BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/2/2006 1:54:29 PM EDT
I go to a 100 yard range that I can pretty much set up what I want.  No glass bottles, bowling pins etc.....  I'm looking for any ideas for fixed targets, re-active targets, and steel targets.  What are your ideas that work good.  Not concerned with store bought rigs.  Mainly for plinking.  Post your pics and details on how you built your range targets.  Lets see them!!!  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any pics, but eggs; potatoes; and balloons (7 or 8") work really well for reactive targets.  The balloons can be blown up anywhere from large cantaloupe size to the size of a tennis ball and they still show positive hits real well.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Try going to the Salvation Army thrift shop type places and pic up crappy pots and pans.  Hang them from a string and they'll react real well.

Clay pigeons work well too, but they're a little harder to set up without just putting them on the backstop.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Here are a couple of home made targets I found.

http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/trainingprops.msnw

http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/trainingprops.msnw
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I like to use pop bottles full of water,you know for sure when you hit them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
MAP gas or propane tanks.  I like the pots and pans idea.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you referring to the small coleman propane tanks? EMPTY of course....that had to be said.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:12:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Bump for more info and more pics...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:16:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Mostly pots.......

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:45:55 AM EDT
[#9]
no pics, but what i did was drill holes in a 1x4 thru the skinny side. then bought a bag of golf tees, and put the tees in the holes, nailed the board up, and take a few dozen eggs w/ me.  i prefer food-items for reactive targets because there is nothing to worry about cleaning up afterward.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#10]
WATER balloons, are lots of fun to shoot at.

Here is what I usually shoot at though, with my AR.  
First, I take a paper bag that I got from the grocery store.  Any that I've been to, will always give you some extra bags upon request.  I usually ask for 3 or 5.

Take a pair of scissors and cut the bag as shown:

Open up each half, and you should have something that looks like this.  
Cut the corners, as it shows in the pic:

You should end up with 2 upper torso targets.  

Use a ruler and draw a line for your first cut, so it ends up more squared and exact.  I just free-handed this one, and I'm tired.  But you get the idea.  

You can add a bullseye to it by tracing a bowl and coloring it in, or by tacking a paper plate (available in many different sizes) to the center mass area.  

Cheap, easy to make, and they will fit/fold easily into your range bag or gun case.  
I think these are pretty close to IDPA or IPSC sized targets, not totally sure though.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:23:15 AM EDT
[#11]
car parts are always fun

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
WATER balloons, are lots of fun to shoot at.

Here is what I usually shoot at though, with my AR.  
First, I take a paper bag that I got from the grocery store.  Any that I've been to, will always give you some extra bags upon request.  I usually ask for 3 or 5.
www.fotothing.com/photos/b55/b55c2e4a2dcd55054424d6114b39ad80.jpg

Take a pair of scissors and cut the bag as shown:
www.fotothing.com/photos/0d7/0d729ac9f5da7ed503d0f31c2baf7ca1.jpg

Open up each half, and you should have something that looks like this.  
Cut the corners, as it shows in the pic:
www.fotothing.com/photos/926/926354f98a50612046310f0c7bf5eaae.jpg

You should end up with 2 upper torso targets.  
www.fotothing.com/photos/35f/35fbef9f1c7c22f6d7ea6451bb8b9ff1.jpg

Use a ruler and draw a line for your first cut, so it ends up more squared and exact.  I just free-handed this one, and I'm tired.  But you get the idea.  

You can add a bullseye to it by tracing a bowl and coloring it in, or by tacking a paper plate (available in many different sizes) to the center mass area.  

Cheap, easy to make, and they will fit/fold easily into your range bag or gun case.  
I think these are pretty close to IDPA or IPSC sized targets, not totally sure though.

That's genius!  Do you work for NASA?  I gotta look in the cupboard for paper bags now..........

I bought a pro made armor plate target suspended by a section of tire rubber.  It will ring when hit, audible at extended ranges.  I just picked up some 1/2" rebar to hang the thing, saving me over $50 on the mount they were selling.

Cheap no-name soda in 2 liter bottles makes an extremely cheap and some what explosive target.

Same for cheap cans of soda.

Crackers work good too.

Clay pidgeons are cheap by the case.[
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Tannerite
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Put a little bit of dish detergent and hit them with a soft point.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#17]
tag
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Put a little bit of dish detergent and hit them with a soft point.

Sweet!  That'd make it easier to see the bottle explode...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I've started using a regular cardboard box. Just stand it on end and staple target to it. Weight it w/ something if windy. Cheap, lasts for 500 rnds. and disposable. My son calls it my Ghetto Target ( first one was a fried chicken box).
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Try Charcoal Briquets. I haven't tried them yet, myself.

GL
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:58:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
car parts are always fun

tacoma4x4.no-ip.com/AR15s/Radiator1.jpg

It'd be funny to see you put water in that.  Although I'm sure you already have
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Take ziplock sandwich bags, and fill them with all-purpose FLOUR.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I've got a related question... I am thinking about building a bullet trap like the one on this website:

www.reloadammo.com/backstop.htm

I would be shooting at 50-100 yard range.  How thick of a piece of steel would I need for the backstop?  I would be shooting non-steel core ammo.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

GL

yeah they workgreat , used em myself before , that ., clay skeet targets , cheap spray paint  works great also especially with a lil fire behind it :o) here's paint
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
no pics, but what i did was drill holes in a 1x4 thru the skinny side. then bought a bag of golf tees, and put the tees in the holes, nailed the board up, and take a few dozen eggs w/ me.  i prefer food-items for reactive targets because there is nothing to worry about cleaning up afterward.

That's the coolest idea I've heard. That would work especially well for eggs and those charcoal biscuits.

I've heard that pieces of drywall are pretty reactive.  They'll give a puff of plaster when hit.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Some I made.

Danny
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#27]
This is good stuff.  I'm gonna be busy at the range next time I go.  Keep posting your ideas.  Its getting better by the post!!!!   Anybody know what kind (thickness) of steel plates are needed for frangible 223?  Where can you get the steel plates from?  Not store bought plates.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Very nice Minuteman.  You must have some skills in cutting that steel.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
chrysler.websitewelcome.com/~user1010/pics/guns/misc/DSCN6016.JPG

Best design I've seen in this thread so far.  It looks like it would fit in a crammed trunk when folded.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Some I made.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=32726

Danny

How thick is that steel?  How did you cut it? Plasma?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Some I made.

Danny

How thick is that steel?  How did you cut it? Plasma?

3/8" with a oxy/acetylene torch (steady hand helps).

I have other targets I made, just no pics right now.

Danny
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#32]
3/8 thick and where can I get my hands on some steel.  What kind of business would have some scrap they might part with???
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
3/8 thick and where can I get my hands on some steel.  What kind of business would have some scrap they might part with???

Check with places that recycle, ones that buy scrap (all types).

Steel suppliers and fabrication shops will sometimes have "Drops" that you can buy left over from jobs.

Danny
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks much...  I will start my search soon.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Offspring, those remind me of something I shot at Fort AP Hill.  In my jarhead days.  Please no jarhead jokes...  lets keep the thread focused...  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Here is some good info on steel targets.  Its a long one I know,  try to cut and paste it together in your browser.

http://www.policeone.com/policeone/frontend/parser.cfm?object=PC&tmpl=root&search=FRACC&operation=full_article&id=67904
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#38]
I hope everyone understands that shooting steel that isn't of the proper hardness is dangerous.  If the steel is soft enough to crater, you run a very real risk of fragments or even whole bullets being returned to the firing line.  

Some of the mild steel targets in this thread are accidents (and lawsuits) waiting to happen if they are used on public ranges....
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#39]
I hope everyone understands that shooting steel that isn't of the proper hardness is dangerous. If the steel is soft enough to crater, you run a very real risk of fragments or even whole bullets being returned to the firing line.

Some of the mild steel targets in this thread are accidents (and lawsuits) waiting to happen if they are used on public ranges....

Good Point... More info on this would be nice...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Never shoot steel with rifle at less than 100 yards.  And wear eye protection.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:45:06 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Here is some good info on steel targets.  Its a long one I know,  try to cut and paste it together in your browser.

http://www.policeone.com/policeone/frontend/parser.cfm?object=PC&tmpl=root&search=FRACC&operation=full_article&id=67904

Good read made it hot.
Here
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#42]
I like to shoot old office equiptment and lawnmowers.

Old cars are fun too especially if they have windows.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:04:38 AM EDT
[#43]
I welded 5 squares of 3/16'' thick stainless steel together with 1 inch between each plate.

I wanted to check out the penitration on my .308.

Well, anything under 200 yards pretty much penitrated through 4 out of the five plates, but it did make that nice "PING!".   .45 and 9mm barely made dents @ 15 yards

Sucks that it didn't last longer for me though.   Didn't try it with .223 yet, but I'm sure that it wont penitrate much, if at all.

No pics though, but it sure did look crazy looking at the plates from the top down and looking at the bullet path.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#44]
This was posted on another forum.

My "Girl Friend with Two Rings" likes to drink bottle water. I save the used bottles refill them with creek water and hammer away.

Clay pigeons make good cheap and challenging targets.

By far the most economical and IMHO the most fun is buying some steel and make yourself some knock down plates. The one pictured below are made form 3/8 plate steel cut in 6 inch squares with two pieces of angle iron welded to one corner to form a base. I painted one side white the other black. They have taken everything from 22lr to 44 Magnum and even some 410 slugs

Nothings more satisfying than the Bang-Ping! of shooting steel.

On a similar note we welded some chain to some old brake rotors of my cavalier and an old Ford Truck and shot those but the cast rotors were to hard and it did not take the welds well or 357 and 44 magnum bullets. The 44 just cracked them up pretty bad. It was good fun for one outing, they probably won’t last more than one or two more shooting sessions

Yellow circles around the hanging brake rotors. The gopher in the foreground has its own page on my website. See link in signiture for that.

This picture above is the plates after much uses and much mud.

The abused Brake Rotors above. The holes and chips are mostly from the 44 Mag and 357 Magnum the rest of the hits that did not penetrate are from one of my two XD-40’s. We got so good at hitting the rotors we put clay in the center tried to see who could shoot the clay out without making the rotor move.

Later
mcb

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:43:25 AM EDT
[#45]
I like your set-up with the black and white targets.  Do they make a pretty good sound when shooting them?  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:08:58 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I like your set-up with the black and white targets.  Do they make a pretty good sound when shooting them?  

He didn't make those. They were posted on another forum.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:18:04 AM EDT
[#47]
tag
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He didn't make those. They were posted on another forum.

IIRC, MCB did say that they make a nice PING sound when they're hit.  Although I'm sure they're not as loud as the rotors which can vibrate a little easier.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GL

yeah they workgreat , used em myself before , that ., clay skeet targets , cheap spray paint  works great also especially with a lil fire behind it :o) here's paint
www.hunt101.com/img/373296.jpg

That ROCKS!  

RRA-A2  The paper bags cut up is very cool.  Great idea.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Some I made.

Danny

Those look identical to the popper targets at the pistol matches.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top