Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/17/2007 12:19:26 PM EDT
Hopefully someone will be able to lend me some insight/support. I believe that I'm over analyzing my buying options.

I came across the opportunity to purchase a full-auto AR15 via the department that I work for, but realized that I didn't need full-auto nor would I be able to keep it if I left the department. (Our city will finance firearms to our officers)

So now I'm in the market for an M4 variant, but I know nothing about AR's. I've been trolling the forums for a while and have learned quite a bit, but not enough to be comfortable making a decision (especially a $1k decision).

I initially had my mind made up on DPMS....then I remembered CMMG here in MO. I've shot several DPMS's and handled some of CMMG's rifles, but not enough to justify a large expenditure. I've also heard mixed reviews of S&W's M&P line. That leaves 14 billion other manufacturers. If I picked up a Colt 6920 for $1k would I be buying the name?

My intentions with this rifle is to basically have a "toy." Do I need an AR? No. Do I want an AR? Well, of course.

I will more than likely be maintaining the rifle in its simplest form seeing as how all the whizbang accessories seem a bit awkward to me...not to mention more $$$ for me to tear up.

I was also looking into the possibility of furthering my instructional capabilities by delving into the third gun instructor courses being as I already instruct police handgun and shotgun.

Someone make a decision for me. (I know no one can or will, but....) I apologize that my first post is a blathering rant, but there is too much information out there now.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#1]
stay away from dpms for a patrol rifle ive heard too many horor stories about them and have never been impressed by them. there are much better choices, Im not sure if CMMG gives a LE discount, you should call and ask them. CMMG also has their bargin bin rifles for about 550 if my memory serves me correctly.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I have also heard mumblings about DPMS as patrol rifles.

I'm think I'm already fed up with CMMG, I called them earlier (9am) ready to hand them $1k+, but they have some irritated CS people, not to mention my call was never returned.

That's kind of too bad too, I really like what I was seeing on their website regardless of how confusing the layout is (and the fact that I can never seem to find the shopping cart).
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#3]
what if I told you you could buy a $799.99 M4 that was all you could hope for ? ADS  m4  www.shootersvault.net    check weekly specials . it has it all except a M16 BCG . as good as the LMT and Colt I have but with a better finish .
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Give CMMG an email or another call there great people and they will do about anything to get your business.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#5]
CMMG builds a good product for the price. I would avoid DPMS for anything other than a target rifle. You really cant go wrong with Colt or LMT if you dont mind paying a little more.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I like LMT, Colt, and Rock River.  That being said my next upper will be a CMMG.  If it's just a toy why not just buy bargin bin one from CMMG?  

If your using it for duty and want to run iron sights maybe research a mid-length.  If your set on a carbine you can not go wrong with LMT or Colt.  Depends on how much YOU want to spend.    

As far as just telling you what to get.....Ok......Colt 6920, or a slightly smaller, LMT 14.5+ pinned on PHANTOM= 16 carbine.  Good carbines for all LEO range stuff.

Bucky145      

Link Posted: 11/17/2007 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#7]
COLT M4
LMT M4
NOVESKE N4
SD M4

BUY A LMT M4 COMPLETE UPPER  ( 14.5 then add phantom) or 16M4

BUY A CHEAP COMPLETE LOWER  (MOST ALL ARE OKAY)

SLAP  IT ON
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Stay away from DPMS

CMMG gives a L.E. discount and built me a nice 16" middy gas system w/ DD Lite Rail.

It is not my patrol rifle but I would trust it to be.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#9]
armalite, bushmater, colt, CMMG, Stag/CMT, and a few others come to mind
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#10]
check out what sully has on his website slr15.com  great rifles and he will throw in a free rifle class.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#11]
So what kind of "LE discount" does CMMG offer? If it's one of those hush-hush things then IM me the details.

How long has CMMG been around? The reason I ask is that I was recently in Columbia, MO for an instructor course and I don't recall anyone mentioning them. If I recall correctly Fayette is near there.

As for the patrol rifle scheme: No, I don't plan on carrying it for that purpose. I'm much more comfortable with my 12 ga. up to 100 yards (I can't see much farther than that... j/k).
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Colt and LMT are GTG.  Many others will say the same about what they shoot, too.  If you're going to carry it on patrol, god forbid you should ever have to use it, a stock Colt is probably the one that will be subjected to the least amount of scrutiny.

Adco has them for $1300, but before you buy one, talk to Steve or Denny (GTS) or Wes(MSTN) and see about having them put one together for you.  I'd take one of those guys' M4s over a Colt any day.

CMMGs rep is solid, but wouldn't you have to pay sales tax?  DPMS has probably done more to further the black rifle in the civi market than anybody, so owning one is something everyone should consider at some point.  I'm just not sure it would be my go-to gun.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:
CMMGs rep is solid, but wouldn't you have to pay sales tax?

Nope...tax exempt.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 1:47:04 PM EDT
[#14]
From you description of desired use; I'd suggest the CMMG bargain weapon to start with as well.

Run it into the ground and then pay bigger bucks later when you know exactly what you want.

IIRC, you can trade in the bargain weapon on a brand new CMMG for full value if you decide that you like their product.

Link Posted: 11/17/2007 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#15]
MGPD03,

There is a gun show near KCI airport on Dec. 1 and 2,and CMMG almost always makes these gunshows.
I have bought 1 complete upper.and some smaller items from them at the show,plus you get to handle what they have on their website.

Here is the gunshow website:
www.rkshows.com/midwest/missouri.htm
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#16]
\
height=8
Quoted:

MGPD03,

There is a gun show near KCI airport on Dec. 1 and 2,and CMMG almost always makes these gunshows.
I have bought 1 complete upper.and some smaller items from them at the show,plus you get to handle what they have on their website.

Here is the gunshow website:
www.rkshows.com/midwest/missouri.htm

They were also here at a local show in SWMO, but I was too preoccupied in finding a small caliber handgun for the wife to pay much attention. BTW, how great is it that I got paid to go to a gunshow (to work "security")?

From the sounds of things, I may just pick up a bargain bin rifle. Does anyone know, off-hand, if their non-chrome lined rifles are all flattop? I'd just assume run iron sights as opposed to having to wait for my rifle to boot up.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
\Quoted:

MGPD03,

BTW, how great is it that I got paid to go to a gunshow (to work "security")?

Some people have all the luck and fun!
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy the COLT they are the best!!  They also hold their resale value.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#19]
You can start by buying my Bushmaster M4A2 upper.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#20]
As LE please do NOT trust your life to DPMS.  Go w/ Noveske or LMT if you can.  If not Colt, CMMG, RR, STAG, BUSHY will be just fine.  Make sure to check the staking and break in w/ a few hundred rounds.  Aimpoint batteries last forever, Eo-Tech better sight picture.  Unless you will not really see CQB and may take long distance shots ACOG not very good for LE.  Not a nock of ACOG.  I have a 4x compact and love it...just not for CQB.  Glass is very good though.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Colt LE6920.
It's even stamped "For Government and Law Enforcement Use Only"

There. I made the decision for you.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Sabre Defence
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Call up Adco Firearms.  They have extensive knowledge building rifles for LEOs and selling them rifles.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#24]
If money is a big factor I would buy the CMMG bargain bin rifle.  If you want to stake your life on your AR if society breaks down then I'd buy the COLT 6920.  

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Get a Colt... I've carried a Colt on duty for the last 12 years with no issues.  If your department is buying it then don't worry about the cost.  I paid $750 for mine 12 years ago as an individual LEO purchase.  Not sure what the LEO price is now.  And there's no reason you can't continue to carry your shotgun.  My department does not issue shotguns and there have been times that I wish I had one.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#26]
But many of the CMMG bargain barrel based rifles are DPMS . Better have them hand select another brand for you[from the bucket].
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Get an LE6920 and never look back!!
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Get a Noveske N4 Light Carbine Basic Upper
noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=n4lcbu&cat=48&page=1&search=&since=&status=

and order a complete Sabre Defence lower from Rainier

www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=744

you can add a "match" or whatever trigger you want later, but  that will be right at about $1200 w/ shipping, and you wont find a better rifle for that price. Colt or otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#30]
height=8
Quoted:
see also
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=350089

ar-jedi

Some good information there (I should have searched, but how would I have ever discerned the search criteria?).

I got a chuckle when I read the parts about checking departmental policy and I realized that 80% of the policies we have in place I've written.

Good times.

Anyhow, I guess I'm still on the fence being as how I don't mind paying a premium price for a superior product, but on the other hand I'm feeding a family of four on a rural Missouri civil service paycheck.

I'll keep on researching and hopefully someone will hold my hand or force me in a particular direction.

Whenever I make the leap, I'll have some UBB etiquette and post in this thread instead of another "Woo Hoo" thread.

Link Posted: 11/17/2007 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I also forgot to add:

Does anyone know if you can buy direct from Colt (departmental of course) or must you seek out a distributor?

I attempted to call earlier this morning but they have M-F bankers hours.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#32]
you have a ton to choose from.  I'd go with one of the following.

Sabre Defence
LMT
COLT

I'll also throw in another choice.  Get the 14.5" and register it as a SBR.  Instead of a 14.5 and pinned FH or a 16".
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Some good information there (I should have searched, but how would I have ever discerned the search criteria?).

I got a chuckle when I read the parts about checking departmental policy and I realized that 80% of the policies we have in place I've written.

Did you write the patrol rifle policy? Reason i ask is you have previously mentioned you would prefer the pattern gun for anything up to 100, which suggests you are of the "old school" mindset regarding patrol rifles. If this is the case I'd respectfully encrouage you to brush up that aspect a little.

That said, you cannot go wrong with a Colt 6920. I also like the S&W although they don't have a 1/7 twist rate. Another option is the RRA product.

Personally, I'd avoid the CMMG, your description of what happenned when you called is pretty much all I ever got in dealing with them.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#34]
The LE6920 is a great carbine.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#35]
No, I haven't written the patrol rifle policy....yet.

In respect to the pattern guns, yes I guess I am "old school" but when you can keyhole one ounce slug rounds at 75-100 yards from a smooth bore barrel it speaks volumes.

In rrespect to the AR rifle, I am trying to brush up. Unfortunately I wasn't in a branch of the service that gave much instruction as to the finer points of a rifle. That being said, I did shoot today with one of my fellow officers who was a USMC machine gunner and believe me....I got the finer points (if I wanted them or not).
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Well, apparently the Colts are in short supply. Anyone know of any distributors or con you buy factory direct?

The email I recieved stated that they were on backorder for 1+ year.

I shot CMMG another email.....
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
So what kind of "LE discount" does CMMG offer? If it's one of those hush-hush things then IM me the details.

How long has CMMG been around? The reason I ask is that I was recently in Columbia, MO for an instructor course and I don't recall anyone mentioning them. If I recall correctly Fayette is near there.

As for the patrol rifle scheme: No, I don't plan on carrying it for that purpose. I'm much more comfortable with my 12 ga. up to 100 yards (I can't see much farther than that... j/k).

IIRC, it's 3% or 5% leo discount.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#38]
hey man private message username "CMMG" and tell him about your experience.

I'm sure you'll get your phone call really quick.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Go DPMS. Good guns for the money. If your life never depends on it so what if you get a jam every 2,000 rounds. Most people never have a major problem with them and they can save you a ton of cash.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
As LE please do NOT trust your life to DPMS.  Go w/ Noveske or LMT if you can.  If not Colt, CMMG, RR, STAG, BUSHY will be just fine.  Make sure to check the staking and break in w/ a few hundred rounds.  Aimpoint batteries last forever, Eo-Tech better sight picture.  Unless you will not really see CQB and may take long distance shots ACOG not very good for LE.  Not a nock of ACOG.  I have a 4x compact and love it...just not for CQB.  Glass is very good though.  

I disagree, I would have trusted my life to my DPMS Arctic Panther. I NEVER had a failure with it. It's all about the individual weapon. Research, test and make whatever changes you need to make your personal weapon as reliable as possible.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Alright, narrowed to two manufacturers after many eye strained hours of reading....

CMMG

and

Noveske

both manufacturers have recieved emails from me and we'll see who comes back from their holiday first to get my $$$. I believe that both rifles will be about the same price +/- $100-200.

I will say that I'm impressed with Noveske's reply to an after hours email from me at work.
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 4:30:16 AM EDT
[#42]
If those are your two choices, get the Noveske, far superior.
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Question about the LMT uppers. Since i dont want to start a new thread. If i get a 14.5 LMT upper, it comes with a normal A2 hider, what company replaces it with a phantom flash hider? Does LMT themselves offer that as an option? Obviously the 14.5 with A2 isnt long enough.
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Question about the LMT uppers. Since i dont want to start a new thread. If i get a 14.5 LMT upper, it comes with a normal A2 hider, what company replaces it with a phantom flash hider? Does LMT themselves offer that as an option? Obviously the 14.5 with A2 isnt long enough.

contact Adco
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#45]
height=8

global tactical will do it for you but I believe they are not in stock yet.  

I don't believe LMT will permanently weld/pin it for you.
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks guys i'll look into it...no rush im going to iraq within the next 2 months
Link Posted: 11/23/2007 6:28:10 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you write the patrol rifle policy? Reason i ask is you have previously mentioned you would prefer the pattern gun for anything up to 100, which suggests you are of the "old school" mindset regarding patrol rifles. If this is the case I'd respectfully encrouage you to brush up that aspect a little.

I have to agree with the above post on patrol rifles v. shotguns.  I can carry both and am glad, but the AR is my primary long gun.  It does most things LE needs better than the shotgun.  Please look at the penetration characteristics of 12 ga v. .223.  This is particuarly important if you are working in an environment where you might have to shoot indoors.  There is plenty of info out there.

Also, the threats have changed a bit in this day and age.  The .223/5.56 round will penetrate armor better than the 12 ga.  It also has a loner effective range.  You have more shots to use.  Please look at the following and make up your own mind.  

"Perfect Day":

www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2007/09/12/beck.pefect.day.part1.cnn

www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2007/09/13/beck.pefect.day.part2.cnn

www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2007/09/13/beck.perfect.day.part.3.cnn

www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/09/15/gb.perfect.day4.cnn

mfile.akamai.com/6713/wmv/glennbeck.download.akamai.com/6713/preview/07/09/Terror_SchoolTraining-sm.asx

North Hollywood:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw94nN5qc_M&feature=related

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoTqD1-E_jY&feature=related

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgGM3D-kTWU&feature=related

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Link Posted: 11/23/2007 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#48]
height=8
Quoted:

.....in this day and age.  

Hell, how old do you think I am?

Link Posted: 11/23/2007 10:25:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Dude just go to the KCI Expo Gun Show on Dec 1st and 2nd, Its in KCMO. You will be able to look at everything from DPMS, Colt, Olympic to CMMG.....as a matter of fact I bet CMMG will be there with about 7 tables lined up and down with AR15s I bet you will also see Stags, Bushmasters, DoubleStar, and S&Ws too..... This will be a good show! Ill be there Sunday morning
Link Posted: 11/23/2007 11:45:11 PM EDT
[#50]
buy the Colt 6920, you wont be sorry or letdown.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top