Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/9/2006 12:16:38 PM EDT
Can someone instruct me as to the proper way to remove the front sling loop.  I am going to use a single point sling on my new AR and would like to remove the front sling loop because it rattles too much.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Just use a punch to drive out the pin holding it in place.

CSP
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I thought it was probably that simple, but I have never done it before and wanted to make sure.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep a 1/16" punch in the dimpled portion.  A good sharp whack from a hammer and it will drive the rivet out, and the sling swivel will drop when you pull out the punch.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Hadn't thought of using a punch... I was gonna drill the rivet. I use the side loop for my sling and the bottom one hits the SF light I'm using... I'll try the punch.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hadn't thought of using a punch... I was gonna drill the rivet. I use the side loop for my sling and the bottom one hits the SF light I'm using... I'll try the punch.

U are talKing about the front sling mount that is hanging not a M4 mount inside the FSB. I use a wood chisile and hammer . It comes of real easy .
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

U are talKing about the front sling mount that is hanging not a M4 mount inside the FSB. I use a wood chisile and hammer . It comes of real easy .

Yeah, I was talkin' about the one that hangs off the bottom. Did you just use the chisel to cut off the head of the rivet or what?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine was pinned, used a 3/32 punch to drive the pin out.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Hammer/punch or drill, both work.  Hammer and punch is usually faster, just one good strike usually does it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yep a 1/16" punch in the dimpled portion.  A good sharp whack from a hammer and it will drive the rivet out, and the sling swivel will drop when you pull out the punch.

what he said
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Just did it on my carbine in about 30 sec. With an assist from the wife, of course.

ETA: with a 3/32 punch.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Just removed the bottom "swinger" with a drill and some careful use of it. I figured there was a bigger chance of slipping and messing something up in that tight space with a chisel. No damage drom drilling so it's all good.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:24:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I was talkin' about the one that hangs off the bottom. Did you just use the chisel to cut off the head of the rivet or what?

Yes, it is aluminum so it cuts like butter. One good light wack and it is off.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:18:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I used a dremel to shave down the mushroomed part and then basicaly pushed out the pin. No damage at all.

Invisiblesoul
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top