Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/12/2006 2:09:46 PM EDT
I bought a new Bushmaster M4 type 14.5 w/ Permanent Phantom (a six port kind w/o spikes) upper to go onto my old M4 lower. Long story, the lower is part of a bushmaster that was sold during the ban w/ fixed stock and y-comp. However, following the ban, the a3 upper was given an aimpoint, GG&G buis and ADCO attached a phantom (w/ closed bottom port, no spikes) and bayonet lug. The lower was given a rock river arms telestock asembly (all parts, buffer, spring, stock, tube, are all RRA). Then, this year I wanted an eotech. Being an AR kinda guy, I wanted to get both. So I ordered a the new upper and an eotech 512.

When I got the upper, I could tell Bushmaster's work had gone down. The front sight assembly was not filled down and had raised mold lines. (I know they have mold lines, but these stuck up about 2mm on the area holding the gas tube pin) I cleaned the rifle, got the grease out of it, and lube it. Then I begin to hear something like sand paper in my upper. It is the movement of my charging handle! hock.gif I've since shot and cleaned the rifle twice with no malfunctions, but my c-handle has been scraped along its edges. My old M4 upper does not have this issue. The new c-handle is especially sharp around the edges though.

After I broke my new AR in (I sighted it in with about 50 rounds and then ripped 180 through it, woah yeah!) I got home and gave it a cleaning. The upper has bushmasters dry-lube in it, which easily peels off after hoppes elite is applied, so easily, that I just removed it all, like my other upper is. I then see the buffer tube. In the center, there is a ring shape where the carrier has been hitting the buffer. It is slightly scraped and has been exposed to reveal the shiny metal beneath it. The ring is not very deep, not even 1mm, but is very rough. Is this an issue?have
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Please guys, I wanna get the rifle ok'ed so I can make an SPR!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]
1. They aren't mold lines, they're forge lines.  You won't find a forged front sight base without them, only the cast ones are smooth.

2.  Some charging handles get wear on them, it's a moving part.  Make sure it's clean, and its channel is clean, and that it's lubed.  Also make sure you're pulling back straight on it.   Some handles, especially crappy ones, that are really worn can have sharp edges on the sides from people pulling back and not pulling straight.     If it bugs you, buy a new one.  Try CMT (Stag).

3.  You'll get marks on the face of the buffer.  If they're really obnoxious, make sure there are no burrs on the back of the buffer, especially where the little channel is cut for the buffer detent.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
1. They aren't mold lines, they're forge lines.  You won't find a forged front sight base without them, only the cast ones are smooth.

2.  Some charging handles get wear on them, it's a moving part.  Make sure it's clean, and its channel is clean, and that it's lubed.  Also make sure you're pulling back straight on it.   Some handles, especially crappy ones, that are really worn can have sharp edges on the sides from people pulling back and not pulling straight.     If it bugs you, buy a new one.  Try CMT (Stag).

3.  You'll get marks on the face of the buffer.  If they're really obnoxious, make sure there are no burrs on the back of the buffer, especially where the little channel is cut for the buffer detent.

+1
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Post pics.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:08:03 AM EDT
[#5]
without pics it appears that boltcatch has pretty much summed it up.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top