Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2008 9:19:21 PM EDT
Can't get the bitch in, had it half way and the gas tube hole no longer lined up on other side so had to pull it out with vise grips..never had this much trouble with a roll pin. Anyway, what is the best way to get these F%&king things in and also, destroyed the last one, anyone know the size on these pins, I have a industrial wearhouse close by that carrys all sizes of roll pins...Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#1]
5/64 to punch out and then line up gas tube and place the same punch in hole to make sure everthing is lined up.  Then use a roll pin holder to start and then finish with a 1/8 punch.  1/8 punch are used for all roll pins

5/64 is only used for gas tube
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info. Where would I find a roll pin holder? I put the gas tube in to the FSB and lined up the holes buy putting a 1/16 punch thru, everything looked good.. I then got the pin started (barely) into one side of the gas tube hole in the sight, then I taped with a 1/8th punch, got it about half way and looked at the other side of sight hole and the gas tube had moved so I could see only a half circle, seems the tube had moved but the other side still had the pin half way.....had to use vise grips to pull out the pin and destroyed it..........seems really tight.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought mine from, Specialized Armament

The Roll pin holders set of four are $42.00 its from the same picture on my first reply.

As for removal of gas tube pin, I punch out from the left side and replace from the right side.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 12:30:46 AM EDT
[#4]
FWIW I use a small set of pliers and start the roll pin with a small hammer. Then use a punch to drive it home.

Roll pins are 1/16th in dia by 5/16 long.

If you need extras Delton sells them. Call to place an order so you dont get charged regular shipping rates.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 1:22:02 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're cheap like me, and don't want to buy a roll pin holder you can always make your own. Just take a large(ish) cheap punch and drill a hole in the back (hammer) side just large enough to hold the pin in it with about half the pin sticking out. Put the gas tube in the sight base/gas block and line up the hole properly, then put the pin in your home made holder and line things up with the hole on the gas block / sight base and whack the other end with a hammer (this is why the punch should be relatively large... so you can whack the "wrong" end with a hammer without causing a problem). This will start the pin into the hole, then you just turn the punch around and whack the pin the rest of the way in in the normal way.

Works every time.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 3:16:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I bought mine from, Specialized Armament

The Roll pin holders set of four are $42.00 its from the same picture on my first reply.

As for removal of gas tube pin, I punch out from the left side and replace from the right side.  

ADCO has them or something anyway for $20.

Adco $20

I try and use the old one, but that won't last forever.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 3:18:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you're cheap like me, and don't want to buy a roll pin holder you can always make your own. Just take a large(ish) cheap punch and drill a hole in the back (hammer) side just large enough to hold the pin in it with about half the pin sticking out. Put the gas tube in the sight base/gas block and line up the hole properly, then put the pin in your home made holder and line things up with the hole on the gas block / sight base and whack the other end with a hammer (this is why the punch should be relatively large... so you can whack the "wrong" end with a hammer without causing a problem). This will start the pin into the hole, then you just turn the punch around and whack the pin the rest of the way in in the normal way.

Works every time.

Sweet idea - I will make one.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:19:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I hold mine with a pair of hemostats and then tap it in.  

When you buy roll pins, buy them by the pound...LOL

Once they hit the ground, they vanish....
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#9]
How I did mone was I got a staple and made it straight ran it through the roll pin and gas tube and everything, got a pair a vice grips and started to press the pin in by tightening the vice grips 1/4 turn at a time. Once it was about half way I removed the now crushed staple and finished pressing it in.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 2:42:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Are the roll pins 1/16th or are they 5/64th???? I think they are wider then 1/16th.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#11]
5/64th is the correct size.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I buy dpms gas tube roll pins from brownells and they've always had one side tapered in slightly.  This allows the pin to be easily started into the hole by hand pressure.  Then I use a hammer with or without a punch and it's worked fine numerous times for me.  I can post pics later if necessary - i've got one of the pins on hand.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I have tried and tried...it seems like the pin is just to wide to even start...Hardest part is trying to hold the little shit while tapping it, just pops off to the side, tried holding with needle nose and tapping..no go, I am going to borrow a roll pin holder/starter tomorrow, that should work....I have build more then a few of these rifles but never dealt with this shit little gas tube pin that is giving me all the BS.......the removal of the sight base took about 5 min, slid the new one on and thought ..wow..this is going to be all of 20 min..........no such luck. Thanks for all the help......really appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 7:30:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Sorry for the blurred picture, but this is to clarify what I was trying to say above. There's no need for a store bought roll pin punch if you have some cheap punches laying around. Just drill a hole in the back of one that's big enough to hold the pin in with a little of it sticking out. Put the pin in there, line it up with the pin hole on the gas block and whack it with a hammer. Unless you have the wrong size roll pin or have peened the end of it to the point that it can't go in... it WILL start into the hole. All you have to do then is turn the punch around and beat the pin the rest of the way in. This is normally _very_ easy. After you do this you'll wonder why anyone would fiddle with trying to hold the pin with pliers. That's just an exercise in frustration and there's no need for it.

Either way, good luck with it. Just trying to help out.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top