BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/4/2007 8:34:54 AM EDT
Well, last range trip this carbine broke the 20k mark. This is the only rifle I kept a round count on, I figured it would be good to see what to expect at this mile stone.
I thought I'd share what the parts look like. Except when noted, all parts have 20k fired with them.
The specs on this carbine are:
BM upper and 1/9 "M4" barrel with BM Phantom perm attached.
BM Bolt
RRA Carrier
BM firing pin/cam pin
DPMS extractor that was installed at 10k when the BM extractor failed
Wolff XP spring installed at 10k with the DPMS extractor
No name charging handle
BM lower parts kits with a DPMS hammer  
Now the pictures...

The Carbine

The Bolt, this is the original BM bolt I installed when I put this mutt together in 2002. Note the "grain" of the metal on the tail of the bolt.

The original cam pin

The DPMS extractor I installed at 10k when the original BM extractor failed, It also has a Wolff XP spring installed

The firing pin and firing pin retaining pin with the extractor pin.

The RRA "enhanced" bolt carrier that I installed at 10k, the polished hammer area came polished from RRA

The no name charging handle that is original

The lower parts kit, all BM except the hammer which is DPMS - all original

The buffer face, original H buffer - note - all the finish is gone from the face

Upper receiver wear

Notes - about 85% of the 20k was all Wolf ammo, the remaining 15% was good 'ole brass XM193 (when I could find it)

I plan on replacing the gas tube shortly, it is looking a little worn down.

I do a proper PMCS on my rifles each time I shoot them. This allows me to replace any parts that need replacing.

ETA: I forgot to add that the bolt gas rings have about 19k, I bent a ring once and had to replace it, I replaced all three at the time
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#1]
what do you clean your bolt with?
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I cleaned my bolt with a GI toothbrush and Hopps #9 after I hosed it off with non-clorinated brake cleaner.

My cleaning kit includes.
Hoppes #9
GI toothbrush
various brands of  bronze brushes
non-clorinated brake cleaner to blast off the gunk and rinse

ETA: THe "grain" on the tail of the bolt was not from cleaning, that started to appear over the course of shooting. I don't scrape the bolt during cleaning.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey I think the protective piece of tape fell off your case deflector.  

Nice post... never thought of keeping track of rounds thru the pipe.

What are your groop sizes after 20k. are they starting to open up or are they running the same?
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#4]

WEAR?? what wear, that thing looks barely broken in!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hey I think the protective piece of tape fell off your case deflector.  

Nice post... never thought of keeping track of rounds thru the pipe.

What are your groop sizes after 20k. are they starting to open up or are they running the same?

the group opened up a little, about 2in at 50yds, I can't see 100yds with my glasses.
I still get "minute of 30cal ammo can" at 30 yards though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I know! aint it great! w00t!
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow- neat writeup!

I clean my toys after every range outing too... it just seems prudent. Looks like a nice carbine.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know! aint it great! w00t!

if you don't mind, could you tell us what, and how much, you lubricate your weapon with?

i ask because i lubricate pretty liberally. for the most part, i use whatever i have on hand at the time, from "ed's red", to millitec (sp?). one of my M4's did nearly 20K last year alone, and if you looked it over, you'd think the thing is damn near new. the only real indication of how many rounds have been through it is the wear on the brass deflector.

Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I use CLP/Breakfree.

I put a couple of drops on the gas rings and around the center bearing. I also put a couple of drops on the carrier rails (that touch the upper). I also put a drop on the firing pin.

I don't really lube the fire control parts becuase with Wolf ammo I don't want the read primer sealant to turn into muck down in there. (same for the firing pin)

finally I lightly lube the lugs on the bolt.

Not too heavy, just a "light touch" as Uncle Sam tought me.

During a range session, I squirt a little CLP into the gas vent holes on the carrier to keep it going... that Wolf is dirty you know.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Now wait a minute here.  I've heard that Wolf ammo will destroy a rifle!
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I use CLP/Breakfree.

I put a couple of drops on the gas rings and around the center bearing. I also put a couple of drops on the carrier rails (that touch the upper). I also put a drop on the firing pin.

I don't really lube the fire control parts becuase with Wolf ammo I don't want the read primer sealant to turn into muck down in there. (same for the firing pin)

During a range session, I squirt a little CLP into the gas vent holes on the carrier to keep it going... that Wolf is dirty you know.

Nice write up and picks, looks like you take great care of your weapon...Where do you get CLP/breakfree?
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Where is the carbon on the bolt tail?  No need to clean that
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the great post.  Brake cleaner is now on the shopping list.  Probably something you oughta have anyway...

Manlaw?
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Doesn't look much different than my AR that has 2-3k thru it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thanks for the great post.  Brake cleaner is now on the shopping list.  Probably something you oughta have anyway...

Manlaw?

4 cans.  Leave one where it "should be" and a second one to leave somewhere else.  The other two are for backups to the first two.

Get a can of Liquid Wrench while you are at it.

Excellent photos and post!  
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#16]
cool thread, looks great for 20k, great maintance on your part shows. What type of wolf ammo were you using, the old stuff or new
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I use CLP/Breakfree.

that's pretty much what i do also, right down to the putting a squirt in teh vent holes. i use a q-tip soaked in oil to put the lube in the upper receiver where it contacts the carrier, as opposed to putting it on the carrier though. the only reason i do it this way is because when i lube up the carrier instead, and put it in the upper, most of the lube "scrapes" off and ends up on the back of the receiver instead.

ETA: i use a LOT of wolf too. my M4 with the high round-count would be *lucky* if it was only 85% wolf! i guess i'm doing something right though...

Link Posted: 1/4/2007 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#19]
That thing looks new. You need to shoot it more.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Do you mind if I copy your cleaning ritual?

.....So damn clean!
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

It has....Cant you see it's in pieces man!?
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Very impressive.  Good maintenance is the key.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
cool thread, looks great for 20k, great maintance on your part shows. What type of wolf ammo were you using, the old stuff or new

I didn't count, but I would say 20% old and 80% new.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It has....Cant you see it's in pieces man!?

you should see what Wolf did to my dog!
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I know, no need, but old habits die hard. I don't scrap though, some hoppes and the old .22 bore brush does the trick in no time.

besides it allows me to inspect the whole bolt for cracks and what not - this is a "non-MP tested" bolt you know....
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maintenance & Cleaning »  "It takes a light touch"- lubing tips for the AR15 / M16 series rifle.  

That was in honor of your thread
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know, no need, but old habits die hard. I don't scrap though, some hoppes and the old .22 bore brush does the trick in no time.

besides it allows me to inspect the whole bolt for cracks and what not - this is a "non-MP tested" bolt you know....

Wolf ammo and a non-MPI bolt!  You're asking for trouble!
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 5:06:17 AM EDT
[#29]
gratuitous Friday morning bump for the masses...

and a different angle on the fire control group
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 5:55:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Excellent report and much appreciated. If I had to guess the round count on your carbine, I would say about two cases. Excellent maintenance always gives excellent service. I'm sure you'll be shooting that one for as long as the barrel chrome stays in it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#31]
worthy bump for the weekend crew
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Have you checked the throat erosion?
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Yah right, try 2K rounds at best!! Oh yah and I'm really sure you shot Wolf ammo to with a non-MP inspected bolt! Now I'm convinced people will just post anything these days.

Just kidding, figured I'd act like a prick like a lot of guys on here. Honestly that is awsome and obviously a well maintained system. Just check the barrel, most likely needs replacing but otherwise- good to go!!!

C77

Link Posted: 1/5/2007 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Wow, great to see.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Have you checked the throat erosion?

no, I don't have the tool, I'll see if I can borrow one from my friends
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 2:18:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Yah right, try 2K rounds at best!! Oh yah and I'm really sure you shot Wolf ammo to with a non-MP inspected bolt! Now I'm convinced people will just post anything these days.

Just kidding, figured I'd act like a prick like a lot of guys on here. Honestly that is awsome and obviously a well maintained system. Just check the barrel, most likely needs replacing but otherwise- good to go!!!

C77

LOL!
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

C77

what a prick, if you dont have anything productive to say, STFU
got ya, payback a bitch
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#38]
You guys are good for a laugh!  

Glad to see your weapon well maintained and in good order.  Gives me hope.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#39]
CB1, thanks for this most interesting thread. I enjoyed seeing what your rifle looked like after 20k rounds. I like many others on this board tend to clean my AR until the rifle is spotless (USMC training I guess ) I like these threads where the mixmaster/hodge-podge rifles work, and work and work. Good Job!
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Need a pic of the lower bearing surface where the bcg rides in the lowerupper.

Edit to fix short bus typo.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Need a pic of the lower bearing surface where the bcg rides in the lower.

OK, I'll get that up shortly
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Very nice, CB1, however, I'm surprised your cleaning kit doesn't include the mandatory pipe cleaners and q-tips...

Link Posted: 1/5/2007 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#43]
My Armalite if about halfway to the 20K mark and actually looks about the same, hadn't had to replace anything so far.

I love these rifles they just keep runnin'

Heres to another 10 or twenty K
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Great info and pics...this was like the AR version of myth busters...so the wolf is bad and the non mp tested stuff sucks myth is finaly put to rest.The key like youve shown is maintinence
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Maybe the pics aren't clear but having seen a LOT of ARs that have been carried and shot on duty, there is no way that went 20K...  I have rifles with 2K that have more internal wear than that.  

Nice rifle though and good job on the cleanup...
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Your maintenance is impeccable!

Can you clean mine too!
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Wow that looks a lot better than I would have expected after 20K.
Link Posted: 1/6/2007 5:17:50 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Maybe the pics aren't clear but having seen a LOT of ARs that have been carried and shot on duty, there is no way that went 20K...  I have rifles with 2K that have more internal wear than that.  

Nice rifle though and good job on the cleanup...

All I can say is that when I go shooting, it is a 1k day; and back when it was $110 a case for Wolf it is fairly easy to reach 20k quick. I burned about a case every two months up until Wolf started to go up in price, I then cooled it down to 500rds a trip.

nowadays I pre load my mags prior to range trips, I have two SAW pouches loaded with 210rds each (fourteen 30rd mags ) and two 20rd mag pouches with 160rds (eight 20rd mags)   160+420=580 each range trip.

as for the looks, you really can't compare privately owned weapons to a organization, I was in the Army and I know how they clean and I visited my step father's Reserve armory and I know how they "clean". All I can say is that I think I shoot more and pmcs (level 1) better then most of the "duty" personnel that I know.

Here is my carbine taken last summer after a 1k day...

there is some .30 cal carbine and 7.62x39 in that pile, but you get the picture.

Link Posted: 1/6/2007 5:34:26 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Need a pic of the lower bearing surface where the bcg rides in the upper.

OK, I'll get that up shortly

ok, here they are, I didn't use a flash so the glare would not drown it out.

Link Posted: 1/6/2007 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Thank you for a great wtite-up & pics... I'm getting close to 3k rounds through one of my rifle and now WOLF steel cased is my primary plinking ammo. I was expecting the Apocalypse to occur anytime since I'm using that ammo, but you've shown otherwise...
Thx again for the details...
TO
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top