Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/27/2007 3:31:10 PM EDT
I see the word "match" thrown around a lot.  Match trigger, Match rifle, Match barrel... what does all of this mean?
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#1]
In a nutshell, higher quality in terms of the accuracy gains you might see when using the "match" component as opposed to the "standard" component.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#2]
its one of those words i cant define or throughly explain, but i just know what it is....

all of those components, i guess would be considered "match grade" material; which would mean, i guess, held to a higher std for consistancy and useable for more precise type work

Link Posted: 9/27/2007 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Generally the term Match means that it is held to higher standards for consistancy.  These are usually to enhance accuracy.  This means that parts may be tuned a bit too finely for "harsh" duty use or could be a liability in a defensive weapon.

For example Match barrels are usually a more consistant diameter and straightness throughout their entire length, and may have tighter chambers for more consistant alignment of cartridges.  This may make them a bit more picky about the ammo they will fire or the conditions in which they will feed reliably.

Match triggers are generally lighter in pull weight and have less take-up, or slack. This makes it easier to pull the trigger more consistantly without adding unnecessary pressure and movment to the rifle while squeezing the trigger. These triggers may be less tolerant of dirt and grit, and springs are usually lighter and may provide less positive ignition in less than ideal conditions.  Also, a lighter trigger may be viewed as a liability if the gun were ever used in a defensive situation or if there were ever a negligent discharge of the weapon.

Match rifles are usually built to shoot in target matches.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2007 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks a lot.  That clears it up perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#5]
And here I thought it was 90% marketing, since there was never a military "match grade" AR/M16, the way there was for 1911s or M1s.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I like it...I'm going to make the SOCOM National Matchtical Digital Lightweight Widget. Think it would sell?

Count me in for three of them, but only if they are MILSPEC !!  

Anybody up for a group buy on SOCOM National Matchtical Digital Lightweight Widgets?
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Warning:  Sarcasm Alert.

I always assume that the word "match" or "tactical" somewhere in the proper name of a gun means that the price was increased 50-100% over the standard model with little or no discernible increase in performance.

ZM
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 8:13:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Could be very wrong, but isn't the "Match" factory ammo wise means that they check like 1 out of 10 or 1 of 100 rounds vs 1 of 1000 or 10,000 or something along those lines?. Just quality assurance type deal.....
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like it...I'm going to make the SOCOM National Matchtical Digital Lightweight Widget. Think it would sell?

Count me in for three of them, but only if they are MILSPEC !!  

Anybody up for a group buy on SOCOM National Matchtical Digital Lightweight Widgets?

And then only if they're Tier 1.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
"Match" is used about as accurately as "tactical".

Disregard both of those terms and you should be fine.

Fine for what? Production rifles are good for blasting surplus ammo and killing Iraqs that get too close. Try to hit a 4" dia. steel at 400 yds againest a AR built with a real "match" or "supermatch" barrel and you'll lose every time. The real mk12 mod O are accurized with match grade blanks. I can buy a chrome lined production barrel for $80. My Supermatch barrels with a tolerance of .0001(yes thats 1/10,000 of an inch) are $600 +

Those companies that sell "bull","target" or "varmint" barrels are selling a heavy production barrel. So you're carrying an extra 2lbs for nothing.
Anything sold by DPMS or Olympic are not match grade hell they won't even tell you what kind they are(olympic makes their own). Shaw, Adams and Bennet and Wilson are not match grade. Anything that is chromelined is not match grade.
Douglas is considered match grade but it's not hand-lapped.
Shilen,Hart,Lilja,Krieger (cut-rifled are but not that criterion)Mike Rock, Bartlein,Broughton,Lawton,Schnieder,Obermyer, blanks are all hand-lapped match or supermatch. It's about that ".0001" and using the right barrel,twist,bullet combination and a gunsmith thats knows which chamber reamer to use.

Link Posted: 9/28/2007 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
And here I thought it was 90% marketing, since there was never a military "match grade" AR/M16, the way there was for 1911s or M1s.

There are military match-grade AR-15s, such as the SDM-R, the Mk12, and more.

The word "match" however is often thrown around for no reason.  The solution is to know your products/companies, so that you know when "match" means something.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Sometimes it's a word thrown around a lot for marketing, such as the much over-used term "mil-spec".

Link Posted: 9/28/2007 9:43:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Could be very wrong, but isn't the "Match" factory ammo wise means that they check like 1 out of 10 or 1 of 100 rounds vs 1 of 1000 or 10,000 or something along those lines?. Just quality assurance type deal.....

No, it is totally different bullets and it produces half the group size or more while giving better terminal ballistics in the case of 5.56 "heavy match" OTM ammo.  You are as wrong as wrong can be if you think M855 and "Match" MK 262 is only about checking 1 out of 1000 bullets.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Warning:  Sarcasm Alert.

I always assume that the word "match" or "tactical" somewhere in the proper name of a gun means that the price was increased 50-100% over the standard model with little or no discernible increase in performance.

ZM

Warning: More sarcasm alert.

I always equate "tactical" in regard to firearms with "gourmet" used in food labeling.

tactical 10/22 stock = Swanson gourmet salisbury steak dinner

It's marketing BS to entice the sheep
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I see the word "match" thrown around a lot.  Match trigger, Match rifle, Match barrel... what does all of this mean?

It means the same thing that GT means on a Mustang.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#17]
"match" is more accurate than "tactical" which is cooler than "rack grade"

"Match" is a marketing term. When used to describe chambers or tolerances it usually means tighter. I.E. a "match" chamber should not be used on a duty gun because a slightly out of spec round will not chamber.

In terms of triggers or just about any other part of a weapon it's just an attempt to denote higher accuracy that the "rack" components. It also means "more expensive".
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top