Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/21/2006 2:12:54 PM EDT
I'm trying to attach my upper and lower receivers for the first time and I'm having some trouble.  I can only get one pin in at a time.  If I slide the front pin through first, I can't get the back pin in, and vice-versa.  

The upper is a Sabre Defence and the lower is Stag Arms.  They are both brand new.  I'm a total noob to ARs so I'm probably doing something wrong.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#1]
you might check and see if the stock tube over laps the into the lower receiver at the top. even if it is slightly over laping it will effect it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I can get the rear pin in if I do it first though.  But then the front pin won't move.  If I do the front pin first, I can't get the rears of the upper and lower the connect properly.  I tried pushing it harder but I don't want to force it and break something... hinking.gif
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#4]
have you checked the stock tube. if the stock was screwed into to lower one turn to many it would still alow you to put one pin in or the other but not both.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#5]
That's possible, does it just screw in and out?  Like to loosen it, do I just turn the stock counter clockwise?  It looks like it might be in too far.  But the gold part that moves back and forth on the spring overlaps into the lower receiver, but isn't it supposed to do that?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#6]
If you put the front pin in and pivot the gun closed, you should be able to see into the rear hole with the help of a flashlight. You'll be able to see where the hole in the lug on the upper receiver lines up with the hole on the lower. This will tell you where you're off.
Then you can tell us.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#7]
If I put the front pin in first, I can't pivot the gun closed.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably not the problem but I'll put this out there just in case. Try taking your bolt carrier out and putting them together. I know that when I do a field cleaning and put my receivers back together the firing pin will slide back and the hammer catches it not allowing the rear pin to close. I just have to tilt the Upper so it is muzzle down so the firing pin sits forward and the receivers can close all the way. So you might want to try tilting the Upper muzzle down and then putting the Lower on or just take the bolt carrier out and try like that.

If this isn't the case then continue trying what the others have mentioned.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Is your hammer cocked?

If not, cock it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#10]
The buffer (the gold thing, in your case) is supposed to stick into the receiver until it hits the buffer retainer and stops.  It will poke into the receiver a little, so that's normal.

Take the bolt and charging handle out (just squeeze the latch and pull back on the charging handle, then drag out the bolt and drop the charging handle down through the notches in the upper receiver to get it out.  Will it close with no bolt and charging handle?  If so, see what's in the way - were they not puched all the way in?  Is the firing pin poking out too far and whacking the top of the hammer?  (My DPMS upper does that if I try to close the upper and lower with the butt on the ground)

ETA: Haha!  We all posted around the same time with the same stuff - must be common.  You guys just type faster than me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#11]
height=8
Quoted:
Probably not the problem but I'll put this out there just in case. Try taking your bolt carrier out and putting them together. I know that when I do a field cleaning and put my receivers back together the firing pin will slide back and the hammer catches it not allowing the rear pin to close. I just have to tilt the Upper so it is muzzle down so the firing pin sits forward and the receivers can close all the way. So you might want to try tilting the Upper muzzle down and then putting the Lower on or just take the bolt carrier out and try like that.

If this isn't the case then continue trying what the others have mentioned.

I tried it, I still couldn't get the front pin in.  Thanks though
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Front goes in first.  Then pivot the rear down until it goes in.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:
The buffer (the gold thing, in your case) is supposed to stick into the receiver until it hits the buffer retainer and stops.  It will poke into the receiver a little, so that's normal.

Take the bolt and charging handle out (just squeeze the latch and pull back on the charging handle, then drag out the bolt and drop the charging handle down through the notches in the upper receiver to get it out.  Will it close with no bolt and charging handle?  If so, see what's in the way - were they not puched all the way in?  Is the firing pin poking out too far and whacking the top of the hammer?  (My DPMS upper does that if I try to close the upper and lower with the butt on the ground)

ETA: Haha!  We all posted around the same time with the same stuff - must be common.  You guys just type faster than me.

I tried that.  Still couldn't get the front pin in.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#14]
height=8
Quoted:
Is your hammer cocked? Yup.  Safe is on also.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Can you get us some pics?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#16]

If I do the front pin first, I can't get the rears of the upper and lower the connect properly. I tried pushing it harder but I don't want to force it and break something...

Been there... done that.

Just as "sutton_2005" said, it sounds like you have the buffer tube one rotation too far. If you put a CAR stock on yourself, that's what it sounds like. The buffer tube should be screwed in just enough to barely hold down the pin, and no further. If you screwed it in so that the pin is all the way in the notch, the rear of the upper and lower will not close all the way. Back out the tube one rotation and see if it will still hold the pin down. If it does, then the upper and lower will close all the way.

I made the same error on my first build.

P.S. Be sure not to back out the buffer too much without holding on to the spring loaded pin, or you will launch it for sure. Also did the same thing on my first build.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#17]
How do I loosen the stock?

It was a pre assembled lower.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#18]
The most obvious hints have been tried, and failed.
With the BCG removed, and pins retracted, put the two parts together as they should be. Look into the holes and check how far off it is.
It has to be hitting on something, or the holes in one of the parts is not machined corretly.
You have look closely at what is going on when you try to close the gun. The problem is right in front of you.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#19]

You would need a stock wrench to do that. Is the pin all the way up in the notch in the buffer tube? Or does it look like the notch is just barely holding down the pin just along the back edge of the pin?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

It was a pre assembled lower.

What kind of stock is it?  If it is an A1/A2 stock like this, you take the top screw out of the butt, slide off the stock body, and loosen the buffer tube:

If it's a carbine or M4 stock like this, you loosen the castle nut, pull back on the locking plate, and unscrew the buffer tube:

To loosen the castle nut without boogering it up, you really need a stock wrench like this:
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:28:40 PM EDT
[#21]
engineer2001,

As a Tennessean, I totally understand what "boogering it up" means.

You're fast with the pics too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#22]
First off, where are you located ? Do you know any other AR15 owners close to you ?

Mike
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#23]
depending on what kind of stock it is. i know there for awhile there was a rumor bout some poorly machined stock tubes the end that screws into the stock was to long allowing the stock tube to hit the upper and not letting the two halfs completely lock together the salution was to back the tube off just enough. No to much where the buffer retaining pin (the pin that holds in the shiny gold thing in) wasnt being held in. but just enough to where it wasn't hitting. if that isnt possilble take it back to where you got it and see what they can do about it. but first if you can get some pics and maybe i can help more by seeing what your looking at.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#24]
height=8
Quoted:
First off, where are you located ? Do you know any other AR15 owners close to you ?

Mike

Charlotte, NC
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#25]
height=8
Quoted:
depending on what kind of stock it is. i know there for awhile there was a rumor bout some poorly machined stock tubes the end that screws into the stock was to long allowing the stock tube to hit the upper and not letting the two halfs completely lock together the salution was to back the tube off just enough. No to much where the buffer retaining pin (the pin that holds in the shiny gold thing in) wasnt being held in. but just enough to where it wasn't hitting. if that isnt possilble take it back to where you got it and see what they can do about it. but first if you can get some pics and maybe i can help more by seeing what your looking at.

It's the M4 stock.

Let me look for my camera, I'll post pics ASAP.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I can call you on my cell for free if you want. I'm in east TN. If you'd like me to call, send me your number via email or IM.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#27]

is this what it looks like
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#28]
sorry pic didnt work
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#29]
I can't find my camera, but I think you guys are right about the stock tube being screwed on too tight.  I'll try taking it to a gun store tomorrow and see if they have one of those wrenches.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I just got back from the gun store.  

The guy there had a stock wrench and he tried loosening the stock and the upper and lower still wouldn't attach properly.  

Then he tried putting his own Bushmaster lower on my upper and it worked perfectly.  

Then he tried putting my lower on his upper and had the same problem.  So the lower receiver is defective, the holes don't line up properly.

I just bought the lower from Del-Ton at a gun show here last weekend.  I'll try contacting them and see what they say.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Ouch!  A new Stag lower that's out of spec?  Let the "Stag is worse than DPMS" rumors begin!

Good luck on getting your lower situation worked out, by the way.  It sucks not being able to use a new weapon because of a defect that's no fault of your own.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah it does suck.  Oh well, everyone makes mistakes.  I just want to get it cleared up ASAP so I can fire this thing
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#33]
I just heard back from both Del Ton and Stag Arms.

Stag Arms said I could mail them the lower receiver and they will remanufacture it with the same serial number.

Del Ton said I could send it back to them and they will replace it, or I can meet up with them at another gun show in Greensboro, NC.

I'll probably end up exchanging it with Del Ton because they're not too far from where I live so it will be faster.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:12:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Hope all turns out

Mike
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Wow this is a pain in the ass.

I just realized that since they'll be sending me a new lower, I have to go through the background check nonsense again.  But I can't find any FFLs in the area who will do it for less than $40.  One guy wants $65!  So now I have to pay $40 extra for something that should have worked in the first place.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Just send it back to Stag and get a new one with the same serial number.  No FFL needed, right?  You are allowed to ship your own firearm in for repair and receive it back.

That should be a lot cheaper, even if Stag won't pay the S/H.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Wouldn't the lower have to go through an FFL though since it's going thru state lines?

Also, they said the receiver would be "remanufactured".  What exactly does that mean?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#38]
The lower would not need to go through an FFL since it's going from you to mfg, back to you, for repair.

What they will probably do is make another lower with your current serial # and destroy the defective one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, ship it back to Stag. They'll send you a new one, direct, no FFL needed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#40]
My RRA upper needed help seating properly on my RRA lower.  A little grease on the rear lug and some judicious tapping on the rear of the upper got it in enough to let the takedown pin seat.  After a few cycles of this, the guy I bought the lower from got it so it was TIGHT but workable.  Now, after quite a few openings and closings, it's like butter.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Yeah, no FFL needed if it's already your lower and you're going to get it worked on.  In this case, they're going to destroy your lower (or use it to figure out what went wrong behind the scenes, while saying they destroyed it) and make you another one that is (hopefully) in-spec with the same serial number.  You aren't buying a new lower - it's the same one, according to the serial number, so no NICS check and no FFL needed.

Oh, GHPorter, this is less a tight fit issue and more a "holes are too far apart for both pins to fit" issue.  The holes were drilled in the wrong spots (or at least one of them was) by Stag.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Ahh I see.  Cool thanks everyone.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
The holes were drilled in the wrong spots (or at least one of them was) by Stag.
Wow!  That's quite odd for them.

It's apparently pretty common for RRA receivers to fit REALLY tight like mine did.  But having one of the pin holes wrong is just plain weird!
Link Posted: 10/1/2006 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#44]
I just got my new lower receiver back from Stag a couple days ago and it's all good.  BUT, I ordered an upper from Leitner Wise and they sent me the wrong one!  I ordered the regular version and they sent me the more expensive version with the rail.  So I am waiting for the right upper and a shipping label to get here so I can send it back to them.  Nothing but bad luck with this rifle...
Link Posted: 10/1/2006 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Hey, at least you got the Stag lower straightened out?  Did it end up costing you anything to get it fixed other than time and frustration?  Were the holes just in the wrong spots?  
Link Posted: 10/1/2006 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I just got my new lower receiver back from Stag a couple days ago and it's all good.  BUT, I ordered an upper from Leitner Wise and they sent me the wrong one!  I ordered the regular version and they sent me the more expensive version with the rail.  So I am waiting for the right upper and a shipping label to get here so I can send it back to them.  Nothing but bad luck with this rifle...

did they charge you for the more expensive one ?

Mike
Link Posted: 10/2/2006 6:33:35 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Hey, at least you got the Stag lower straightened out?  Did it end up costing you anything to get it fixed other than time and frustration?  Were the holes just in the wrong spots?  

Yeah I think the holes were just drilled incorrectly.  It just cost me the shipping to send it back to them, and it took a few weeks to get the new one, but the new one is perfect.
Link Posted: 10/2/2006 6:34:05 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

did they charge you for the more expensive one ?

Mike

No they charged me for the regular one and sent me the more expensive one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2006 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Yeah I think the holes were just drilled incorrectly.  It just cost me the shipping to send it back to them, and it took a few weeks to get the new one, but the new one is perfect.

That is BS customer service right there.    They made a paper weight, and you had to pay extra to get it replaced with a working lower?  

I WAS going to get a Stag lower, but now I don't know.  They should have sent you a label to get free shipping (on their dime) or given you your shipping cost back or at least some kind of "oops, sorry about that, bud" free gift to make up for it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2006 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#50]
This isn't the first time I've heard of Stag lowers being off.  I have one and it is real tight.  I need to tap on the rear takedown pin to close it and open it.  I can barely get it started by hand.  I'm sure once I start firing it, it will break in and loosen up a bit.  Kind of a PITA since I need to break it open to reload it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top