Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/25/2009 11:06:14 AM EDT
I just assembled a new Upper with a used 16" M4 barrel and after assembly I noticed that the barrel does not have M4 feedramps but the Upper Reciver does (see pic below).

I assumed that all M4gery barrels had M4 feedramps but obviously not (anyone else ran into this?).

Has anyone ran a gun like this?  Will bullets get hung up on the barrel extension?  

Should I dremel the barrel extension to match the Receiver feedramps or will I have to get an old non-ramped Receiver for this barrel?

Link Posted: 4/25/2009 11:09:18 AM EDT
[#1]

Personally, I'd just dremel the ramps down to match up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 11:15:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks fine to me AS IS
BTW
Ive also had AR`s without M4ramps and never had problems
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Looks fine to me AS IS
BTW

Though it would be OK to have an M4 barrel extension with non M4 upper reciever, it it NOT OK  to have the opposite (as pictured by the OP). You would have the tips of the bullets catch on the underside of the barrel extension.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks fine to me AS IS
BTW

Though it would be OK to have an M4 barrel extension with non M4 upper reciever, it it NOT OK  to have the opposite (as pictured by the OP). You would have the tips of the bullets catch on the underside of the barrel extension.

when I insert my mags in both my M4`s by LMT

the bullets dont even hit below the ramps

I bet the upper would run without trouble is all Im saying

Link Posted: 4/25/2009 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#5]
You need to grind out your barrel extension.  The bullet tips can/will get caught in there.  Maybe not everytime but sooner or later it will happen.  For reliability you need to take care of that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You need to grind out your barrel extension.  The bullet tips can/will get caught in there.  Maybe not everytime but sooner or later it will happen.  For reliability you need to take care of that.

I would if I was LEO/Mil in a heart beat

but a range gun ?
I wouldnt but I was lucky with my old ar15

Link Posted: 4/25/2009 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#7]
GI 20's, older 30's, open tip hollow points, softnose bullets, all will find a way to get caught there.

Dremels are a bit too quick cutting.

Buy one of the three chain saw sharpening round fine tooth files that match your diameter.

Vise the upper upside down with good light so you can see.

Carefully blend the extension into the upper feed ramps.

Wrap the file with 400 grit paper and polish it.

"Aluminum Black" makes it invisible on the aluminum and the steel doesn't care.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#8]
whats the pink on the extension...you didnt loc tight the barrel extension in the upper did you?
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
GI 20's, older 30's, open tip hollow points, softnose bullets, all will find a way to get caught there.

Dremels are a bit too quick cutting.

Buy one of the three chain saw sharpening round fine tooth files that match your diameter.

Vise the upper upside down with good light so you can see.

Carefully blend the extension into the upper feed ramps.

Wrap the file with 400 grit paper and polish it.

"Aluminum Black" makes it invisible on the aluminum and the steel doesn't care.

You do not want to file into the aluminum. If you go too deep into the metal, you will grind away the anodizing wich accounts for the aluminum's strength. If you do file down the feed ramps, File a little, FIt alot on the barrel extension only.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Looks fine to me AS IS

BTW

I agree with your statement that rifles without M4 ramps run fine.

However, i think it would be a bad idea to keep the rifle as is.  I'd probably not want to take a dremel anywhere near that rifle, but it's not that big of a deal to buy and swap a upper receiver.

To the OP: Sell that M4 extension receiver on the EE for $100 bucks, and buy the correct upper receiver without the M4 cuts.  You'll prob lose a net of $20 and some of your time after all is said and done, but peace of mind is priceless.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
whats the pink on the extension...you didnt loc tight the barrel extension in the upper did you?

The pink/red stuff is Mobil 1 grease that I put on the threads of the Receiver before installing the barrel.

I think that I may swap out the Upper Receiver for a non-feedramp Upper.  Dremeling/filing the extension makes me a little nervous.

Anyone have a non-feedramp flat top Upper they want to trade?  This one has never been fired and has white T-marks.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2009 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#12]
As others said, there is a good chance SP, HP and OTM bullets will catch there.  I even had FMJ catching and mine looked better than yours.  You can always try it and see if it works, but I'd have it corrected.  Adco did mine and I was very happy with them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#13]
The flat top that you have was made for feed ramps, but the barrel wasn't. You can cut the feed ramps in the barrel with a dremel and a chainsaw sharpening stone. It isn't hard to do if you have a barrel vise, I normally cut a few feed ramps myself everyday.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Given a choice, you would want to avoid cutting the anodize.  On the other hand, what you want is a smooth unbroken trough from the upper receiver through the lugs into the chamber. If the upper anodize gets reshaped a bit in doing the extension feed ramps, it doesn't matter.

Take a look inside the receivers of many/most of the M4 cut uppers being sold.  The Dremel line cuts the aluminum and leaves it shinny.  Same anodize, same reshaping, same doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#15]
what I do is with a sharpie mark off on the extension how it lines up with the ramps then a little less than 1/8 deep will set the angle for right and left ramp/when looked at from the bottom it will look like to crecents cut into the extension side by side.Then I mirror polish the ramps and use gun blue paste followed by spray and bake or not teflon.Just go a little at the time with the dremel..
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#16]
step 1. stop using bonehead terms like m4gery, m4clone they are the dumbest things ive ever heard.
step 2. it will work OK but like others have said it will jam sooner or later, if you are not confident doing it a gunsmith can help you, probably wouldn't cost much at all
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By tacticalcarbine:
step 1. stop using bonehead terms like m4gery, m4clone they are the dumbest things ive ever heard.
step 2. it will work OK but like others have said it will jam sooner or later, if you are not confident doing it a gunsmith can help you, probably wouldn't cost much at all

This is coming from someone with the username "tacticalcarbine?" I'm sorry, but I find that kinda funny.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#18]
last i knew m4's were carbines and tactical guns.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 5:35:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
last i knew m4's were carbines and tactical guns.

"Tactical" is just about the most overused term on this board. Tactical pants, tactical gloves, tactical hats, tactical bipods... Even tactical bacon.

I just found it funny that you called out someone for using "M4gery" while using "tactical" in every one of your posts. A little gentle ribbing is all.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 5:52:34 AM EDT
[#20]
not slammin anyone it just seems on here you only hear that if they are new or colt only people. honestly if its not a military m4 (3 rd. F/A) all of them are m4gery guns
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 5:58:46 AM EDT
[#21]
I had a setup similar to the OP when I did a build.  It chocked on HP every time.  I was nervous about doing the dremel work but it turned out great.  Do like the above posters have said.  Mark it with a sharpie then remove barrel, grind, then reassemble to check fit.  Repeat as needed.  I used a dremel on its slowest setting and a chain saw sharpening dremel bit.  If you are REALLY nervous then several companies can do it for you for very little money.  Do a search for "M4 feedramps" and you might find a link for their services.  But really, it is pretty simple.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 6:08:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

not slammin anyone it just seems on here you only hear that if they are new or colt only people. honestly if its not a military m4 (3 rd. F/A) all of them are m4gery guns

Your digging the hole deeper

I agree with the others i'd swap uppers put a add in the ee you can probably find someone to trade and just be out shipping.........

Link Posted: 4/26/2009 6:12:23 AM EDT
[#23]
i guess ill just shut up cuz either way i guess im wrong
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#24]
It may work fine, the best way to know is to test it.

I have an upper where the barrel has m4 cuts and the receiver doesn't. It has never hiccuped in the 1k plus I've put through it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm in the same boat m4 receiver with a rifle barrel coming.  Once I grind the barrel extension down what's the best way to polish the ground surface area up. Emory cloth, fine dremel bit what?
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By tacticalcarbine:

This is coming from someone with the username "tacticalcarbine?" I'm sorry, but I find that kinda funny.

No shit!  What a maroon.

Seriously, before you start nitpicking about dumb terms, might wanna take that plank out of your own eye bud...
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#27]
They have polishing bits for the dremel or polishing compound with a hard cotton polishing bit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Personally, I'd swap the upper out.  It might work OK for some mags/ammo combos, but not for others and could just be frustrating.  Plus, you'll know it's not right and it will nag you everytime you go to the range.   CMT and DS Arms both make flat top uppers w/o feedramp cuts that are a good value.

Quoted:
i guess ill just shut up cuz either way i guess im wrong

Pretty much.

Link Posted: 4/26/2009 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Personally, I'd swap the upper out.  It might work OK for some mags/ammo combos, but not for others and could just be frustrating.  Plus, you'll know it's not right and it will nag you everytime you go to the range.   CMT and DS Arms both make flat top uppers w/o feedramp cuts that are a good value.

Only problem is that I have a matched green set from essential arms...It'd be pretty hard to find another upper that matched the color.  The barrel was priced to good to pass up.  I'm sure it's gotta be pretty close to spec with a home grown grinding job.  Anybody got pics of the finish product after grinding your own barrel extension.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
...If you go too deep into the metal, you will grind away the anodizing wich accounts for the aluminum's strength. If you do file down the feed ramps, File a little, FIt alot on the barrel extension only.

I'm probably splitting hairs, the hard coat anodizing is only a few thousands of an inch thick, it really does little for structural strength.  It has the surface hardness of steel, which helps protect the softer aluminum from corrosion, scratches, dings and wearing down from rubbing.  Perhaps that is what you meant, which I agree, you'd want to avoid grinding off the Hard Coat.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only problem is that I have a matched green set from essential arms...It'd be pretty hard to find another upper that matched the color.  The barrel was priced to good to pass up.  I'm sure it's gotta be pretty close to spec with a home grown grinding job.  Anybody got pics of the finish product after grinding your own barrel extension.

Yeah, that's a bummer.  I'd take the barrel off the receiver and put it in a vice if I was going to do any grinding on it.  That way you won't damage the receiver, will be better able to see what you're doing, and be more consistent/precise in what you're doing.  Just go slow and slide the upper on to check how it matches up to the upper's ramps every so often.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

O'Rly?

Link Posted: 4/26/2009 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#33]
just use it and if you have problems them address them.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#34]

You do not want to file into the aluminum. If you go too deep into the metal, you will grind away the anodizing wich accounts for the aluminum's strength. If you do file down the feed ramps, File a little, FIt alot on the barrel extension only.

Anodizing is a surface coating/chemical reaction/oxidizing for, of and on aluminum.  It's like rust... part of the surface of the aluminum and does not add strength to the part.  It has strength as a coating or finish but it's not "structural" strength.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Anodizing is a surface coating/chemical reaction/oxidizing for, of and on aluminum.  It's like rust... part of the surface of the aluminum and does not add strength to the part.  It has strength as a coating or finish but it's not "structural" strength.

It is not like rust. Aluminum rust is called carborundum. It is bad stuff.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Fill in those little nibs with JB Quick. and be done with it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 5:35:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Fill in those little nibs with JB Quick. and be done with it.

Yep.  I did just that.  You can read about it here.  It was the most expedient (and most easily reversible) option.  In several hundred rounds, I haven't had any problems.

If it becomes a problem, I can later file it out and contour the extension to match the receiver feedramps, as suggested by others.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top