Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/2/2006 6:46:09 PM EDT
I just received my AR-15 from RRA and need a case for it. The case it shipped in requires you to remove the upper and the optics. Good for shipping but not daily use.

What are the pros and cons of hard cases vs soft cases?  I thought the hard would be better for protection but then I see a lot of people using soft.

Thanks
Don

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I use both, depending on the firearm.  My hunting rifle - M70 30.06 with Leupold, which is extremely accurate stays in a hard case most of the year, for a little extra protection for the zero and finish of the rifle.  Utility long guns, like the 870 and AR use soft cases, if anything.  However, if you were going to create a precision rifle with fine-tuned optics, or are, for some reason, super concerned about finish - go with the hard case.  For transportation, range use, and convenience, though, I prefer soft cases.  I'm currently using the Tactical Tailor Covert Carry Case for my Colt LE6920.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#2]

don,

see my post with pics about half way down the following thread:
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=449181

regards,
ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the soft case because my car isn't exactly roomy.  And it has a strap to where it like a backpack :)

Soft cases usually have more separate pockets for mags/accessories.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#4]
THere is a never ending debate on which case is better; is all a matter of what you are looking in a case.

I have two choices in terms of case choices; I do not have either, so that will make me somewhat unbiased in my opinion.

In the HARD CASE corner, I have the Pelican Tactical Case (1700):

The case case has a MIL C-4150J (Military Standard) and an IP-67 (Ingress Protection) Certification; making the case certified for military use by the US military and by NATO.

The Case is certified by the ATA (Air Transportation Association) for Airline transport use, so you can use it to travel with your AR15 around the country (as long as the rifle is stored in the cargo hull).

It is watertight, neutrally buoyant (it'll float for those of you in Rio Linda) and will take a beating without damaging the contents (say, knock the zero out of your rifle scope).

The 1700 is a good for an AR-15 (16 inch) and the 1600 is good if you choose to break the rifle down in two parts to save space. As with all Pelican cases, if you break it, they will replace it, no questions asked.

In the SOFT CASE Corner I have the Blackhawk Industries Homeland Security Tactical Case.

The case is made of tough Cordura Nylon, removable .375 inch closed cell foam padding, full 360 degree padding, full wrap around carry handles, #9 YKK zippers with silent zipper pulls, detachable shoulder strap and HawkTex shoulder pad.

The middle of the case has two rows of BTS webbing and has fully expandable hook & loop wrap keepers for any rifle with accessories such as scopes, lights, lasers, rail mounts, etc.

The top section has an accesory compartment with Velcro that you can attach mag/accesory pouches via hook/loop fasteners.

Now, one choice people would opt for would be to have BOTH a Hard Case (for Airline Transport) and a Soft Case (for range purposes); You can have a Pelican (or similar style) as an outer case, to protect the rifle while on transport and have the soft case (like a BHI HST) as an inner case, to take the weapon from the hotel room to the range (say, you are going to the Thunder Ranch and you stay in a hotel outside oif the complex).

Again, I don't have wither product (I have a MOLLE Tactical Cae), but since the HARD/SOFT Case combo is common for the SF Guys (Part of the SOPMOD Kit), it makes sense to have something like that as well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Soft case is the easiet way to transport your rifle.  Hard cases are bulky and awkward.  Transportation other than from your home to range and back in your car such as airport baggage claim, hunting trip, war zone, etc... would require a hard sided case.

You should not store your gun in any case as it will trap moisture (especially between the foam) which is bad (as in not good).
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't use cases for my ARs.  I just don't see the need.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Blackhawk 40" homeland cases. They work for me.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Soft case is the easiet way to transport your rifle.  Hard cases are bulky and awkward.  Transportation other than from your home to range and back in your car such as airport baggage claim, hunting trip, war zone, etc... would require a hard sided case.

You should not store your gun in any case as it will trap moisture (especially between the foam) which is bad (as in not good).

the bottom line.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#9]
i-shot case to the ranges...

storm case while flying.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a cheap hard case I got for $15, fits 2 rifles.  I shoot/clean a few times a week, so I don't worry about trapping moisture/rusting in the foam/case.  

YES they will cause your AR to rust...my buddy left his in a similar case for about 6 months as he was busy being a Marine.  Came home on leave and he had to clean rust off the steel parts.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I use a cheap hard case I got for $15, fits 2 rifles.  I shoot/clean a few times a week, so I don't worry about trapping moisture/rusting in the foam/case.  

YES they will cause your AR to rust...my buddy left his in a similar case for about 6 months as he was busy being a Marine.  Came home on leave and he had to clean rust off the steel parts.

A bag of dessicant would've prevented that. WHich reminds me, gotta go clean the surface corrosion I have on my shotgun barrel. DAMN!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top