Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/12/2005 5:22:28 AM EDT
So I'm out shooting yesterday, load up the AR, chamber a round, shoot first round, then 'click'.
No round chambered.  First round ejected, but no second round chambered.

After 2 more tries and 2 other mags no difference.

I disassemble the rifle, inspect the bolt carrier and notice that one of the screw heads on my key has broken completely off while leaving the screw portion inside the bolt carrier.  UGH

Anyone ever have this happen?  Do you think that Bushmaster will help me out with this?  I am leaving today for the weekend, but will take the other screw out remove the key, and see if I can take the screw portion out on my own.  

Has anyone ever had this happen?  Seems kinda wierd to me.  If I can't take the screw remnants out on my own, I guess I'll have to talk to Bushmaster and send the assembly back to them...

What do y'all think?

Don
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:38:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Just drill it out and take the broken screw out with an EZ-Out. You can get a replacement socket head cap screw at your local hardware store.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:57:54 AM EDT
[#2]
See if you can find a left handed thread drill bit, and extractor.

I've only seen them on the snap on and mac tools trucks at work, but I'm sure craftsman or harbor freight would have something. That'd probably be your best bet instead of drilling it out with a normal bit.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:03:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Those don't bottom out, I think, and it is very likely that the busted part will come out rather easily.  It's when screws bottom out that you could have issues with them coming out hard when sheared off.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:18:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool thanks all, I'll see what I can do next week...

Don
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:25:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Working in an industrial environment for going on twenty years, now, I've broken more than a few bolts off.  Often times, if the bolt isn't bottomed out, you can simply press your thumb on the remaining part of the bolt and spin it out.  If it has seen extreme side force and broke due to that, sometimes the bolt and hole get deformed and this isn't possible.  Hope for the best.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:25:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Mongos correct, It should come out easily.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Mongo - 'preciate the help from everyone
D
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:13:11 AM EDT
[#8]
When I bought my first Bushmaster, the same thing happened.  The first range session, I couldn't get it to fire, extract, and feed more than a couple rounds in a row.

When I opened it up one of the carrier key screws had sheared off.  I called bushmaster and they replaced the whole bolt and carrier.  I don't know if your rifle is new, but this isn't the first time I've heard this from someone else.

I think I'll be getting the B/BC from someone other than Bushmaster for the next rifle I build.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#9]
it should come out easily as the others have stated.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:15:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
When I bought my first Bushmaster, the same thing happened.  The first range session, I couldn't get it to fire, extract, and feed more than a couple rounds in a row.

When I opened it up one of the carrier key screws had sheared off.  I called bushmaster and they replaced the whole bolt and carrier.  I don't know if your rifle is new, but this isn't the first time I've heard this from someone else.

I think I'll be getting the B/BC from someone other than Bushmaster for the next rifle I build.

A big +1
I hate to say it because it has been said over & over, Plus I am an admitted Colt cool aid drinker.
Only use Milspec (As in Proof & MP tested)  Bolts/Barrels/Carriers. I try to use only Colt,  If I want chrome plated I use Young Mfg..
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#11]
more for me
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:27:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Heard from BM this morning.
Said to send the Bolt Carrier back and they will repair under warranty.

BM rocks!!!!!!  No Coolaid here!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:33:37 AM EDT
[#13]
but still, BM is crap for letting their product fail on the first round..............sorry I wouldnt ever EVER ever buy or even look at BM. just my opinion
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:38:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
but still, BM is crap for letting their product fail on the first round..............sorry I wouldnt ever EVER ever buy or even look at BM. just my opinion

When ever you mass produce as such a level that BM is probably doing... some things just slip. You cant help it.. its how they take care of you after that counts.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:41:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Do you have a spare to use in the meantime Gunner? If not, would you like to borrow one? I noticed that you live in ME, so if you needed one we could always meet halfway or something.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hate to say it because it has been said over & over, Plus I am an admitted Colt cool aid drinker.
Only use Milspec (As in Proof & MP tested)  Bolts/Barrels/Carriers. I try to use only Colt,  If I want chrome plated I use Young Mfg..

Do you think that Colt inspects each cap screw they use to assemble carrier keys on to carriers?  

The problem is not the bolt or the carrier, with with a SCREW.  Those screws sometimes break.  They are mass-produced and have a SAMPLE tested in each batch, but there's always the possibility of an occasional bad screw.  Machines break.  Even our best jet aircraft need lots of spare parts.

This isn't a brand issue.  Keep in mind the sheer number of Bushmaster rifles produced each year compared to the rest of the industry...

-Troy

Big +1...I bet the same supplier to BM, supplies everyone else...it's not Bushy's fault that a screw failed...

If you think Colt is better, keep in mind that I have seen not one, but 2 Colt bolts shear off a lug, in less than 100 rounds...
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you think that Colt inspects each cap screw they use to assemble carrier keys on to carriers?  

The problem is not the bolt or the carrier, with with a SCREW.  Those screws sometimes break.  They are mass-produced and have a SAMPLE tested in each batch, but there's always the possibility of an occasional bad screw.  Machines break.  Even our best jet aircraft need lots of spare parts.

This isn't a brand issue.  Keep in mind the sheer number of Bushmaster rifles produced each year compared to the rest of the industry...

-Troy

While I can't argue with Troy that even Colt screws are liable to break once in awhile, I do find it interesting (significant?) that the socket size of the Colt carrier screws is different from every aftermarket carrier screw I've ever seen. It does make me wonder if Colt has these screws made to certain specs, while everyone else is using off the shelf stuff.

In any event, all my bolts and carriers are Colt anyway, and not just for the screws
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:21:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Unless they have changed Colt does use a different screw then the other companies do. The Colt screw uses a smaller allen wrench which leaves more metal to attach the head to the screw.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Metric?HeHeHe
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Failing screws is the reason I have a job.  The company I work for makes the equipment that 100% inspects the fasteners on your car for dimensional specs. and basic metalurgical specs.

Mectron

In my expirience it is very easy to get a bad bolt in a batch of otherwise top notch bolts.  With the margins the gun manufacturers are running I bet it is less expensive to do an occasional waranty rework than it is to inspect to the level the auto industry does.  (i.e. Sending back a bolt carrier with a bad bolt might cost $30; replacing an engine with a bad connecting rod bolt might cost $3000)

Kent
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Right, because it's realistic to inspect every single bolt/screw and even then, none will ever fail.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Troy

While I can't argue with Troy that even Colt screws are liable to break once in awhile, I do find it interesting (significant?) that the socket size of the Colt carrier screws is different from every aftermarket carrier screw I've ever seen. It does make me wonder if Colt has these screws made to certain specs, while everyone else is using off the shelf stuff.

In any event, all my bolts and carriers are Colt anyway, and not just for the screws

I am glad I am not the only one to have noticed this!  

I don't think that Colt inspects every screw on every rifle, But when you consider the number of colt rifles out there (10 Million+, I have no Idea) and the abuse they have been through (Used by the US armed forces in every theater of war since Vietnam), the small number of failures they have is excellent.
Now when you consider the small number of bushy's out there & the fact that most are just used as big boys toys at the local rifle range, the number of failures seems incredible.
It sort of reminds me of comparing a Springfield armory Inc Garand to a USGI Garand, If the USGI is available & runs good why buy a Non USGI springfield that runs like crap?
But this is just an internet opinion so who really cares anyway!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have a spare to use in the meantime Gunner? If not, would you like to borrow one? I noticed that you live in ME, so if you needed one we could always meet halfway or something.

CJan, Thanks very much for the offer, I'm out of rounds for now anyway...I REALLY appreciate the offer!!!

BTW - BM is fixing this part after 2000 rounds fired - 1st of that particular shooting session - I bought the carbine back in 98.

BM rocks - bolts break - sh** happens - It's all about customer service???

thanks again CJan
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CJan, Thanks very much for the offer, I'm out of rounds for now anyway...I REALLY appreciate the offer!!!

BTW - BM is fixing this part after 2000 rounds fired - 1st of that particular shooting session - I bought the carbine back in 98.

BM rocks - bolts break - sh** happens - It's all about customer service???

thanks again CJan

No sweat Brother

I'm glad that Bushy is doing the right thing. I live only a few minutes away from the ME border, so if you're ever in a jam and need a part fast just give me a shout.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Will do - Thanks again   You da man!!!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top