Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2005 4:02:30 AM EDT
I'm finishing up acquiring the "necessities" for a build and am wondering if I could get some feedback on how people like the MIAD integral trigger guard.

Pluses and minuses to this?

I'm definitely putting a MIAD on this build, so if I use the grip's trigger guard I can save a couple bucks.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 5:54:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I like it. It gets your middle finger off of the two sharp little edges of the lower and it is a little wider than a stock trigger guard.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 6:37:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I just received my production exchange MIAD grip from Magpul Industries Corp. and I also have the separate aluminum Magpul trigger guard.

The integral plastic trigger guard is exactly like the aluminum version and the gapper is not required in both versions.

When removing the MIAD grip with the integrated trigger guard there is an additional operation to remove the front pin of the trigger guard. The advantage is that the rear pin of the trigger guard is not pinned to the lower receiver so you save a step in removing it.

The only feature I don't care for with the integral trigger guard is the finger groove because I prefer the A1 grip type.

If the finger groove still bothers me later I'll just get the Magpul aluminum trigger guard and replace the front strap with the smooth insert provided with the MIAD.

That's the advantage of the MIAD system, it could be changed at any time. I like it better than any other grip in the market and I have it in my two carbines.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I did not want any finger grooves and it is my opinion that the MIAD integral triggergurad has a finger groove for the sole purpose of creating a reason for me to spend an extra $20 because if I could get the integral trigger guard without a finger groove I would not have to buy the Magpul trigger guard in aluminum for $20.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I did not want any finger grooves and it is my opinion that the MIAD integral triggergurad has a finger groove for the sole purpose of creating a reason for me to spend an extra $20 because if I could get the integral trigger guard without a finger groove I would not have to buy the Magpul trigger guard in aluminum for $20.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I think I'm gonna give the integral trigger guard a try.

As noted, it's an easy swapout to go to a standard trigger guard if needed.

I wonder if the finger groove can simply be dremeled off without cutting through the plastic?
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#5]
It can but you wont have the horizontal grip texture of the normal MIAD front straps.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#6]
The MIAD is one of the better "upgrades" I've seen for the AR15, and I'm not really a fan of most other grips.  The trigger guard is seamless and integrates into the lower very well.  I'm very used to the A2 pistol grip, so the MIAD design doesn't bother me.  

I don't think you would have any trouble taking the finger groove off if you wanted to spend some time on it.  The smooth portion shouldn't be a big deal as the rest of the surface is quite textured.

As always, mandatory picture inserted below for those of us who are visual people.....
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The trigger guard is seamless and integrates into the lower very well.  I'm very used to the A2 pistol grip, so the MIAD design doesn't bother me.  

I don't think you would have any trouble taking the finger groove off if you wanted to spend some time on it.  The smooth portion shouldn't be a big deal as the rest of the surface is quite textured.

Good info and very nice pic, as usual.

Not sure that grip looks "puppy tested, puppy approved" though.

Link Posted: 11/27/2005 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Unless you're going for a period specific build, I can't see any reason not to use a MIAD guard!
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#9]
After playing around a little bit using the MIAD and the seperate trigger guard, I ended up with the seperate trigger guard and the Tango Down grip... go figure.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Unless you're going for a period specific build, I can't see any reason not to use a MIAD guard!

Damn right, I plan to use it on all future builds.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Not sure that grip looks "puppy tested, puppy approved" though.

I cropped the puppy teeth marks out off the lower portion.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got the MIAD grip/trigger guard. It kicks ass. I love the cores that you can get with it. Tons of options. But, it comes with the most pointless one, the 3 round core. As far as I know, you need to order the rest separately.

Oh, I heard that the 'coyote brown' they use doesn't match most CB's. Which, is obviously crap. Your proof is in my photo and the one before mine. They're a good color, if that matters.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#13]
All  three of my AR15 lowers sport the MIAD with integrated trigger guard. I have a fourth MIAD grip on a lower without the trigger guard, but that's only because the lower is not machined to accept anything but the standard, flat and straight, AR15 trigger guard.

I don't use the storage capability. Although one of the MIAD kits I bought came with the bolt insert instead of the 3 round insert.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The MIAD is one of the better "upgrades" I've seen for the AR15, and I'm not really a fan of most other grips.  The trigger guard is seamless and integrates into the lower very well.  I'm very used to the A2 pistol grip, so the MIAD design doesn't bother me.  

As always, mandatory picture inserted below for those of us who are visual people.....
img351.imageshack.us/img351/9631/p20300208008rv.jpg

Hey what sling mount and sling is that? Nice pic to.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
All  three of my AR15 lowers sport the MIAD with integrated trigger guard. I have a fourth MIAD grip on a lower without the trigger guard, but that's only because the lower is not machined to accept anything but the standard, flat and straight, AR15 trigger guard.

I never heard of that,
what kind of lower is it?
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Try it you'll like it. I got my hand on one ( the full kit )at a gun show and really liked it . So when I got home I looked on the Industry side of this fourm here and ordered one for both of my AR15s.  I would say the two things I like the most about them are , #1 Now I have a grip that fits my hand like a glove and #2 Is the texture wet hands or with a glove on I still get a good hold on the grip. Now I don't think I would own an AR with out one on it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never heard of that,
what kind of lower is it?

As a California resident I have been limited to fixed mag AR-15 kinda-sorta-like lowers since January 1, 2000. The lower receiver in question is a FAB10 with internal fixed magazine that's compatible with most AR15 components except for magazines, magazine catch and bolt catch (mine's one of the earlier ones without a bolt catch). For all the nit-pickers (including myself) you'll notice I didn't group it in with the three AR15 lowers I owned prior to January 1, 2000.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#20]
IMHO the integral trigger group violates the Law of Things That Stick Out.

Things that stick out tend to get broke off...
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Hey what sling mount and sling is that? Nice pic to.

The sling is by JTrusty of this site.  The sling mount is the Daniel Defense EZ CAR Sling Mount.  

This picture shows them both a little better, and since it also shows a MIAD grip, I'll post it.

Link Posted: 11/27/2005 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

How's it stick out?
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#23]

#2 Is the texture wet hands or with a glove on I still get a good hold on the grip.

Is the texture better on the production one?  I put two of the pre-production ones on rifles, and they were very slick.  I replaced a shiny A1 grip on one, and the Magpul one was even slicker.  I don't think that such a slick pistol grip is safe on a rifle.  Has Magpul improved it, because I would never use the phrase "get a good hold" with that grip?z
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes, it is different, and yes, it has very good grip now.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Yes, it is different, and yes, it has very good grip now.

AFAIK there were three renditions: the early ones that you applied grip tape to; the "pre-production" textured version; the production version.

I've never seen the early version.

The "pre-production" version has textured panels molded in that grip and feel fine. I have three.

The "production" version has a newer texture that is more "aggressive" (feels like the texture has more sharp edges for an even more  improved grip). I have one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I don't use the storage capability. Although one of the MIAD kits I bought came with the bolt insert instead of the 3 round insert.

I was able to WECSOG the aluminum magpul trigger guards to fit the FABs on my bench grinder (and some hot fingers!) . I'll bring one with me the next time we get together.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#27]
The CB on the MIAD is a darker CB when compared to other brand CBs, but not by much.

Here's a pic of my skeleton Recce with a Magpul M93B in CB, a MIAD in CB, and all TangoDown products in Dark Earth.  The barrel is done in DuraCoat CB as well and the Magpul ladder panels are in CB.

In person you can barely tell the difference.

Link Posted: 11/27/2005 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I am planning on adding one of these to my Model 614.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I just install mine with integral trigger guard, very nice!!!...quick question: did you guys install a roll pin at all to secure it ? thanks
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#30]
On my duty weapon, yes.  On the training weapon, no.  I let other people use "the mule", so I don't mind swapping out the backstrap to fit the grip to their hand.  A proper grip can make a big difference, so I try to help out where I can.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 7:36:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I just install mine with integral trigger guard, very nice!!!...quick question: did you guys install a roll pin at all to secure it ? thanks

There is a roll pin on the backstrap.  The trigger guard requires removingthe roll pin at the front.  Where the detent at the front of the GI trigger guard would be you put in a small threaded pin.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 7:40:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Then you must really hate the FSB, brass deflector, that mag thingy, the FA, the charging handle (would it be heresy to have a Gasbuster?), any type of optic, or a sling.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 7:44:25 AM EDT
[#33]
If the trigger guard sticks out to far for you, and you're able to break it off, you'll have bigger issues then mising your trigger guard. I don't see any possible way that the small amount of push out on the trigger guard could be a liability.

I like the built in one, but I like the stand alone better since I too prefer the smoothe front strap. But I'd rather use the built in one with the A2 style front strap then not have the trigger guard at all.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top