Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 12:41:25 PM EDT
I am about to buy my first AR, but I only have about $850-900 to spend at this point. I want something with a 16" barrel, flat top, and a free-float rail handguard. I'm guessing to go for a Bushy or something pre-assembled, but I am a lefty shooter... what should I do about eating brass?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The brass deflector should "eat it" for you.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a lefty and own a Bushmaster M4-A3, and shoot it left handed. I've never eaten brass. don't worry about it
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I am a lefty. Not a problem. I also have a SP1 without a brass deflector.....still no problem.

Look here.Stag Arms LH upper. Pretty cool.

LH upper for $500-$550.

You could do it in your price range.

jj
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got a brand new Stag 2L 16" flattop lefty rifle for $800 shipped from Joseph Kiser on the EE.  I like it!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a lefty and have never had a problem with 5 different Bushies.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am about to buy my first AR, but I only have about $850-900 to spend at this point. I want something with a 16" barrel, flat top, and a free-float rail handguard. I'm guessing to go for a Bushy or something pre-assembled, but I am a lefty shooter... what should I do about eating brass?

Dont even think about going with a Stag lefty. Im sure they work great, but they also have lefty bolt assembly. IMO no point in getting a rifle without standard parts. The standard AR is perfectly fine. Ive been shooting right handed semi-autos for over 20 years, and not once have I been hit with the ejecting brass. The brass deflector does work.  Even the HK91, HK94, and AKs Ive shot arent a problem.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm a lefty and own a Bushmaster M4-A3, and shoot it left handed. I've never eaten brass. don't worry about it

What he said^
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Dont even think about going with a Stag lefty. Im sure they work great, but they also have lefty bolt assembly. IMO no point in getting a rifle without standard parts. The standard AR is perfectly fine.  

Why shouldn't he think about a lefty? Parts are readily available and will be as long as lefties buy them.

Would you steer a buyer away from a large pin Colt if they wanted one?  Those are non-standard.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a lefty too and I shoot a standard AR's, I've got a rifle and a carbine and have never had a case hit me or bother me in any way.  The Stag left handed AR's are nice, but if they ever go out of business you're hosed on parts.  My advice is to stick with the standard right handed AR.  Either put an ambi safety on it or swap the stock one around to the left side if it will.  The mag release is fine and the charging handle isn't any better or worse for a lefty than it is for a righty.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#10]
If Stag (Owned by CMT) goes down, lots of companies won't have parts either. Unless they source from other companies.

If Stag decides not to make lefty upper parts, Just buy righty upper parts and adapt. I have no problem with this if I had to.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Dont even think about going with a Stag lefty.

I've noticed you poo-pooing the whole idea of a left-handed AR on a couple of threads now- what gives?

You have this attitude- quite hostile to innovation and improvement, in my opinion- which seems to be either a case of "I don't mind it, so why should you?", or even "I didn't need it, so it's a bad idea.".

Needless to say- to most people, at least- if more lefties were to adopt that kind of mentality, there wouldn't be any lefty or ambi products available. I guess because you don't approve, that he or I should stick to using the hand that is less co-ordinated than my dominant hand because you do. I guess we should all be using flintlocks- after all, those guys had no trouble with them, so why should we?

Why shouldn't he get one? They're good enough for the US government to begin supplying to the estimated 17% of people who are left-handed. Why is it such a bad idea to you if people who do it for a living think it's a good idea? Screw that- they're great. Stag makes great arms, and these are no different.

Here's my two Stag 3HLs...neither one of them has ever sent a piece of brass past my face, and why should they ever?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/Tripleneck/DSCF0489.jpg
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Dont even think about going with a Stag lefty.

I've noticed you poo-pooing the whole idea of a left-handed AR on a couple of threads now- what gives?

You have this attitude- quite hostile to innovation and improvement, in my opinion- which seems to be either a case of "I don't mind it, so why should you?", or even "I didn't need it, so it's a bad idea.".

Needless to say- to most people, at least- if more lefties were to adopt that kind of mentality, there wouldn't be any lefty or ambi products available. I guess because you don't approve, that he or I should stick to using the hand that is less co-ordinated than my dominant hand because you do. I guess we should all be using flintlocks- after all, those guys had no trouble with them, so why should we?

Why shouldn't he get one? They're good enough for the US government to begin supplying to the estimated 17% of people who are left-handed. Why is it such a bad idea to you if people who do it for a living think it's a good idea? Screw that- they're great. Stag makes great arms, and these are no different.

Here's my two Stag 3HLs...neither one of them has ever sent a piece of brass past my face, and why should they ever?

i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/Tripleneck/DSCF0489.jpg

I've been waiting for someone to say that to him.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Well why didn't anyone say it? There's plenty of guys who've stated that they are comfortable as they are, or don't see the need etc., but that guy gets downright bent about a product that an awful lot of us seem to appreciate immensely.

Oh well- we all have our sensitivities. hanks
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:30:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Stag.

A lefty has only a few different parts than a righty.

And as someone said, if Stag stops making parts, you won't be finding any RRA and Colt parts either, along with a lot of other compaanies.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Well why didn't anyone say it? There's plenty of guys who've stated that they are comfortable as they are, or don't see the need etc., but that guy gets downright bent about a product that an awful lot of us seem to appreciate immensely.

Oh well- we all have our sensitivities.

BTW, Thanks for serving!

ME??? Go read the other threads,far from "downright bent". I, like 99.9999% of the lefties who own ARs see no point in having a dedicated lefty AR.  If you want a lefty Stag then go ahead and get one! I would bet they are excellent products, I havent heard anyone say anything bad about em.  

I have found in my own experience (as well as every other lefty I know) that shooting the standard AR is fine. IMO I dont see the point in getting a rifle requiring lefty parts when something that is standard works just as good.  Im all for rifle parts that make life easier for lefties, Im not for rifles that DO NOT make life easier for lefties, and IMO the dedicated lefty rifles like the ones from Stag and DPMS do not.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dont even think about going with a Stag lefty. Im sure they work great, but they also have lefty bolt assembly. IMO no point in getting a rifle without standard parts. The standard AR is perfectly fine.  

Why shouldn't he think about a lefty? Parts are readily available and will be as long as lefties buy them.

Would you steer a buyer away from a large pin Colt if they wanted one?  Those are non-standard.

Why? The same reason why I would suggest buying an AR in the first place. I could have gotten an AR, FN_FAL, AUG, AK, FNC, and a whole slew of other rifles. I narrowed it down to an AR for a reason.

I big reason I got the AR is since it is the most common, and should be the easiest to get parts for. Should another ban on parts importation happen, this will probably remain the easiest to get parts for. Let me know how easy it would be to get lefty parts should Stag stop making the lefty rifles. I know first hand what its like to buy an oddball gun and have its production stopped. I got a Polytech AK-223. It was great when I got it, and now it sucks ass. Paid $350, now its worth over $1,200. Cant get mags, bolts, carrier, or barrel. If any one of these parts break Im screwed.

Some day the guy with the lefty Stag may be saying the same. I know its unlikely, probably will never happen. And you would probably be right in thinking that. I didnt think the parts for my AK would EVER become hard to get either.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I've never had any lefty additions, including selectors or mag releases.  I think they're good ideas though, and the Stag lefties are a cool idea.

That being said, I never have a problem shooting FALs, AKs, HK rollerlocks, Garands, M1As, Mini14s, etc.  It's funny, I've never shot an AR without a brass deflector though.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#19]

If you want a lefty Stag then go ahead and get one!

Um...did you read my post? I have two.

I, like 9.9999% of the lefties who own ARs see no point

See? Less than ten percent of you don't see the point!

Seriously- now I'm just yankin' your chain a little...there's lefty Remington 700s in use by sniper units around the world, lefty Steyr AUGs deployed around the world, lefty Browning A-Bolts...lefty Benelli shotguns...lefty guns do make things better for lefties- that's why we buy them. Maybe not all of us find them more advantageous, but to argue against their basic efficacy is a little stoopid™.

I've only ever had pistol brass actually bother me- still, go shoot a lefty Stag and experience what it's like to have the rifle work they way it does for righties before you dismiss it out of hand on general principle.

Obviously since we're not talking about some silly boutique conversion of combloc junk by one criminal ChiCom-run death-merchant offshore maker (we're talking about modern CNC-machined items produced in runs of thousands with an eye towards military usage), future parts availability is not an issue. Maybe you're just a knucklehead for not stocking up when you had the chance. I've already bought more bolts, carriers, and barrel extensions than I'll ever need- it's a real simple way of ensuring that I don't run out of parts. Everything else being interchangable with a right-handed gun means I'm all set.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:23:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:28:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I, like 9.9999% of the lefties who own ARs see no point in having a dedicated lefty AR.  If you want a lefty Stag then go ahead and get one! I would bet they are excellent products, I havent heard anyone say anything bad about em.  

quote]

Put a suppressor on there and you might see the point hey
My .02
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If you want a lefty Stag then go ahead and get one!

Um...did you read my post? I have two.

I, like 9.9999% of the lefties who own ARs see no point

See? Less than ten percent of you don't see the point!

Seriously- now I'm just yankin' your chain a little...there's lefty Remington 700s in use by sniper units around the world, lefty Steyr AUGs deployed around the world, lefty Browning A-Bolts...lefty Benelli shotguns...lefty guns do make things better for lefties- that's why we buy them. Maybe not all of us find them more advantageous, but to argue against their basic efficacy is a little stoopid™.

I've only ever had pistol brass actually bother me- still, go shoot a lefty Stag and experience what it's like to have the rifle work they way it does for righties before you dismiss it out of hand on general principle.

Obviously since we're not talking about some silly boutique conversion of combloc junk by one criminal ChiCom-run death-merchant offshore maker (we're talking about modern CNC-machined items produced in runs of thousands with an eye towards military usage), future parts availability is not an issue. Maybe you're just a knucklehead for not stocking up when you had the chance.

I've already bought more bolts, carriers, and barrel extensions than I'll ever need- it's a real simple way of ensuring that I don't run out of parts. Everything else being interchangable with a right-handed gun means I'm all set.

Im not talking about lefty Remington 700s, Benelli shotgns or Browning A-Bolts. You should have read the rest of that sentence,  " I, like 99.9999% of the lefties who own ARs see no point in having a dedicated lefty AR".

Ive shot lefty bolt actions, and yes those do make a difference for lefties, IMO lefty ARs dont. Like I said in my post, I am all for parts that make life easier for leftys, I AM NOT for lefty rifles that DO NOT make life easier for lefties.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#23]
OK, obviously we've dispensed with the silly "Parts availability" portion of your argument. This is more than foolish, but I'll bite...

In your opinion (which is all you seem to be able to cite), why do lefty Bolt guns make life easier for lefties, but not lefty ARs?

See, if you're going to raise the example of your poorly-made Polytech as an example of why non-standardized guns/lefty ARs are "unnecessary", or "don't help lefties", then you can take a shot at dismissing the examples of the popular and sucessful guns I cited. You can't do it- you know why? Because they exist. That's right- people buy them.

Now aside from the fact that you (inadvertently) said "9.9999%" (it's not my reading skills that are the problem here he
So... parts issue? Done.

Non-compatibility? Only three different parts. Done.

Useless (or how ever you want to put it) to lefties?

Maybe we can find some sales figures to convince you that lefties do in fact like this gun as they like A-Bolts, Rem 700s, and Benellis made for lefties. Stag wouldn't be making them if they weren't selling them.

By the way, I might sell one of my 3HLs (or trade for a Kimber Desert Warrior), if anyone is interested!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#24]
+100000  I think that the gas in the face is worse than brass flying by. I have a colt and a stag L and I like the stag more.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I, like 9.9999% of the lefties who own ARs see no point in having a dedicated lefty AR.  If you want a lefty Stag then go ahead and get one! I would bet they are excellent products, I havent heard anyone say anything bad about em.  

quote]

Put a suppressor on there and you might see the point
And yes they are.  I love my lefty M4gery.  I guess I just gotta be me
My .02

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Quoted:

quote]

Put a suppressor on there and you might see the point
And yes they are.  I love my lefty M4gery.  I guess I just gotta be me
My .02

I'll even go one further. John Holliger at WOA has built me 3 uppers and of the 3, 2 are STAG lefties. John is a real stickler when it comes to parts and the STAG lefties are as good as it gets, both in accuracy and longevity. I'd put it to you like this.........If STAG part weren't first rate, WOA wouldn't sell it. John is a hell of NRA Highpower shooter who happens to be one of the best AR gunsmith in the country.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#26]
IF you're a lefty and go for a LH Stag, sure worry about extra parts.

Buy an extra bolt, bolt carrier and charging handle.

Problem solved.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:50:53 PM EDT
[#27]
The charging handle is  the same as a righty- you're giving advice without knowing what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:05:39 AM EDT
[#28]
I find it funny that many right-handers are more open to the lefty rifle than some stubborn left handers! Unfortunately for them, they are so set in thier ways they won't even allow themselves to try one, since they already have a negative bias towards it.

I've NEVER met or came across a LH Stag owner who said they didn't love thier gun (myself included) or wish they had purchased a righthand model instead.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top