[#1]
Besides the following AR:
DPMS Panther Carbine (RFA2-PCAR)

Accessories:
A.R.M.S.® #51 CV A1A2 S.I.R.® System
EOTech Holographic Weapon Sight -Model 512A65
Streamlight® “Scorpion” Tactical Light
Fobus Tactical Light Mount
SpecterGear® M.O.U.T. Single Point Sling (Black)
GG&G Sling Adapter
VLTOR Carbine/collapsible Modstock - Model# ACK-2S (Black)
Wilson Combat Tactical Latch
Hogue Grip
DPMS CNC Aluminum Vertical Grip (black anodized)
Georgia Arms G223B ammo - 1000rds.

I have a Glock 21 (.45 ACP - about 300 rds.) and my CCW Taurus PT-140SSP Millineum PRO (.40 S&W - about 50 rds.). More ammo is in store for both. I also have plans for adding a new custom built DPMS AP4 Panther Carbine in the very near future. I would also like to add a Glock 19 and a Wilson Combat CQB. With plenty of ammo, I think I would be perfectly satisfied at that point.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Condoms to keep over the muzzle whilst slung upright in the impending torrential downpours that will preclude the apocolypse.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]
RRA Gov't model carbine...I'll stick with it.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The big void for me:  a GEN III nightvision scope/monocular.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:30:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a fully decked out M4gery with Aimpoint and other goodies.  But my SHTF rifle is my trusty 14.5 A2 configured AR.  No fancy scopes, lights or anything to add weight.  Just plain iron sights and a GI sling.  The only extra parts I have on it are Trijicon night sights and a winter trigger guard.  Its light, compact and easy to carry.  

Think about a true SHTF situation like Katrina.  Do you really want to carry a rifle weighed down with a ton of accessories?  The less your weapon weighs means that much more ammo and survival gear and goods you can carry.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:39:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:55:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Katrina didn't change my choice which is my M4gery with KAC RAS, KAC VFG, TD rail panels, Aimpoint M2, KAC straight mount, Stag ambi selector, KNS pins, TD Battlegrip, Vltor CAR modstock with rubber pad and Specter urban sling.

My L.A. riots SHTF weapon was a Lightweight carbine which I held for about three days straight, I even slept holding it. I was caught with my pants down with only 300 rounds (10 mags).

When the CA national guard came three days later after the start of the riots, I replaced my carbine with my auto shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Actually yeah.  My uber tactical tricked AR I think should be supplemented by a KISS carbine or light-weight 20".
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:17:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I am a full time space shuttle door gunner.  This will never happen to me.....
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#10]
KISS is the way. Clean, light and reliable. When able a good weather resistant carbine. Always a clean, reliable and compact weather resistant pistol. Keep yours concealed but quick at the ready.

God speed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Nope my AR's are good to go just the way they are.

But a Trijicon for the 20" A3 may be in the future.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
KISS is the way. Clean, light and reliable. When able a good weather resistant carbine. Always a clean, reliable and compact weather resistant pistol. Keep yours concealed but quick at the ready.

God speed.

+1

Can't imagine the number folks with decked-out guns with surefire lights, scopes etc. Only to fail with no backup when submerged in water.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Simple set up.  Self-built STAG lower with a RRA 4 position stock and a Colt 16 inch pencil barreled A2 upper.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The only thing that's changed for me, personally, is that I'm considering the addition of a trunk gun for my car. Not so applicable to the Katrina disaster, but while my M4gery and 24" AR are great, they're not going to do me any good at home if something goes down while I'm on the road.

So I'm considering a 16" A3 flattop with carry handle in a soft-sided case with 5 mags and some basic cleaning supplies for the trunk of my car. Also, maybe a gallon of water, some energy bars, and a few other basics. I've got a big car and a big trunk, these items would use virtually no space at all and give me options should the SHTF while away from home.

In case you havent thought of this already. A map pack of your AO in your car at all times. Street as well as topo maps. Obviously a compass and protractor all in a water proof see-through bag.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I would imagine that you'd better have a nice hole to hide in if you plan on hanging onto your rifles with all of the goodies, etc.  If the national guard want to remove you from your house, you aren't taking it with you unless it's in a discreet case and they believe it's luggage, i can almost assure you of that.  But, if you've got a CCW permit and you leave without any real hassle and as long as they aren't searching you, you should be ok with a handgun.  

I'm not sure how people are evacuated, but you aren't going to be walking anywhere with a rifle and eotech slung over your shoulder.  If anyone decided you shouldn't be the one with the gun, it would be a scenario reminiscent of the movie black hawk down in the 2nd downed bird where you are just going to have to shoot as many people as you can or just give it up.  I don't think you are going to give it up.

Anyone see the new war of the worlds?  remember what happened to the guy with the pistol when it was discovered he had a pistol?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Thats the high speed version of my SHTF gear.

I'd like to add some body armor to it, but the funds are low right now.

I most likely would also be using some of my BDU pants, and wearing an under-armor shirt in hot conditions.  Also have some 2-way comm gear that I would bring along, but you get the idea.

Ammo wise, that setup allows me to carry 11 30 round AR15 magazines (10 on the vest, one in the gun), and 4 12 round USP magazines, so I think I'd be alright.

I have a Eagle Industries back-pack I could use in conjunction with the vest, not the best setup since the straps run over some of the ammo pouches, though it is doable and still comfortable.  I'd be able to multiply my ammo load by quite a few times with that, and have room for food and medical supplies if I planned on being mobile for quite some time.  Water is in a camelback, located in the vest, but can also be stored in the backpack, as it too is camelback compatible.

As for individual pics of the firearms...here ya go...

I carry that in a safariland 6004, that allows me to carry the USP cocked and locked, with M2 attached.  I also have a rig for my MK23 that I could use as well, but I like the 6004 much more, and feel better having a light on my TAC, so I'd probably take the TAC instead for the carry methods alone.

Thats my M4 that I would be using.  You can tell whats on it from the picture, pretty much anything you could need short of NV and IR lasers, since I am a cheap bastard.  I've got a spare extractor in the stock, cam pin, all the basics, and the rest of the room in there is taken up by batteries, of which I believe I have 8 total for the 9v pentagon light (yeah I know 9 would make more sense), and I have 3 spare aimpoint batteries in there too, which of course I know I would need for my M3...

Only difference between my M4 now, and that picture is the light.  I have since sold my G2 setup, and replaced it with a 9v pentagon light, using a leupold QD 1 inch scope ring.  Rock solid setup, and it detaches fairly quickly.  I also replaced the picture ML2 with an M3...but it looks the same.  Put the ML2 on my A4gery in a Larue straight mount, on top of the Troy rail.  Sold off the tacpoint and went straight irons on the A2, and thats where I am at now.

But thats pretty much the general idea.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#17]
The only thing I haven't done with my rifle yet (and I've been planning to do so long before the LA SHTF) is to add a good light to the rifle. I'm looking at a Gladius with a mount to go onto new handguards I'm going to purchase. However, I have to wait for funds from the sale of my electronic paintball marker before I can afford it right now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I need that safariland 6004 for mine.damn glad you mentioned that.I was lookin for something for just that application.and I can carry 12 AR mags comfortably and your setup is right on the money.does your carry have 5 2 mag pouches or what?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I need that safariland 6004 for mine.damn glad you mentioned that.I was lookin for something for just that application.and I can carry 12 AR mags comfortably and your setup is right on the money.does your carry have 5 2 mag pouches or what?

I have 3 2-mag pouches, and two pouches for other various items that happen to fit 2 AR mags a peice quite nicely, making a total of 10 in the vest...and 1 in the rifle.

I am considering getting a eagle drop leg pouch for my left leg that will carry a few spare AR mags, and some more USP mags as well.

Also would like to get a dump-mag pouch, so I don't leave anything behind, and can still move quickly.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Also, the 6004 works great.  Glad they made one for the USP that allows one to carry C&L.

If they made a 6004 for the MK23 that allowed you to carry C&L, I'd pick one up ASAP, but I don't believe they do.  Otherwise, I'd be tempted to take that over the USP TAC.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I am a full time space shuttle door gunner.  This will never happen to me.....

So, you are the guy that took my job.  I hope you feel good about yourself.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#22]
If I were in NO, my weapon selections would work fine.   I'd prefer to have a Springfield Socom as my main rifle over a bolt action, but a Mauser is nothing to snuff at.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#23]
There is alot to be said for this kind of situation.  Criminals now have weapons and the police cant get the job done.  I think that in that scenario, its important to KISS.  Basic rifle with a M68 (aimpoint) or ACOG.  Surefire lights are semi-usable in the rain at best.  As far as ammo goes, I can carry 11 mags total (10 in the RACK, 1 in the weapon) plus all the other lickies and chewies I need to operate the way I need to.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#24]
How about armor?  A full vest, as in current GI issue?  Something lighter?  Or nothing at all?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:30:08 AM EDT
[#25]
You AR guys have it all wrong with your mattell action toys, even with the aimpoints,Acogs,lasers, and other whachamacallits. All you need is an AMD65(AK for you uninformed idgits) a vest that holds 8-10 mags, a chinese SKS stripper clip chest rig converted to bandolier only(carries 300 rds on stripper clips) and a trusty old G.I. 45 with 6 mags. The ultimate K.I.S.S., and plenty of knockdown power. Course, if all your worried about is shooting the rats, then an AR might suffice, maybe.

OJF
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:38:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Been thinking more of getting an AOW like a flashlight or cane.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:21:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I was six hours north of Katrina, and if things were really bad here I'd no doubt be on duty with all Uncle Sam's toys, but my house rifle is a match-tuned M-1 Garand with about 400 clipped rounds on hand and a 1911A1 my wife insists is "hers".
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:41:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I know alot of folks are inspired to look at food, water, fuel and other supplies, but. . . .

What about your weapon?  are you re-evaluating your setup?  Go to a lightweight, get a red dot, or what?

I'm thinking sling, 16in LW, loadbearing vest for mags, etc.

One thing I'm going to do now, is start carring more stuff with me where ever I go. Up till now, all I've carried is my CCW weapon. I'm going to put togather a smaller BOB (Bug Out Bag) than my main BOB, that will be with me no matter what vehicle I'm in.

I have a fairly simple CAR, I added a 3 rail mount at the sight, a Tac light and a Laser on it. I have a Halo-thingie, but if it goes I have a ARMS 40 BUIS, and a Trijicon Tritium front post. If eveything dies, I go to Iron Sights like I learned on....
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#29]
One of my Looter-shooters

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#30]
NO I currently have about 2+ plethoras of SHTF guns. Charles.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Nope.  Mine is a bone stock Colt 6920.   Side Arm Glock 19.

Max
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
You AR guys have it all wrong with your mattell action toys, even with the aimpoints,Acogs,lasers, and other whachamacallits. All you need is an AMD65(AK for you uninformed idgits) a vest that holds 8-10 mags, a chinese SKS stripper clip chest rig converted to bandolier only(carries 300 rds on stripper clips) and a trusty old G.I. 45 with 6 mags. The ultimate K.I.S.S., and plenty of knockdown power. Course, if all your worried about is shooting the rats, then an AR might suffice, maybe.

OJF

I chose the AR because I can hit what I want out to 400yds+ if need be. My AK can't do that.

WIZZO

EDIT image courtesy of HERE
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

OJF

Weird.  I know three people who have been shot multiple times with AK rounds.  They're all here to talk about it.  Guess the AK's aren't death rays after all.  I've seen AK's malfunction about as often as I've seen AR's malfunction - not very freakin' often.

I'll stick with my AR's.  Our miltary issues ammo for it, so you will always be able to find it.  They're easier to shoot, and they're american guns.  Good enough for me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Nope. I only have 1 rifle so I don't have much choice.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#35]
The Katrina situation has changed my outlook quite a bit. I have a LONG ar for accuracy type work. heavier than crap. Watching the videos of katrina and pics , 3 things keep coming to my mind, Light weight gear, Water purifying setup, and a good survival basics pack with 5-6 days of light food stuff, energy bars etc. Saying that, my Christmas list for my 3 sons has now become this,

1. A good tactical pack. I have a hydrastorm and love it.
2. A good water purifier for the pac,  such as I use when hiking.
3. A good knife.
4. Survial basics kits
5. Ammo!

These pacs will be packed and ready for a quick grab.

Guns... I have an AR and my oldest son has an AK that I bought him. I HATE IT!! It is NOT near as reliable as my AR.
I am now ordering 4 megga lowers and uppers for a buildup of 4 carbines.  These will get the basic flat top carbine treatment with detatchable a2 style carry handles. They can upgrade them with their own money but this will give us a quick grab and dash lightwieght setup.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#36]
since my M4 still isnt reliable after 500+ rounds through it, i'd be forced to rely on my AK47, AK74 and fall back on my CCW... which is too bad, since i'd love to pick head shots off the flesh eating zombies and/or looters with my M4 /w EOTech (which is why i bought the damn thing to begin with! )
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#37]
I am wondering now if my Cavalry Arms lowered carbine will float? Other than that we're good to go.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Negative.  I'm set for every realistic situation that could arise in my AOPs short of taking on armor or enemy spaceships.

Other than rotating expendables I'm good to go. Strategy is to lay low & watch how things play out.

What no phazed pulse rifle to take out spaceships?   Why not?
Didn't you know that according to the Liberal media that our AR-15s are capable of taking out armored vehicles........
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#39]
More ammo, more mags and more batteries for the EOTech.  I also need to add a BUIS and a Safariland dropdown holster for the Sig.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:00:24 PM EDT
[#40]
What's that about water purifying capability?  How does that work?

Or is it true, you just scoop up some of th semi-toxic water in your canteen, pee in it, and all the germs are dead?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:37:46 AM EDT
[#41]
I bought a used hot air balloon and lined it with kevlar blankets, as well as an inflatable white water raft and a parachute.  My Carbon 15 and 60 rounds takes up all the weight I can afford to devote to weapons.  Gotta save room for water in my balloon.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:42:31 AM EDT
[#42]
nope....as seen here in my poor man's dinner pic...my AR is just fine the way it is for SHTF in my opinion.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:08:15 AM EDT
[#43]
SHTF?

Good to have:

Lightweight as possible.
Short and not bulky
BUIS
Waterproof optic
Long battery life for optic
Waterproof ammo
Decent sling
Labelle Mags
A compartment to at least carry a tiny bottle of oil or a boresnake.

US GI mags, Aimpoint, Chrome lined pencil barrel are all things that fit well for those requirements.

A 10lb railed HBAR behemouth with every gadget in the world isn't going to be real useful in a SHTF, especially if you need to hike out of a city, town, or county for miles and miles in the hot sun. Remember, your rifle might not be the only thing you have to carry or drag along with you.

Reliability mods like followers, extractor inserts etc...are all ok.

If you don't like optics or any add ons, I cannot think of a more perfect rifle than the Colt 6520. Has sights already, no need for BUIS.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:21:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Would this qualify as a SHTF gun?

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:33:52 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Nope, not even a little.

Same here.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:49:16 AM EDT
[#46]
A GenIII monocular/scope would be very useful, unless the National Looters Union decides to limit all operations to daylight hours.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:11:06 AM EDT
[#47]
SHTF?

sell all M4's and buy Mk-19...thats what they need down there.

all seriousness I am going down there for security missions and I am bringing this:

and this:
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:22:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
SHTF?

all seriousness I am going down there for security missions and I am bringing this:
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/simplydynamic/1.jpg
and this:
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/simplydynamic/7a.jpg

Holy big ass ACOG!! Can ya tell us a bit more about that set up, and the bottom one too. Is that a can on the bottom gun?? Never seen one like that before.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:02:38 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SHTF?

and this:

Holy big ass ACOG!! Can ya tell us a bit more about that set up, and the bottom one too. Is that a can on the bottom gun?? Never seen one like that before.

Hell with the can, do I see a fun pin on the lower one?

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
SHTF?

and this:

Hell with the can, do I see a fun pin on the lower one?

WIZZO

Happy switches are overrated. You don't need it 99% of the time. The suppressor is more usable to a civis like meself then the happy switch, now granted I would love one for fun at the range, but when it comes to practicality and what would be more useful in a SHTF situation like in NO, the suppressor is more useful then FA.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top