BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/25/2007 4:28:53 PM EDT
This just happened today when I went out shooting. We were shooting 55gr FMJ Rem right out of the box. No one got hurt. But man I'm tired of dealing with this upper. It has been nothing been trouble. Its picky about ammo and frequently casings get jammed in the chamber. I'm going to give Chris at POF a call on Monday to see what can be done.

http://599productions.com/AR/Kaboom1.jpg

http://599productions.com/AR/Kaboom2.jpg

http://599productions.com/AR/Kaboom3.jpg

http://599productions.com/AR/Kaboom4.jpg

http://599productions.com/AR/Kaboom5.jpg
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#1]
glad you're not seriously injured.  were you using a magwell hold? hows the hand feeling?
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad you're ok.

Sorry about the gun dude.
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow! Practically ripped that bolt carrier in two! Glad you're OK.
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I have to ask,you did clean it thourogh didnt you,because you say it was jamming before?Were rounds sticking in chamber?Looks dry ,but just asking.That truly sucks and glad your ok.Havent heard of problems with POF.
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Dang, glad you're OK. Is it just the bolt that is blown or is the upper messed up also?

I'll stick to my Colts, please pass the Koolaid.
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad your ok. I would not try and salvage anything from that upper.

From what you are describing I have a feeling the chamber was undersized.
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#7]
The rifle was cleaned the last time I shot it, which was about two weeks ago. I clean the chamber out each time I clean the rifle. The rifle hardly ever jams with with Remminton ammo and that's all I was shooting today. It had no problems today before it had the kaboom.
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#8]
The only thing I'm going to pull off of that upper are the BUIS and the EOTech. Hopefully I can get it replaced or something like that. I never have any problems like this with my Bushmaster or my CMMG rifles.
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I have heard a couple problems with the Rem.How old is the rifle?
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#10]
The rifle is about 9 months old and has a little over 1K rounds through it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#11]
So do you run that dry like POF say you can? Curious if you really can/should run their uppers dry.
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Glad to hear you are ok. That has to be scary as hell.
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Is the lower buldged like the mag was?
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow, just wow. Glad to see you are okay.
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I was thinking about a POF upper. Not anymore though.

Thanks for the post. I am glad you are alright. I hope POF quickly refunds your money though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Wow! Practically ripped that bolt carrier in two! Glad you're OK.

+1 - I'm sure Chris will take care of you on this.  FWIW, my POF build has been flawless (GEN II Upper & lower).  Post these pics in POF's thread & see what they think may have happened.
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I run the rifle almost dry. I still put the lightest bit of oil on the firing pin and put an even lighter bit of oil on the carrier.

The lower is a CMMG and it appears to be fine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#19]
This same post is in the POF industry section because I think everyone needs to know about this. BTW the mag was a C Products mag that as never had any problems. It had just the standard green follower in it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Good thing those Piston Uppers were created to overcome all those problems with the original AR design Impingement  system.....
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I dont think that lubing or not lubing would have caused this catastrophy. WOW! Im thinking that a manufacturing issue caused this. Keep us updated on this.
For what it is worth both of my POF's run flawless. I have never encountered any issue of any kind. I would be that this is a defect of some sort.  The chamber may be to tight. The bolt carrier may be defected or something.

I guess that the POF flaming will begin soon.
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Good thing those Piston Uppers were created to overcome all those problems with the original AR design Impingement  system.....

I guess that no DI AR's have ever blown up.
In fact I bet that more DI guns have blown up that piston AR's!
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#23]
IBTPRBFS - "In before the piston rifle bash fest starts" unless I'm to late already.  I think most would agree this is an anomaly, and not the standard for a POF product.  My is completely reliable, and I've yet to even clean it - probably 10K rounds through it.  POF should be able to determine what the initial failure was from - but it's definitely not the standard.
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but comparatively...how many of each were manufactured vs. how many have blown up.  Either system will have problems, they are machines, and will fail from time to time.  Think about it, how many ar would you have seen blown up if not for the internet.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#29]
i for one would like to see more pics...of the entire rifle
not just those closeups.
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I have 2 POF's and they run flawlessly, but something like this makes me want to build some DI's "just in case". Greeeaaat...more money to be spent. Glad you are okay...

I am curious, you mentioned that you were experiencing jams/stoppages/failures prior to this incident. What kinds of jams were you getting prior?
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I am going to bet the chamber is on the small side causing pressure spikes.

HM,
I doubt it.  I've physically handled 4 catastrophic failures.  All but one of them were ammo related.  If his upper has 1000+ rounds without a problem, It's likely an ammo issue as well.  Was there a squib round fired before this one? Soft primer? Extra powder in the round?

Glad to see you didn't get hurt!  Keep us posted on what you find!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but comparatively...how many of each were manufactured vs. how many have blown up.  Either system will have problems, they are machines, and will fail from time to time.  Think about it, how many ar would you have seen blown up if not for the internet.  

I know exactly what you are saying. That was sort of my joke there.
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#33]
ouch...glad you are ok

i hope that it pans out for you...good luck
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 12:05:59 AM EDT
[#34]
The problems that I was having with the upper were FTE with Wolf (New Stuff) and some surplus ammo like Radway...Wolf was the brand of ammo I was told to use by POF when I first started having these problems. Also I was having FTE with other types of ammo but nothing on the level as Wolf and that Radway stuff. So I would have to use a rod going down the barrel to knock the casing stuck in there out. The lip on the casings were torn off from the extractor trying to get it out of there. When I first started having problems with this upper I bought and extra CMMG upper just incase this one kept having problems. I just can't trust this upper to do its job. For as much as I spent on this upper I want it to shoot whatever I put through it. Shouldn't that mean "Relentless Reliability". Keep this in mind, the upper was still having these FTE problems even after I sent the upper back to have it fixed.

Don't get me wrong, when its working I really like the rifle. I runs way cooler and doesn't take as long to clean. But all I want is something that will work more times than not. Maybe I just got a bad apple or maybe the ammos to blame. Who knows. All I want is a rifle that works. I'll keep everyone updated as to what happens when I give POF a call on Monday.
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#35]
If it's ammo related, Remington should pay for it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 12:47:32 AM EDT
[#36]
If its ammo related your right they should pay for it. But how does that work if anyone here knows. Because wouldn't POF have to take apart the upper to see who is at fault here.
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 3:40:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Save the rest of that ammo lot for inspection.

You may have had a lemon, which happens in manufacturing; all the planets align regarding bogus.

Rem .223 is supposed to be underpowered.

Maybe you got a cartridge packed with powder.

Link Posted: 8/26/2007 3:45:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
If its ammo related your right they should pay for it. But how does that work if anyone here knows. Because wouldn't POF have to take apart the upper to see who is at fault here.

If he says the ammo is to blame he will have to send the rifle into Remington and let a gunsmith look at it and determine the cause in which they will more then likely say the rifle is to blame and not their ammo

I've been shooting Remington UMC out of my AR for years and never had any problums out of the stuff. Are you sure you didn't shoot a round with a damaged casing?
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 4:05:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Did you post this in POF's forum?
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 4:34:01 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I highly doubt that the OP's rifle Kaboomed because it was a POF.
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 4:59:15 AM EDT
[#41]
I was thinking of all the investigative work that would have to go into discovering the exact reason why a KABOOM happened.  Metallurgy tests, x-rays, having a all the parts including the shrapnel of the round collected and analyzed.  Or is it relatively straight forward in determining the issue by how the damage is viewed.  I would think it is pretty labor intensive and costly to get down to the exact cause.  (I think I watch too much CSI).  I guess sh!t happens and I just hope that it doesn't with me when I go to the range.

I'm glad you didn't fare any worse than you did.  Good luck in pursuing your claim.
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 5:56:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Glad you are alright... Interested in how POF handles this....
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 5:57:56 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I highly doubt that the OP's rifle Kaboomed because it was a POF.

With all the problems that the OP was having before the kaboom with different ammo brands, something WAS going on. I'm thinking it is not the ammo, it has something to do with that chamber. From new it had issues, stuff happens, now lets see how it's taken care of. Thats the real test of a companies merit.
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I am going to bet the chamber is on the small side causing pressure spikes.

+1

Plus I have to wonder about their chroming(or whatever the metals are in the chamber) process. I don't know much about their manufacturing, but I know that chroming can sometimes be uneven at a very diminutive level. That could cause problems with overpressure in a chamber. Just a guess really.
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#46]
If it was tearing rims off cases before this, the rifle had a problem.
Link Posted: 8/27/2007 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Just talked to Chris at POF and he said to send him the pictures of the upper in an email. I told him that he could also see them here and he wasn't too happy that I posted the pictures here. But I have a feeling that this is going to be a big up hill battel getting either my money back or a new upper.
Link Posted: 8/27/2007 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Something else shit the bed here.

Hydrogen Embrittlement of the chromed bolt carrier?

nice

I hate chrome bolt carriers. No science, not a metallurgist or claim to be an expert.  I just simply hate a finish that by nature causes extra cracks or processes which can lead to cracks in my steel parts. I only like a phosphate finish (which can cause cracks) because I hate rust.

Most important thing is you're OK and I'm certain POF will take care of you. Keep us posted.
SC
Link Posted: 8/27/2007 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit. there is less piston uppers out there. The old gas tube works fine. Why change it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2007 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#50]

i had a KB about a year and a half ago that makes that look like a nice day shooting.

blew the bolt and carrier to pieces, blew the upper to pieces, even managed to break the rail free of the upper receiver. the worst part about it was that it also fudged up my SBR lower bad enough that it was trashed. i learned three things from that experience:

1) the ATF doesn't give a crap if the original is destroyed or not, there is no way to "replace" NFA equipment without filling out the forms, paying the tax, and buying a new firearm.

2) if you are a lefty, shoot a lefty gun. if you are right-handed, shoot a right handed gun. if i had been shooting that gun as a lefty when it went up, i would have been missing significant portions of my face, probably one eye included.

3) the "magwell grip" is NOT safe. IF something fails in some terrible manner, and your fingers are wrapped around the magwell. be prepared to potentially lose one or two of them.

ETA: glad you are OK. FWIW, i was pretty sure mine was ammo related. i got in contact with the people at ATK, and they asked me to send the upper out. after *cutting* it off of the lower and sending it to them, they gave me a call back and said, "...send us an invoice for the new rifle or parts, we'll cut you a check." they even paid for the new tax stamp!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top