Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/1/2005 5:14:35 PM EDT
Hey all, I finally grew some and painted my precious AR.  Since we don't have an official camo thread, why not start one?

The paint was Krylon Camo Khaki, Medium Brown, and Olive Green.  I put on a base layer of the Khaki and then tore up some paper and used the torn edges for patterns for the green and khaki.  After that, I used the olive and a small patch of net to give the "scales".  I tried to match the area of Florida that I spend alot of time in, and it works in some areas locally.  This is my Florida AR and when I figure out a pattern I want for around the house, I'll probably paint up something else.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#1]
We have done a few camo threads, but not real recently.  

Why not start by telling us about what colors you used, what pattern you wanted, and if you were doing the above to match your area, or just for the look.

I think camo threads are one of the pic threads that actually get read for the content as well as the pics.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#2]
here is mine, AVROE paint, colors: sand base, field drab and earth brown,

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a355/lecherojr/myweapon006.jpg

I got the pattern by using a mesh"sniper veil" I actually got it from a sniper too. and just sprayed the pattern
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a355/lecherojr/myweapon006.jpg

I will do a more random spray the next time I do this though, and I did it to match my AO, don't have any pics of it there though

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a355/lecherojr/myweapon014.jpg
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks good.I use krylon but just on the furniture..it does chip when banged around no matter how many layers and after clear coat..looks good though.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Krylon camo paint.

TG
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Can't say I am a fan of painted guns.  I think OD green or Coyote Brown furniture looks good, but I just prefer my AR's black.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:18:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's mine in Krylon:

I did the original grip also, but I prefer the Hogue....it won't take paint though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#7]
hey that looks really good, why not paint the whole rifle?
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
hey that looks really good, why not paint the whole rifle?

Cuz I'm scared.....maybe one day.

roy d
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh man, nothin to be scared of! what I did is stuffed the muzle with cotton balls and put tape over the end, tape the FSP and RSA, and whatever else you don't want to paint, and spray away, it really easy, and worth it, especially after the job you already done, it'll look awesome!
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#10]
and how did you get that pattern? did you use some kinda stencil? and what colors? that really does look good
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#11]
How bout some pics of some digital "MARPAT" looking camo patterns.  I think that looks awesome, followed by that "scaled" look.  I know someone out there gotta have their AR done up in digital.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#13]
not mine but here ya go

Link Posted: 12/2/2005 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
and how did you get that pattern? did you use some kinda stencil? and what colors? that really does look good

Thanks...I just used a dixie plate and cut out a freeform pattern. I used both the cut out and the negative (hole). I used Krylon Camo paints...Khaki, Olive Drab, and Woodland Brown. Paint everything in Khaki, then hold the cut out piece and spray green sections over the edge and rotate. Then take the plate with the hole cut out and continue rotating while spraying brown. If you mess up...simply back up a step and so over...the key is to move the spray and not spray so it gets thick and gums up or drips. Allow about ten minutes between colors.  I am happy with it...I'll probably do the whole thing, soon.

roy d....i'm not scared to paint it...just that i'll lay it down and never find it again.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#15]
This is so fun…

Always thought the painted guns the guys in harms way have are the coolest, but just hadn’t gotten brave enough to spray paint my own rifle. That is until I saw this one:

My inspiration

To be sure, I also like my black rifles black, but all the other kids are doing it so…

With a little bit of work and some strange looks from family and friends the Krylon came out.

Link Posted: 12/2/2005 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice camo jobs.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Good lookin guns everyone.  

Can someone tell me where the "MARPAT/ARPAT" pattern came from?  I know it's for the desert but why the squares?  Most other camos seem to be "flowing" type patterns but this is clearly a squared off approach.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Did anyone read the new Small Arms Review magazine article about the NDIA?

The introduced a camo wrap for military guns including the M4 (which was shown)

Made by McNetts, the "Camo Form" apparently stretches and clings on all parts - including the barrel.

Army place a order already and will "be fielding soon."

Anyone?
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=4137

check out that scope

No I didn't paint it, came that way.

I was going to comment that I wanted to do an AR in tiger stripe....Very cool

Nice work everyone, keep the pics coming.......
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#22]
All VERY nice camo jobs.  Keep it comin!

Regarding the digital camo pattern, I think the squared off pattern is supposed to trick the eye by breaking up or confusing the solid line of the object.  Actually "infusing" may be more appropriate.  Not too sure but I think this company had something to do with the introduction of the CADPAT (CAnadian Disruptive PATtern) design of which the US marines modified to make MARPAT.  
HYPERSTEALTH Biotechnologies

The link above is to a company that makes the MARPAT/CADPAT design for the ACU's... I think.  The digital camo they design specifically the Spec-AM, is EXACTLY what I want to paint on my rifle (urban scheme tho).  The pictures that lecherojr posted are close to what I have in mind (Thanks, that is a nice camo job too).  

The website goes on about macropatterns and micropatterns blah blah blah... lots of awesome ideas and pictures.

(sigh)

Awesome.

edited for link
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The squared off digital patterns started with canadian cadpat, I believe. I think the squares are supposed to assist in confusing nightvision devices, but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure the German Flectar pattern predated CADPAT -- it's been in use for quite a while.  The Danes are using a similar pattern that has much more green, similar to the Canadian pattern.  The Danish digital pattern was already in widespread use by '98 when I first saw it; not sure when CADPAT became standard.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#24]
thanks for the info
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

+1 on that.  That pattern and color schema is top notch.  Gotta do the whole gun now.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I was going to comment that I wanted to do an AR in tiger stripe....Very cool

I've kicked around a few different camo ideas and patterns for my own gear, and Whisper_44 was nice enough to do a PS variation of my old duty weapon with a tigerstripe pattern.

Again, this is done via computer and isn't a real finish.  This was modeled to give an idea of what a specific pattern would look like.

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The squared off digital patterns started with canadian cadpat, I believe. I think the squares are supposed to assist in confusing nightvision devices, but I'm not sure.

I’ve read on the web that the US developed a pixel-type camouflage pattern called Dual-Tex in the 70s.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I’ve read on the web that the US developed a pixel-type camouflage pattern called Dual-Tex in the 70s.

My first contact with digital camo was in the late 70s at a riverine school, IIRC it was an SBS guy that had a smock in the pattern... anyway, I was told that it was based on a US design. If you think about it, the old US "desert night" was a digital pattern?
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
justin.highpointnetworks.com/images/Rifle/ar15camo1.JPG

I’ll bet that comes in real handy there in North Dakota.

I’ve got family in the very SE corner of the state and they’re always talking about doing stuff like that to go after the little critters. Very cool

Welcome to the forum too.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Krylon

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#33]
     Its mainly coyote brown duracoat. After i striped it with DC i cut out a stencil then sprayed over it with flat black to give it the skullz. The skullz came from an idea that josephr had. Ill go ahead and ask here since this is the camo rifle thread, should i paint the scope and the barrel or just leave it as is. Also, im trying to think of a name for the rifle so i can integrate the name in the camo as the skullz are (maybe paint the name on one of the rail covers) . Any ideas?

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Smithy, I like that, caryin' a gerber on your rifle, good idea, how do you like it? does it ever get in the way? come open at an inoputune time? I might have to steal that idea
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#35]
tagged---there are some good looking camos here!!!!

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:35:29 PM EDT
[#36]
duracoat on one of my markers:

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My first contact with digital camo was in the late 70s at a riverine school, IIRC it was an SBS guy that had a smock in the pattern... anyway, I was told that it was based on a US design. If you think about it, the old US "desert night" was a digital pattern?

And the old US desert night was a German paint scheme for night fighter planes.
All that is old is new again.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Smithy, I like that, caryin' a gerber on your rifle, good idea, how do you like it? does it ever get in the way? come open at an inoputune time? I might have to steal that idea

Well it depends, sometimes i carry the bore snake in it and sometimes i carry the gerber (most of the time a bore snake), it just depends on what im doing. So far its worked out fine. Its held on by 550 cord.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Can someone tell me where the "MARPAT/ARPAT" pattern came from?  I know it's for the desert but why the squares?  Most other camos seem to be "flowing" type patterns but this is clearly a squared off approach.

The various "digital" patterns were developed to fool the eye. I was skeptical until I had the chance to work with some USMC types in the field and saw how well they blended in with the surrounding terrain. The pixels (little squares) actually tend to make the transition from one color to the other kind of 'fuzzy', instead of a hard lined edge like on others, such as woodland camo, therefore, harder to pick out. The usmc has two color schemes for deasert and woodland, using the same pattern. The army pattern is similar but the colors chosen atre supposed to blend with numreous terrains/environments, hence the name "Milti-Cam". In my humble opinion it may blend in well on trhe streets of Tikrit or Kabul, but in the high-desert or woods, forget it. In fact, I have a kilt that was custom made for my in the USMC Desert MARPAT fabric. Also, when I was working hurricane op's in October I had a chance to see the NAvy's new experimental camo for their duty/work uniforms, baasically it's the USMC MARPAT in 3 shades of blue. Strangely cool looking.

As soon as I can find where the wife put the digital cam, I'll post some pics of my desert camo AR-15 A3 carbine.

PS: Smithy,
I'd definately do up the whole thing, in for a penny, in for a pound. Looks great.

John
"I am an American Soldier. I fight where I'm told, and I win where I fight"
Gen.G.S. Patton
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I'll add one to the growing list..

http://www.cgwguns.com/unipatL.gif

I call it  Lfino-pat
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#41]
CamoForm is great stuff.

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The various "digital" patterns were developed to fool the eye. I was skeptical until I had the chance to work with some USMC types in the field and saw how well they blended in with the surrounding terrain. The pixels (little squares) actually tend to make the transition from one color to the other kind of 'fuzzy', instead of a hard lined edge like on others, such as woodland camo, therefore, harder to pick out. The usmc has two color schemes for deasert and woodland, using the same pattern. The army pattern is similar but the colors chosen atre supposed to blend with numreous terrains/environments, hence the name "Milti-Cam". In my humble opinion it may blend in well on trhe streets of Tikrit or Kabul, but in the high-desert or woods, forget it. In fact, I have a kilt that was custom made for my in the USMC Desert MARPAT fabric. Also, when I was working hurricane op's in October I had a chance to see the NAvy's new experimental camo for their duty/work uniforms, baasically it's the USMC MARPAT in 3 shades of blue. Strangely cool looking.

As soon as I can find where the wife put the digital cam, I'll post some pics of my desert camo AR-15 A3 carbine.

PS: Smithy,
I'd definately do up the whole thing, in for a penny, in for a pound. Looks great.

John
"I am an American Soldier. I fight where I'm told, and I win where I fight"
Gen.G.S. Patton

Thank you.  Good information.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
CamoForm is great stuff.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/capcocrunchopoint/CamoForm.jpg

That is great camo, I can't even tell where the barrel is!

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CamoForm is great stuff.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/capcocrunchopoint/CamoForm.jpg

That is great camo, I can't even tell where the barrel is!

I'm still waiting on it
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#45]
not pretty but it blends away in the woods.

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/85/ar153kc.jpg
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Not an AR, but heres my first duracoat camo job I did last week on a remington 597.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Not mine.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#48]
^
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
duracoat on one of my markers:

premium1.uploadit.org/docZox//digicamo.jpg

What colors are these in duracoat. My experience with their woodland set is that the "woodland green" isn't right. I need some guidance with making this green closer to what BDU's look like
The green in the woodland kit is too blue.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#50]
heres a picture of a local sherrifs carry weapon. hes gonna do mine soon as the duracoat gets in. im very excited.http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/7435/uw565vf.jpg
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top