Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/6/2006 8:45:30 AM EDT
I'm still trying to decide on my next rifle purchase and was wondering about the above question.  Obviously, the XCR isn't out yet but my very unreliable sources tell me it's definately coming.  They both seem pretty similar.  The XCR looks pretty good in the Robinson's videos on their website.  POF has been testing their stuff pretty hard in these parts and their system seems pretty reliable (even with the cheapest Wolf ammo).  Any opinions on which would be the "better" purchase?  Thanks!

John
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#1]
You can't compare a product that's out and tested with one that's not.  Give it time.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Absit,

You are right - not a valid question.  How about: should I wait for the XCR to come out or just plunk down the cash for a POF?  Based on the information we have now, will it be that much better a platform?  Ok, these aren't valid questions either.  I HATE waiting!  I want a new toy NOW!  Great, now I sound just like my 3 year old God-child.  Well, I'd still welcome any opinions.  Thanks!

John
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally, I LOVE how the XCR's controls are, far superior to the AR in my opinion.  It's also supposed to be less acurate due to looser tolerances, which is a GOOD thing IMO.  I've long awaited a rifle with AR or better ergonomics with an AK-like bolt.  The gas system doesn't bother me as much as the tolerances.  I would wait, YMMV.  A gas system alone isn't worth the money to me, an action that stands up to dirt and grit like an AK is.  That and the left-side charging handle.  The quick change barrel/caliber system is also quite nice, but again, not what I mainly want.

Gas piston uppers may increase reliability a bit, but that's not the "problem" (my AR malfunctions so little it's not a problem at all, but some people cry about it anyway), it's the tolerances.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't mind waiting if I knew it was only for a couple of weeks or a month as the XCR system looks great.  Those damn videos they have on their website aren't helping matters.

Mr. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me, .... aren't you?

John
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Isnt the XCR capable of swapping barrels?  POF does not have this capability and never will.  You might be better served to comapare the LW MRS/piston combination when it comes out with the XCR when it comes out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Anybody know with any reasonable certainty when the XCRs are coming out?  The Robinson's website says end of January but do we have any moles inside who could update that?  My wife gave me cash for Xmas (she's a keeper) and I need to spend it before the kids find out.

John
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I love the concept of the XCR; it seems he studied everything about successful combat rifles from World War II on and tried to incorporate those lessons in his rifle. So it seems really cool, but, yes, it remains to be proven. (I like the SCAR for the same reasons, by the way.)

Having said that, Mr. Frank at POF makes a helluva product if you want to stay with the AR platform.

Maybe that's your real question: Stay with AR or venture into new territory? If you already have ARs, I'd vote for something new like the XCR.

John
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#8]
John,

You're right - that is the question - get another AR - I've got a LEO Colt and a pre-ban Olympic - or go with something different.  I want something different.  I thought about getting a Galil/Valmet or a Krebs KTR-03 until I saw the XCR.  I'll mull it over until at least next month - if the XCRs aren't out, then I'll decide.  Thanks!

John
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know much at all about the XCR, but I love my POF...  Night and day vs the original AR design...

TS
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#10]
at the risk of sounding like the herd................

Get both!

Seriously, they are different guns all together.

Much like an AR and an AK, or AR and FAL, or UZI

different animals
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:07:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I don't know much at all about the XCR, but I love my POF...  Night and day vs the original AR design...

TS

Since the POF is one of the alternates I have in mind in case the XCR does not come in, can you tell me how it balances? Is it as muzzle heavy as it looks?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:59:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a POF 14.5 in upper and it has been 100%.  I have been more than impressed with fit, finish, and function.

Go for it!

T
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:21:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm still trying to decide on my next rifle purchase and was wondering about the above question.  Obviously, the XCR isn't out yet but my very unreliable sources tell me it's definately coming.  They both seem pretty similar.  The XCR looks pretty good in the Robinson's videos on their website.  POF has been testing their stuff pretty hard in these parts and their system seems pretty reliable (even with the cheapest Wolf ammo).  Any opinions on which would be the "better" purchase?  Thanks!

John

You and I are in the same boat. Except that I have never owned an AR. I know several people who have, but I never liked the idea behind the Direct Gas Impingement System. I too have been watching the XCR since late 04' and have also been thinking about the POF system since I love the ergonomics of the AR system, but dislike it's operation. My Romanian SAR-1 has spoiled me on how damned easy it is to clean and how clean the action stays even when I shoot 500+ rounds of Wolf.

Right now I am leaning towards the POF as it is proven and available. I can always get the XCR later  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:57:38 AM EDT
[#14]
The POF is absoulutely 100% reliable . I can shoot anything out of it and it never fails. It is well thought out, simple, very well made, and very accurate. I dont think that you will be dissapointed if you decide to get one.

They are slightly nose heavy compared to a DI AR. They do kick a little more but I cured this with an MGI Buffer and 2x recoil spring. Rifles shoots extremely smooth now. Very easy follow up shots because there is very little muzzle rise! Im sold on the POF.

Now the XCR , if it ever is released should be pretty close to owning a SCAR. Well thought out and since that it is using some of the best ideas from other assault rifles of the world, it will probably be a winner.

I have owned an M96 and was impressed with it. I never had the problems that alot of others claimed to have. It shot smoother than my AR's but was not quite as accurate. It was a little nose heavy also. Robinson did a decent job with it. Im sure the XCR will be that and a whole lot more.

Like someone else said just save your money and get both.  These are good times that we "assault rifle lovers" live in. We should take advantage of it before some liberal decides we are not responsible enough to own them again.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The POF is absoulutely 100% reliable . I can shoot anything out of it and it never fails. It is well thought out, simple, very well made, and very accurate. I dont think that you will be dissapointed if you decide to get one.

They are slightly nose heavy compared to a DI AR. They do kick a little more but I cured this with an MGI Buffer and 2x recoil spring. Rifles shoots extremely smooth now. Very easy follow up shots because there is very little muzzle rise! Im sold on the POF.

Now the XCR , if it ever is released should be pretty close to owning a SCAR. Well thought out and since that it is using some of the best ideas from other assault rifles of the world, it will probably be a winner.

I have owned an M96 and was impressed with it. I never had the problems that alot of others claimed to have. It shot smoother than my AR's but was not quite as accurate. It was a little nose heavy also. Robinson did a decent job with it. Im sure the XCR will be that and a whole lot more.

Like someone else said just save your money and get both.  These are good times that we "assault rifle lovers" live in. We should take advantage of it before some liberal decides we are not responsible enough to own them again.

Well, that settles it for me, I will definitely be getting the POF first.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Buy the POF if you want a piston AR15

Buy the XCR if you want a SCAR spec weapon

It's all a matter of what you are looking for. They are very different
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, that settles it for me, I will definitely be getting the POF first.

Godd Choice!!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Godd Choice!!!!hr

Indeed, and it will be my first AR to boot!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#19]
A low profile POF version should be coming out that will allow the use of a Troy MRS.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
A low profile POF version should be coming out that will allow the use of a Troy MRS.

Yes this ought to be nice. I think that this will sell very well. Most people that want the POF gas system tend to not like their Predator Rail. I honestly do not know why but this is the case.
The Predator rail is fatter than most aftermarket rail systems but it fits my hands nice. It is also very strong and ridgid. Its made just like the rest of POF's products.  TOP NOTCH!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I have been waiting on the XCR for many months. I also like the POF, maybe a few more beers and I will pull out the CC and order a POF.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have been waiting on the XCR for many months. I also like the POF, maybe a few more beers and I will pull out the CC and order a POF.

I dare you!!!!
Hahaha! They say that alcohol brings out the "Real Personality" in people! Sounds like you really want one! You wont be dissapointed!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Needless to say I ran out of beer and got busy and didn't go buy anymore so I didn't use the CC last night.  The more I read on the POF, I want one but I have been waiting so long on the XCR, I hate to give up this close to its release. I also want a PS90 and of course I can't afford all 3 so I am trying to decide which one or 2 I want. I really want the FN Scar L & H so I feel I need to buy all FN products so they realize there is a civillian market here in the US and they bring their future guns to us.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#24]
you need a poll for shits and giggles
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:38:44 AM EDT
[#25]
No poll but started a thread in the "armory"
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Mr. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me, .... aren't you?

Very clever!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#27]
You cant really compare the two, because the guns were built with totally different intentions.

The XCR is SCAR spec, while the AR15 was built with something else in mind altogether. Personally I think SCAR features are worth more than an AR15 with a piston. SCAR brings more to the table while pistons just make cleaning easier. The verdict is still out on if they make AR15's more reliable to the extent that really matters.

Lets not forget that direct gas Diemaco carbines beat piston based SIG SG55X. That has to mean something
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:53:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I feel so out of the loop, XCR?????
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:02:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I feel so out of the loop, XCR?????

Cool little piece

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:12:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey guys,
Here is a little update about the XCR.Just this Tuesday(Jan.24th)my friend Sonny was in Salt Lake and somehow hooked up with Alex Robinson to test fire a select fire model of the XCR.Sonny, Alex and an engineer fired 1200 rounds thru one gun in both semi and full auto.He said some of the firing was so many rounds so fast that the gun was smoking.He said that it has a unique sound.The gun was fired normally,upside down and butt against a barrier.Alex said that in all the test guns they have had no extractor failures.It seemed to Sonny that the gun is almost ready and should be worth the wait.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top