Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2008 3:14:10 PM EDT
I've looked it up and I can't really tell which is better.  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I would also like to know.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The bottom line is the mid-length fixes many of the issues caused by the shorter carbine gas system.

If you are going with a 16" barrel I highly recommend a mid-length.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]
"Better" is probably not what you're looking for.  They have strengths and weaknesses.

The carbine-length gas system is shorter, gets higher pressure gas from the gas port and the impulse is sooner in the pressure curve, and thus pushes the bolt carrier back faster and more abruptly.  It works well, and is well suited for short barrels.

The mid-length system is longer, so it gets gas that's higher pressure than in a rifle-length system, but lower than a carbine system.  This gas is also produced midway between carbine and rifle points in the pressure curve so it's less harsh than a carbine but harsher than a rifle.  The gas pushes the carrier back less quickly and less abruptly, so it's easier on your parts (and shoulder to some degree).  it works well and is well suited for the 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I am convinced that the midlength is a better system, but the carbine has been around a long time and can be very reliable.

i have two middy's and an 18" rifle ...no carbines
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The bottom line is the mid-length fixes many of the issues caused by the shorter carbine gas system.

+1 carbine gas system on a 16" is pointless. Mid-length is superior and looks better to boot.

If the bbl is less than 16" then carbine is cool.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.  I've got 2 5.56's in CAR lenght and a 6.8 on order with the same setup, but I think I'll see about getting the 6.8 in a mid-length, since it's gonna take about 12 weeks anyway.  I'm getting ready to build a 5.56 from the ground up and was looking at another CAR length, but not now.  Thanks for talking some sense into me.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 carbine gas system on a 16" is pointless. Mid-length is superior and looks better to boot.

However, if you have a 14.5/14.7" barrel, you'll do just fine with a middy gas system too.  I had Steve at Adco re-profile my 16" HBAR to a lightweight and shortened to 14.7" w/pinned A2 FH and it runs like a top.
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 5:19:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

However, if you have a 14.5/14.7" barrel, you'll do just fine with a middy gas system too.  I had Steve at Adco re-profile my 16" HBAR to a lightweight and shortened to 14.7" w/pinned A2 FH and it runs like a top.
Doesn't that look like a bizarre dissipator?  Post pics, COSteve!
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 5:48:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a RRA CAR4 (hbar) and a STAG M4 profile barrel.  I liked them both and they did the job without complaint.

I recently sold my CAR4 upper and replaced it with a 16" mid length.  I have read enough about them to know that is what I want.  I almost went with the middy on the STAG, but wanted the lighter M4 barrel.

I haven't fired the middy yet, but I'm sure I won't be dissapointed.  For looks, I think I have the best of both worlds with those two rifles, but I do like the look of the midlength a little more.
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not at all.

And at 7.65lbs as shown (w/o mag) it is very light and nimble.
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not at all.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/100_0103.jpg

Indeed, not odd looking at all.  I had expected the gas tube length difference to put the FSB farther forward.  That's what I get for imagining without having real numbers handy...  Thanks for the picture.
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 16" carbine, a 16" middy, and a 14.5" middy. I would not buy anther carbine unless it was a 10.3" or an 11.5"

In a 14.5-16" barrel the middy has the following advantages:

Smoother bolt stroke
Slightly softer recoil
Less wear and tear
Longer sight radius
More rail space if you install a rail system
Better balance
Better looks, IMO
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Would it be possible to have the barrel reconfigured from a CAR-length gas system to a mid-length system?  If so, what's the normal cost?
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love the look of a 14.5"/7" on a middy. I don't like a 16"bbl on a carbine gas system... too much bbl sticking out...
Not at all.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/100_0103.jpg

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top