Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/14/2005 11:33:58 AM EDT
Has anybody shot this upper? What accuracy can you expect from it?

http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=FTBL-LR-02

24" A3 Flattop Bull Barrel Assembly

A3 Upper receiver with Teflon® coating
24" 416 SST Bull Barrel
Aluminum Free Float Tube
All Bull Barrels are now Target Crowned
Bipod stud is supplied w/all Bull Barrel Assemblies but must be installed on all barrel assemblies by the customer
Bolt Carrier Assembly included
Product Code: FTBL-LR-02

http://www.dpmsinc.com/products/FTBL-LR-02.jpg
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I have a DPMS Bullbarrel that is just like that, but it is 16" not 24.

The DPMS 16" will shoot dime size groups and smaller at 100 yards, and a little larger groups at 200. I would think a 24" bull barrel will shoot even better.

I also have a Colt "Elite" A3 with a 24" upper and it is very accurate.

Also, a friend of mine own a DPMS LR .308 24" and that is very accurate too.

Link Posted: 11/14/2005 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Not to sound ignorant but I have a 24" LMT which looks identical to the DPMS. I also am shooting the same as Uzi and shooting between 1/2 and 3/4 groups between 100 and 200 yards. I'm shooting Federal Gold 69 grain BTHP in the 1:8 bore.

You did'nt mention what the twist was in the DPMS barrel and I'm too lazy to look for it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe the twist is 1:9 on those unless you specify 1:8 which mine is.  I bought it a little while back from a friend of a friend who needed money.  Gotta love it.  I just remounted the scope that came on it using a GG&G GS-1 rail to get better eye relief.  Much better now.  I only had it at 50 yards (indoor range closest to my house) with cheap ammo but even then it was very accurate.  I didn't even break out the Bushmaster I was having so much fun.  Now I just have to make it to a real range with some better ammo.  I've shot this rifle before but didn't like where the scope was so I didn't get much use out of it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:20:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all. It has a 1x8 twist. I'll be ordering it around xmas :-)
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I would recommend a good trigger between 2-4 pounds on your lower to get the most out of the upper.
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 5:20:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I would highly recommend it.

I have the exact one and love it.

See the proof in the pudding pics below.

This was with cheap south african ammo at 300 yrds !

Check out those double, triple and quad taps !

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top