BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/2/2008 3:59:47 PM EDT
it will cause major leakage in your expansion chamber, WTF. I just looked at mine while cleaning my coltbolt and they were all aligned,
they were also loose fitting on the bolt which I havent noticed before.
I am pretty sure they are supposed to be loose but what about alignment?
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Gas ring alignment is a myth.  The rifle will function with only one gas ring.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Most Carbines will do it with no gas rings
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#3]
+1

You could probably wrap a dead earthworm around the bolt groove, and it would still work....  Well, maybe not.

But no, it doesn't matter if the grooves align.  It'll work with one gas ring as Bradd mentioned.

They're not "loose" per se.  They squeeze down when inserted into the BCG, and the gap closes up for the most part.  That's how it's designed to operate.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
it will cause major leakage in your expansion chamber, WTF. I just looked at mine while cleaning my coltbolt and they were all aligned,
they were also loose fitting on the bolt which I havent noticed before.
I am pretty sure they are supposed to be loose but what about alignment?
It might cause the rifle to have a short recoil or something like that can't remember. Just make sure when you reassemble the bolt they are not aligned. Check the manual it mentions something on this. The gas-rings are suppose to be loose. They move around by the gas pressure when fired. Where is Quib when you need him.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most Carbines will do it with no gas rings

so basically on my 6920 its a non issue?
what about the looseness of the rings, normal?
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
+1

You could probably wrap a dead earthworm around the bolt groove, and it would still work....  Well, maybe not.

But no, it doesn't matter if the grooves align.  It'll work with one gas ring as Bradd mentioned.

They're not "loose" per se.  They squeeze down when inserted into the BCG, and the gap closes up for the most part.  That's how it's designed to operate.

thanks ill send range report.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1

thanks ill send range report.

No dont!
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
+1

Not to mention the bolt rotates as it moves in and out of the carrier. There is no way the rings are going to stay in the same spot in relation to each other. If you spaced the gaps evenly before shooting(or even hand cycling) they will not be that way when you pull the bolt out. Well, maybe by chance.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#9]
The universe will implode?
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 4:23:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't bother with it anymore and I can't tell the difference.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#12]
nothing..  I took all off but one and tried it just to see, nit worked fine.  even with wolf. I did it on a 6920   and a MT6700
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The manuals state to ensure the gas rings are not aligned during assembly. I do this out of habit.

I do this too, even though they are never in the same position when you pull the bolt out the next time. I always put the gaps 180 degrees from each other.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The three ring design is for redundancy and sealing, no different than a combustion engine piston. It might work fine with one ring, but naturally three is better than one for reliability.

i know, i just wanted to see for myself.  Everything you read says to do it or your gun will have no chance of working, blow up, short stroke etc.   I like to know myself, know what I mean?
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 6:07:53 PM EDT
[#16]
You need to get one of those fancy McFarland one-piece gas rings.  

-Frank
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't even ask what happens if this coincides with planetary alignment.................
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Colt armorer class said:

1) You do not have to stagger the ring gaps.

2) If it makes you feel better to stagger the ring gaps, just do it.

This is one of those issues that people will fight all day long. Do what floats your boat. Me, I don't line up the gaps, but I do check that the rings are not worn
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I know it's a myth...but at CATM before I deployed we were told if they aligned the gas seal became a gas port, and our M-16 would possibly malfunction. Just the oh so fun military(well AF) spreading nasty rumors.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It might cause the rifle to have a short recoil or something like that can't remember.

If you can't remember then don't freakin' reply.  Especially since it's pure bullcrap that they have to be aligned for the rifle to work even though the manuals say to ensure they are not aligned.  Pure stupidity to be spreading false information on a "can't remember".  It will work with only one ring just fine but has three for redundancy.  If it can function on one by itself how the hell is the rifle going to short stroke with three just because they are aligned?

This board is getting polluted with idiots spewing bad information like vomit.  I really feel for the new guys that are really looking to learn something and come across the plethora of bullshit that has become rampant here.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Monkey302

I know it's a myth...but at CATM before I deployed we were told if they aligned the gas seal became a gas port, and our M-16 would possibly malfunction. Just the oh so fun military(well AF) spreading nasty rumors.

There wrong, and perpetuating a myth. Gas rings work .like gas rings. When the bolt is assembled inside the Carrier, the rings squeeze closed, just like on a car piston. no leakage...

No need to align them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:49:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Your rifle will catch fire.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#24]
The rifle will cycle just fine with the rings aligned.

Your long range accuracy will go to hell though.  The CWO4 that ran range at Puuloa in Ewa Beach and the coaching school told us that aligned rings were bad for accuracy.  He told us it caused very small inconsistencies in the way the bolt returned into battery which in turn throws off your accurracy.  At close ranges below 200 yards you will not be able to tell.  As the distance increases so does the effect.  Your groups will scatter with no apparent pattern.

I saw it happen several times as a rifle coach in the Marines and it happened to me one qual day on the 500 yard line.  The 1st 6 rounds went into the black just fine the last 4 went all over the damn place.  

I would speculate that in most civy rifle that have a very low round count and nice new rings would not be affected nearly as much as the old worn out M-16A2s we had.  As the rings wear they would have a lot less tension which makes the gap larger.  New rings are going to have more tension and close up the gap a lot more when you put the bolt into the carrier.

YMMV and I fully expect some mall ninja peckerwood to flame away saying I'm full of it and that the PMI's and the CWO that trained me are full of crap.  Yeahhh Right.  Just remember they've only seen hundreds of thousands and in the CWO's case probably millions of rounds go down range.  I've seen and shot a few rounds too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Regarding the above.
Would the single piece ring solve the loss of accuracy problem or is the chance of the three rings aligning perfectly not so great as to worry.
sw1217
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Your long range accuracy will go to hell though.  The CWO4 that ran range at Puuloa in Ewa Beach and the coaching school told us that aligned rings were bad for accuracy.  He told us it caused very small inconsistencies in the way the bolt returned into battery which in turn throws off your accurracy.  At close ranges below 200 yards you will not be able to tell.  As the distance increases so does the effect.  Your groups will scatter with no apparent pattern.

I saw it happen several times as a rifle coach in the Marines and it happened to me one qual day on the 500 yard line.  The 1st 6 rounds went into the black just fine the last 4 went all over the damn place.  

I would speculate that in most civy rifle that have a very low round count and nice new rings would not be affected nearly as much as the old worn out M-16A2s we had.  As the rings wear they would have a lot less tension which makes the gap larger.  New rings are going to have more tension and close up the gap a lot more when you put the bolt into the carrier.

YMMV and I fully expect some mall ninja peckerwood to flame away saying I'm full of it and that the PMI's and the CWO that trained me are full of crap.  Yeahhh Right.  Just remember they've only seen hundreds of thousands and in the CWO's case probably millions of rounds go down range.  I've seen and shot a few rounds too.

How would one go about proving it was the gas rings that caused the accuracy loss?
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 11:43:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Accuracy loss?

WTF?

Back when the rifle was NEW and the TM was being written, the powder used was a single-base extruded.  Port pressure was about 12,000 PSI.  The switch to spherical Olin propellent somewhat later increased port pressure to about 15,000 PSI.  The manual was now GOSPEL.

Now with the M4, port pressure is around 20,000 PSI.  And the manual?  STILL GOSPEL.

Go back to the M16, find some old ammunition that was made with the old IMR powder and get it dirty.  Align the rings and you MIGHT have a few failures out of 1000 rounds.

But using M855 in an M4?  It ain't under-gassed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 2:51:16 AM EDT
[#28]
So if my rings go to sh---- and have to be removed the gun if carm4 will still shoot just fine This is for jbow. And if so why do we need them
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 2:52:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 3:02:41 AM EDT
[#30]
New guy here and would like my to know if the gun will work with out gass rings
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 4:11:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It might cause the rifle to have a short recoil or something like that can't remember.

If you can't remember then don't freakin' reply.  Especially since it's pure bullcrap that they have to be aligned for the rifle to work even though the manuals say to ensure they are not aligned.  Pure stupidity to be spreading false information on a "can't remember".  It will work with only one ring just fine but has three for redundancy.  If it can function on one by itself how the hell is the rifle going to short stroke with three just because they are aligned?

This board is getting polluted with idiots spewing bad information like vomit.  I really feel for the new guys that are really looking to learn something and come across the plethora of bullshit that has become rampant here.
For your information I just looked it up its in the manual, plus there is a manual available at the bottom of the forum. Read it you might learn something. I have Quib to thanks for showing that I need to refresh myself.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 4:18:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey now!

There isn’t room for the two of us on this soap box!  
Come on Quib. Why won't you show the manual? because it is there. You know this. Don't you follow what you preach?
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 4:30:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 4:32:02 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Accuracy loss?

WTF?

Back when the rifle was NEW and the TM was being written, the powder used was a single-base extruded.  Port pressure was about 12,000 PSI.  The switch to spherical Olin propellent somewhat later increased port pressure to about 15,000 PSI.  The manual was now GOSPEL.

Now with the M4, port pressure is around 20,000 PSI.  And the manual?  STILL GOSPEL.

Go back to the M16, find some old ammunition that was made with the old IMR powder and get it dirty.  Align the rings and you MIGHT have a few failures out of 1000 rounds.

But using M855 in an M4?  It ain't under-gassed.
Yeah but there are a bunch of G.I joes here who are perfect and know everything who are obsessed they know everything even though they know they need to make sure that the gas rings are not aligned which can cause the rifle to have a short recoil even though it is in the manual. When I do not know something I ask and when I do not remember something I am honest in saying so.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 4:32:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Someone should start a "MythBusters" thread.

....but then "the chart" may get beat to hell.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 4:37:47 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
it's a complete myth. makes no difference at all.

it took me YEARS to get over that as it was constantly drilled into my head on a daily basis in the army.

I am still a "recovering" soldier for the BS that the military teaches about these guns. seems like everyday i find something else "busted" they used to teach as gospel.
Then why teach it? It was taught to me at the police academy and it was taught to me at F.L.E.T.C by my agency.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 4:39:53 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Someone should start a "MythBusters" thread.

....but then "the chart" may get beat to hell.
That is not a bad idea and true it might go like every thread in this place. LOL
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 4:51:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 4:57:13 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it took me YEARS to get over that as it was constantly drilled into my head on a daily basis in the army.

I am still a "recovering" soldier for the BS that the military teaches about these guns. seems like everyday i find something else "busted" they used to teach as gospel.
Then why teach it? It was thought to me at the police academy and it was thought to me at F.L.E.T.C. by my agency.

becuase it's been "taught " that way for years. The .mil instructors were taught by the last guy that taught them wrong and by the time it gets down to the platoon level the NON ARMORER instructors spew all the garbage they were given as gospel.

last year i had 2<yes 2> rings break during a course of fire. i did not have a spare bolt with me. i found it during a break when i was giving the gun a quick clean and pulled out the peices of the broken rings. ran the rest of the course just fine on one ring until i got home to replace them. Obviously NOT ideal but it was more than sufficient to function the gun.

my understanding is the rings not only are a gas seal but also help stabilise the bolt in it's rearward movement. 3 rings give more surface area for stability in that regard but a seal is a seal. if it's intact it doesn't matter if you have 12 rings or 1.  keep in mind these are military rifles, if you have one ring and it fails you may or may not have a function gun. if you have 3 rings and 2 fail, your still in the fight.

as for the accuracy issue, i honestly have no idea, but i can see how the guys trying to sqeeze every mincron out of a shot could be affected by eneven tension on the rings.
Fair enough. Makes sense. It sounds you know what you are talking about. Take care, but I will still be making sure they are not aligned that is what I was "taught"
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 6:09:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 6:13:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 6:26:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 6:54:41 AM EDT
[#43]
The_Beer_Slayer

becuase it's been "taught " that way for years. The .mil instructors were taught by the last guy that taught them wrong and by the time it gets down to the platoon level the NON ARMORER instructors spew all the garbage they were given as gospel.

And that, in a nut shell, is why. Some of the stupidest Sh*% I have ever heard, came form the .Mil

And I'll tell you my dirty little secret... back around 2002, I was running a Qual range and one of the shooters was having  malfuctions, Like the good NCO that I Am, I had him pull his bolt out and I noticed the Gas rings were aligned. I told him to stagger them, lube the bolt and try again...Violla, his problem was solved.

SO I walk away feeling like the Subject matter Expert I thougth I was.. In retrospect, those gas rings did diddly... It was the lack of lube and the shiity issued magazines that was the problem.. Now because I was indoctrinated and followed the TM, that was the best info I had at that time. I now know better. It's called evolution.... some fight it, others embrace it. You have to decide which side your on....

and as to the accurracy falling off when the rings align, I think that is a Total BS myth.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:06:37 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then why teach it? It was thought to me at the police academy and it was thought to me at F.L.E.T.C. by my agency.

last year i had 2<yes 2> rings break during a course of fire. i did not have a spare bolt with me. i found it during a break when i was giving the gun a quick clean and pulled out the peices of the broken rings. ran the rest of the course just fine on one ring until i got home to replace them. Obviously NOT ideal but it was more than sufficient to function the gun.

my understanding is the rings not only are a gas seal but also help stabilise the bolt in it's rearward movement. 3 rings give more surface area for stability in that regard but a seal is a seal. if it's intact it doesn't matter if you have 12 rings or 1.  keep in mind these are military rifles, if you have one ring and it fails you may or may not have a function gun. if you have 3 rings and 2 fail, your still in the fight.

as for the accuracy issue, i honestly have no idea, but i can see how the guys trying to sqeeze every mincron out of a shot could be affected by eneven tension on the rings.
Fair enough. Makes sense. It sounds you know what you are talking about. Take care, but I will still be making sure they are not aligned that is what I was "taught"

keep in mind EVERY time that bolt cycles those rings turn in the groove. odds are good at some point during a session you will ALWAYS end up with them aligned for atleast one shot . thus it really makes no difference at all. the second shot would have them out of alignment.
Guess it won't matter in burst or full auto if they are aligned or not. Good point.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:08:52 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Come on Quib. Why won't you show the manual? because it is there. You know this. Don't you follow what you preach?

I didn't feel the need to post a manual excerpt. We all know what the manual states. As far as practicing what I preach? My personal feelings on gas ring alignment are posted on page one.
You did a great job in defending them to. LOL
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:20:52 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I will flame away. I went through Range Coach School and PMI school in Hawaii also
and did it for quite a while. I have NEVER seen this as an issue. Also, I am holding my
books and my notes from the school in my hand right now and there is no mention of
any of that in them either. I am not saying that you were not told that, but that does
not make it true.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#47]
I've been out of shooting for quite a while and didn't go through Basic but I remember buying my first AR in 1991 and the Nam era vet that owned the gun store I bought from made it a point to tell me to make sure to not have the rings aligned when it went back together. I thought it was odd then but did it because he was an "expert" and I was a dumb kid just wanting to go shoot. I am very happy that he took the time to show me how to disassemble (and reassemble) the AR though.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 8:03:49 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I've been out of shooting for quite a while and didn't go through Basic but I remember buying my first AR in 1991 and the Nam era vet that owned the gun store I bought from made it a point to tell me to make sure to not have the rings aligned when it went back together. I thought it was odd then but did it because he was an "expert" and I was a dumb kid just wanting to go shoot. I am very happy that he took the time to show me how to disassemble (and reassemble) the AR though.
The good old boys. I really respect those old vets. There is one in charge at the range I shoot on Wednesdays. He knew my grandfather and he knows my line of work and he always tells me "Your Andres nephew right ?", " Why in such a rush? ", "Use your sling", "Clear front sight picture" etc. I just shut up, listen and shoot.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Regarding the above.
Would the single piece ring solve the loss of accuracy problem or is the chance of the three rings aligning perfectly not so great as to worry.
sw1217

there is a single peice ring out there. from what i have seen and heard they really don't make much difference either way.

This is what I heard in regards to accuracy. Someone here posted that they were a high power match 1000 yard shooter and noticed his group would open up if the rings became aligned. Makes some sense that match shooting at very long ranges requires absolute constancy. So a few FPS difference at such a long range might make a difference. Whether seepage in the gas rings will cause that I don't know.

Then another poster below him mentioned something about the superstitious nature of match shooters. Well, that makes more sense. If you are getting ready to take a shot and just realized you didn't do something in your routine, well you just took your mind off the task at hand.

Who knows

Link Posted: 9/3/2008 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#50]
nevermind
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top