BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/20/2008 3:39:35 PM EDT
Im just wondering why you rarely see dissipator carbines? I really like the idea, and will be building one for my all around AR. Can you guys who have them show pics to spread the love?
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 4:00:57 PM EDT
[#1]
There are lots, although most might not be BM's version.

I really like mine. Both the "traditional" and the "improvised"

Do a search.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I built one, thinking I'll build another real soon. My first was a cut down post ban 20" HBAR, my next will be a cut down 20" pencil barrel.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#3]
They don't have the M203 cutout... not TactiCool enuf
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I will only build these from now on.  This is an Adco UTE Cruiser on an LMT SOPMOD lower.  Pretty dollied-up.

Link Posted: 5/20/2008 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Bushmaster made the bbls, I understand fewer people bought them than said they were interested in them.

IMO, a dissy is a waist. The main advantage is to move the sights farther apart, and most folks go to optics, which makes this one advantage moot.
The downside of the dissy setup, is the extra weight on the end of the bbl.

Go middy and you get the sights moved out, withouth the extra gasblock.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bushmaster made the bbls, I understand fewer people bought them than said they were interested in them.

IMO, a dissy is a waist. The main advantage is to move the sights farther apart, and most folks go to optics, which makes this one advantage moot.

I like the look, and the longer handguard offered by the dissy. What exactly is the mid length? I thought it was just a gas system.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#7]
A dissy with a FF or rail handguard looks great. With standard handguard they look dorky.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#8]

It started as an SR-15...
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one. It's a Bushmaster heavy barrel. No flash hider so it's as short as that 16" barrel will get. A2 handle. No optics. Shorty stock. Hogue 2-piece free float. Single stage match trigger.

Why not? I think the post about optics was right. Many people today eschew iron sights for the opticals. This is understandable for older guys (like me) whose vision isn't what it used to be 20-30 years ago. I thiink more people should "get back to basics" and shoot irons.

I guess the Dissies are the carbines for the "purist" rifleman, just as a match Service Rifle is the AR for the "purist" rifleman.

(Don't get me wrong, I have ARs with all kinds of optics. It's just that the Dissy and the Service Rifle are "niche" guns and don't have the "broad appeal" of the Flat top M4s...

Link Posted: 5/20/2008 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We use optics as an advantage.  We rely on our irons.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I think they look goofy.

That said, I like em.  Short bbl of a Carbine, long sight radius of a rifle.

(clic-pic)
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I always thought a "dissipator" carbine with an A1 upper and 6 position stock would make a good truck/trunk gun.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Beater9C1, lol.

I have a 9C1 behind my house with a dead 4L60E.  Its dark blue, has a light blue hood, no grille, a black door, and cracked windshield.  Had some good times in that car.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#14]
HEY! Hows about a tacked dissy pic thread????
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 10:14:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
A dissy with a FF or rail handguard looks great. With standard handguard they look dorky.

Here is my dorky Dissy.  Nice handling and shoots great!
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I absolutely love mine. It's just a cut down Colt A2, but handles perfectly and is very accurate. Might put another one together that isn't so KISS, I really like the way WorstCaseScenario's gun looks with the PRI tube. An ACOG might be in order though.

Only thing different from the pic is a Colt A1 stock.

Link Posted: 5/21/2008 1:42:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I would rather have a Middy with a 12" freefloat. I just dont like the way they look, or the dual gas block thingie.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 3:02:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I absolutely love mine. It's just a cut down Colt A2, but handles perfectly and is very accurate. Might put another one together that isn't so KISS, I really like the way WorstCaseScenario's gun looks with the PRI tube. An ACOG might be in order though.

photos.templarfirearms.com/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG_6880.JPG

photos.templarfirearms.com/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG_6883.JPG

Friend of mine had one similar to yours.  It had significant short-stroking problems.

Link Posted: 5/21/2008 3:08:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like the look, and the longer handguard offered by the dissy. What exactly is the mid length? I thought it was just a gas system.

It is.  The "dissipator" style has little to do with the gas system.  The only feature is a 16" barrel with the front sight mounted at rifle length.

The dissipator can then have any of the normal gas systems: Carbine like an M4, rifle using the existing front sight block, or midlength which is somewhere between the two.

Rifle system can be problematic because there may not be enough barrel between the gas block and the muzzle to provide enough pressure to run the rifle before th ebullet exits the muzzle.

Carbine system works well, but the gas impulse is sometimes very sharp and quick, leading to sharper recoil and mechanical wear.

The midlength system was developed to find a middle ground between reliability and smoother, softer operation.

The Bushmaster Dissipator (the original, I think) uses a carbine length gas system under the handguards.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 5:21:25 AM EDT
[#20]
When you cut down a 20" A2 bbl what does that do to your dwell time?  having less bbl after the gas port I mean?

No problems, those who own them?

Thanks, Matt
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 5:42:24 AM EDT
[#21]
My first build was a KISS Dissy for My Son on His 21st BD.

It is the best balanced & easiest handling AR, IMHO.

(I built it for ease of handling in & out of a vehicle while blastin' varmints)

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 5:48:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
When you cut down a 20" A2 bbl what does that do to your dwell time?  having less bbl after the gas port I mean? Shortened barrel = shortened dwell time

Thanks, Matt

I did a batch of rifles cut back to 16" in like '84 and after pretty extensive testing, they were determined to be too unreliable for a service type weapon.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 5:48:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 5:49:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
When you cut down a 20" A2 bbl what does that do to your dwell time?  having less bbl after the gas port I mean?

Thanks, Matt

They are usually carbine or mid-length gas systems, using a low profile gas block under the handguards, and a FSB that is used for a sight only... the gas tube isn't connected to it but rather the low profile gas block further back.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 6:22:57 AM EDT
[#25]
My only AR is a Bushmaster Dissipator upper on a Stag A2 lower...

Yep, it's ugly.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 6:47:05 AM EDT
[#26]
beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Where's your pic runswithscissors?
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 7:05:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When you cut down a 20" A2 bbl what does that do to your dwell time?  having less bbl after the gas port I mean? Shortened barrel = shortened dwell time

Thanks, Matt

I did a batch of rifles cut back to 16" in like '84 and after pretty extensive testing, they were determined to be too unreliable for a service type weapon.

It's about the same as a 10.5 with a carbine system and I know many MANY LEOs who use those on SWAT teams no problems.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 7:10:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I will only build these from now on.  This is an Adco UTE Cruiser on an LMT SOPMOD lower.  Pretty dollied-up.

media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=2485

As they should be
www.adcofirearms.com/sale/cruiser_barrel.jpg

I still think they are a great configuration, but no one wants them

Are there two gas ports in that config? I've always been curious about dwell time on the dissies.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 7:13:35 AM EDT
[#29]
I've always liked the Dissy configuration.  The only reason I changed mine out was the HBAR was too heavy.  If When I build another AR, it will be a Dissy styled AR.

Link Posted: 5/21/2008 7:14:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
It's about the same as a 10.5 with a carbine system and I know many MANY LEOs who use those on SWAT teams no problems.

Note even... Apples and Hand Grenades.

If you measure the available port pressure and take a look at the actual lock and dwell times, you are talking two different animals.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 7:24:32 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As they should be

Are there two gas ports in that config? I've always been curious about dwell time on the dissies.

Nope, just one.  The low profile gas block is the gas system.  It's at mid-length.  The FSB, while capable of being a gas block as well, is just used as a sight in this case.  Don't get hung up on dwell times.  If you're using a 14.5" or 16" barrel, either the carbine or mid length work perfectly.  

Some poeple report good results with rifle legnth systems in a 16", but there's been an enormous amount of testing and development to the contrary.  There are tested options out there.  Why fool around with one that weapon developers have already rejected?
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I want one.  I don't *need* another AR upper right now, but at some point I'll *want* another one and I really like that Custom Cruiser UTE that's on your site.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 7:46:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Where's your pic runswithscissors?

Link Posted: 5/21/2008 7:56:40 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As they should be

I just decided what my next carbine is going to be!
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

As they should be

Preface
I know very little about building / assembling uppers ...

Question
That said (and in viewing the pic above) are there any potential "issues" related to having a FSB placed or attached forward of where it " should " be in terms of durability or ruggedness?  

IOW, is a FSB somehow more secure / strong / stable / "better attached" when it is used in a more "traditional" placement, and used as a gas block, rather than just hanging out way up front all by its lonesome, dissy style ?

If you know what I mean ...

Link Posted: 5/21/2008 8:44:23 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As they should be

Nope, just one.  The low profile gas block is the gas system.  It's at mid-length.  The FSB, while capable of being a gas block as well, is just used as a sight in this case.  Don't get hung up on dwell times.  If you're using a 14.5" or 16" barrel, either the carbine or mid length work perfectly.  

Some poeple report good results with rifle legnth systems in a 16", but there's been an enormous amount of testing and development to the contrary.  There are tested options out there.  Why fool around with one that weapon developers have already rejected?

Aahhh,ok. I always thought the dissie was a rifle length cut down to like 2" from the fsb. So you can have a middie and a carbine length dissie?
But while they LOOK like a middie aor carbine,they really have the gas bolck farther from the fsb,right? I wouldn't mind having a middie dissie.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#37]
I have a couple of Colt A2s that will be cut and opened up to make Dissy uppers.  They've been on the back burner for a while.  One of these days I'll get around to it.  Probably will go with PRI tubes.  They're my new favorite.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

LOL.   An EAG Tactical cap and an EOTech together in the same picture???  

Wait 'til Pat Rogers sees that!!

Link Posted: 5/21/2008 8:53:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Ruggedness and durability issues? No, none that I can think of.

Quoted:
Preface:  I know very little about building / assembling uppers ...

Question:  That said (and in viewing the pic above) are there any potential "issues" related to having a FSB placed or attached forward of where it " should " be in terms of durability or ruggedness?  

IOW, is a FSB somehow more secure / strong / stable / "better attached" when it is used in a more "traditional" placement, and used as a gas block, rather than just hanging out way up front all by its lonesome, dissy style ?

Link Posted: 5/21/2008 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
As they should be

What weight is that barrel? I'm looking for a Ban configured barrel w.M-4 ramps. I would prefer a light weight.

This upper looks like it may be what I am looking forRRA UTE Upper Receiver
WOA B/BC/CH w/0-Ring
WOA/Wilson 16" SS 1:7 Barrel
MID Gas System

Built on a RRA lower w/Sully Stock. and my brake
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#41]
For some reason I am always worried about bending the barrel of AR's, so I like the Dissy full handles to protect the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As they should be

Aahhh,ok. I always thought the dissie was a rifle length cut down to like 2" from the fsb. So you can have a middie and a carbine length dissie?
But while they LOOK like a middie aor carbine,they really have the gas bolck farther from the fsb,right? I wouldn't mind having a middie dissie.

No.  Midlength and carbines have the functional gas block at the midlength and carbine positions.  The only thing that makes one of those a dissipator is an additional front sight block at the rifle length position.

On the outside, all dissipators pretty much look the same.  The only difference is where the hidden gas block is located, or if it exists at all.

As was said earlier, due to questionable reliability of the rifle gas system, the best bet is to use a midlength or carbine gas system.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 1:43:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As they should be

you make it 16" or 17" with rifle length gas, and I would be all over it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 2:46:13 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As they should be

you make it 16" or 17" with rifle length gas, and I would be all over it.

Why rifle length gas?
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Preface
I know very little about building / assembling uppers ...

Question
That said (and in viewing the pic above) are there any potential "issues" related to having a FSB placed or attached forward of where it " should " be in terms of durability or ruggedness?  

Durability is not an issue, the FSB is in the same location as it would be for a rifle, and attached the same way (straight or taper pins).  Now, if its a set screw sight, or one mounted with roll pins (yes, I've seen it), it would be less durable, but no less than one mounted the same way in the CAR or middy location.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#46]
I just got into the dissy game too with a cruiser upper.

Handles well, can't wait to shoot it!
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

That's hot.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

photos.templarfirearms.com/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG_6880.JPG

photos.templarfirearms.com/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG_6883.JPG

Friend of mine had one similar to yours.  It had significant short-stroking problems.

Mine has been working fine, I've got about 1700 rounds through it thus far.

It started life as a Colt A2 Sporter upper. I sent it off to Ken at SAW to have it cut down and the gas port opened up. He told me from the get go that I'll probably want a heavier buffer and at this point I'm running a "0" buffer (rifle buffer with seven steel weights). Works perfect.

My thinking of how this all works (keep in mind, this is a hobby for me, I could be totally wrong ).

Four inches of the barrel has been cut off. ---> Dwell time has been decreased. ---> Probably not enough pressure /time to properly operate (cycle) the rifle. ---> Gas port needs to be opened up. ---> Now with the gas port opened up and a reduced dwell time, there is a shorter duration, but more intense blast of gas. ---> The bolt/carrier group is going to get slammed back and have the buffer bounce off the back of the receiver extension blasting forward (all that blasting wreaking havoc on the gun). ---> Add a heavier buffer, no more blasting.

Or for the mid length, smaller gas port, longer dwell time. And an even smaller gas port and longer dwell time on the carbine length gas block dissy.

Mine works just fine the way it is. Handles great; that A2 barrel being 16-inches seems right as rain. It eats everything I feed it (including Wolf) and is a real pleasure to shoot.

Link Posted: 5/21/2008 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Ruggedness and durability issues? No, none that I can think of.

Quoted:

Durability is not an issue, the FSB is in the same location as it would be for a rifle, and attached the same way (straight or taper pins).  Now, if its a set screw sight, or one mounted with roll pins (yes, I've seen it), it would be less durable, but no less than one mounted the same way in the CAR or middy location.

Cool. Thanks for the feedback ...

I mainly wasn't sure if using the FSB as an actual gas block somehow provided slightly more inherent strength, stability or durability to the setup v. having the FSB just "dangling" out there by itself.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 4:12:42 PM EDT
[#50]
i love mine, mine is a J&T kit rifle on a rock river lower. it's one of my most accurate carbines. i've built an exact duplicate of my rifle for a friend a year ago. a guy i work with is saving his money for a J&T dissy kit now. i admit they are a little front heavy but the long sight radius is really what i like. i also don't understand why more people don't like them i agree with the Adco fellow that they aren't  super duper commando rifles so they don't sell. make a movie with super sniper navy seal rangers wacking the enemies ass with dissy configuration carbines and then they would sell
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top