Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/12/2005 8:24:36 PM EDT
I am relatively new to AR15s.  I purchased a Bushmaster M4 a few months ago and would like to improve its trigger.  I am not sure a) what the difference is between a single stage and double stage and b) what would work best for competition and defense.  Any help with this dilemma would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#1]
A (good) single stage trigger will break cleanly when pressure is applied to it, generally with a fair amount of pull weight. Little or no rearward\ movement of  the trigger before the sear falls.  A two stage allows the trigger to be pulled rearward until you feel it "stop" and then will drop the sear when slightly more pressure is applied(but still less than a single stage). Two stage is better for competition because it allows you to pull back on the trigger, hold, and then add what little pressure is needed to get better lock time(?) and minimize the effects on the rifle from pulling  the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Does a 2 stage trigger make that big a difference? All I have is the original "milspec" trigger in my Bushmaster too so it's all I know. I haven't really shot anybody else's AR15 except my buddy's (also a Bushmaster). All I know is that my bushmaster is easy as hell to bumpfire.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#3]
My stock Bushy trigger is very crisp although quite heavy. In a defense rifle I would have it other way. Now for a competition gun a good 2 stage makes all the difference in the world.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I only notice a difference when using one for competition.  I really don't even feel the two stage when I'm just having fun.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#5]
The single stage trigger does not have a smooth reset.  Does the two stage trigger effect the reset?  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:39:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Two stage has zero effect on locktime.

Two stage cant be bump fired worth a crap due to the longer pull.

Two stage has the same "feel" of reset... heck all triggers have the same feel on reset.  I really am not sure what you mean by the feel of reset comment.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:42:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:15:51 AM EDT
[#8]
http://www.geocities.com/molonlaberkba/triggerjob.html

Or JP replacement springs around 10.00$  Brownells.com    

Or  gunsprings.com
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Two stage has zero effect on locktime.

Sorry, I just didn't know how else to say it. What I meant by that, was the time it takes from you're brain saying to take the shot, and the sear dropping will be shorter with a two stage, because it'll travel less distance and less pressure needs to be applied.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#10]
not really true mt JP is set at 2.5 pounds  most 2 stage trigers are set at 4.5 pounds usally need 2.5 to break the sear. with a 2 stage your still holding 2 pounds of trigger when you have to apply the aditional 2.5 to get the trigger to break.

2 stage triggers are great for CMP type of shooting, a single stage is better for IPSC type shooting.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#11]
correct, but it's only that additional 2.5 that you need. It doesn't feel 4.5lbs right? My 2nd stage is set at 4 ounces IIRC, but I shoot olympic style smallbore competitions
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top