Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/17/2009 6:38:11 PM EDT
A few weeks ago I upgraded my stock BCG to the new Exo-coated FailZero BCG for my SHTF Bushmaster.

It'd been awhile since I shot the bushy, so the oil from the last cleaning was for the most part, evaporated.

I popped in the FZBCG and took it to the range to shoot some reloads..

The only failure I had was some kind of nasty double feed that ended up jamming a spent casing between the top of the BCG, charging handle and upper reciever. Very strange. But, I can't really attribute this to the BCG.

Other than that, the FailZero worked just fine with no lube after firing about 200 rounds.

I took it home and field stripped the AR and BCG. Everything looked just like it normally would.

The FZ BCG is pretty amazing. Despite not having any lube, the BCG still felt slippery. (sorry, no pics)
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad it's working for you.

That is a lot of money for a BCG.I would just run a regular one wet and not worry.

I have yeat to see a hard run range report so I'm glad you can start one.

Do need pics. I would not worry on the BC finish wear but the rails on the inside of the receiver I would wonder how they would hold up without oil.
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That is a lot of money for a BCG.I would just run a regular one wet and not worry.

Do need pics. I would not worry on the BC finish wear but the rails on the inside of the receiver I would wonder how they would hold up without oil.

Nickel boron is slick stuff.
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I really just ran it dry as a test. I plan on keeping the BCG and CH lubed, just not as "wet" like a regular AR BCG.

I don't want to "torture test" a perfectly good AR just to beat on it. However, it was nice to know that if I "had" to, I could go 200 or more rounds with no lube.

It's not something I plan to do on a regular basis, however.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#6]
As ANYONE done a torture test on these? m4whore
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I second that emotion, Pics please when you get a chance
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#8]
i would like to try one of these
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#9]
oil evaporates?
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I bet your regular BCG would have passed that same test.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bet your regular BCG would have passed that same test.

shhhhhh!

he spent alot of money on the latest tacticool accessory. Don't burst his bubble.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been researching these bcgs and apparently chris costa ran 3500 rounds through one in a vickers tactical carbine course with no lube.  I have a feeling people are going to start taking these things seriously VERY soon.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Did he report any failures at all?those vickers classes can get real dirty,hot and demanding and even AKs can fail in those conditions.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Stickman's website has some pretty interesting stuff about the FailZero BCG's, if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Stickman's website has some pretty interesting stuff about the FailZero BCG's, if anyone is interested.

link?
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#16]
He has a website?  My google-fu did not bring one up.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I really don't get this whole running without lube, Fail Zero or not. You can run a regular BCG without lube. You can really run any firearm without some sort of lubricant/grease/oil/etc but that doesn't make it a good idea. Hell, if I payed $300 for a BCG I sure as shit would take good care of it and the first thing I would do is to keep it lubed to ensure that it takes less of a beating.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I really don't get this whole running without lube, Fail Zero or not. You can run a regular BCG without lube. You can really run any firearm without some sort of lubricant/grease/oil/etc but that doesn't make it a good idea. Hell, if I payed $300 for a BCG I sure as shit would take good care of it and the first thing I would do is to keep it lubed to ensure that it takes less of a beating.

the people that use it say that it is slicker than snot, meaning the coating acts as a lube, thus not doing damage to anything
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm kinda surprised that nobody has yet commented on the fact that the OP experienced a FAILURE with his "FAILZERO" BCG
Sometimes I wonder on how much (or little) you guys actually read.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm kinda surprised that nobody has yet commented on the fact that the OP experienced a FAILURE with his "FAILZERO" BCG

apparently more than you, because the OP seemed to think that "failure" was not related to the bcg...
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 4:06:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
He has a website?  My google-fu did not bring one up.

Weaponevolution
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I, too, think that $300 for a BCG is just absurd!

I refused to pay more than $200 for a YM N/M chrome M16 bcg and was hesitant to buy that but it was for a spare no expense build. I've never an issue with my RRA, BCM or USGI M16 BCG's which are all about $150. What does double my money get me?

ETA: I'm glad to hear that it worked for you and that you're happy with it. I'd like to see a torture test between a RRA (run of the mill), FailZero, Larue(settle the infamous arguement), and BCM or LMT BCG.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

apparently more than you, because the OP seemed to think that "failure" was not related to the bcg...

Ah, so we're assuming that the OP is an expert on failures and malfunctions (no offense to the OP).
Of course I read the entire thread, I'm not a hypocrite.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, so we're assuming that the OP is an expert on failures and malfunctions (no offense to the OP).
Of course I read the entire thread, I'm not a hypocrite.

Think about the nature of the jam.  How often are BCGs the cause of a double feed.  Especially ones that are made by reputable companies such as knights armament(which the failzero happens to be, failzero just applies their proprietary EXO coating) and then ask yourself, how often are jams, specifically double feeds related to the magazines???  The cause of this is pretty obvious to me.  Very low chance that the jam was the fault of the BCG and a very high chance that it was the magazine's fault IMHO.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top