Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2009 12:49:43 PM EDT
So got home from Iraq for a few days.  While there had momma pick me up a Ruger SR556.  Gotta say,  its not a bad little rig,  but its not the complete package.  The rifle itself is smooth, I was looking for another XCR when I ran accross this and am glad I picked it up to try out.  

A couple downfalls I found with this rig,  There is no front sling swivle attachment point.  and the gas block is not completely lined up with the rail and upper.  

The trigger is the best single stage factory trigger I have ever pulled,  breaks constantly at 3 pounds according to the scale,  doesnt have alot of creep or overtravel.  

Now I cleaned this rifle before the 1st range trip and wasnt pulled apart until 1k rounds were downrange. Used 5 different makers/types of magazines.  Colt, Pmag, Brownells, Cproducts, Center.  I did have trouble on the first mag to come through this rifle,  Every other round would not fully seat.  After the first 6 rounds  it settled down and didnt have another single hiccup. I think it is because the buffer tube was new and didnt have the worne down spots. Which  Really wore down!  

Anyway  2 days,  1000 Rounds of federal Walmart Value pack 55 FMJ.  fun with friends and family.  

Pics of course

Link Posted: 6/27/2009 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a nice rifle glad you like it. How did it do for accuracy?
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for your range report. Most importantly, thank you for your service

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I assume you put the A2 stock on It?

Nice Rifle, I love mine and im glad you are happy with yours
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the report.  Like CJan said, thanks for your service. Much appreciated.

I just got my SR-556 yesterday and am getting ready to put the first rounds through in a few minutes.  From your photos it doesn't appear that carrier tilt has been quite solved yet. I'm not a firearms engineer or anything but I wish they would have beveled the rear of the carrier a bit more to make entry into the buffer tube possibly a little smoother.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice rifle!

And thank you for your service!
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks like a nice rifle glad you like it. How did it do for accuracy?

LOL  Hell I dont know,  was shooting pie plates and rocks by the end of it at 100.  kept looking for that last magazine  

Quoted:
I assume you put the A2 stock on It?

Nice Rifle, I love mine and im glad you are happy with yours

Wait  they dont come with an A2 stock?   no wonder it doesnt fit in the case!    Not a big fan of the colapsable stocks,  the fixed seems more comfortable.

Quoted:
Thanks for the report.  Like CJan said, thanks for your service. Much appreciated.

I just got my SR-556 yesterday and am getting ready to put the first rounds through in a few minutes.  From your photos it doesn't appear that carrier tilt has been quite solved yet. I'm not a firearms engineer or anything but I wish they would have beveled the rear of the carrier a bit more to make entry into the buffer tube possibly a little smoother.

The tilt is really tearing into the extension.  Plan is to run another 1k through it before I head back to the box.  We'll see what the extension looks like at that point.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#7]

The tilt is really tearing into the extension.  Plan is to run another 1k through it before I head back to the box.  We'll see what the extension looks like at that point.  

Please let us know how it looks after that next 1k rounds.

And be careful over there in the sand.

Link Posted: 6/27/2009 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#8]
How bad is your cam pin drag mark in the upper?
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Make sure you try the 1 setting for the regulator when you shoot again.  Federal .223 55 gr worked flawlessly in my rifle on setting 1.  I think this is important because if it is able to cycle on 1, then setting 2 is over-gassed and likely the rod is hitting the bolt too hard.

I think the larger diameter step on the back of the bolt is designed to hit the buffer tube after any bit of tilt, thereby saving the upper receiver from experiencing tilt...

Try this... Take out the buffer and spring, and slide the carrier into the extension.. You will see how tight it really is.  It's easy to see how the carrier would hit the extension with even the slightest tilt.

It's good you got detailed shots after 1000 rounds.  The "word" from Ruger is that you beat the buffer up at first, and then it settles down and does not get any worse.

We want all our Ruger owners to stick around.... You be safe in the box.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 3:46:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Gasblock Rail alignment,  not bad  but it is off a tad

And people asked to see how the key was treating the upper,  so have shots of that too.

Link Posted: 6/28/2009 5:31:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Is there a bushing guide in the upper receiver where the piston rod comes through?
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got to think the gas block "rail " cuts are more for aesthetics than anything else as long as there's good front sight alignment to the rear. Why would you mount something there and block the front sight from folding?  In the up position all the time, the front sight is more exposed to damage.

Thanks for the review and thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Any reason for putting the picatinny covers so far back? One of the first thing one of the guys at the range asked me is "can you put these further back?" so I'm guessing there's a reason. For me, it seems like you'd want them all the way out to give your hand the most leverage for holding it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Please let us know how it looks after that next 1k rounds.

And be careful over there in the sand.

As I look at these pictures closer I'm noticing something. The buffer tube on my POF appears to screw in one more revolution than the ones with the "stepped" wear. Ya wanna know why? Because whoever made mine cut a notch in the very bottom of it for the buffer tube retaining pin to ride in! Bet that will fix your problem all together because the BCG is already sitting on the tube!

*Important to note: My POF does have a small spring behind the bolt which causes a little backward pressure and may help this even more.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So got home from Iraq for a few days.  While there had momma pick me up a Ruger SR556.  Gotta say,  its not a bad little rig,  but its not the complete package.  The rifle itself is smooth, I was looking for another XCR when I ran accross this and am glad I picked it up to try out.  

A couple downfalls I found with this rig,  There is no front sling swivle attachment point.  and the gas block is not completely lined up with the rail and upper.  

The trigger is the best single stage factory trigger I have ever pulled,  breaks constantly at 3 pounds according to the scale,  doesnt have alot of creep or overtravel.  

Now I cleaned this rifle before the 1st range trip and wasnt pulled apart until 1k rounds were downrange. Used 5 different makers/types of magazines.  Colt, Pmag, Brownells, Cproducts, Center.  I did have trouble on the first mag to come through this rifle,  Every other round would not fully seat.  After the first 6 rounds  it settled down and didnt have another single hiccup. I think it is because the buffer tube was new and didnt have the worne down spots. Which  Really wore down!  

Anyway  2 days,  1000 Rounds of federal Walmart Value pack 55 FMJ.  fun with friends and family.  

Pics of course
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN0881.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN0879.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN08781.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN08771.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN08761.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN08751.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN0874.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN08731.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN08721.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN0871.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN0870.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN08692.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN08681.JPG

Nice lookin' Precision Rifle in the pics too... 300WM? Looks to be a "long action". Who built that one? Can you tell I lurk around SnipersHide too!
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice lookin' Precision Rifle in the pics too... 300WM? Looks to be a "long action". Who built that one? Can you tell I lurk around SnipersHide too!

I dont even wanna get into the Kimber in the background,  I waited 15 months for that rifle,  $2500 and it comes with  Kimpro finish in the chamber and  on the other end!

Posted both places since the topic has come up there a few times
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I look at these pictures closer I'm noticing something. The buffer tube on my POF appears to screw in one more revolution than the ones with the "stepped" wear. Ya wanna know why? Because whoever made mine cut a notch in the very bottom of it for the buffer tube retaining pin to ride in! Bet that will fix your problem all together because the BCG is already sitting on the tube!

*Important to note: My POF does have a small spring behind the bolt which causes a little backward pressure and may help this even more.

Yeah  the carbine buffer sits a little further forward than the rifle buffer tube,  Gonna try turning a bit off the face of the larger area of one to get it to sit a little further up,  maybe it wont look so bad   also looked at the link posted on another thread at the buffer for carbines,  looks like it would fix the problem,  but I need one for a rifle.  Got access to a really nice lather,  might try to make one out of solid stainless.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2009 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Ran 500 more rounds through it this AM,  weather was nice,  not to hot/colt.   I started off and tried like someone else sugested and went on setting #1,  first round fired and ejected but did not pick up the next.    So  put it back on 2 and away I went.   Rifle was still dirty from the last range trip..  

Ran 100% on setting #2,  Fail on setting #1.  

To sum it up.
4 failures in 1500 rounds.   No cleaning or oiling short of the initial cleaning.  
Started off shooting paper, 100 yards,  Leup VXIII 6-20X50  LR scope.  Groups with Federal 55FMJ were 2" 5 shot groups,  shot a magful of them (6).  Shot off Calwdell Ledsled
Then took the scope off and proceeded just to run rounds through it.  

I also had a regular
cmmg 14.7" M-4 clone on hand,  Gotta say side by side I dont think I will ever enjoy shooting another carbine as much as the ruger.  Yeah  its heavy,  but its very plesant to shoot.  Wife prefers the Ruger also,  

Not to shabby. Tilt wear is about the same as it was,  seems to have settled out.   no point in posting pics unless something breaks
500 more rounds to reach my 2k mark,   Going to mix in some federal 50HP ammo and see if anything changes

Got a line on a 6940 for the price I want to pay,  If I am able to get it I will be trying to 2k test with it before I leave.  Should at least be able to get 1k through it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Cool man, thanks for the update.  I think the wear will settle in (as Ruger said it would) and you won't see much difference after a certain point.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#20]
That's great. Thanks for the endurance test update. Glad to see it is doing so well.

What ammo are you using?
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That's great. Thanks for the endurance test update. Glad to see it is doing so well.

What ammo are you using?

Fed 55FMJ,   first 1k was from Walmart Value packs,  This 500 was from a case with black 20 round boxes.   mighta been American eagle  had LC 08 headstamp,  

Link Posted: 6/30/2009 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#22]
re buffer tube wear.  I saw a guy at the range with a LMT MRP piston gun.  he had the same issue but then it stopped wearing the buffer tube.  He said he's got a couple thousand rounds down it and it hasn't "shaved aluminum" since a shade over 500 rounds.

Don
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#23]
So you have not been able to cycle anything on setting 1 ?

Quoted:
Ran 500 more rounds through it this AM,  weather was nice,  not to hot/colt.   I started off and tried like someone else sugested and went on setting #1,  first round fired and ejected but did not pick up the next.    So  put it back on 2 and away I went.   Rifle was still dirty from the last range trip..  

Ran 100% on setting #2,  Fail on setting #1.  

To sum it up.
4 failures in 1500 rounds.   No cleaning or oiling short of the initial cleaning.  
Started off shooting paper, 100 yards,  Leup VXIII 6-20X50  LR scope.  Groups with Federal 55FMJ were 2" 5 shot groups,  shot a magful of them (6).  Shot off Calwdell Ledsled
Then took the scope off and proceeded just to run rounds through it.  

I also had a regular
cmmg 14.7" M-4 clone on hand,  Gotta say side by side I dont think I will ever enjoy shooting another carbine as much as the ruger.  Yeah  its heavy,  but its very plesant to shoot.  Wife prefers the Ruger also,  

Not to shabby. Tilt wear is about the same as it was,  seems to have settled out.   no point in posting pics unless something breaks
500 more rounds to reach my 2k mark,   Going to mix in some federal 50HP ammo and see if anything changes

Got a line on a 6940 for the price I want to pay,  If I am able to get it I will be trying to 2k test with it before I leave.  Should at least be able to get 1k through it.

Link Posted: 7/1/2009 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Is the firing pin not shrouded?

Link Posted: 7/1/2009 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Are you preparing for the "eminent" zombie invasion or the "imminent" one?
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you preparing for the "eminent" zombie invasion or the "imminent" one?

LMAO!!  

Link Posted: 7/1/2009 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Wow...I've had that up for months and no one (including myself) has noticed.

Fixed now...so how about answering my question!?!
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I can see the firing pin shoulders so would have to say its not shrouded.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wow...I've had that up for months and no one (including myself) has noticed.

Fixed now...so how about answering my question!?!

Uhh, aren't you the one that posted the pic of the SR-556 with the un-shrouded firing pin? I think you answered your own question....  

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top