Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:08:18 PM EDT
can you use an ar to hunt? what can an what cant you hunt with it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you trying to stir the pot or what?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep depending on state laws. I hunt hogs with my mine and I don't hunt deer but there have been plenty of posts with whitetail being taken with an AR.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are you trying to stir the pot or what?

What makes you think he/she is trying to stir the pot? Sounds like a legitimate question to me. Before I hunted I thought it was illegal to hunt with a rifle like an AR, hell I thought a lot of things when I younger and first started getting into guns as a hobby.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:25:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Varmints & Predators are all I would reccomend.

Everything else is stretching it.

Here comes the "shot placement!" crowd.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Zombies man, you uh, forgot the zombies.  You can hunt Zombies with an AR.  

Seriously though, it is a .223.  Treat it as such.  I might hunt deer with an AR, but it would definately be a close range thing.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously though, it is a .223.  Treat it as such.  I might hunt deer with an AR, but it would definately be a close range thing.  

Ya, on very small deer.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:37:31 AM EDT
[#7]
so nothing over dear?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:42:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
so nothing over dear?

Pretty safe bet. Small to medium deer at that. There are people here who hunt deer with their Ar's but from the pictures they aren't big nor small. They work well on hogs of course I normally use a good hunting round versus plinking ammo or military ball.

Check local laws though, they might have some sort of restriction on it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:47:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Whitetail can be taken with good shot placement and the right load. 68gr Black Hills OTM is a very good load for such a thing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:56:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Depends on state laws. i know in washington you cannot use a .223/5.56 on a deer, you can use it on smaller predators, here the round has to be larger than .224 to be used as a medium game round.

If you want to take a ar hunting get a specialty upper. 458socom, 50bewulf, or 10mm...  all of these will work well. or just get an AR10
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:07:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

you can but your shot placement and choice of game should be logical,  For example, predators, coyotes, bobcats, P dogs, the AR is great!  Whitetails/Mulies/ anything larger then a coyote, well I dont think its the best suited....have people killed deer with a 223, yes, is it the best round for a quick clean kill, debatable.  depends on your confidence.

Id say 243 or bigger, 270,  7 mag, 6.5 swed, the good ole 06 are all better deer slayers then the 223.  heck Id take a 22-250 over a 223 for deer any day.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:13:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Whitetail can be taken with good shot placement and the right load. 68gr Black Hills OTM is a very good load for such a thing.

Well....if your going to talk bullets...for deer.  I would say Federals 55 grain trophy Bonded Bear Claw, for deer is better suited.  Now, beyond that, nosler makes another great BTHP for deer.  Hunting bullets and those made for, other applications, are not all great for game.  Nosler makes great game bullets, so does barnes, Barnes X is quite possibly the best hunting bullet out there...depends what you hunt and how much.  I have seen a someone on here... (Thellurider) shoot a hog DEAD IN THE SKULL at less then 25 yards...with a 223 AR, the round was a 68 grain BH match moly coming from his 1:7 noveske, the round glanced off the hog skull, and mainly gave the big pig a headache...after we both witnessed this, we deicded that the 223 isnt the best, for hogs.  We had always wanted to see if one can "skull" a hog with a 223...aparently its not so easy.  Now the 458 SOCOM....thats a different story for hogs and ARs.

ETA, in most states for game animals, ten round mags are the max.  So when I hunt with my AR, even for pigs, I usually leave it with just the ten round mag, plus its easier from the prone position.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:23:46 AM EDT
[#13]
isnt there a hunting section that this has been asked in already???
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:31:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well....if your going to talk bullets...for deer.  I would say Federals 55 grain trophy Bonded Bear Claw, for deer is better suited.  Now, beyond that, nosler makes another great BTHP for deer.  Hunting bullets and those made for, other applications, are not all great for game.  Nosler makes great game bullets, so does barnes, Barnes X is quite possibly the best hunting bullet out there...depends what you hunt and how much.  I have seen a someone on here... (Thellurider) shoot a hog DEAD IN THE SKULL at less then 25 yards...with a 223 AR, the round was a 68 grain BH match moly coming from his 1:7 noveske, the round glanced off the hog skull, and mainly gave the big pig a headache...after we both witnessed this, we deicded that the 223 isnt the best, for hogs.  We had always wanted to see if one can "skull" a hog with a 223...aparently its not so easy.  Now the 458 SOCOM....thats a different story for hogs and ARs.

ETA, in most states for game animals, ten round mags are the max.  So when I hunt with my AR, even for pigs, I usually leave it with just the ten round mag, plus its easier from the prone position.

I know of folks who've taken whitetail with the load in question. I've had good results with it on my own as well. I think it'd do fine.

Also, wasn't there a fella on here who used to take big boars with Q3131A or something?? I swear I remember something like that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:54:32 AM EDT
[#15]
It is illegal in most states to use non-expanding bullets (and OTMs and FMLs are non-expanding) on game, regardless of caliber.

And yes, just like game wardens check duck hunters for lead shot, they will check your rifle ammo.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:09:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Pretty much what everyone else has said. Great for varmints (and zombies ) but there are any number of calibers better suited for game.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:23:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
 I have seen a someone on here... (Thellurider) shoot a hog DEAD IN THE SKULL at less then 25 yards...with a 223 AR, the round was a 68 grain BH match moly coming from his 1:7 noveske, the round glanced off the hog skull, and mainly gave the big pig a headache...after we both witnessed this, we deicded that the 223 isnt the best, for hogs.  .

All that tells you is that a pig has a thick skull and that you shouldn't use target bullets for hunting.  Back of the skull or neck would have given you different results especially with a medium game hunting bullet.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:33:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Winchester Power Point Plus 64 gr JSP has been my whitetail round of choice so far, and I have venison to show for it.  I have tracked deer that others have shot with a 30-06 and Weatherby 7mm Mag with very poor shot placement and I personally know of several deer dead by .223 with competent shooting.  Know your weapon and know your limitations... .223 WILL kill deer.  
You do not need a 2" hole in the deer if you shut down the central nervous system or interrupt the heart or the blood flow to or from it.
I also hunt deer with pistol and use the same philosophy.  
You will never be able to convince some people.  Some men are hung up on size and just don't feel secure without having a really big stick in their hands.      
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:53:43 AM EDT
[#19]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=271604
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#20]
[sigh] People just don't get it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had always maintained my theory of the .223 being too little for hogs; I just proved it to myself.

For the others:

The fact is every ignorant person in the world can argue shot placement. You could conceivably kill a buffalo with a .22 cal pellet rifle, if you had the right "shot placement" However, for this to occur he needs to be close, faced perpendiculur to you, and standing still. I've hunted A LOT and that doesn't happen to often. The fact is there is no replacement for displacement. So take more gun than the minimum so you can take a shot from less than ideal circumstances because this is hunting, and it may be the only shot you'll get. Additionally, as a hunter you SHOULD want to make a humane kill, do you really want to take a rifle/caliber that would be minimizing your chances of a humane kill?

If your idea of hunting hogs is to sit 25 yards from a feeder and watch hogs come in and then pick one.... well, good for you I guess. But that's not real hunting.

Goddamn, I hate when this topic keeps popping up. Honestly, SLAPhAPPY1, go ask your question on a dedicated hunting forum instead of ARFCOM. Try Accuratereloading.com.

The problem you're running into is so many ARFCOM members buy these AR's and all the tactical shit and then have jackshit to do with them but punch paper. After a while they decide they need to shoot something that breathes so they pick hogs. They figure I'll just shoot it 5- 10 times and it'll be dead. Low and behold it works, but is that good hunting ethics? After they've done that once, they figure its conclusive evidence that the .223 will kill a pig. I'm waiting for the day somoene posts that they shot a pig, pissed it off, and then got maimed when it came after them. It's only a matter of time. Darwinism works, just slowly.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 I have seen a someone on here... (Thellurider) shoot a hog DEAD IN THE SKULL at less then 25 yards...with a 223 AR, the round was a 68 grain BH match moly coming from his 1:7 noveske, the round glanced off the hog skull, and mainly gave the big pig a headache...after we both witnessed this, we deicded that the 223 isnt the best, for hogs.  .

All that tells you is that a pig has a thick skull and that you shouldn't use target bullets for hunting.  Back of the skull or neck would have given you different results especially with a medium game hunting bullet.

Quoted:

well no kidding, didnt I CLEARLY state that in a previous post above. SNIP IT FROM ABOVE
Well....if your going to talk bullets...for deer.  I would say Federals 55 grain trophy Bonded Bear Claw, for deer is better suited.  Now, beyond that, nosler makes another great BTHP for deer.  Hunting bullets and those made for, other applications, are not all great for game.  Nosler makes great game bullets, so does barnes, Barnes X is quite possibly the best hunting bullet out there...depends what you hunt and how much. "

While alot of 223 ammo IS NOT hunting bullet worthy, hence why I suggested the FEDERAL 55 grain trophy bonded bear claw, over say Q3131A or anything by BLACK HILLS.  Thellurider did the BH test on a hog just because everyone thinks they can penetrate the hog skull.  Also, sure shot placement, dont make me post pics....Ive done this old song and dance way to often on here.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:09:23 AM EDT
[#23]

The problem you're running into is so many ARFCOM members buy these AR's and all the tactical shit and then have jackshit to do with them but punch paper. After a while they decide they need to shoot something that breathes so they pick hogs. They figure I'll just shoot it 5- 10 times and it'll be dead. Low and behold it works, but is that good hunting ethics? After they've done that once, they figure its conclusive evidence that the .223 will kill a pig. I'm waiting for the day somoene posts that they shot a pig, pissed it off, and then got maimed when it came after them. It's only a matter of time. Darwinism works, just slowly.

Ha, not only that, how many hunters have you seen, with an AR, actually make 5 out of 5 head shots on a moving boar....rare at best.  Granted Im sure its been done, not that often.  You go to a site like Accuratereloading.com and THEY HAVE a dedicated hog hunting section,  read in it, better yet look at the guns those guys use.  They dont go out after hogs with anything less then a 30 cal, usually a 40 cal, 44 mag lever gun, 45-70, heck some of those guys who also hunt in Tx use DG rounds, 375 HH and 416 rigby.  Theres a reason why....
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#24]
I use mine for coyote hunting.

Predators and other pests are all we can hunt with AR's in IL. No rifle season for deer.

WIZZO

BTW, I use a 30rder because the law doesn't set a "maximum"
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:32:06 PM EDT
[#25]
does anyone know wisconsin laws on the number of rounds per mag?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Try the "Hometown" section.... under Wisconsin....  or actually call the DNR or pick up a booklet at ANY good sporting goods store.

Also, try the "General" tab above... scroll about half way down to the Hunting Forum.

You'll have better luck

ETA: or try the Search function.  I found no less than 8 separate posts in ar15 discussions with topic of "hunting" in the last 30 days.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#27]
ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! Where's the ZOMBIES? Kill the ZOMBIES! Kill 'em all!

In reality, like Wizzo said IL doesn't let us hunt deer with a rifle, but coyotes are toast! I happen to handload 65gr Sierra Gamekings and smoke the yotes!

Dave
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
[Seriously though, it is a .223.  .  

Is it ????  This is 2006. Could be a 6.8 or 6.5g. Both damn good deer and hog cartridges.

So yes, if you have the RIGHT AR, you have a good hunting rifle.

rj
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
does anyone know wisconsin laws on the number of rounds per mag?

There is no limit for mag capacity in WI except while hunting waterfowl.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Only thing I will say is that I use mine for predator and varment hunting now I live in Kansas. In Texas I grew up hunting my entire life with a .222 and later in life with a 22-250 and never lost a deer, and yes the deer are a bit smaller down there. I use a .243 now days, I am not much of a 30 caliber fan. My opinion is that if you cant hit the vitals of a deer then you dont need to be hunting at all, regardless of caliber. And I have killed alot of hogs with a 22-250 also, one of my favorite rounds.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I have seen a someone on here... (Thellurider) shoot a hog DEAD IN THE SKULL at less then 25 yards...with a 223 AR, the round was a 68 grain BH match moly coming from his 1:7 noveske, the round glanced off the hog skull, and mainly gave the big pig a headache...after we both witnessed this, we deicded that the 223 isnt the best, for hogs.  We had always wanted to see if one can "skull" a hog with a 223...aparently its not so easy.  Now the 458 SOCOM....thats a different story for hogs and ARs.

I have personally seen a ferral pig (in the 75-90 pound dressed class) take 3 direct head shots from a 30-06 and run off, granted he didn';t go far but he did leave the scene. I have also personally seen another drop on one shot from a .22-250, so I am siding with the placement crowd by and large.

Frankly the head is the WORST place to shoot a hog, the skull is thick and the brain is appaerently small. I hit one about 14 times in the head two years ago with my 16" AR. I fired 17 times at a range of 50-7 yards and can only assume a high percentage of hits since the head was essentially hamburger when he got close and I stepped aside. He tumbled down the hill, fell, but then tried to get up and come back at me before I pulled out the .357 and stopped him.

The head was all I could see to shoot at as he was charging. I am VERY glad I had the bigger magazine and relatively rapid fire weapon at the time but seriously question the round itself for such a personal defense application. I am looking at swapping over to a 7.62X39 for my blaster to gain more penetration against hog skulls. With the 16" barrel and steel sights long range performance is not much of an issue for me, my other AR has a 20" bull and a powerful scope for anything over 125 yards or so.

ETA: I was NOT hunting pigs that day. Figured it deserves mentioning. When hunting whitetail or pigs I use my steeland walnut bolt action Weatherby. I just don't go hiking in the woods without some reasonable firepower. Main threat is rattlesnakes, but certainly add a hog to that list. I used to just carry the magnum wheel gun but I am no quick draw expert and was able to get the CAR on target much faster than i could even draw the 6" barrel revolver. I am questioning the desireability of the .223 for self-protection around there, glad there are no bears!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#32]
WOW
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

In Kentucky at least, you can only have 5 rounds in a semi rifle. Better have a mag that only takes 5 so the game warden doesn't cite you and confiscate your rifle.  

Somethig as small as the .223 I would only use on varmints and small game. I know people have taken deer with them but I only trust larger rounds like .243 and up for that. Just my preference.

By the way, a few years ago KY law was changed so that "any centerfire" is legal for deer and other game. That includes pistol calibers as well. They used to limit you to .357 or .44 by name in pistols.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Sorry,  but I couldn't resist
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.hunt101.com/img/385341.jpg

What did it weigh in at field dressed?

Oh, and
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, and

He was 180 on the hoof.  Didn't weigh after gutting him.  That 70 gr Barnes TSX sure did him ugly inside and left about a 1.5 inch hole on the way out.  Very close-range shot ~30 yards.  Dropped this 120 pound doe 3 days later with the same load.  Also ~30 yards.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, and

He was 180 on the hoof.  Didn't weigh after gutting him.  That 70 gr Barnes TSX sure did him ugly inside and left about a 1.5 inch hole on the way out.  Very close-range shot ~30 yards.  Dropped this 120 pound doe 3 days later with the same load.  Also ~30 yards.
www.hunt101.com/img/342202.JPG

So it was close! You still made my point! IM sent btw.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#38]
I have hunted in, oh a few states....none of which I have ever known Cans to be legal for any game animal...just curious...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Heres Mine from 04'  This was a rather large one over 200lbs   My Win. 64 gr. PP never exit.  and they all drop where hit, 2 made it at most 10 yds.   Thats an entrance wound.  RRA lower Bush Barrel 1x9 16"

Taking in the Ozarks

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I have hunted in, oh a few states....none of which I have ever known Cans to be legal for any game animal...just curious...

Do I look stupid to you  Yes it is legal in SC.  Nothing mentioned at all in the rulebook.  The ONLY limitation on weapons for hunting deer in SC is that it must be a centerfire caliber and no FMJ bullets(and those rules only govern 2 regions of the state & public WMA hunting lands).   In most of the state, you can hunt with a .22 rimfire on private property if you wish to.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do I look stupid to you  Yes it is legal in SC.  Nothing mentioned at all in the rulebook.  The ONLY limitation on weapons for hunting deer in SC is that it must be a centerfire caliber and no FMJ bullets(and those rules only govern 2 regions of the state & public WMA hunting lands).   In most of the state, you can hunt with a .22 rimfire on private property if you wish to.

Just was curious, being in Texas, where the game regs would be called "liberal" (turkey with a rifle...feeder hutning...at 100 yards...baiting...etc) but Texas doesnt allow for cans or full auto on any game animal (now hogs, thats different) and they make it clear in the handbook, you are indeed correct, it is not in the handbook.  I am supirsed its not in there one way or another, but that in the SC game book it states you cant use drugged arrows...but says nothing of full auto or cans

either way, good shooting.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, and

True, but I never said that the .223 was a great deer cartridge.  However, with the right bullet, and proper shot placement it is more than adequate at <100 yards.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just was curious, being in Texas, where the game regs would be called "liberal" (turkey with a rifle...feeder hutning...at 100 yards...baiting...etc) but Texas doesnt allow for cans or full auto on any game animal (now hogs, thats different) and they make it clear in the handbook, you are indeed correct, it is not in the handbook.  I am supirsed its not in there one way or another, but that in the SC game book it states you cant use drugged arrows...but says nothing of full auto or cans

either way, good shooting.

Thanks Cold.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, and

True, but I never said that the .223 was a great deer cartridge.  However, with the right bullet, and proper shot placement it is more than adequate at <100 yards.

And I never said it couldn't be done.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top