Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2008 1:58:23 PM EDT
Took apart my gun to field strip. Took the extractor off the bolt to clean it. But I think I found an O ring under there. Is it supposed to be in that little chamber under the extractor? If not... where? I don't recall there being one on the firing pin.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#1]
It goes around the extractor spring.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Blast me, but it is best left in a pars draw.  

Use the correct color coded post in a quality spring and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Garbage can.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Blast me, but it is best left in a pars draw.

Have you been smoking croissants, or something?

~BakerMike
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#6]
An oring like that has the same impact as the D-fender extractor upgrade in my rifles.  I'd keep it myself.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
An oring like that has the same impact as the D-fender extractor upgrade in my rifles.  I'd keep it myself.

+1
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#8]
What the hell is that O-Ring supposed to do anyway?

I dont have one in my rifle. Am I missing something here?
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#10]
it increases the strength of the extractor. makes the extractor stay on the rim of the ejecting cartridge to help stop jams.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 4:43:20 AM EDT
[#11]
That o-ring comes on LMT bolts.  LMT supplies the military, they might know a thing or two about bolts.  BCM bolts come the same way.  These are the only two bolts I'd buy since they are the only two that are made and tested(MP/MPI) correctly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2008 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the pic here explaining how the o-ring fits...
I had a problem with double feeds on one of my rifles and I'm pretty sure this little product (with extra power spring) will take care of the issue –– I'll test it tomorrow.
NOTE: getting the extractor pin back in with that much extra tension took much more effort.

FYI: Pics of the D-Fender (similar product) and mini review are here:
http://www.fulton-armory.com/D-Fender.htm
Link Posted: 10/28/2008 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+1 .
I've got a Colt ,I wonder if I lost mine or it didn't come wih one ?
Link Posted: 10/28/2008 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That o-ring comes on LMT bolts.  LMT supplies the military, they might know a thing or two about bolts.  BCM bolts come the same way.  These are the only two bolts I'd buy since they are the only two that are made and tested(MP/MPI) correctly.

What is BCM?
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 8:38:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Bravo Company
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#16]
So is it time to upgrade my extractor in my Bushmaster?
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

All you need to do to upgrade it is buy one of these from Bravo Company.  Spring Upgrade Kit
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#18]
That little o-ring solved my extraction problems I was having with my CMMG. Best part about it, I was able to find a high heat one at Home Depot so my range trip wasn't ruined waiting for parts to come in the mail.
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 10:39:37 AM EDT
[#19]
My CMMG didn't come with one, but my BCM extractor upgrade kit did.

My BCM extractor upgrade walk-through.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That o-ring comes on LMT bolts.  LMT supplies the military, they might know a thing or two about bolts.  BCM bolts come the same way. These are the only two bolts I'd buy since they are the only two that are made and tested(MP/MPI) correctly.

Thanks for that, because I was about to ask if they came like that or if you had to put it on yourself as I had an Oring in the package with the BCM. I will assume that it comes with the O Ring already on it.  Besides, I'm not sure I can break the thing down without losing something important.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:19:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I install them on all my bolts.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I install them on all my bolts.

Likewise
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:50:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That little o-ring solved my extraction problems I was having with my CMMG. Best part about it, I was able to find a high heat one at Home Depot so my range trip wasn't ruined waiting for parts to come in the mail.

How were you able to determine it was for high heat ?

Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How were you able to determine it was for high heat ?

Ummm, the lable on the package that says "high heat".  

edit so I'm not just being a smart ass.

For those reading that think they now have to run out to put an o-ring on their extractor, the purpose of it is to correct a problem.  If your AR runs perfectly in its current configuration, and doesn't have any extraction problems, then it isn't really necessary.  Sure you can add it as insurance, but if you aren't having issues, you don't really NEED it right now, so relax.

Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

really?

I've never ever ever seen one....

Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I stick them in my bolts.   I've never heard of them causing a failure, only fixing failures.  So for a few cents, its a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

All you need to do to upgrade it is buy one of these from Bravo Company.  Spring Upgrade Kit

Precisely!!

I install this upgrade kit on every one of my ar's.

It will eliminate extraction problems in most cases.

One of the extreme cases was my Kel-Tec PLR-16. It holds a mil-spec ar bolt action.

Well after firing a couple hundred rounds. There was numerous failures to eject. Very disappointed with this pistol at the time!

And then the light switch turned on!

Dude the pressure of a short barrel and gasses is so great that the extractor can not keep up. There is simply not enough tension on the rim of the cartridge to extract it.

Hence the Extractor Upgrade O-Ring. Zero failures after the install.

Link Posted: 8/29/2009 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I stick them in my bolts.   I've never heard of them causing a failure, only fixing failures.  So for a few cents, its a no-brainer.

In a midlength or rifle-length gas system it can cause malfunctions. I put one in my CMMG midlength and with the o-ring in it would not eject the casing, the extractor wouldn't let go. I posted about it here, and others replied with similar experiences.

I would recommend against putting one on unless you are having malfunctions that indicate incorrect extractor tension.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 5:30:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My CMMG didn't come with one, but my BCM extractor upgrade kit did.

My BCM extractor upgrade walk-through.

Thanks for the walk thru. Something to save in my 'favorites'.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 6:29:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In a midlength or rifle-length gas system it can cause malfunctions. I put one in my CMMG midlength and with the o-ring in it would not eject the casing, the extractor wouldn't let go. I posted about it here, and others replied with similar experiences.

I would recommend against putting one on unless you are having malfunctions that indicate incorrect extractor tension.

Good post.

I am not so sure that it is the midlength or rifle-gas that has an issue with it, just that the carbine gas is so much more violent that there is enough additional vibration that it SHAKES the case loose.

Yeah, you can scream your lungs out at me, saying that more extractor tension will fix everything, but the bottom line is that you are just trying to rip the case out of the chamber before it wants to go.

So put the super duber spring in, and put an O-ring in, and make it to where you have to get out your channel locks to reinstall your extractor.  And I won't say a damn thing when you are on the range, and the RO say cease-fire, and you drop your magazine, and go to eject the loaded round, and it stays stuck on the front of the bolt.  The bewildered look on your face will be enough.

Or there is so much extractor tension that it will not snap over the rim of the casing.  Or the front of your extractor claw breaks off.  Or you come online asking why after so many hundred or thousand rounds there starts to be a shiney spot on the tail of your extractor.

just my thoughts on the matter.

Brett

I played around with the upgrade also. That  o-ring held the brass so tight it would not eject. I took the o-rings out and put them  in the parts bin. That said, I believe that if the brass is given enough time to spring back after firing, there should be no need for this modification. I run Rock River 9mm buffers in my carbines and I think it aids extraction by delaying the action. I am not the expert, but I have a lot of rounds downrange with the standard springs/etc with no problems.

Link Posted: 8/30/2009 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I've seen them cause malfunctions in 2 S&W M&P's.  Took out the o-rings and they ran great.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Garbage can.

+1
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I use the Crane O-rings I got from Bravo Co. and ADCO on all my ARs, rifle, midlength and carbine gas systems, it improves the extraction force, I use M16 auto BCG on all my ARs, I had no FTF problems of any kind in the several years I had used them.

On my carbine gas system only, I use the BCM extractor upgrade kit with the extra power chrome silicon material extractor spring, I'm running a M16 auto BCG and a H (heavy) buffer, YMMV.

If you want to improve the extraction try it if you're willing to experiment, if it doesn't improve it or made it worst then don't use it.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top