Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/28/2006 2:42:19 PM EDT
I have a new RRA Entry Tactical which I plan on breaking in in the near future. I have a Wilson Combat Lo mount and Burris Fullfield II Tactical arriving Wed. If space permits, I will put an ARMS 40L under the scope. I have 60 rounds of Fed AE 55gr FMJ, 60 rounds Remington 55gr FMJ, Georgia Arms reloads, and Quat. mil. surplus 55gr. FMJ. I plan on zeroing with the AE, bore snake and swab afer every 10 rounds, using up the Federal, and do the same with the Remington, Quat, and Georgia Arms. I have 4 new NHMTG mags (20 round). Am I making this too complicated and should just shoot whatever? Comments?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Am I making this too complicated and should just shoot whatever?

Thanks

Yes
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, Ok. Time to buy some Wolf.

Thanks Greener

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's what I did for my first AR.

I loaded up all magazines with Fed AE 223 55g FMJ and zero'd the rifle. Then, I kept shooting. I shot about 200rds through the rifle. No cleaning in between or anything. Of course, I cleaned & lubed afterwards. No problems.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Damn, Ok. Time to buy some Wolf.

Thanks Greener

Wolf might not be a real good idea, since it is underpowered, compared to most other loads.
Any milsurp would be good though, or perhaps Winchester white box.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless you are trying to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of it...just shoot it. I tried the whole break-in thing myself with my chrome moly barrel and I think it was a waste of time. Just stay away from laqured coated/steel casings, corrosive primers, etc.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Shoot every round you mentioned and then clean your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I clean and lube well, fire a 120 rnds and clean and lube again. There is usually a lot parkerizing off the bolt and other crud come loose in the first few mags
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I just purchased my first AR, a Bushmaster Predator. The manual stated that the break in was 20 rds between cleanings, for the first  60 rds, and use JB bore paste when cleaning. I am OK with this, as I can check the copper fowling. I don't know what hand lapping costs, but if you buy the kit ie: Tubbs, load the bullets, clean in between segments. I think you would be better off with a Smith lapping for you, should your break in not be favorable.
Jim
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Greener, Zoot, and GetDown.

My remark about the Wolf wasn't  really serious. Figure it out as I go. It'll be fun. Zero the iron's. Zero the scope. Clean it up when I get home. I'll let you folks know how it goes. Thanks for the info.

LBV
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top