Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/21/2008 5:23:40 PM EDT
who sells the cheapest complete uppers, that arnt complete shit. preffer 16" chrome lined lightweight.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
who sells the cheapest complete uppers, that arnt complete shit. preffer 16" chrome lined lightweight.

The best bang for your buck is my humble opinion is going to be LMT, others speak high of Bravo Company.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Check the EE and be patient. Better to get a 'good' one from there rather than some cheap POS.

Good luck, let us know what you end up with.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Check the EE and be patient. Better to get a 'good' one from there rather than some cheap POS.

Yeah.

Bargain ARs are a crapshoot.

Take it from someone who's been there, just buy a quality gun and be done with it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah.

Bargain ARs are a crapshoot.

Take it from someone who's been there, just buy a quality gun and be done with it.

+1   In the long run, it is never worth the money to buy cheap.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#5]
You will get what you pay for. Bushmaster, Stag,and Armalite have treated me rite.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Delton makes a great rifle kit too and they aren't too expensive.  I'm sure if you went with something like that it wouldn't be too expensive either and would work just as well as some others.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#7]
J & T makes good stuff, reasonably priced, and excellent to deal with.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#8]
type in Sherluk Marketing, check them out. i bought one of theirs, it's top notch. their "complete" upper comes with EVERYTHING except the stripped lower. you can sell the stock and trigger parts to recoup some of your money. they are fantastic people.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#9]
check out Apex in the industry forum.  He has some nice CMMG uppers for a good price.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a Stag upper here.

1000 rds. through it with no problems.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#11]
DEL-TON...nuff said. Great product for the right price.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Check out Blackthorne products (www.blackthorneproducts.com)  The sell complete uppers (actually kits)  for 399.00 plus about $20.00 for shipping.  They come with the BCG, lower parts kit, 6 position stock kit.  
   Now before everyone starts bashing them, keep in mind that I have built and used at least 15 of their kits with no drama whatsoever.  I did have some little things to work out like:
1.  Some of the mag releases had some extra flashing that I had to buff down so it would go into the receiver smoothly (stag and spikes lowers, which I believe are the same manufacturer).  

2.  I had a FSP that was too low and the detent was a bit tight in the assembly, so I removed it and using a tiny file, removed a tad of flashing.

3.  The bore isn't chromed, but I clean my weapons after use, so it don't matter, and I don't have to deal with the drama of shooting out the chrome when I put 1200 rds through the barrel in one day on the range.

4.  One of the lower kits was missing the pin for the bolt catch, kinda ruined my night the day before I had to have 12 weapons on the range.

Other than above, they have all been drama free and shoot straight as hell.  All of mine are m4 profile barrels (16") and was able to zero in only a handfull of rounds, with whatever optic/sights I was using.

If you are on a budget and have plans on shooting the hell out of it, I'd recommend it.

My wallhanger is a Noveske/Larue combo with all the trimmings, I have about 4k in it and it don't shoot no better than one of my $540.00 kit guns.

Just my experience.

One more thing on Chrome lined bore, my experience (not opinion) is that the chrome will separate and leave you with an overbore (once all the chrome is shot out).  This is caused by a sustained rate of fire and allowing the barrel to get too hot.  Ask some of our troops that got in situations that didn't allow time to cool off, it ain't good.
  If you go to the range and slow fire, then what the heck, go for it, you can even clean it when you feel like it.  Blackthorne charges an extra $50.00 for chrome lined and it takes a few weeks acording to their site.  Always make sure to buy one with a chrome chamber though, which I doubt anyone makes one that ain't.

Right now Blackthorne is short on the BCG's (DPMS isn't filling their orders as fast as the would like to)  The last 3 kits I ordered I accepted without the BCG's and in a few weeks they showed up, postage paid.  (I had extra's laying around so it weren't no big deal)  

I always like to say "Nobody is entitled to an opinion usnless they know what the hell they are talking about"  
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#13]
uh oh. blackthorn & sherluck groupies  
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok Conman, enlighten me.  Oh yeah there is an "e" in Blackthorne.

MY EXPERIENCE has been all good with them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#15]
What is the BCG?
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Oops, sorry bout that.  Bolt Carrier Group.  I never called that before either, but here on the site it's quite popular.  I took me a day or so to figure it out myself.  Glad you were man enough to ask up front, I didn't have the nads to embarrass myself like that initially.  Now I don't care.  LOL
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#17]

My wallhanger is a Noveske/Larue combo with all the trimmings, I have about 4k in it and it don't shoot no better than one of my $540.00 kit guns.

Pic's?

I wonder how well you shot to begin with
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 8:21:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Appreciate the " compliment " .  
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, pretty darn good actually.  Good ole Marine Corps training I guess.  Of course being from Ky originally, I had to learn all about what the funny knob  on the rear sight in boot camp.   We were the first platoon/series to get the A2 back in 85 and we had an extended time on the range.  Folks from Colt, Marine Corps rifle team etc. where there, so we got some really good instruction.  Funny thing was that when I got to my first unit, I was issued and A1 and couldn't make heads or tails of the rear sight.  Fortunately, I got issued a brand spankin new a2 about a month before going to the range again.  7 award expert, Scout Sniper school grad as well.  Yeah, I can shoot a little bit.  In fact I shoot quite a bit, more than most folks I'd say.  My Noveske/Larue combo came by way of a Level 2 operator from Bragg, one of his personal toys he built last year.  DNC compensater/break is really the nicest thing about that piece.  No muzzle climb, no reccovery time between shots, even in the offhand.  I added a hydraulic buffer and Leoupold CQ/T scope, and is without a doubt the nicest ar type weapon I've ever had.  It's just that it's so damn sexy, I hate to bang it around in CQB training.   It's alomst boring to shoot.  Keyhole shots at 100m (from the sitting position, loose sling) using M855 through a 1/8 16" barrel ain't to bad for an AR type weapon.   On a forward advance on a stationary set of targets it does very well also.  That DNC really make a difference with such a heavy load and the CQT has the best eye relief/aquistion I have ever found in an optic.  In fact, I don't use any other type anymore.  I also run the FAB industries foregrip with a green laser (hey, it looks cool) it has a great feel to and is a rock solid mount on the Larue 13.2 set up.

Grouping grows to about 3.5 inches at 500m (prone) but I'm ok with that.

But this is about a good low cost upper.  Not this high priced setup.

If you ever get down to SC, look me up and I'll let you shoot one of my Blackthorne kits,  I do run the DNC's on all of them though, that adds about 100.00 to weapon.

Maybe others have had bad luck with Blackthorne, but personally, I've been very satisfied.

On the Pic, I don't have a million digital images of my stuff, but perhaps in the next day or so I will take the time to do so.

I do all the props/weapons on the tv show "army wives" and am getting ready to start a movie here in Charleston.  It's an SF movie and we are just getting all the kit together for an ODA team.  So time is short these days.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#20]
3. The bore isn't chromed, but I clean my weapons after use, so it don't matter, and I don't have to deal with the drama of shooting out the chrome when I put 1200 rds through the barrel in one day on the range.

lol wut?
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Delton makes a great rifle kit too and they aren't too expensive.  I'm sure if you went with something like that it wouldn't be too expensive either and would work just as well as some others.

What he said.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 1:45:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I never managed to peel the crome from the bores of my (issue) M16A1 or either of my M16A2's and lastly my M-240. I did light cigarettes off the barrels though Just my experience, your actual milage may vary.
P.S. the glow of the barrel after going cyclic is an awsome sight under N.V.G.'s
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 2:05:10 AM EDT
[#23]
I've had good luck with my M&A lightweight parts kit, 1200 rounds so far and no issues. About 450$ shipped with bolt and carrier.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 3:47:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
3. The bore isn't chromed, but I clean my weapons after use, so it don't matter, and I don't have to deal with the drama of shooting out the chrome when I put 1200 rds through the barrel in one day on the range.

lol wut?

He did say Blackthorne....
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 4:06:03 AM EDT
[#25]
This thread is gonna be good.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 4:19:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Legal Transfers Stag Model 2 $489 shipped.  Has a rear sight, has a BCG, install and go.  I'm about to order my 3rd from Pete.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 5:17:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm with everyone else...check the Equipment Exchange.  In my opinion, the upper is definitely NOT where to save the cash.  I like my Bushy's and my M&P.  So far I like my Rock River too.  Others say CMMG makes good stuff but I can't speak from personal expirence.

Trust me you'll thank your self later when your not digging cases out of your chamber.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#28]
I bought a stag 2h upper for $489..removable Carry handle model for $10 more..
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 9:05:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Please, for the love of GOD, please do NOT listen to the Blackthorne pimps, Blackthorne is such a peice of junk, they shouldn't even be listed in "tiers".

Plus, they aren't that much cheaper than the cheapest of the "decent" AR manufacturers, DPMS.

However, even then, DPMS isn't that much cheaper than Stag/CMMG, who are good manufacturers.  Complete uppers, brand new, from Stag/CMMG run in the low $500 range.

PS:  Blackthorne's paid s should be locked, just my opinion.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Surplus is the cheapest I have found. if 20" is ok

270.00 each once I put the Bravo M16 carrier and bolt in it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Armalite has a complete upper, including chrome lined barrel, bolt, carrier and charging handle for $500.  That's how I went with my 20" A2.  It was the best deal I could find and Armalite has a great reputation.  FWIW I'm satisfied with my set up.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top