Page / 2
Posted: 12/15/2007 1:58:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#1]
AR yee dun yet?

Looks like a Doublestar lower.
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Not quite done yet. I'm taking a brief break after having used all three of my hands to get the forward assist in. There's surely an easier way, but it was a first for me.

Yeah, it's a Double Star. And that new 6520 top in the box is fixin' to become a flattop.

We'll see how far I get tonight.
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#3]
How can you tell it's a Doublestar from that picture?

I'm lost.
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm lost.

From the bubble wrap.
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Ahhhh .......cold weather!

Time to turn on the kero heater, head out to the shop with a cold beer, some rifles, and a bottle of CLP. I just finished running damp CLP patches through all my rifle barrels as part of my routine winter maintenance.  

Nice looking set up ya' got there!
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm lost.

From the bubble wrap.

Nope......Its a "find Waldo" pic. Find what gives it away that hes got a DS lower.
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
AR yee dun yet?

Damn! How can you tell it's a Double Star?
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AR yee dun yet?

Damn! How can you tell it's a Double Star?

the give away is in the pic
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Nope......Its a "find Waldo" pic. Find what gives it away that hes got a DS lower.

My guess is it is the bag on the left side of the table with the yellow sticker. The first letter appears to be a D and the rest of the writing could say doublestar. I have not ever ordered from them so I am not sure of their labels but that is my guess.
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Heh, heh.

Well, another hurdle overcome. My 1/16" drill bit succumbed to the superior will of the gas tube roll pin, so an hour later I'm back from the hardware store and that part is taken care of.

Now on to see what damage I can do with the armorer's wrench and the vise block.

ETA -

Quoted:

My guess is it is the bag on the left side of the table with the yellow sticker. The first letter appears to be a D and the rest of the writing could say doublestar. I have not ever ordered from them so I am not sure of their labels but that is my guess.

Nope, that's the Brownells bag the Colt flattop upper came in.
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#11]
    The open white box next to the set of pliers?

ETA: Or the open white box under the table to the left.

Link Posted: 12/15/2007 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Drilled out the gastube roll pin!!! Whoa, you dont have any roll pin punches?
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Drilled out the gastube roll pin!!! Whoa, you dont have any roll pin punches?

I was using the drill bit as a punch, since I didn't have one that small. Now I have a 1/16" punch, but I no longer have a 1/16" drill bit.

Damn! That barrel nut is married to that receiver. Ouch!
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#14]
The white box (with the printed side) inside the brown cardboard box under the left side of the table is the box Double Star lower comes in.  Correct?
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Damn! That barrel nut is married to that receiver. Ouch!

I’m guessing a more stable work platform and larger bench vice might help.    
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I wish I had something new to put together 2nite

Maybe Ill just take something apart!  Cant wait for my SS upper from Armalite!  Now do I look for another preban lower or do i pin a comp on it?  Id rather pay an extra three hundred to keep the A2.  I dont have any postbans and dont really want one but with a fullsize rifle.  I think that I may find a good comp for it.  Besides I like doing my own custom work like blind pinning.  I makes me feel like a real "smiph" when I do more than assemble.
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks like fun
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The white box (with the printed side) inside the brown cardboard box under the left side of the table is the box Double Star lower comes in.  Correct?

and the guy from the BlueGrass State gets it!!!!....Hey, you cheated! DS is in Ky.

blackeye from GA had 2 guesses in 1 post, 2nd guess was correct. Just so he knows I was readin ALL the replies too

I always liked that DS ships their lowers in those lil white boxes.

Link Posted: 12/15/2007 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I was just going to say that the yellow sticker is a Brownells

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heh, heh.

Well, another hurdle overcome. My 1/16" drill bit succumbed to the superior will of the gas tube roll pin, so an hour later I'm back from the hardware store and that part is taken care of.

Now on to see what damage I can do with the armorer's wrench and the vise block.

ETA -

Quoted:

Nope, that's the Brownells bag the Colt flattop upper came in.
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#20]
We have winners:

BTW, the area no longer looks quite so, um, organized. There's bits of drill bit scattered about, and blood everywhere (J/K).

I'm going to let the barrel nut marinate in some WD40 while I go look for my really big hammer.
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'm going to let the barrel nut marinate in some WD40 while I go look for my really big hammer.

Try the freezer trick.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Put it in the freezer?
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Put it in the freezer?

[Kramer] Yea buddy!! [/Kramer]      

I've tried it, and it works.  

Barreling Uppers

Installing a barrel is really pretty simple. Solving some of the problems you can run into isn't. Probably the most common problem is excessive windage present after the installation. The rear sight will be cranked all the way to one side. This is one time the manual doesn't help much, most military armorer learn this trick early. Here's how to fix it. Clamp the barrel in a vise, using barrel blocks. Line up the front sight carefully on a vertical line, just like the book says. First tighten up the barrel nut - hand tight, not torque to prevent damage to receiver. Now, look at your receiver. Chances are it's leaning off to one side -when compared to the front sight. Using a non-marring hammer, hit the side of the carrying handle, as near to the front as you can. This will rotate the receiver slightly to one side or the other. Here's the trick, hit on the side that the rear aperture is furthest away from. In other words, try to move the receiver towards the rear sight. Be careful, you don't have to kill it, just a firm tap will usually do the trick. If the barrel is straight, aligning the receiver forging with the front sight forging will usually put the windage adjustment right in the middle, and it takes about a minute to do it. Simple! One other trick we should mention is for when you are torquing on a barrel nut and everything locks up. A squeaking noise, then it's like it's welded right there. The surest way to break something is to keep trying to loosen it. This trick is so simple, we couldn't believe it. Put the whole assembly in the freezer    and leave it overnight. This gets some differential expansion working for you. Pull it out the next day, and it will almost always come loose. zer, We recommend using an action block, like the one we sell, and clamping on the receiver to prevent breaking the index pin when doing this. A really good wrench, like the heavy duty one we sell, will prevent ruining the barrel nut.

www.bushmaster.com/faqs.asp

Link Posted: 12/15/2007 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Hmm...

OK, it's had over an hour to become intimate with the WD40. If it doesn't give it up when I go and try again in a minute, it's going into the freezer.
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#25]
hammer?
I can't imagine that vice takes much torque does it?
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Well then, the barrel nut's unstinting degree of cooperation has earned it a free stay at the Arctic Paradise Spa, right next to the popsicles.

To be continued tomorrow night. I think I'll go watch Weaponology or something...
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Might be a dum question but are you using a torque wrench with your barrel nut wrench? even with the "cheater bar" leverage that wil give you the nut still wont loosen?
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I resorted to a pipe wrench.  The nut was torn up already -- it did the trick right away.
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I resorted to a pipe wrench.  The nut was torn up already -- it did the trick right away.

Been there!

I screwed up a barrel nut so bad once that the pipe wrench was my only hope.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Eeek! Well I hope to avoid that.
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#31]
So I wanted to get this project going yesterday and I started assembling the stuff. Dangit! Brownells sent me all the stuff for the upper receiver except a roll pin for the forward assist. This wasn't going to work.

There was a gun show in Pasadena, but I wasn't going to go. Trying to break the habit and all that. Now, though, I had a very specific need, so off I went. When I got there I visited with my intended supplier and while she and her cohort searched their booth for that roll pin, I remembered that I also needed an A2 stock spacer and I wasn't sure how I'd do with the gas tube roll pin, so I asked for one of those as well. To her credit, she came up with 2 out of 3. Still, though, no FA roll pin. I headed home, disappointed.

I don't know what this says about my life, but at home I found a forward assist roll pin in the pantry.

And now I've got a 6520 upper in the freezer.
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 7:58:40 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I don't know what this says about my life, but at home I found a forward assist roll pin in the pantry.

And now I've got a 6520 upper in the freezer.

Link Posted: 12/16/2007 8:12:19 AM EDT
[#33]
HA HA Thats funny,so what does your significant other think,[ I went to the pantry for something and found roll pins.Went to the freezer and found an upper].Do you find parts in the cloths dryer too?
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#34]
It looks like your using a tacklebox as a parts/tool box..I went to Dicks Sporting Goods and bought the biggest Plano tacklebox they carry and use it as my parts/tool box....works great!

Always room to open an LPK, divy up the parts and throw the pistol grip into my growing collection of A2 grips

I order my upper recievers assembled so I dont have to mess with the FA.
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/Indoor_gun_fun.jpg

I know I'm old when I can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday night

That's kind of what I hate about BRD, I really have no need for more then one or 2 AR's but they are so damn fun to build and so many different and cool configs that I can't help myself and end up building news one just for fun and to try different things out. Then I just end up parting them back out when I realize I have no need for it or need the money to fund some other must have project!!!

Damn BRD
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I order my upper recievers assembled so I dont have to mess with the FA.

This one was ordered complete, but there was a little snafu on Brownells' end. To their credit once they were made aware of the shortage they sent me the parts very quickly.

Well, except for the forward assist roll pin.
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
It looks like your using a tacklebox as a parts/tool box..I went to Dicks Sporting Goods and bought the biggest Plano tacklebox they carry and use it as my parts/tool box....works great!

Always room to open an LPK, divy up the parts and throw the pistol grip into my growing collection of A2 grips

Here we go......maybe he'll get the hint!  

Link Posted: 12/16/2007 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here we go......maybe he'll get the hint!  

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/100_4399sm.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/100_4400sm.jpg

That's pretty slick. I like it and may just have to copy it
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#39]
MMcfpd......just for you buddy!  

Link Posted: 12/16/2007 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I’m guessing a more stable work platform and larger bench vice might help.    

Looks like that's going to have to be the plan. Much of the stuff on the table in the photo has since been airborne. So I decided a few thousand rounds of ammo on the far side of the table was called for.

Bolstering part of a system is an excellent way to discover the next weakest point. The tabletop cracked.

I think I'll go organize parts.
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#41]
A small pic of where I do my heavy wrenching on AR's.

It is 2' wide by 8' long. I split a sheet of plywood in half longways and used the two 2x8 halves to be the "countertop" and shelf on my bench. The rest is 2x4's and  2x6's.
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#42]
You usually only need to put the upper in the freezer for 10-15 at most, steel and AL are decent heat sinks and get "cold" pretty quick. Also might have a torch ready just in case. A little (a LITTLE) heat to the bbl nut and a quick wrenching will get most nuts undone. Think cold barrel and warm barrel nut.

Quib, Stickman used to have a very similar setup. Where do you get the clear film canister looking things?
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
You usually only need to put the upper in the freezer for 10-15 at most.....

When I used the “freezer-trick” it took my upper about an hour or so in the freezer before the barrel nut would budge with the help of the pipe wrench.

I still have the old barrel nut laying around just as a reminder!
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Quib, Stickman used to have a very similar setup. Where do you get the clear film canister looking things?

You wouldn’t believe how many requests I get for info on those containers every time I post that pic!  

I do not know where they can be purchased. I collected them up at a previous job when ever I saw them laying around or in the trash can. They originally held aircraft cannon plug electrical pins.

When I first saw them the light came on upstairs...AR parts pin containers!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Ah, the benefits of middle age - prescription containers ought to fill the parts organizing bill well.

I didn't realize until I started cleaning up just how fierce my battle with the barrel nut had become. I will get that sucker off, eventually. Its replacement has been ordered and the pipe wrench is on standby.

But I do need to do something about the work environment first. A bolt down vise and something to bolt it to are in the planning stages. I'll give the old clamp-on vise this - it bested the table!

Thanks for your help, guys.

Chapter II will likely be post Christmas.
Link Posted: 1/5/2008 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#46]
After multiple attempts, a cracked table top, an injured arm and the apparent degradation of the barrel nut's teeth to a degree that promised it only a future with Jerry Springer, it was decided that a heavy duty pipe wrench was the last stop before boxing it up and sending it off to ADCO.

In order to give the pipe wrench full purchase on the renegade nut, it was decided the delta ring and spring had to go. Brzzzz...

Then off to the freezer with the subject while staging for the final assault:

In the end, though, the WMD stood aside while a 2' breaker bar brought forth ultimate victory:

So, what say the assembled AR  brain trust; does this barrel nut need to be replaced?

I'm thinking that it probably does.

And now I'm thinking that if that's the case, that flash hider probably would have been a lot easier to take off while the barrel was still on the receiver.

Oh well, not a mistake I'll make again. Learn from my travails all you virgin barrel swappers out there.

I've actually got everything I'll need to do that except a crush washer for the FH. And if I need to order one, there'll undoubtably be some nagging thought that I ought to go ahead and order something like an LPK just to make the shipping kind of worth it.

And you know what can happen when you've got an unused LPK in the parts box.

*sigh*
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#47]
So a new barrel nut and delta ring assembly were called for:

And replacing that nut requires removing the FSB. 30 minutes ago I was thinking that said operation was something I never wanted to try again. Then, after an hour or so of pounding on the front taper pin and considering Dremel surgery, hey, it just happened; the rear pin took all of maybe two minutes:

Unless an alternate suggestion appears I'm just going to try some Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black on the torture scars on the FSB.

Now I'm just waiting on a new crush washer and I might as well use the two new taper pins I ordered along with it.

There's light at the end of the tunnel.

And it's not cold out anymore, either.
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 12:32:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Damn butcher!  Why dont you whack the muzzle crown with a ball peen hammer and use vise grips to adjust your optics?

Ha ha JK.  That barrel nut was a whore

ETA: How did one cold night build turn into a 20 day fight with a barrel nut?
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 3:51:12 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
How did one cold night build turn into a 20 day fight with a barrel nut?

First you must crawl before you walk.

Or something like that.

So now it's on the brink of Phase II: Putting It All Together.
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Didn't think I'd get here, didja?

New member of the tribe, a Colt 6520 flattop:

So maybe I took the long way, but now I know a bit more.

I'm not sure about the lower yet; I've got one of those Lauer/LMT holiday special lowers coming, but I'm wrestling with another silly idea.

And finally, gone but not forgotten:
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top