Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/15/2005 10:53:23 PM EDT
I'm looking for a quality full length 4 rail handguard and was wondering if the YHM models were any good. Any experiences or opinions would be appreciated

I'm currently interested in the one on the bottom.

also, Are they in spec?
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 11:18:28 PM EDT
[#1]
YHM are one of the best bang for your buck deals when it comes to FF and rail systems.  However, you may want to check out Midwest Industries (MI), as they are the nearest competitor and I hear of many people replacing their YHM with the MIs with very good feedback on the MIs.

I plan on going MI.  I believe the only FF they have at the moment is carbine length, though they plan on adding mid and rifle lengths to the list, I'd say fairly soon if you could wait.

I believe they are in spec.  I haven't really heard that the YHM doesn't fit any mounts or grips.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 11:48:56 PM EDT
[#2]
My older YHM ff tube is out of spec, but the newer one works great, everything goes on snug but not too tight. I think it was something they worked out.
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 12:21:49 AM EDT
[#3]
No problems with mine so far,everything locks up tight.They are a bitch to clean underneath though.
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 3:39:08 AM EDT
[#4]
i have the same design free float as pictured in rifle length on one of my rifles and it hasnt given me any problems.

but with M.I. offering a free float that is much better in design i would go with it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 3:41:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the non-railed one on a SBRish rifle. I'm happy with it and it did not cost a ton..
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 3:47:15 AM EDT
[#6]
The YHM is a good value for the money.  I have both non-FF YHM and MI handguards and prefer the MI.  My first YHM was not in spec but the second set was.  Both my new YHM and MI guards fit a TD grip perfectly.
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 3:54:50 AM EDT
[#7]
heres mine, I love it. If i had anything else to put then on I would, but I am sticking to the basics for now..........

Link Posted: 11/16/2005 6:34:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the help guys
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 6:43:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 6:45:29 AM EDT
[#10]
the only thing I ever heard was that the tangodown battle grip did not want to go on there without
some shaving to the grip or hitting the grip down the rail, it is a tight fit.

FYI
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the full length YHM FF on a 20" Ameetec upper and I like it.

+ Fully in spec with no problems mounting a variety of doodads
+ Finish is good and the machine work is excellent.  Color match to my Ameetc upper/lower is good.

- I think it's a tad heavy.  With an A2 stock the balance is a bit further forward that I'd like.  
- I worry about jamming a pinky through the holes and singing off some skin.  Rail pannels seem like a good investment.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top