Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/10/2009 7:55:32 AM EDT
A really good friend (former flight student of mine) is a USAF Special Tacitics officer and he invited me out on a live fire exercise with his team while they were in town for an exercise to assault an airfield and use fighters for Close Air Support.  Interestingly also the fighter's (2 ship of Strike Eagles) were guys from my former base where I used to fly.  

It was amazing to see these guys in action - they were some of the most professional operators I've met and they were definitely the varsity team when it came to controlling Air.  These guys, even though they are USAF, go through just as rigourous a training regimen as the Army Green Berets and the Navy Seals.  Typically two years or more of jump school, HALO, scuba, and all the various warfare training that any other Special Forces guys do.  In fact, these guys are typically embedded with SEAL and ODA teams anytime they are deployed in theater because they want the the AF Combat Controllers expertise to use Close Air Siupport when the SHTF.  Anyway, it was eye-watering to see them in action from the ground side of things since I usually only talk to them on the radio from 15K feet above.  And the coolest part was I got to shoot all the fun toys like the M4, M2, M240, M203 grenade launcher, SAW and LAW rocket.  Unfortunatly the MK-19 broke early on.  

Anyway, I thought I'd share some pics of the day:

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#1]

Helo gunship shooting above us

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:00:02 AM EDT
[#2]

F-15E in for a strafe pass
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:03:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:04:18 AM EDT
[#4]
God bless all of you. Thanks for your service. Great pics. Glad you're on our side.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:06:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow, thanks for sharing these awesome pics!  

-X
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice pics!
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:11:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Setting up for an entry - "the stack"

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:16:17 AM EDT
[#12]
WHere was this and and was is just training??
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:20:24 AM EDT
[#14]
wheres the muzzle discipline in "the stack"
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Finally, obligatory shots of my having fun!

And a blatent LaRue hat pic:

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
WHere was this and and was is just training??

Judging by the Connex Boxes I would venture a guess for training, maybe in Yuma????

Great Pics OP!!! keep 'em comming
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#17]
looks alot of fun!
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
God bless all of you. Thanks for your service. Great pics. Glad you're on our side.

+1

thank You guys!
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for what those guys do.......

You gotta' love your Combat Air Guy....God Bless Em
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes, CAS was an eye opener from the other end.  I've worked with a lot of vanilla JTACS in combat and they ranged from awful to very good.  But the CCT's were by far the best I've seen.  

I'm going to pass on posting the Sq on a public forum.  I'd rather not "out" these guys - hence the blacked out faces and patches.  It was an honor to go out with them and I don't want to abuse the trust they gave me to ride along and see them in action.  As a fighter pilot though - I do have new respect for these guys - especially the enlisted folks who do all the hard work and go in harm's way the most.  Thanks for you service!
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow. Very cool. Thx
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:35:31 AM EDT
[#23]

SO MUCH AMMO!!!

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#24]
So cool.  I am envious.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

SO MUCH AMMO!!!

Dude, you have no idea!  We went out with both HUMVEE's back ends stacked two deep in ammo cans of 50 cal, 7.62, and 5.56.  We got into a notional "fire-fight" early on and were empty w/in about an hour.  They did a mock helo resupply to simulate bringing more ammo and doing a CASEVAC of the wounded.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:44:40 AM EDT
[#26]
What this at Yuma?  29 Pams maybe?
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#27]
And since this is an AR tech forum - some interesting toys I noticed..... there was a mix of ACOGs and Eotechs, with one of the new ELCAN SpectreDR (can anyone spot it?).  Also I noticed the weapon lights were almost exclusively the Surefire model that is similar to the Streamlight TLR-1 rather than the traditional flashlight tube style.

Also I asked about the mix of SOPMOD stocks and regular M4 stocks and they guys said it was personal preference and some didn't just like the SOPMOD.  

As far as the M4s - all the ones I saw were Colt M4s with the full-auto selector, not the 3 rnd burst.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:51:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What this at Yuma?  29 Pams maybe?

Nope.  NTTR
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wow, thanks for sharing these awesome pics!  

-X

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#30]

MK19 FTW!

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Great post, great pics...awesome experience, I am 100% jealous!! Thanks for sharing this stuff.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

MK19 FTW!

given that it hard broke before the 1st shot was even fired - I would say MK19 FAIL!

eta:  the charging handle broke when the gunner went to chamber the 1st round as we hit the edge of the range.  Here are pics of the Sq armorer they brought along trying to fix it.  They finally gave up and mounted an M240 in it place and put the MK19 in the back on the floor.

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#33]
God I wish I was there right now..... I sometimes regret that i got out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Eh.

I don't see any muzzles pointed at the good guys.  If you wanted to educate proffessional soldiers, you've got to offer more specific critiques than "
"

Indulge us.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#35]
I see some multicam.  Is multicam issued to some of these units?

I didn't think any U.S. units used multicam.  Has that changed?

I like multicam because I can wear camo, w/o looking like I'm trying to pose as a Soldier or Marine.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Very nice! Thank you and all for your service! Awsome pics!
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I like multicam because I can wear camo, w/o looking like I'm trying to pose as a Soldier or Marine.

What is multi-cam?
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is multi-cam?

It's a camouflage pattern.  In the last picture above, the guy's pants on the right are multicam.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is multi-cam?

Isn't Mult-Cam what Airsofters usually show off in?

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is multi-cam?

It's a camouflage pattern.  In the last picture above, the guy's pants on the right are multicam.

Oh, I didn't know that.  I know I stood out in my ABU's.  The rest of the team had the other camo pattern you are referring to.  Maybe they just like to be different from the rest of the regular Mil.  I'm sure there's a tactical reason for it.  I never asked.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#42]
You'll find a lot of the SF guys in  Afghanistan wear what they want....to an extent. The delta guys stationed at our FOB in stan rarely if ever had on ACU's or DCU's. We did a few missions with some of them and from talking with them, they kinda get to do use/wear what they want within reason.

Great pics bro! All that shit is even more fun when the MK19 works and when it's the real deal.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
And since this is an AR tech forum - some interesting toys I noticed..... there was a mix of ACOGs and Eotechs, with one of the new ELCAN SpectreDR (can anyone spot it?).  Also I noticed the weapon lights were almost exclusively the Surefire model that is similar to the Streamlight TLR-1 rather than the traditional flashlight tube style.

Also I asked about the mix of SOPMOD stocks and regular M4 stocks and they guys said it was personal preference and some didn't just like the SOPMOD.  

As far as the M4s - all the ones I saw were Colt M4s with the full-auto selector, not the 3 rnd burst.

The light appears to be the Insight M3X.  It is an issued and supply item.
Here is a pic http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item.aspx?pid=78550

I wonder if the ELCAN is issued or personally purchased.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You'll find a lot of the SF guys in  Afghanistan wear what they want....to an extent. The delta guys stationed at our FOB in stan rarely if ever had on ACU's or DCU's. We did a few missions with some of them and from talking with them, they kinda get to do use/wear what they want within reason.

Great pics bro! All that shit is even more fun when the MK19 works and when it's the real deal.

Yeah, I was REALLY disappointed the MK19 went Tango Uniform.  I was looking forward to squeezing off a few rounds.  The Ma Deuce was fun though.....
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The light appears to be the Insight M3.  It is an issued and supply item.

I wonder if the ELCAN is issued or personally purchased.

That;s cool.  I never really got a close look at the lights.  I could swear one was a Surefire because it was hanging right next to my head in the HUMVEE.

The ELCAN was issued.  They had a couple more back at the STOC still in the box waiting to get handed out.

ETA:  I REALLY liked the ELCAN.  Nice optics and reticle.  I got to shoot the guy's M4 with the ELCAN in the pic and it was really nice.  The switch that flips it between 1x and 4x was really nice.  It was either 1x or 4 x, nothing in between, so you didn't dick around with a rotating knob.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Notso...long live the sunken check-six....how's it going brother? I thought that was your ugly mug in those shots!

KBAD
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#47]
ma deuce and the mk 19 were my bread and butter in the field artillery days. i've broke a handle or two in my time. great pics and thanks for sharing. my father in law was/is an air traffic controller and always wanted to be a CC. He wimped out when they told him the washout rate and the possible reclass out of traffic if you fail tech school.

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#48]

just saying this doesn't look like the "professional" stacks i'm used to being in.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Eh.

I don't see any muzzles pointed at the good guys.  If you wanted to educate proffessional soldiers, you've got to offer more specific critiques than ""

Indulge us.

not trying to hijack as the pics are pretty sweet, just pointing out what i saw in a couple of the photos.  looks like guys standing around with daddy's shotgun in the back of the stack, while operators up front are starting to move.  if you don't agree that it looks a little fubar, than no amount of explanation from me is going to help you.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Notso...long live the sunken check-six....how's it going brother? I thought that was your ugly mug in those shots!

KBAD

IM sent
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top