Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2009 6:17:06 PM EDT
I have been thinking about purchasing one......what are your guys thoughts on both these........any pics of set ups wuld be greatly appreciated.  I am interested in the Tango down stubby  or the FUG in its shortest form.......how do they fit the hand......post pics  thanks!
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#1]
FUG
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Have the FUG and the regular TD , really like the LaRue over the TD

Link Posted: 3/6/2009 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I run both, and both are good to go. I do like the TD a little better as it is just a little shorter, it helps with the way I hold the rifle.  I just kind of use the vert grip as a reference point with my thumb along the rail.  So the extra length is just wasted real estate IMO.  I have heard folks say that the "non" QD TD can be a bitch to get into position. What ever works out for you in the end.

Sir James...
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks to all that have answered........specific question for mvician   why the FUG over the TD?  also do you have a side by side shot of both together?  so I can see differences in height and width
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#5]
FUG
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#6]
FUG
Mine is awesome.
Only vfg I even considered after finding out the facts.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a non-QD TD and I can't wait to replace it with the LaRue.  The TD is nice and does the job but I need the quick disconnect feature and from my experience with other Larue QD stuff I know I can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#8]
FUG
Mine is awesome.
Only vfg I even considered after finding out the facts.

facts?
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#9]
See if this will help

TD Stubby on my LWRC
LT Fug on my LMT

Sir James...
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Why do you need a quick detach VFG?

I use nothing by the stubby TD grips on my ARs and AKs
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I use a stubby TD QD grip.I like using a magwell type hold and that grip makes it the same feel and I love the compactness of the stubby size.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 12:17:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd go with the FUG, no slight on the TD, but the adjustability of the FUG puts it ahead.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 3:34:36 AM EDT
[#13]
The Larue fanboys would buy a polished turd if it had Larue on it.  It may be a nice product but I won't give Mark a dime of my money after seeing him make a complete ass of himself here on many occasion.  

I run the QD stubby and love it.   Much easier to get on/off, and doesn't wobble after hard use or if you have a slightly undersized rail.  I believe it's cheaper than the FUGly.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 6:03:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 6:19:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Larue fanboys would buy a polished turd if it had Larue on it.  It may be a nice product but I won't give Mark a dime of my money after seeing him make a complete ass of himself here on many occasion.  

I run the QD stubby and love it.   Much easier to get on/off, and doesn't wobble after hard use or if you have a slightly undersized rail.  I believe it's cheaper than the FUGly.

It hasn't occured to you that I only respond to sh*t like your comment with an "Equal Response".

Heads-up (not in), there are tens of thousands of LaRue kit owners.  But there is just  a handful of keyboard soldiers like you that delight in calling anybody that enjoys our well-made kit a "Fanboy".

Keep it up ... you're lookin' damn good.

That's fine, it gives me something to do, a keyboard slapdown, both fun and enjoyable, and a good time killer whilst I wait on the next 1st-article to come off of this or that CNC.

M. LaRue

ETA -  Announcement, I'm pretty sure we're tossing a Machine Gun Lube in every FUG now ... it'll come in handy.

Does that include every FUG in the UDE kit?  I plan on ordering one when i get the funds together.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 6:54:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It hasn't occured to you that I only respond to sh*t like your comment with an "Equal Response".

Heads-up (not in), there are tens of thousands of LaRue kit owners.  But there is just  a handful of keyboard soldiers like you that delight in calling anybody that enjoys our well-made kit a "Fanboy".

That's fine, it gives me something to do, a keyboard slapdown, both fun and enjoyable, and a good time killer whilst I wait on the next 1st-article to come off of this or that CNC.

M. LaRue

ETA -  Announcement, I'm pretty sure we're tossing a Machine Gun Lube in every FUG now ... it'll come in handy.

ETA 2 - In keeping with me being the "Biggest D*ckhead On ARFcom" , here's a link to the month's Stealth Upper Grand Giveaway, I just locked it and pulled the number ––-> " And the Winning Number is ... " on Page 61.

Some get it Mark, and some never will.   We all know which number outweighs which.

T - Proud LT "FanBoy" even if you didn't pick my number.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 8:25:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
FUG

Link Posted: 3/7/2009 8:58:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What a complete douche. How does one become a LaRue fanboy? Maybe after purchasing a LaRue product and realizing it's far superior to any similar manufacturer's product? Or maybe its after you deal with LaRue for help and you can't believe the amazing customer service they offer. Or maybe!!! its the amount of help they offer perspective customers whom haven't even spent a dime on a LaRue product yet?

...and yes, if I was in the market for a polished turd, and I knew Larue made one... I'd look no further.

Go with the FUG and rest assured knowing you bought the best part for your money.

Larue fanboy # 164,235,623,456,997
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#20]
TangoDown.......omg that was hilarious
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#21]
[
...and yes, if I was in the market for a polished turd, and I knew Larue made one... I'd look no further.

Larue fanboy # 164,235,623,456,997

I'm bettin some Dillo Dust would be da chit on some polished turds!!!!!!!  LaRue has been nothing but the best to me, new guy and all!!!!

Link Posted: 3/7/2009 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#22]
So Larue's got personality, why would that keep me from buying from them?  Heck, he could call me names on the board, but when I come to them as a customer I get stellar customer service.  Better than most any company I've dealt with.  If you don't want to read Mark's rants, don't read them.  Sheesh!

I'm almost through my first jar of dillo dust, I gotta support my dust dealer... I'm addicted!
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#23]
This has nothing to do with my opinion of vert. grips and as you can tell by the post numbers, I'm new to the forum.  I will chime in on Larue though, I had never purchased a thing from them and had some questions about the setup I was looking for.  I called them and they were very helpful in anwering my questions concering the setup i wanted.  Needless to say, I purchased a pivot mount from them and will order anything I can from them if I need it.  it's easy to see why so many here on this sight and everywhere else has good things to say about Larue.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 12:38:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:  
The Larue fanboys would buy a polished turd if it had Larue on it. It may be a nice product but I won't give Mark a dime of my money after seeing him make a complete ass of himself here on many occasion.  

Uh, bigkracka,

Like the rest of that handful of haters ... you left an easy trail.  

As much as you hated to, I found where you ordered and got some P-Mags a few weeks back.  And only after you got yours were you willing to "spill the beans".

" LaRue has P-Mags "

Quoted:
Posted: 1/21/2009 7:23:08 PM CST
I got mine so I guess I'll spill the beans. They show backorder but they are in stock. How many, I don't know. I ordered ten 30rd black non window Mon and got em today.  

Like I said, I'm here waiting on the next part, and got a little time to kill.

Link Posted: 3/7/2009 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Mark I may drink the Noveske koolaid but you guys rock and are a class act! Looking forward to buying mounts, vfgs and whatever the hell else you are selling that I may need in the future
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been waiting about 2 weeks for my FUG to ship  
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#29]
LaRue Fanboy here
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I have one of the non-QD Tango Down and would not recommend this model.  It's a great size for the hand, but it didn't fit any rail on any of my rifles.  Took quite a bid of filing and a big hammer to get it on.  It's a pain to move on the rail.  If you end up getting one, toss the ridiculous cable ties and use 3/16 roll pins to hold the locking tabs down.

I don't own a LaRue FUG yet, but everything else LaRue I own has been top notch.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:  
The Larue fanboys would buy a polished turd if it had Larue on it. It may be a nice product but I won't give Mark a dime of my money after seeing him make a complete ass of himself here on many occasion.  

Uh, bigkracka,

Like the rest of that handful of haters ... you left an easy trail.  

As much as you hated to, I found where you ordered and got some P-Mags a few weeks back.  And only after you got yours were you willing to "spill the beans".

" LaRue has P-Mags "

Quoted:
Posted: 1/21/2009 7:23:08 PM CST
I got mine so I guess I'll spill the beans. They show backorder but they are in stock. How many, I don't know. I ordered ten 30rd black non window Mon and got em today.  

Like I said, I'm here waiting on the next part, and got a little time to kill.

LaRue wins and I am a "fan boy"!
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 12:18:55 AM EDT
[#33]
I solved the problem of which one to buy by not using a VFG.

Link Posted: 3/8/2009 12:30:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

M. LaRue

ETA 2 - In keeping with me being the "Biggest D*ckhead On ARFcom" , here's a link to the month's Stealth Upper Grand Giveaway, I just locked it and pulled the number ––-> " And the Winning Number is ... " on Page 61.

Marky Mark, you're the freaking MAN!

you not only found a way to put a quick detach mount on something that over 95% of people will never move, but you also make them sell like hot cakes at $100 a piece!

you sir are a scholar and a gentleman. dont let anyone tell you different.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 12:52:09 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a FUG and a Bobro and I definitely prefer the FUG! Also you can put a spare bolt in the FUG with the medium base cap. You cant fit a bolt in the Bobro without some modifying. I had the old non detachable Tango Down VFG and it just never felt right in my hand and it was a PITA to remove!
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 2:49:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

M. LaRue

Marky Mark, you're the freaking MAN!

you not only found a way to put a quick detach mount on something that over 95% of people will never move, but you also make them sell like hot cakes at $100 a piece!

you sir are a scholar and a gentleman. dont let anyone tell you different.

Link Posted: 3/8/2009 6:41:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've been waiting about 2 weeks for my FUG to ship  

Same here... along with a few other goodies. Sometimes one has to wait for the "good stuff".

Flash
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 6:43:28 AM EDT
[#38]
wow my thread has gone a completely different direction........lets keep the bickering to a minimum guys, thats not what I started this thread for.  I dont care about fanboys, I dont care about Pmags, and I dont care who started what.......thats not what I asked.  My question was what do you like better and why  state pros or cons to either.......Keep it to the thread.....thanks
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't think LaRue MP tests their FUGs. They aren't mil-spec.

But seriously, I'd recommend you get your hands on both before you buy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 7:25:04 AM EDT
[#40]
I have a non-QD TD grip on one rifle and a FUG on the other. The QD is not even a factor for me because I never move them or take them off. The FUG is more comfortable in my hand and locks up tighter than the TD. When LaRue makes a FUG in FDE I will be swapping out the TD. I dont think you can go wrong with either but I  just like the FUG better.

As far as being a LaRue "fanboy"...... I AM A PROUD LARUE GROUPIE!!!!
I ordered a ML3 in a canteliever mount about a month ago. I called after a week and was wondering if it shipped. They said they were waiting on the mount. No problem I can wait. Another week goes by and the mount still isnt made. I am very patient when it comes to getting exactly what I want. No biggie, I wait. Well another week goes by and I notice my CC still isnt charged. I call and speak to Austin. He tells me that they dont have anymore ML3's . I guess he could hear in my voice I was real disappointed cause I was supposed to go shooting that weekend with some friends. Well Austin tells me " How bout I send ya a Comp M3 instead for the same price? Is that OK?" Well they did and needless to say I am a LaRue junkie for life.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 7:30:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 7:42:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a non-QD TD grip on one rifle and a FUG on the other. The QD is not even a factor for me because I never move them or take them off. The FUG is more comfortable in my hand and locks up tighter than the TD. When LaRue makes a FUG in FDE I will be swapping out the TD. I dont think you can go wrong with either but I  just like the FUG better.

I ordered a ML3 in a canteliever mount about a month ago. I called after a week and was wondering if it shipped. They said they were waiting on the mount. No problem I can wait. Another week goes by and the mount still isnt made. I am very patient when it comes to getting exactly what I want. No biggie, I wait. Well another week goes by and I notice my CC still isnt charged. I call and speak to Austin. He tells me that they dont have anymore ML3's . I guess he could hear in my voice I was real disappointed cause I was supposed to go shooting that weekend with some friends. Well Austin tells me " How bout I send ya a Comp M3 instead for the same price? Is that OK?" Well they did and needless to say I am a LaRue junkie for life.

Roger that, and thanks for the business and glad the FUG is to your liking.

Now,  I almost hate to ask, but  ... "What is Rager Racing ?"

LOL.....It is actually "Rage Racing". That is the name of our Outlaw 10.5 drag race team. The name "Rage" was given to me by the other drivers in the class they said I always look pissed off even if we win. I guess I just have that kinda "look". I really am a nice guy....I swear.

Link Posted: 3/8/2009 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roger that, and thanks for the business and glad the FUG is to your liking.

Now,  I almost hate to ask, but  ... "What is Rager Racing ?"

When I saw 10.5 I thought what do 10.5 barrels have to do with racing?

Link Posted: 3/8/2009 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#44]
When the FDE FUG comes out, ill get one. I kinda wish to get both to see which fits my hand the best.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Why do you need a quick detach VFG?

Ease of adjustment to out-of-spec rail, ease of experimenting with position. For discrete carry, I occasionally use tennis racket cover, and ability to strip down and put back all accessories quickly is a plus.

To OP:

You aren't going to find too many folks who own both in QD version. There are already two pages to this thread, and only one poster has both units with QD lock. Since both products are of excellent quality, their respective owners will endorse them.

There are no "facts" that one is superior than another. FUG has advantage of being adjustable in length, should you ever decide using longer VFG. TD is shorter than short FUG, so if you want to cut down to shortest possible, TD is the way to go and it costs less. Both companies have good rep and have supported their end-users beyond reproach. Just get one and you'll be happy regardless of choice.

Link Posted: 3/8/2009 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#46]
I have had the following vfgs:

Tango Down fullsize

Tango Down irish

Bobro fullsize

Bobro shorty

LT FUG

While I haven't used the TD with the QD lever one thing I have found is that the most comfortable to me is far and away the FUG.

I bought a FUG to try out as I wasn't sure if I would like it, turns out that the flats on the side make for a very comfortable grip. The lever is unobtrusive and allows me to get a high grip without issue.

With the TD I never did care for the actual shape of the grip. The Bobro was okay but the blockiness of the top portion cut into the comfort of a high grip.

So much of gear selection is personal preference that I usually just buy a quality product, try it to see if it fits my needs/wants/desires. If it doesn't  it goes up in the EE at 10% under cost. I chalk up the small loss on T&E experience. Asking others if it's a quality piece is great but my preferences aren't yours, and my situation isn't yours. Hell, Mark and his team have a "If you're not happy, we aren't happy" guarantee if you didn't like the FUG.

Just an opinion from a purveyor of fine firearms items, if that makes me a LaRue fanboy, well I've been called a lot worse.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#47]
I only have the TD stubby and I like it a lot, very solid and does what I need it to do, I will take it with me to the box later. On the other hand, the aesthetics of the FUG are great and I really like the UDE color that just came out, pretty sharp. I am sure both are great quality and you get what you pay for, so either one would be a great addition to your money pit.

There are a lot of haters on the internet everywhere you turn and that is just something that everyone has to put up with from time to time. I have seen some less than professional posts by everyone on this board, it kind of reminds of middle school in a lot of ways, the popular clicks and the cool crowd. That kid just got new Nike shoes, so to be as cool as him I have to get them now or I wont be in the "in" crowd, it is kind of ridiculous and way out of control. Just because somebody has a new toys then others feel the need to compete.  YOU GUYS ARE ADULTS FOR GOD'S SAKE, HOW ABOUT ACTING LIKE IT!!!

P.S. stop driving up the prices.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top