Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 2/13/2006 10:22:27 AM EDT
I attended the Shot this year and I have to thank a lot of great folks for putting up with me and my questions and my request for photo...

I also like to thank Rich and SWAT magazine for hosting a great party.

Shout out to a few great guys I finally get to meet in person.. It is always great to put a face to the name...

I had a great time and I hope to attend the show in Orlando next year.

Here we go on the first of three-part report...

At the Colt booth, the new gas piston M4 was on display.  I had a long conversion with Ken Elmore on this new system and it seem to be a very viable alternative to what HK or LW is doing... Colt is looking to release this system by the late 2006.  I think after the rush to be the first on the block, the price will stabilize and it could be a very good product for anyone looking for a monolithic platform gas piston AR.

Ken Elmore posing with the new horse....

close up of the gas block/flip up front sight.

Close up of the bolt carrier group... the key is no longer screw in via the hex screw ala the standard carrier, the screws you see are merely a cover for what is a pressure fit pin underneath to keep the key from shearing off the carrier body.  

Front loading gas piston much in tune with the SG551 or the FAL types.
a small push pin release the piston system.
a spring was also part of the kit but it was not in the photo.

The lower handguard is retained by a locking lever.

This concludes the Colt portion of the pictorial.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice so far....
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#2]
It is on my shopping list already.

Sounds like Colt would love to offer this to the commercial market.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Ken condones this PISTON NONSENSE?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I headed over to the SIG booth to check out the new SG556..

It is indeed the next generation SG55x,

I figure I focus on the SG556SWAT since there were some pictures of the standard version already on the net.

here is some pictures for you to enjoy..

this is the baby in full view...
Ther also had this version in a short barrel with the same rail handguard but the flash hider right in front of the gas block.
I was told the Us LE request the AR stocks to be used.  So hence the adapter for AR stock... nice feature.. I like it... with the stock collapised, it was just right for me...note to myself.. upgrade to SOPMOD or Vltor ASAP...btw, the stock won't fold.

Funny thing was they had a lower profile front sight but the rear flip up was a std AR affair.. even funnier is the rised rail receivers, they mounted flip up ARMS #40 on those... talk about bad applications...I passed on taking a pic of it since I figure they were just trying to stick parts on the gun..Note to myself.. change the grip ASAP....

The quad rail as predicted is of the Brugget & Thomet design, very well made and a much improved alternative to the standard handguard.  notice the lower pro front sight.....

SIG had their own magazine on hand, with ribs along the side which by using an adapter, you can mate two or more magazines together... it was pretty solid, I try to pull a bit on it and it stay inplace.. I did not want to pull to hard and break anything... I would hate for SIG reps to run me down and kick my butt.

Close of the front sight and gas block.

Something of interest... notice the bolt on the receiver in the back.. I suspect that being the quick release for the barrel...if that is it, it would be a nice feature.  but strange thing was the receiver on the standard gun did not have it... I asked the rep but he had no idea, he did not even know what the bolt on the receiver was for... he did not even notice the front sight and the rear sight did not line up on any of the guns...
but to give SIG credit... the SG55x is finally on our shore..

The original bad boy.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Tag.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for posting the pics, very interesting.....
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice pics.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:49:23 AM EDT
[#8]
tag!

Do you have any better pics of the new Sig AR magazine?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I guess I need to start saving my ponies for the pony!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Did you tell KEN that the pics would be for THIS SITE?  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#11]
If ACE makes a folding adaptor for the AR stock, then one could have an AR-type folding+OP-adjustable stock.  That along w/ the removable bbl. feature make this close to a SCAR candidate in its basic specs.  Nice.

Lee,

Did you inspect FN's booth?  The report coming from others has reps stating a 2-3 year wait on any chance of a production release of the ARM  (Previous emails said it would be ~'07).  Did you get the same info.?

Thanks, & nice pics.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Next I headed to Knights.. it is always a pleasure to visit KAC because I always find talking to Lt Col Lutz(retired) a great experience.  Dave is a great friend and awesome weapons expert that have so much to offer to our community.

The man himself and his new baby.. the next gen US military sniper system.. M110.

Close up of the flash hider and the suppressor attachment point.

Lift this latch and the suppressor can be detached much like the MK11.. a ball detent lock the latch in place.

The build in flip up front sight, for now it is activated by loosening a nut and retightening it.. but in the future a flip up feature will be build into the URX and also making it more robust.

The new Leupold SASS optic with Leupold dark earth finish. not as gold as you might think...

Close up of the mount... FORWARD>>>>>>>>>>>>a separate tool is part of the package to keep the mount tighten after a air drop... the scope are to be seperate from the gun during a drop operation.

The adjustable stock and the plastic socket supply in conjunction to the t-wrench for field work so you don't have to carry the t-wrench with you into the field...

The controls... The grip is mold in dark earth. The color match pretty closely.

The entire package.. the hard case, with another smaller hard case for the optics for air drop.. drag bag, gun, magazines, and all misc. tools and parts..  the new SASS mags have a white follower.

Dave and I posing with the M110

The super cool Knights Thermal... small and very handy.. you can't still recognize the facial feature but you definitely can pick out body signatures... check out the very nice quick release mount

another picture of the thermal with the QD mount unlatched.. very nice design on the QD mount which can be applied to various other mounting applications.

OK this is it for now... I have about another 100 pics to go up.. check back tomorrow..

Hope you enjoy it...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Colt plan to offer this to civilians for sure... looking at late 2006 for delivery.. maybe even as upper kits..

Quoted:

Ken still thinks the direct gas would be better... he did mention a direct gas upper would also be available.

Ken knows the pics will be here...

Quoted:
If ACE makes a folding adaptor for the AR stock, then one could have an AR-type folding+OP-adjustable stock.  That along w/ the removable bbl. feature make this close to a SCAR candidate in its basic specs.  Nice.

Lee,

Did you inspect FN's booth?  The report coming from others has reps stating a 2-3 year wait on any chance of a production release of the ARM  (Previous emails said it would be ~'07).  Did you get the same info.?

Thanks, & nice pics.

You would still have to deal with the buffer.. unless you cange the carrier design completely.

I was at the FN booth and took lots of pics of the SCAR.. but it is for personal use only, I was told not to post them...  The 64000 dollar question is about a year and half... that is pretty much in line with the time that took them to release the P90.  since you have to get your sub contractors in line and get approval from the gov't.. a year and half is not too long to wait.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the great pix!  Any news/pix on FN SCAR?  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#17]
KAC has the coolest shit hands down!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#18]
This is the thread I've been waiting for!

Thanks SMGLee!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#19]
sweet,,,more
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Lee,

Thanks, & I agree that ~1.5 yr is not an issue of concern on the FN ARM.  2-3 years might be "politically challenging", as it were.

Curious that the new SIG556 uses the tube to house its recoil spring.  Didn't the original 551 have a buffer rod+spring above the boreline & directly opposite the piston (Like the AK, from which it borrowed op-system design cues) that enabled the folding stock?

Thanks again for info. & pics.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks Chen.  Those pics are awesome....keep 'em comin'!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#22]
tagaroo.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#23]
As always, thanks for the excellent pictures Mr. Lee.

Am I a freak for noticing the beautiful barrel dimpling that's peaking through the SR25 carbine's handguards?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Colt plan to offer this to civilians for sure... looking at late 2006 for delivery.. maybe even as upper kits..

Are you sure of this?  There was another poster who said Colt was going to restrict sales to LEOs only.

BTW, outstanding report.  Am looking very forward to later pics.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Thanks for sharing...awesome pics.

KAC stuff looks great.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Those are outstanding pix, SMGLee. Thank you for sharing them w/us

I am most interested in the Colt's new design, but really enjoy seeing KAC hardware here since we get to see so little of it.

Super job capturing the kind of details others may have missed.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ken still thinks the direct gas would be better... he did mention a direct gas upper would also be available.

That's cool.  Some of the LOUDEST idiots here pissed Ken off before.  I was worried he thought ALL of the members here were a waste of Oxygen.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Great pics.

Tag.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I was at the FN booth and took lots of pics of the SCAR.. but it is for personal use only, I was told not to post them...  The 64000 dollar question is about a year and half... that is pretty much in line with the time that took them to release the P90.  since you have to get your sub contractors in line and get approval from the gov't.. a year and half is not too long to wait.

That's weird... others have posted pics, wonder whats up with that.

Thanks for the pics and looking forward to the rest.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#30]
tag
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Great pics! Thanks for taking the time and sharing them!

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's cool.  Some of the LOUDEST idiots here pissed Ken off before.  I was worried he thought ALL of the members here were a waste of Oxygen.

Why does he believe direct gas is better? Just curious.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Very nice work Chen ...as usual...

You've come up with the fine details most of the other reporters glossed over in favor of eye candy
& fluff...

Thanks much...very professional -imo
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Dave is a great friend and awesome weapons expert that have so much to offer to our community.

I wish they would start offering "it" less sparingly.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for taking the time to post this, Sir.

I look frward to seeing what you have lined up for tomorrow.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Excellent pictures. Thanks for posting
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks Chen!!!  You know what we like!!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Best pics I've seen so far.  I don't really care about the hunting and wheel gun crap
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice I would love to have access to the SHOT Show
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#41]
KAC flip up sights.... drooooooool
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Other folks gave us the much anticipated pictoral massage... your details were the happy ending.  

Well worth the wait... thanks for the information!

- BG

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#43]
I new Colt would win over Bushmaster and Rock River fans................
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Lee has pretty much become the unoffical SHOT Show guru.  He always asks vendors/makers the right questions, posts good pics, & confidence is high w/ his intel.  Pics + the sort of details we really want characterize his SHOT Show threads.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#45]
what was that THING with an 870 attached to it?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Tag.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Does anyone know if the new Colt has quick change barrels?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for all the effort. Well done indeed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Does anyone know if the new Colt has quick change barrels?

It doesn't look like it.  You can see the teeth of the barrel nut in one of the pics Chen posted.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top