serrations....I've always had trouble racking the upper receiver on an AR .

Seriously, though, the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.  The industry is definitely taking the AR mainstream.  I'll hold my judgements until I can actually handle one.  Other than the serrations and the muzzle device, I like the looks pretty well.

That because you're doing it wrong.  Hold on to the receiver and rack the lower.  More leverage.Better grip.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yea a bunch of people seemed to be really against the idea from what I remember.

Anyway while taurus has not impressed me with their semi-auto handguns the revolvers seem to be pretty good for what they are. I know a few people that carry them for self defense as they were a good 200 bucks less then the smith and wesson version.

Anyway Taurus will be getting the parts from someone else. I'll reserve judgment until I see this thing hit production. I want to see what they got in them. I will say the lower looks pretty good from the pictures. Not a fan of the upper.

Quoted:

Pre-Production anyway.

Interesting.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Is there anymore info out?
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Anybody remember Charles Daly, whatever happened to their AR?
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea a bunch of people seemed to be really against the idea from what I remember.

Anyway while taurus has not impressed me with their semi-auto handguns the revolvers seem to be pretty good for what they are. I know a few people that carry them for self defense as they were a good 200 bucks less then the smith and wesson version.

Anyway Taurus will be getting the parts from someone else. I'll reserve judgment until I see this thing hit production. I want to see what they got in them. I will say the lower looks pretty good from the pictures. Not a fan of the upper.

Quoted:

Pre-Production anyway.

Interesting.

Does it really surprise you that people here would talk shit about something they have no experience with?
Taurus gets a worse wrap because it doesn't have the higher price tag.  
Then we have the people that hate on Taurus because they "copy" others, but the 92 "clone" is licensed by Beretta and actually made in a former Beretta factory.
The reason their revolvers look like S&W is because at one point, Bangor Punta Corporation (The owners of Smith and Wesson) bought a controlling stake in Taurus, and thusly, the Taurus revolvers where created and even built on S&W tools then.  Once Bangor sold off their share of Taurus, Taurus got to keep it's line up of revolvers created with S&W.
They aren't shameless copycats like the Chinese.  They actually have legal rights to be making their clones.
I say this and I don't even own a Taurus just get sick and tired of people that talk out of their ass about things they have no experience with (and most of the time they don't have the facts).
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
When my Noveske, LaRue, S&W, Dreadnaught, RRA, and Colt products all quit being reliable and smooth operating, I will buy a piston AR. I have seen some cool ones, I just can't talk myself into buying the solution for a problem that I don't have. If I buy one, I can guarantee you that it won't be a Taurus. They may be the greatest AR in the free world, but I am not buying my weaponry from the most prolific knock-off company this side of China. I can't wait to see the commemorative chrome plated matching serial number look-a-likes of the S&W .38, Berretta 9mm, and the AR. SWEET!

Isn't every single AR a knock-off?

For that matter, which gun that Taurus has copied have they not actually paid for the rights to do so?

Big difference between them and the Asian industry.

The only reason those chrome plated and gold accented firearms exist is because there is a market for them here.

ETA: I've been in gun shops in a lot of places around the world and the only other place I can remember seeing a bling'ed up
firearm was in the Middle East.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#45]
My 24/7 Pro .45 has been a great handgun. I dont see why anyone can bash them when no one has even handled one of their AR's yet. Some people were saying this stuff about the piston Ruger's not to long ago and it seems the majority of owners love them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pre-Production anyway.

Interesting.

Does it really surprise you that people here would talk shit about something they have no experience with?
Then we have the people that hate on Taurus because they "copy" others, but the 92 "clone" is licensed by Beretta and actually made in a former Beretta factory.
The reason their revolvers look like S&W is because at one point, Bangor Punta Corporation (The owners of Smith and Wesson) bought a controlling stake in Taurus, and thusly, the Taurus revolvers where created and even built on S&W tools then.  Once Bangor sold off their share of Taurus, Taurus got to keep it's line up of revolvers created with S&W.
They aren't shameless copycats like the Chinese.  They actually have legal rights to be making their clones.
I say this and I don't even own a Taurus just get sick and tired of people that talk out of their ass about things they have no experience with (and most of the time they don't have the facts).

Could not agree more. I am not a HUGE fan of Taurus, but my Dad has a model 85 Ultralight .38 that is one of my favorite revolvers. I know they are not top of the line and may have some issues sometimes, but most informed people are at least ready for that. They are what they are.

We need as many firearms manufacturers putting out competitive, reasonably reliable (for lower tiers) firearms as we can get. I do not wish failure to many companies, especially firearms manufacturers.

Link Posted: 8/18/2009 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pre-Production anyway.

Interesting.

If you've never owned a Taurus, who's talking out their ass? I have owned a Taurus. Back when that was about all I could afford. This was back in the eighties. Quality was terrible. Customer service was worse. Now, don't assume people are talking out their ass with no Taurus experience to back it up. I don't forget poor quality. I don't mean to sound so negative, but after my experience with their Beretta look-a-like, I will never have anything positive to say about Taurus. I had read the gunrags claiming it was just like a Beretta and made on their tooling, etc. Poor quality mag and/or mag release. Loose sight. Light hammer strike would not fire CCI ammo reliably. If you like Taurus, more power to you. Don't put me down if I don't like them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#48]
A couple more pics....

Notice the tension screw in line with the rear takedown pin....Very Sun Devil like...

Link Posted: 8/18/2009 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#49]
I will say that I don't own one of their guns either. That being said my stepfather and mother both have revolvers made by them as well as a coworker. I've shot their guns a few times and overall I've been impressed with the guns for their price. Would I take one over a smith and wesson revolver or one from a few other vendors? No I would not. Would I worry about carrying one? Once I test it like any other firearm I see no reason not too. Still not a fan of their semi auto handguns though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#50]
The more companys making ARs for the US market the harder they will be to ban and restrict....god bless taurus and make as many as possible
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top