Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2006 6:01:27 PM EDT
I know they are made by Stag arms (at least the reciever is), but what about parts like the bolt or - especially - the barrel?

And I know a lot of people say it's a waste of money, but I considered the following today: the Bushmaster equivalent M4gery of an MP15 is a tad bit under $100 bucks less than the MP15 itself (at least on Gunbroker). On the surface it would seem stupid to spend the extra hundred to buy S&W's version, but one also has to take into account that the S&W AR comes with the side swing swivel and M4 oval-style handguards (something I prefer) as standard. The handguards would cost about $30 to replace on the Bushmaster, and I have no idea how much a sling mount like that would cost. So, in reality, the prices might actually be pretty close.

Am I off-base here?
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a RRA and handled the s and w, nice weapon, but didn't feel any more nice then my RRA, and s and w have not been really good at taking care of their customers.
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#2]
IMHO,

If you're not buying an ar in two parts (thus avoiding 11% tax---ouch!!!), you're getting ripped off.

If you can get the SW in 2 parts, sure, go for it. If not, why not buy a comparable product for less $$$ and buy extra ammo?
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have a RRA and handled the s and w, nice weapon, but didn't feel any more nice then my RRA, and s and w have not been really good at taking care of their customers.

I would like to buy an RRA, but I am dead-set on having a chrome-lined M4-profile barrel. Also, I thought the M&P had a lifetime warranty?

------------------------------------------

Just thought of something else, too: the way Smith&Wesson have the line set up is that you can buy the rifle with either a carry handle or just a BUIS, and both can be had for basically the same price off of auction sites.

My question: what kind of BUIS is on these rifles (I've heard it's Troy), and how much would that cost? I'm trying to determine if it would be cheaper to buy the one with the BUIS and get a carry handle afterwards, or vice-versa.
Link Posted: 9/9/2006 4:26:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought the Standard M&P 15. Its a nice rifle. It did jam/malfunction on almost every shot when I first got it. Stag fixed it and its works fine now. The main reason I like it is because it has an M4orgery barrel which is light and a slightly shorter buttstock. I put tac rails on it and a light and its still fairly light. Use it with an Eotech. I think my RR is much better made and finished rifle but its much heavier also.
JR

Link Posted: 9/9/2006 4:48:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would like to buy an RRA, but I am dead-set on having a chrome-lined M4-profile barrel. Also, I thought the M&P had a lifetime warranty?

Just thought of something else, too: the way Smith&Wesson have the line set up is that you can buy the rifle with either a carry handle or just a BUIS, and both can be had for basically the same price off of auction sites.

My question: what kind of BUIS is on these rifles (I've heard it's Troy), and how much would that cost? I'm trying to determine if it would be cheaper to buy the one with the BUIS and get a carry handle afterwards, or vice-versa.

It is indeed a Troy(marked with S&W logo) and they are going for $140 at Bravo Company.
Link Posted: 9/9/2006 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It is indeed a Troy(marked with S&W logo) and they are going for $140 at Bravo Company.

Interesting. Seeing as you can get a carry handle for $75 on ebay, that gives the M&P a $65 advantage already. Combine that with the $30 the handguards would cost me, and the presumed minimum of $30-$40 the side sling mount would cost, that completely minimizes the hundred-dollar-difference I've seen between the M&P and a Bushmaster equivalent on Gunbroker. Doesn't seem so over-priced at all.

BTW, I had a brain fart when I was trying to hit "quote" and unwittingly hit the "report" button. I had no idea what happened and I think I just hit cancel. But just in case, no hard feelings.
Link Posted: 9/9/2006 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have to call bull shit on S&W not taking care of there customers. I have a SW1911 I had some problems with it. it was sent back to S&W a few times each time they paid the shipping bolth ways. they were very polite on the phone. I don't know what more you could ask for. each time I sent it to them it was back to me in 2 weeks. the last time they replaced the slide and I have had 0 problems since. I would by a S&W just for how well they take care of there customers.
Link Posted: 9/9/2006 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting. Seeing as you can get a carry handle for $75 on ebay, that gives the M&P a $65 advantage already. Combine that with the $30 the handguards would cost me, and the presumed minimum of $30-$40 the side sling mount would cost, that completely minimizes the hundred-dollar-difference I've seen between the M&P and a Bushmaster equivalent on Gunbroker. Doesn't seem so over-priced at all.

Not to mention the Mil-Spec buffer tube, and parked under the FSB. Features the Bushy does'nt have.
Link Posted: 9/10/2006 7:15:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I have to say that my S&W MP15 has the nicest finish of all my AR's.  The fit is perfect and it is every bit as good as the RRA's and Bushy's that I have seen.  Reliable for the couple hundred rounds I have fired through it.  All in all, it probably no better or worse than the others.  The warranty is lifetime and smith has some of the BEST customer service.  Fear not the MP15
Link Posted: 9/10/2006 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have to say that my S&W MP15 has the nicest finish of all my AR's.  The fit is perfect and it is every bit as good as the RRA's and Bushy's that I have seen.  Reliable for the couple hundred rounds I have fired through it.  All in all, it probably no better or worse than the others.  The warranty is lifetime and smith has some of the BEST customer service.  Fear not the MP15
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Look at page 29 of your owners manual. The S&W manual that came with my mp-15 says 1 year limited warranty to original owner only. I am not the original owner of my minty 10 week old rifle. My rifle is off to the factory. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I will be posting back at this site to say what wonderful customer service S&W has. Over the phone conversation with S&W warranty man was not encouraging though.                                                                                                               I think that "lifetime" deal only applies to thier handguns.                                                                          
Link Posted: 9/11/2006 2:09:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Look at page 29 of your owners manual. The S&W manual that came with my mp-15 says 1 year limited warranty to original owner only. I am not the original owner of my minty 10 week old rifle. My rifle is off to the factory. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I will be posting back at this site to say what wonderful customer service S&W has. Over the phone conversation with S&W warranty man was not encouraging though.                                                                                                               I think that "lifetime" deal only applies to thier handguns.                                                                          

Please post back and let us know what happens, interested, because I am thinking about buying one of these rifles. Nether the S&W site or their catalog seems to say anything about the warranty.

And yes I will probably just call them, but would like to know how they handle this.
Link Posted: 9/11/2006 4:03:05 AM EDT
[#12]
IMHO the S&W 15 is a rip-off

I'd stick with something like RRA
Link Posted: 9/11/2006 4:16:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I know they are made by Stag arms (at least the reciever is), but what about parts like the bolt or - especially - the barrel?

And I know a lot of people say it's a waste of money, but I considered the following today: the Bushmaster equivalent M4gery of an MP15 is a tad bit under $100 bucks less than the MP15 itself (at least on Gunbroker). On the surface it would seem stupid to spend the extra hundred to buy S&W's version, but one also has to take into account that the S&W AR comes with the side swing swivel and M4 oval-style handguards (something I prefer) as standard. The handguards would cost about $30 to replace on the Bushmaster, and I have no idea how much a sling mount like that would cost. So, in reality, the prices might actually be pretty close.

Am I off-base here?

alot of people say it's a waste of money because you can buy the same parts cheaper and put it together yourself.  I personally would most likely never buy a manufactured AR again, I would just build it myself.  But in this case if the S&W is exactly what you want I would buy it then.  Parts builds do not come with a warrinty where as if you bought the S&W it would have a warrinty.  I would buy but only if it has everything you want.  It is one hell of an AR

good luck!!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2006 5:48:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I got one and I like it. For the price (which is less then bushmaster and COLT) is still reasonable. I have six COLTS and 1 RRA and the S&W MP 15 is just as nice IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/11/2006 6:03:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Please explain why the S&W is a ripoff and the equivalent RRA/Bushmater at nearly identical prices are not???
Link Posted: 9/11/2006 6:26:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please explain why the S&W is a ripoff and the equivalent RRA/Bushmater at nearly identical prices are not???

Hmm, lemme try.  I am a Smith and Wesson fan from the days of yore...before the idiot from Scottsdale, Arizona ( who doesn't know SHIT about the firearms biz ) bought them.  I hve closely inspected five Smith Ars that I have seen at stores.  Here are my observations:

Component Quality: appears VERY good to Excellent.

Finish: Fairly Good to Excellent  The S and W rollmarks are perfect, VERY attractive.

Quality of Assembly: very average to substandard.

In each instance I have found that the stocklatch is improperly assembled and flops around like a fish out of water.  

"So what?" you say?  Well, if they can't get a stock latch on right...what makes you think the barrel/nut/gas tube reciever interface is done properly?

Also, in each instance I have found anywhere from one to all of the sling swivel rivets are not rolled over correctly.

If they can't do simple stuff that Oly wouldn't even miss....what on earth ARE they missing that you CAN'T see?????

Link Posted: 9/11/2006 7:00:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd have a lot more interest in one if it were 1:7.
Link Posted: 9/11/2006 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a S&W M&P15 and like it very much.  Paid $870 for it OTD from a local dealer.  Yes, I like to keep local guys in business.

The M&P15 is every bit equivalent to my Bushmaster carbines.

It's functioned 100% in 500 to 600 rds except for one case sticking incident and failing my "bad mag" function test, which I expected. I have a known bad mag that I keep for the purposes of checking functionality, and the S&W did hang up with two out of 30 rounds out of that bad mag.  That's three less than my Bushy M4gery choked on.

I've fired XM193, Radway Green M193 "equivalent", Wolf 55 and Wolf 63 with only one case stick issue and it happened on the RG stuff. I collapsed the buttstock and smacked it on the bench seat and the case popped out when the carrier came back. I could not see anything with the case, or anything in the chamber that would have caused the case to stick, and the rest of the session was flawless.

I've not fired HP ammo from it, so I can't comment on functionality of hollow point.
It has been 100% functional on Wolf lacquered case and Wolf poly coated cased ammo.

It has a 5.56 chamber, and the upper and lower are Anchor forgings and the carry handle is made by Cardinal.  

I headspaced it upon bringing it home new and it closed on a GO and didn't on a NO GO set of 5.56 gauges. Now after 500-600 rds it does the same.

There's a little rattly play in the buttstock, but then, so do my Bushies.

I had it out to the range a couple weeks ago, and one of the local State troopers was there with his new Colt 6000-series-whatever-the-f__k-model-number LEO-marked M4geries that PA has approved for them if they want to get one (with their own money). The state sez: "Only these models are approved for patrol use" and the particular Colt LEO-marked M4gery he had is on the short list. He had one or two FTFs or some kind trouble with each of six 30-rd mags fired using Federal American Eagle. I fired off four 30s and three 20s worth of RG through the S&W without issue and he came over to compare the two carbines after I was finished. He seemed favorably impressed.

I can nail claybirds propped up with short 2x4 blocks on the 200 yd berm, offhand. I can hit the 400 yard gong offhand 9/10 or 10/10 depending on what kind of day I'm having. Other folks at the range flip out because I'm not using a scope, and think that it's phenominal shooting. In this part of PA, they have been indoctrinated into thinking that a rifle cannot be fired unless a scope is installed first. They should try shooting this S&W with proper breath and trigger control and they'd understand how phvckin' simple it is to hit with.

When I bought the S&W I was looking for another M4gery because I intend to give my youngest my Bushy M4gery when she turns 18 next summer. The S&W's my keeper to replace the Bushy, and I bought the S&W because I'm a huge longtime S&W revolver fan/collector, and I have a Form 4 approval pending for a S&W M76 subgun.

This one is my rifle.  There are many cheaper, but this one is mine . . .

HTH,

Noah
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top