Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2005 3:19:13 PM EDT
Has anybody had any experiences with first samco products? I am looking at some tac-rail handguards and cant afford the high dollar ones. The samco handguards are fairly reasonable and have a quad rail set up. Also, im not interested in having to break down my rifle to install a set of handguards. I am wanting to add a light, harris bi-pod, and a vertical grip, and the stock handguards on my Colt Rifle dont leave me too many options for the light, i can install everything else, but the light mounts for stock handguards i dont care to much for. I have had a couple of fobus holsters and dont really care for them, so i am wondering how some guys feel about there rifle handguards, the quality and such.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't like the First Samco because they are made of plastic and they just didn't look good to me.  I also recommend the YHM railed handguards.  I have a set and I am very pleased with them.  The only thing is they do not fit Colt uppers.  I got mine from Bravo Company USA.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Page2.html

If you have a Colt upper, you might look at the Midwest Industries MI#17C list on the same page.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, i checked out midwest inds, and it doesnt appear to have handguards avail for rifles, only the shorty M4's, how about Surefires accessory rails, anybody have any experiences with these?,,they seem like an option. I'm also considering maybe just going with the slant piccatinny mount from an added rail to the top of the stock handguards to mount a light, how do yankee's slant mounts work?
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I for one, think they're sturdy....and dissipate heat fairly well.

I have the First Samco M44......but just dont' buy one new.  Check EE, there's usually a few used ones, that can be had for around $50, or so.

The other thing, is that you probably cannot mount any optics, as it'll move, and doesn't hold zero at all.

But if you want rails, and cooling of the handguards, it'll suit the bill just fine.

Unless you're an Operator/Military/LEO......the First Samco's fine for us civvies.

Some pics of someone shooting my M4gery at the SoCal Burro Canyon Shoots.

Link Posted: 10/24/2005 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#6]
i would put a little more in and get either yankee hill machine, surfire or MI
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I own a set and they once represented a great value because the 4railed aluminum 2 piece sets were still on the drawing boards trying to reduce price for us cheapskates but it also represented a needless outlay of cash because I compromised what I really wanted which in the end cost me that much more money.  For the price go Surefire not that much more money and are American made.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I have the First Samco M44......but just dont' buy one new.  Check EE, there's usually a few used ones, that can be had for around $50, or so.

The other thing, is that you probably cannot mount any optics, as it'll move, and doesn't hold zero at all.

But if you want rails, and cooling of the handguards, it'll suit the bill just fine.

Unless you're an Operator/Military/LEO......the First Samco's fine for us civvies.

home.att.net/~d.p.c.m/wsb/media/209207/DSCF0006.JPG
home.att.net/~d.p.c.m/wsb/media/209207/DSCF0008.JPG
home.att.net/~d.p.c.m/wsb/media/209207/DSCF0011.JPG

The next time you see your shooter friend tell him:
1. Rest his head further forward on the stock (preferably nose to charging handle)

2. Drop his right knee, so he's actually resting on it, to stabilize his position.

sorry, couldn't help myself.  it's a compulsive reaction.

+1 on the YHM handguards, they're about twice as much as 1st Samco guards.  YHM guards are superbly priced considering their quality, they'll probably last the life of the gun.

tweeter
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Bonus for having fun shooting and a nice olive drab job on your rifle.
You lose points for unappropriate usage of funds though. Vltor stock, aimpoint, buis, and yet first samco handguards? Come on dude! You've obviously got the cash, get some real handguards!

+1 on YHM
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Hehe.....he was a newbie, I guess all that non-recoil Airsoft crap got that into him......

As far as cash.....I"m a poor SOB.....anyone who wants to shoot my stuff, BYOA!

My VLOR stock, I picked up here on EE for $80 shipped, Aimpoint...is actually an $80 KNOCKOFF of a Tacpoint, and cheap-o airsoft mount, and BUIS is a used DPMS one, that I also picked up for $50 bucks here on EE.

OD paintjob, is a home sprayed version with a $5 Harbor Freight airbrush, and home compressor, and Duracoat 4ox OD Green paint.

All based on a used HBAR upper, EA lower.

......now you see why I have an M44?  But hey, I can get good groups, rifle eats Wolf ammo all day long, and goes "Bang" when I pull the trigger.....

My budget M4gery.......not the best, but its works just fine.

One day, if I have extra funds....I'll be sure to build one right, maybe an LMT upper....with the 3 STAG lowers I still have lying around.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hehe.....he was a newbie, I guess all that non-recoil Airsoft crap got that into him......

As far as cash.....I"m a poor SOB.....anyone who wants to shoot my stuff, BYOA!

My VLOR stock, I picked up here on EE for $80 shipped, Aimpoint...is actually an $80 KNOCKOFF of a Tacpoint, and cheap-o airsoft mount, and BUIS is a used DPMS one, that I also picked up for $50 bucks here on EE.

OD paintjob, is a home sprayed version with a $5 Harbor Freight airbrush, and home compressor, and Duracoat 4ox OD Green paint.

All based on a used HBAR upper, EA lower.

......now you see why I have an M44?  But hey, I can get good groups, rifle eats Wolf ammo all day long, and goes "Bang" when I pull the trigger.....

My budget M4gery.......not the best, but its works just fine.

One day, if I have extra funds....I'll be sure to build one right, maybe an LMT upper....with the 3 STAG lowers I still have lying around.

do yourself a favor and just forego the problem of chosing handguards, save for an MRP (a monolithic upper) for one of those Stag lowers.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bonus for having fun shooting and a nice olive drab job on your rifle.
You lose points for unappropriate usage of funds though. Vltor stock, aimpoint, buis, and yet first samco handguards? Come on dude! You've obviously got the cash, get some real handguards!

+1 on YHM
i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/steve--oh/poopback.jpg

Man, good thing you took out that big bad rabbit.  Seems like it was about to cause some real trouble.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
 Man, good thing you took out that big bad rabbit.  Seems like it was about to cause some real trouble.

Oh dude you have no idea. It was comin' right for us.

Alrighty suzuki... thats cool. As long as it works for you I guess. Good luck on the other builds.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I have them, uninstalled.  They were on my 20" HBAR Bushmaster A3.  I bought them cause they arent heavy, and they were semi cheap.  I wanted to try a rail system without dumping alot of money into punching holes in paper.  I attached a cheap VFG to it and they both held up pretty well, and they were steady.  Then I bought the First samco bipod adaptor and the harris lookalike bipod.  The bipod is fine but the samco adaptor is total shit.  Too much play.  I didnt really care for VFG so I removed the handguards and now just shoot with the standard issue handguards and iron sights and personally thats just what I prefer.  I still may end up getting an ACOG and build a A4gery.  I didnt realize how heavy the HBAR was until I held a gov profile right after shooting my HBAR.  All in all I think the First Samco is fine esp if you pick one up used in good condition for $50 and you just use it at the range.  I'll end up keeping mine for a while anyways.  heres a pic

and yeah its a plastic handguard, I never abused mine to the point where the VFG would snap the handguard but Im sure its possible.  The handguards are pretty solid though.

Edited to add-  I just realized my friggen rail covers are worth more than the rail!
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#15]
i have the first samco m33 set. just two rails and i love them. just needed something to mount my VFG on and it does it well. i also hate going nose to the charging handle, shoot it fine with my head were its comfy
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top