Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/25/2006 12:50:12 PM EDT
After hearing for the last 2 years that bumpfiring is a waste of time and ammo, I thought I would produce a definitive HOW-To guide on my technique. I developed this technique myself although it may be similiar to other techniques employed by other range demons. An Army Cpl. who just returned from Iraq walked over to me with a huge smile on his face and thought I had a real M16 until I explained that it was only a trick.

With this technique, I can shoot my AR almost like it is a real MG. And I have fired real M16s and am well aware what it's like.

First thing I should mention is that you must either have a VFG mounted close the mag well, or use the magwell itself to support the rifle.

Start off by shouldering your rifle, elbows drawn in. Now, hold the entire weight of the rifle with your support hand by either the VFG or the magwell. Let the pistol grip go but keep your finger tip on the trigger. Your hand should still be wrapped around the grip, but your fingers should not be touching it and the only part that should be really touching the pistol grip is the pad on your palm just below the trigger finger.

Next, pull the rifle foward about 1" from your shoulder, so your trigger finger bends slightly and puts a small amount of tension on the trigger.

It's going to get a little tricky from here. Take aim, and gently pull the rifle foward with your support hand. The gun will fire, and it will kind of "ride" back and forth against your trigger finger, which you must not move or else it will not work. You have to get a feel for it and just let it "ride".

Now to learn how to control it.

I can keep most of the rounds of a 30 round mag dump in about a 10ft in diameter imaginary ring on the ground. But I can also do bursts. Using the method described above, let your finger slip off the trigger on the foward stroke of the rifle. It is kind of hard to time this but it merely takes a while to get the hang of it. It doesn't have to be exact, but this is the standard I set comparable to simply letting the trigger go on a real-deal MG.

The only real downside is that with me, sometimes, the ROF starts out slow and will pick up. On a 30 round mag dump it might start out somewhere around 500rpm and then half way though it will sound like nearly 1000rpm.

Since each person is different, I imagine that you my have to tweak my method to make it work for you.

Please try this and let me know how it worked for you. If anything isn't clear, say so and I will clearify.

Good luck!

Videos
Click here to watch Short Video
Click here to watch Long Video

My hammer springs are in need of replacement. Thats why the first round didn't fire. Threw me out of my funk at first.

I hope my videos help.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#2]
This thread is worthless without video!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I plain on pics and video, but it cannot happen for another week or so so I didn't want to mention it now. I will just update and bump it then I guess.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#4]
hope nobody sees me tag this
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Bumpfiring is wrong! I refuse to tag this thread.

jj
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#6]
pics will be added later today.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
hope nobody sees me tag this

Hope he knows he can't tag...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for sharing your technique!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:47:59 PM EDT
[#11]
tag?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can keep most of the rounds of a 30 round mag dump in about a 10ft in diameter imaginary ring on the ground.

What does that translate out to on a torso size target, and from what distance?

from about 25m. A torso sized target will generally have 10 - 15 holes in it. The last time I did it, I shot at a dishwaser from about 25m and there was more than 10 hits. I know it's not as good as a real M16, but it's good enough for me.

If a group of BGs was rushing my position, I am confident that I could tear them up.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thanks.

pics will be up soon
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can keep most of the rounds of a 30 round mag dump in about a 10ft in diameter imaginary ring on the ground.

What does that translate out to on a torso size target, and from what distance?

from about 25m. A torso sized target will generally have 10 - 15 holes in it. The last time I did it, I shot at a dishwaser from about 25m and there was more than 10 hits. I know it's not as good as a real M16, but it's good enough for me.

If a group of BGs was rushing my position, I am confident that I could tear them up.

If we are ever attacked by a group of unruly dish washer this would be a good way to deal with them.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#16]
bump w/ edit
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Dude, get the video up! I don't care about all "bump firing is useless" e.t.c. After all, it is YOUR gun and it is YOUR ammo and it is up to you how to use / spend it (as long as it is safe for enyone who could be around). Personally, I can't afford 10K+ on MG, and I don't  see anything wrong with folks trying to emulate it. If guys here will pick on you to much, please send video to me. Good shooting and keep it safe!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Dude, get the video up! I don't care about all "bump firing is useless" e.t.c. After all, it is YOUR gun and it is YOUR ammo and it is up to you how to use / spend it (as long as it is safe for enyone who could be around). Personally, I can't afford 10K+ on MG, and I don't  see anything wrong with folks trying to emulate it. If guys here will pick on you to much, please send video to me. Good shooting and keep it safe!

I'm going to have to wait until next weekend to even film the video.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Please, make sure you will get a good view on a way you holding a rifle (most bump-firing videos are useless, since they  do not show the real technique, but just a generic view from a distance that does not allow for other folks to learn anything from it).
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Guy with the wooden bump firing device was better.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Please, make sure you will get a good view on a way you holding a rifle (most bump-firing videos are useless, since they  do not show the real technique, but just a generic view from a distance that does not allow for other folks to learn anything from it).

I definatly plan on it.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I started bumpfiring with Wolf ammo and thats mostly all I ever use.

But I picked up some Win Q3131 (not A) and it made bumping super easy, but harder to control. It also eliminated the variable ROF.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Ok mods, you can lock and trash the topic then. Something better exists.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well damn
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I was being sarcastic.

probably shoulda added a smiley.

What I really meant was "I don't fucking care if the wodden thingie is better. The wooden thingy looks fucking gay. And people that use it look fucking gay."

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I was being sarcastic.

What I really meant was "I don't fucking care if the wodden thingie is better. The wooden thingy looks fucking gay. And people that use it look fucking gay."

Whats that you were saying?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was being sarcastic.

i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/jciiv/pic2.jpg

Whats that you were saying?

I fail to see how that looks gay, my pinkie isn't extended or anything.

Did I beat you up in middle school or something and don't remember? Because I didn't do a damn thing to you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Here you go.  Maybe this will tide you over until 20iner gets his up..............

Bumpfire videos

20iner, great job on the pics!  You nailed the grip (or lack thereof) very nicely.  They mirror mine almost exactly.  

As for the technique, I have come to realize lately that what I'm doing is not "Bumpfiring" in the traditional sense.  I think I should call my method "Bounce Firing" as I'm not pulling forward on the weapon with my off hand at all.  I am bouncing the rifle off my shoulder.  As you can see in the mag change clip, the rifle is shouldered and fired in one smooth motion with no fumbling around with the grip and stance.  The ROF on the weapon is also constant (over 900rpm).  

To all you "bumpfiring is stupid" people, come to Vegas.  I will put a M-16 in your hands and I will shoot my semi.  9mm or 5.56, it doesn't matter.  Pick you course.  I will match you shot for shot....or should I say, burst for burst.  I will even agree to not shoot anything less than 3 rounds bumping per target engaged.  If I single, I lose.

Any takers?  No?  Then STFU!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Bumpfire videos

Niiiiice
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I can see up your nose in that one pick.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Hi 20iner,  Thanks for the cool info!  I will try it tomorrow out in the desert!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:12:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
hr

Here you go.  Maybe this will tide you over until 20iner gets his up..............

Bumpfire videos

20iner, great job on the pics!  You nailed the grip (or lack thereof) very nicely.  They mirror mine almost exactly.  

As for the technique, I have come to realize lately that what I'm doing is not "Bumpfiring" in the traditional sense.  I think I should call my method "Bounce Firing" as I'm not pulling forward on the weapon with my off hand at all.  I am bouncing the rifle off my shoulder.  As you can see in the mag change clip, the rifle is shouldered and fired in one smooth motion with no fumbling around with the grip and stance.  The ROF on the weapon is also constant (over 900rpm).  

To all you "bumpfiring is stupid" people, come to Vegas.  I will put a M-16 in your hands and I will shoot my semi.  9mm or 5.56, it doesn't matter.  Pick you course.  I will match you shot for shot....or should I say, burst for burst.  I will even agree to not shoot anything less than 3 rounds bumping per target engaged.  If I single, I lose.

Any takers?  No?  Then STFU!

Could you explain that better? Are you pushing back with your shoulder or just trying to keep it tighter? Do you use the same trigger finger technique as bump firing? Just wondering how it works.

20iner, good job. I'm going to have to try this on an open range sometime.

By the way, is this legal?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:41:27 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

[SNIP]

By the way, is this legal?

Sure.

but I'd bet it would drive the local ATF Agent to drink!!  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:39:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Great pictures and instructions...anticipating the video :)  Don't let the haters get to you man...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:32:15 AM EDT
[#37]

Rickinvegas is the bumpfire king!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:37:55 AM EDT
[#38]
And which triggers have you guys got, 20in & Rick?  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:09:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Thank you for sharing and taking the time to post this.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:03:24 AM EDT
[#40]
tag....sssshhhhh
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:05:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#42]
tag because hip-firing spray-and-pray made-for-killing evil machine guns make Elmer Fudd cry
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
And which triggers have you guys got, 20in & Rick?  

I have a stock Bushmaster trigger with the 15 minute trigger job. Although I think I could do it on just about any trigger.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:23:06 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Agreed. Could you share your technique Rick?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#45]
I've got a stock Bushmaster single stage trigger that won't bump to save my life.   I tried replacing the stock springs with JP reduced power springs and had much better results ***but*** the lighter hammer strike wouldn't reliably function all ammo.  Ammo with hard primers sometimes wouldn't fire.

If bumpfiring is something you want to master, I recommend getting a nice aftermarket single stage trigger with a light to medium light trigger pull (2 - 4 1/2 lbs.)  I couldn't comment on two-stage trigggers since I don't have one for my AR, but I hear a Rock River National Match two-stage trigger will work well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed. Could you share your technique Rick?

I'll bring loaded mags.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#47]

but I hear a Rock River National Match two-stage trigger will work well.

Anyone have luck bumping with a RRA NM two-stage.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

but I hear a Rock River National Match two-stage trigger will work well.

Anyone have luck bumping with a RRA NM two-stage.  

Its been done.  But I SWEAR it wasn't me.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#49]
tag
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top