Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2008 1:17:24 AM EDT
anyone know where I can get my hands on a slick side (no FA or deflector) flattop upper receiver, I know dpms makes one but it is re-enforced and i am not sure how much weight it adds (I am building a lightweight).  

the only other option i can think of is using a RRA 9mm upper and swapping for a normal port door but i am not sure if their 9mms have the opening for a gas tube like colt does, any of you have one?

-Mike
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:26:31 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
anyone know where I can get my hands on a slick side (no FA or deflector) flattop upper receiver, I know dpms makes one but it is re-enforced and i am not sure how much weight it adds (I am building a lightweight).  

the only other option i can think of is using a RRA 9mm upper and swapping for a normal port door but i am not sure if their 9mms have the opening for a gas tube like colt does, any of you have one?

-Mike

The RRA 9mm doesnt have a hole for a gast tube and its mising some of the machining needed.

I asked this same very question a few months back.

Here is where I was told to go.
Les baer

I never did find what I was lookingfor, my plan was to build an 4LB rifle and never did it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:32:41 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the quick reply did you get a good look at the dpms upper?  If i can get to 5lbs I will be happy, going to use a cavarms lower and a 14.5" cmmg LW barrel

Ideally I am looking for one similar to this... is DPMS the only one making a product like this?

-Mike
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:14:55 AM EDT
[#3]
There is no machining required to a RRA 9mm upper other than the gas tobe hole. The cam pin area is machined already so it will work with an AR15 bolt carrier assembly. I use these upper receiver exclusively for my builds and have a lot of experience with them.

The RRA UR does have the RRA logo etched into the top. If you want a virgin marked UR, Garrison Manufacturing sells the same UR without any markings.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:23:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Check out Fulton Armory

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:10:19 AM EDT
[#5]
If you pursue the 9mm upper option, ADCO will drill the gas tube hole for ~$30.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

good call, I will give adco a call today

-Mike
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

good call, I will give adco a call today

-Mike

Good choice. I have the DPMS you listed above and it is HEAVY. Plus it's thicker and wider than a regular upper.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Well speak of the devil...

This showed up on my doorstep today (from M1S):

Cam pin area milled out:

And that's where it'll get drilled after it ships out to ADCO in the morning:
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/9mm_upper_01.jpg
i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/9mm_upper_04.jpg
Cam pin area milled out:
i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/9mm_upper_02.jpg
i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/9mm_upper_03b.jpg

wait where did you get that M1s? is that a member here or a vendor I am not recognizing.  I guess my question is who made that upper

-Mike
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Be advised, ADCO does OUTSTANDING work but I've heard they don't cut the X out around the gas tube hole or the large hole inside the receiver in front of the carrier key. It has been discussed in a post that those are for the high pressure gas that blows forward as the carrier moves rearward.  

PursuitSS
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Be advised, ADCO does OUTSTANDING work but I've heard they don't cut the X out around the gas tube hole or the large hole inside the receiver in front of the carrier key. It has been discussed in a post that those are for the high pressure gas that blows forward as the carrier moves rearward.  

PursuitSS

noted thanks, but could you educate me a little bit...

is this mainly an issue for gas relief in the case of a hot load or is there more to it than that?  how will this effect normal operation?  this rifle is by no means my go to rifle, this one is just a LW range toy but that doesn't mean i dont want it to run.

-Mike
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/9mm_upper_01.jpg
i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/9mm_upper_04.jpg
Cam pin area milled out:
i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/9mm_upper_02.jpg
i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/9mm_upper_03b.jpg

wait where did you get that M1s? is that a member here or a vendor I am not recognizing.  I guess my question is who made that upper

-Mike
Dunno who makes their stuff (in house maybe?), but the company is Model 1 Sales
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

-Mike

M1S is Model 1 Sales. I've been advised (here) that their 9mm uppers are Stag/CMT, but it's hard to say - it looks like an OK upper.

Quoted:

PursuitSS

What's the upshot of that? Gas Buster time?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:59:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an upper that was used for a L&W piston conversion so it has the counter sunk bushing thats where the gas tube hole was once creating the same effect of just a hole..works fine and besides that area of an AR eventualy gets filled in with carbon anyway.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Found this:

colemantyler.com/proddetail.php?prod=AR15A3URCSD

thanks, I came across this a couple days ago but it looks like another re-enforced receiver that really wont work for my application

-Mike
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#17]
delayed double tap
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Mike

M1S is Model 1 Sales. I've been advised (here) that their 9mm uppers are Stag/CMT, but it's hard to say - it looks like an OK upper.

Quoted:

PursuitSS

Anything more on this?  I asked about slick-side railed uppers a couple years ago and got alot of "Why would you want to do that?"  I'd go with an M1S or RRA drilled by Adco, but I'd like to hear more about the gas tube hole...

What's the upshot of that? Gas Buster time?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top