Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 11:57:50 AM EDT
I have searched this forum and read through a lot of threads.  I now am ready to start the planning and building of an AR15.  I want this build to be CA legal, so its a lot more trouble.  I know just the bare basics of building an AR15 at this time but I would appreciate any advice and input.

Which part of the AR15 should I need to make sure its CA legal?  Is it the whole lower assembly or the stripped receiver?  Can I buy a complete rifle kit (less stripped receiver) from del-ton or Model 1 and add a stripped receiver from a local gun shop?  The people at both places really don't seem to care I want it CA legal before they ship it.  I wasn't sure if the "fixed magazine" is lower assembly or just the stripped receiver dependant.  

Also is there a place other than Model1 or Del ton that sells these kits?  I want to be able to upgrade the trigger group.  Can I buy a CA legal stripped receiver online and have it shipped to an FFL?  Thanks people.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Try the California hometown forums. You would probably get a better response than this one.

www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=11
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Check the "tacked" thread at the top of this forum.
Then check AR/AK forum at CalGuns
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, i read the tacked CA thread.  It looks like its just the stripped receiver, but I get mixed messages when i read around.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Leave california.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Move out of the People's Republic of Kalifornia and move to a Gun-Friendly state.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn, the last two guys beat me to the punchline.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Worry about buying a non-listed stripped AR lower receiver before you do anything else.

Check availabilty here: www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Once you purchase, DROS(CA paperwork) and complete the 10 day waiting period.  Before you do anything to the stripped lower, fix a 10 round mag to it to release you from illegally constructing a "assault weapon" banned in CA.

You can buy a fixed mag "kit" here: www.sportingconversions.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=1044

Several companies make 10 round mags, I never had a problem with my Bushmaster 10rd. www.bushmaster.com/shopping/magazines/8448670-10.asp

Once you do all that, do your research on this board and www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php and decide what parts you want and install them.  Your post say's to me, "I know what I want, but want you to figure out what will please me" ,and only you will know, be prepared for lots of trail and error.

But really man, read the: calguns non-listed AR/AK lower FAQ, it gets tiresome re-typing the info in that FAQ for the next guy that comes along.  If you don't understand exactly what's going on, don't do it! You may end up with illegal weapon charges.

Best of luck!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yes, i read the tacked CA thread.  It looks like its just the stripped receiver, but I get mixed messages when i read around.

Yes, a stripped receiver is still a firearm and needs to be shipped through an FFL.  They are legal in stripped form as long as they do not appear on any of the DOJ lists.

The trouble though is finding an California FFL that will do this transfer.  People are very skittish about these things and most, you will find, will not touch it.  There are a few that will, but they are not easy to find.

I suggest you visit calguns.net and read there.  Lots more info than you'll find here.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, a stripped receiver is still a firearm and needs to be shipped through an FFL.  They are legal in stripped form as long as they do not appear on any of the DOJ lists.

The trouble though is finding an California FFL that will do this transfer.  People are very skittish about these things and most, you will find, will not touch it.  There are a few that will, but they are not easy to find.

I suggest you visit calguns.net and read there.  Lots more info than you'll find here.

At the beginning of the non-listed AR stripped buying frenzy, no FFL in San Diego would do the transfer, so I had to drive from San Diego to Riverside twice and San Diego to L.A. twice.

Nowadays in most CA areas including San Diego there are more dealers willing to do the transfer, even for non-listed AK receivers and non-listed .308 AR stripped lowers.

If you want it bad enough, you'll do what it takes to get it.  It would help us help you(the person hunting for non-listed AR lowers) if you put or state what city in CA you live in so someone can IM some FFLs.  The consensus is: If you do the footwork and locate a receiver for cost plus dealer fees, it may save you a couple bucks, if you rather...some dealers stock non-listed lowers at a reasonable mark-up all things considered, you come in, buy it and pick it up 10 day laters.  The choice is your's.  But, time is not on your side, the CA DOJ will add these lowers to the banned list any day now, if your's insn't in the state of CA when that happens, you're screwed game over, thanks for playing...you get nothing.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Move from CA
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Worry about buying a non-listed stripped AR lower receiver before you do anything else.

Check availabilty here: www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Once you purchase, DROS(CA paperwork) and complete the 10 day waiting period.  Before you do anything to the stripped lower, fix a 10 round mag to it to release you from illegally constructing a "assault weapon" banned in CA.

You can buy a fixed mag "kit" here: www.sportingconversions.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=1044

Several companies make 10 round mags, I never had a problem with my Bushmaster 10rd. www.bushmaster.com/shopping/magazines/8448670-10.asp

Once you do all that, do your research on this board and www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php and decide what parts you want and install them.  Your post say's to me, "I know what I want, but want you to figure out what will please me" ,and only you will know, be prepared for lots of trail and error.

But really man, read the: calguns non-listed AR/AK lower FAQ, it gets tiresome re-typing the info in that FAQ for the next guy that comes along.  If you don't understand exactly what's going on, don't do it! You may end up with illegal weapon charges.

Best of luck!

Right here is what you need to read. Heed this mans advice.

Cliff notes: Buy an off list lower, affix 10 rd. fixed mag kit, add any features you want, any upper you want, in any configuration (still at least 16" bbl or 14.5 with perm. attached FH to make it the legal 16 inches), and happy shooting.

When, and if the time comes, the off list lower gets banned, register it as a legal assault rifle, get paper work, remove fixed kit, and have fun with detachable mags.

Worse case scenario: you have a kick ass top-loading 10 rd. AR.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Ditto, on reading the FAQ at calguns. It may seem harsh at first when it seems the first posts are beaten down for not searching or reading the FAQ's. It may seem like we aren't welcoming any new purchasers of the off list lowers, but trust me there is safety in numbers - the more that join in the better. It is just that, if not built within what the law permits, and in the right sequence, you may unknownlingly be committing  a felony. You don't want to be a test case.

With that said, welcome to the off list lowers clubP.S. you probably will want to post these CA specific questions either at CA hometown, or at Calguns. (after reading and searching of course)
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the replies.  I am still learning.  I am going to build a 762x39 AR, so I know I need a matching upper assembly, but do any of the other parts need to be set for this caliber?  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top